1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pirate jootphabet's guide to Horntail as a Buccaneer

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by joota, May 8, 2020.

1. Satella

Satella Red Snail

Oct 30, 2019
    Male
    6:21 AM
    Bishopgod has 11k HP with HB =X

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. OP
    OP
    joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    3:21 AM
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    Just wanted to give an update that I have stopped using the hybrid strategy in HT. Instead, I am only running as a right-head attacker (same as ranged strat written above but attacking right head and mid head instead of left head and mid head). Still nothing impressive, but I get a higher DPM (4.72mil on a 6 person run which is slightly higher than my dpm attacking left side ranged) attacking right head. Now I'm with the party at all times for buffs AND I get to attack heads (and NOT wings SelquinSelquin teehee). I'm still not great at the new strat and I think there is a much higher skill cap to optimize right head ranged, so I think the DPM will go up and up and up! I'll write more about how I attack right head later.

• Like Like x 2
  3. vampiredio

vampiredio Brown Teddy

May 22, 2019
    Washington
    cuppyteeth
    Buccaneer
    Sometimes, as an aspiring bucc, these threads make me sad LOL; I realize that bucc is not a "desirable" party member for HT runs other than for SI/TL but it isn't particularly encouraging or helpful to consistently read about how unwanted and useless we are in bossing. Whether its statistically true or not, don't yall like to... idk... have fun sometimes and not worry about efficiency and min-maxing every aspect of the game? Like, do you not play your characters because you enjoy them?

• Like Like x 1
  4. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    It's like that for most underplayed classes. Marksman and corsair were also viewed as the same way. But, all it takes is one dedicated player to change peoples minds :).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    You make it sound like figuring out the most efficient way to play your character is not fun. I mean, I know fun is subjective for everyone and shit, but if you don't have fun figuring out your character's class then why do you even play that class?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. vampiredio

vampiredio Brown Teddy

May 22, 2019
    Washington
    cuppyteeth
    Buccaneer
    I don't personally play for efficiency or knowing every mechanic of my character etc... I've never been that type of player over the last like, 13 years, I just like leveling and meeting new people and doing some lax bossing. I understand everyone has a different play style, that just isn't mine. I think it's fine and dandy to be critical of a class and its short comings but sometimes those criticisms seem to be aimed more at the people who choose to play a less desired class than at the game itself; I hope that makes sense.

• Like Like x 2
  7. d3lm

d3lm Selkie Jr.

May 11, 2020
    Male
    5:21 PM
    I honestly don't know what to reply here because I just lvled to 133 as a new bucc and have only been into a HT run once :3 definitely will come back here once I'm ready to fighttt (at 17x prolly LOL). Anyways Imma have to save up mesos as I've saved the blueprints for my future equips :p thx for the guide!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    Fun tip for those who attack right head:
    -if you wear snowshoes and position yourself right above the rope (you can make sure by going down the rope and back up quickly) you will never fall off the top platforms.
    -you can use csb to get back onto the top platform in mid air if you start falling to the left after barraging the right head.

9. Dawnie

Dawnie Mushmom

Nov 19, 2016
    Female
    Malaysia
    6:21 PM
    Dawnielle, DirtySoul
    Night Lord
    Heaven
    Only thing is u do this EVERY TIME u get knocked off. Which is almost 100% of the time when u dont have bubble. :c

10. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    DawnieDawnie unless you get dex heavy equips for avoid! Also considering that because of iframes we can only get hit 30 times at most every minute with demolition, it's not too bad!

11. Dawnie

Dawnie Mushmom

Nov 19, 2016
    Female
    Malaysia
    Dawnielle, DirtySoul
    Night Lord
    Heaven
    TBH, i felt people often give too much credits on buccaneer's iframes. Demolition gives iframes but it isnt that great as people had mentioned overtimes. You get hit very often when your attack animation is coming back and you cant move to reposition. Which is sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    The new Horntail may seem daunting especially for a buccaneer, but here are some tips as someone who has been been attacking right head to stay with the rest of the party for quite some time now:

1) Get snowshoes!
    upload_2020-9-2_10-0-30.png
    If you stand directly above the rope and use demolition wearing snowshoes, you will always fall to the bottom left platform, not the ground. You will also always hit mid or right head (yes 100%). One thing that does happen often is as you cast demolition, you will get hit, sending you to the bottom small platform. This means by the time you end your demo cast, you will be a prime target for another unlucky hit, knocking you off to the ground. The best you can do here is rightarrow+jump and hope the next attack gets you while jumping so you get knocked back onto the same platform instead of the ground.

2) You can choose which head (mid/right) you want to attack if you're directly above the rope!
    Do right head cancels kiiiiiiill your meaningful dpm like crazy? Does SelquinSelquin toxic laugh react at you for attacking wings when right head is cancelled? Well fret no more! With the brand new product called ~player skill~ you can attack mid head just like SelquinSelquin!

The first thing to note is that the right head moves around in a circle:
    upload_2020-9-2_10-5-45.png
    You can use this to your advantage to choose which head to attack. Basically, you divide up the rotation by when the head is on the bottom half of its cycle and top half of its cycle. When it's on the bottom half, your demolition will hit mid head; when it's on the top half, your demolition will hit right head:
    upload_2020-9-2_10-8-56.png upload_2020-9-2_10-9-31.png
    In the first picture, if you demolition from right above the rope, you will hit mid head. In the second, you will hit right head. Choose your pick!

3) You can cleave all three heads!
    You heard right! When the left head is not ducking, you can cleave all three heads by positioning yourself:
    upload_2020-9-2_10-12-18.png
    Use Corkscrew Blow from the bottom platform, right under the rope, to the top left platform and the skill will position you to the very edge of the platform (you can also do it manually by walking over, but it's hard at first!). From here, Dragon Strike will cleave all three heads (2 heads when left head is ducking).

4) Time your ST to maximize having Energy Charge (for stance) while ST is in cooldown
    From 0 charge to full charge requires 44 demolition casts. With no interruptions, that will take about 1min30sec. However due to HT interrupting you, a lot of the time you will proc Energy Charge the moment you end ST. Now once ST is over, you go to the left platform next to the right head and attack from a close range since you will have Energy Charge (stance). Here you have 2 viable options in attacking
    i. Barrage+DS (this will focus right head but maximize head cleaving damage)
    ii. DS+Orb/DS+Energy Drain x2 (This does more damage than combo i. only if all three heads can be targeted)
    Note that this doesn't always sync in which case you can either:
    i. Use Barrage+Flash Fist (x2) to charge quickly (this combo gives you 3/44 charges instead of 2/44) and hope your iframes save you
    ii. Go down to the wings and Barrage+DS (note that DS will cleave wings, right arm, mid head, right head, giving you 5/44 charge per combo)
    iii. Go down to the bottom long platform and use DS spam near the rope if you HATE falling to the ground (this will cleave wings, right arm, mid head, and right head when it ducks for 3 or 4/44 charges per attack)

NOTE: DPM 45 is still abysmal, but that's because bucc DPM 45 is abysmal in HT in general kekw
    I get similar DPM 45 attacking left head compared to right head while falling to the ground about 5-10 times per run, depending on how much I pay attention.

PS: I don't hate SelquinSelquin. I know they accept and cherish that they are all about the min/maxing and will appreciate the attempt at min/maxing from other classes :)

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    Why must you make the top right platform even more crowded than it already is?

Edit: would the snow shoe trick work for pallies?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. ellyyy

ellyyy Slime

Jun 13, 2019
    Female
    ellyyy / ahlai
    Bishop, Buccaneer
    Colors
    just wanted to put it out there that any aspiring bucc should take this guide with a pinch of salt. i personally don't agree with some strategies (for example i only stayed on the left side before the patch, and never hit on the right side unless both left and mid heads were cancelled bc i don't hit wings). we already have to handle playing a piano when going into HT with the insane number of macros of skills we do in different situations, without even thinking about calculations and things like how to "Time your ST to maximize having Energy Charge (for stance) while ST is in cooldown". i appreciate the effort behind finding ways to "optimize" your gameplay, but i really don't think it should be made out to be a requirement for all buccs to follow.

it is also important to note that you have to change your playing style depending on what skills you maxed. i'm level 188 and i still don't have snatch maxed yet, bc my parties benefitted greatly from me having max TL, and the reality is you won't be able to max all these skills until you are high high level. (FYI if you didn't realise, you DON'T HAVE enough SPs to MAX ALL YOUR SKILLS: like i maxed SI right, means I will NEVER be able to max hero's will so ya~). if you are trying to HT at level 16x you have to accept that you won't be able to do certain things that are "optimal" (like snatch in my case), so you gotta test out what works best for you. i hate hitting the right head but it is what it is, just please don't take this guide as like the standard of what it's like to play a bucc for HT. ^^

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    I never said it is the standard lol I'm not sure where you're getting that from. This post just has tips and tricks for doing different things at HT.
    I don't even use the original "hybrid" method from the first post in this thread. I reset out Snatch in favor of Energy Orb.

In fact I would completely argue that the way I do HT is NOT the most optimal way of doing HT. If you want to optimize your DPM, get a sed mule and go to the top left to attack. My way, however, helps me stay closer to the team (right side) and I value that more over top tier dpm 45.

16. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    There are a few sources of dpm loss on both sides. Left side generally requires more traveling, but a mount, good buff timing (recommended leave si at 14 until the end), and good use of corkscrew means you NEVER have to climb the rope in ideal conditions until wings and/or left head are dead. You can also get by with less avoid, as getting hit is less of a dpm loss on left side. A jump demo or a jump snatch lets you reposition and gain charge, to boot. The focus should be on charging as much and fast as you can, ideally rebuffing party when 1 hit from charge to gain stance on the left head cork and maximize "useful" stance time. The only "gear change" I did even on old avoid formula was making sure I wore htp.

I havent done too much on the right side, but with new avoid formulation, it probably makes sense to actually stack avoid shoe, probably snowshoe. Switching gear while walking over shouldnt be too hard, so swapping midfight isnt an issue. I do agree with ellyyy here; right side is not our ideal place to be. We simply lose too much potential dpm. Being in range of getting knocked all the way down, having to hold(?) using ST to get bubble to line up, and it honestly seemed like ds doesnt hit all 3 heads consistently unless left head is on the right half in its idle animation (could be wrong, maybe you gotta get REAL close to the ledge), are all losses that you dont have to nearly an extent on left side. The big thing to gain from right is a combination of less rebuff time, focus fire on right head or, to a lesser extent, wing in a low-cleave party to quick snatch/ds on the way back to fill charge faster.

Left head is our home, and we should go there whenever we can. But we also have the ability to go where we are needed.

As a side note in the snatch v orb debate; both are about just as useful in bossing, though I get a bit more utility out of snatch in multi-part bosses (zak arms, cwk, ht left) as well as some instances of grinding/ntpq. Orb helps 1v1 dpm in untransformed state a bit, and even opens up flash fist as a viable combo piece to control iframes/speed up charge 1v1 to get to more stance faster. If you are mostly group bossing I'd suggest to go with preference (mine is snatch), and remove mw. By 188 you have almost enough points to max both snatch and orb if you rely on others for mw. I'm 198 and just got mw19 last level and finally advancing past 14 si (1 will is sufficient for us in most cases, but you can get that instead of more si easily).

./endRant

17. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    With snowshoes+player skill you don't get knocked all the way down much

If you're on the edge of the platform, you hit all 3 heads every time except when left head is ducking (the same but opposite of when using DS from the left side: you hit all 3 heads every time except when right head is ducking)

Mr. pippy that's YOUR home. Right head is my home :)

18. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    We BMs welcome buccs to the right side. It's nice to have instant access to SI.

• Funny Funny x 2