1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Owl of Mineva needs to be changed

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Haku, May 22, 2020.

1. Haku

Haku Dark Stone Golem

Nov 29, 2019
    6:33 AM
    Haku, Avoid
    Night Lord
    Agape
    Being able to search the cheapest price in the FM at almost no cost to you because you're probably voting on mules is simply overpowered in my opinion. Owls cost real money back then to use before it was moved to general stores which you can buy for mesos. This was not how V62 was back then. Remember having to surf the FM just to gauge how much something might cost?

Being able to owl that many times has its affects on how the market functions.
    1) The market now functions as an auction house that let's you browse through prices.
    2) Store spots are now irrelevant. If you want to sell something, just simply undercut everyone. It makes it difficult to keep prices competitive and wanting to sell items at a higher value. (See mw20 / gen30)
    3) Market monopolies. Want to control the market for a single item (usually scrolls?) Just buy out the whole FM supply.

It impacts a large aspect of this game that seems to have gone unnoticed by many. Before unlimited voting was allowed, owls were abused less because you were only able to vote on one account with a few people getting away with vote abuse. Owls need a rework in my opinion. Whether that would be raising the nx cost or putting them in general stores for a fixed amount and not something cheap.(Would prefer this option) Maybe 100k? Definitely not 1k mesos.

Anyway, that's just my take on it. Trust me, I'm all for being able to quickly search how much I should sell my items for a quick buck, but it's gotten pretty lame that I have to undercut the majority of suppliers just to be able to sell something. Obviously some will figure out a work around this such as sharing prices to each other in game or discord, but I say that's better than the current state that it's in. With this change, store locations might actually matter more and FM spots with higher traffic will gain a slight advantage compared to an undercutting store in a less popular FM.

What's your opinion?

• Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    3:33 PM
    Beginner
    You contradict yourself. It cant be hard to sell an item for a high price while you can also control the market by buying the supply.
    My opinion is that it makes for a bad argument. And also, the market is fine imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Haku

Haku Dark Stone Golem

Nov 29, 2019
    Haku, Avoid
    Night Lord
    Agape
    That only applies to certain items such as scrolls. This does not apply to much more expensive items.

4. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Y?

5. OP
    OP
    Haku

Haku Dark Stone Golem

Nov 29, 2019
    Haku, Avoid
    Night Lord
    Agape
    You can buy out the cheapest scrolls in the FM to raise the floor price and sell at a much higher price.
    You can't buy out the whole supply of mw20 / gen 30s in the FM in effort to raise the price higher.

6. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Sure you can. There are players and guilds rich enough to do that.

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. Xydan

Xydan Chronos

Feb 1, 2019
    Male
    9:33 AM
    Xydan
    It's not a contradiction at all actually. You're assuming both points apply equally to all actors, when each point actually affects different actors. In fact, your very criticism falls apart because we can observe both phenomena in real-world economies. Different people/actors operate under different pressures and have access to different tools to manipulate the economy depending on their wealth.

If you're a new player with limited funds, it's very much impossible to directly affect the economy due to a limited ability to purchase and turn over goods at a perceivable scale. If you have massive funds, buying out demanded items of a limited quantity to fix prices is very doable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. healskys

healskys Slime

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    9:33 PM
    Owls are vote2win, whether we like it or not, compounded by the fact that you can vote on multiple mules, doesn’t make sense to me..
    As to whether owls need to be changed, I don’t really see a need to, even though it seems overpowered to have theoretically infinite owls. It is still fair in the sense because everyone can do it.
    It’s an item of convenience at its core - now any player can set up his shop at any spot of the fm, check the prices via owl (especially useful for newer players) and adjust and undercut their prices accordingly based on how fast they want to sell their item.
    It also makes fm spots way less valuable, which is a huge plus because you can put your store anywhere and still sell your item at a reasonable time if your prices are reasonable. Makes it fairer in the sense because players that have fm spots that are generally more patronised (fm1cc1 for e.g) do not gain a competitive edge over the rest.
    So with the implementation of infinite owls, it becomes a fair-playing ground for all. But as to the cons of having this privilege, I’m not sure what the repercussions are and if they are significant, then perhaps a change is necessary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    I've always hated the fact that there were such things as "prime fm spots", just really backward in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
  11. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Remember the good old times when cakesogood could make threads?

I think it’s actually healthier for owls to be in their current state than if they were more expensive. Being able to search for what you need at no cost is pretty nice, and worth the fact that people can’t abuse fm spots to jack up prices.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    Changing owl dynamics would fuck over newer players disproportionately because they would have less access to the best prices (which they need most). Everybody can farm owls--so everything is actually fair right now. I also don't really see any value in doing this, it would just completely over-complicate buying things. Moreover, most players aren't here to spend 3 hours looking for things in the FM (I'm not), which would in turn probably lead to a market crash as demand would go down and supply would still be spiking. The massive drop in prices we're experiencing now is not because of owls, it is because new players are adding supply to the market, but most have yet to reach (and may never reach) the point where they will be contributing to demand. So the supply is increasing but the demand is not.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  13. OP
    OP
    Haku

Haku Dark Stone Golem

Nov 29, 2019
    Haku, Avoid
    Night Lord
    Agape
    Thanks for the input everyone! Definitely some good points.

14. TheFalseKing

TheFalseKing Slime

Jun 12, 2018
    Female
    Maple Island Janitor
    TheFalseKing
    Beginner
    :)
    So they should close the entire Cash Shop just because you can vote on your mules aswell

MapleF3

• Disagree Disagree x 1