1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Reducing Event Dependence

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Skuire, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    5:02 PM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    ok... we all love events, but they don't come without problems...
    • events require a disproportionate amount of effort and planning for how temporary and short they are
    • implementing some common event features into the regular game would keep players happy and reduce the workload on our lovely and selfless staff team
    • could cut down event volume to focus on a few big ones per year, rather than a year round cycle (anniversary, xmas being the biggest).
    • gives the team more time and energy to focus on permanent content and polish as well as quality events that won't feel shoehorned or obligatory
    -------------------------------------------

potential event features to implement into the base game

global NX drops from mobs
    • all mobs could drop the typical 100 and 250 NX tickets sometimes found in events
    • i love this idea because it puts more washing power in the hands of the grinders, rather than the 10-account-voting waiters
    • reduces reasons to complain about washing
    some kind of cosmetic rotation/system to obtain nice hair/face/outfits outside of event
    • good vanilla hairstyles are sorely lacking, especially for men. EXP hairs are nice but can take 100k+ NX to obtain, so most players won't bother
    • this has lots of potential with the ability to update NPCs/reload maps on the fly. could have an NPC like Big Headward w/ an updating rotation of hair/face styles weekly/monthly
    -------------------------------------------
    agree? disagree? have an amazing idea? let's get a good discussion going. SlimeGrin

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    7:02 PM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Just farm GPQ/LPQ/cwkpq if you want year round NX sources.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    GPQ and LPQ drops are kind of a joke and those pqs aren't a great use of time anyway.
    CWK is decent but limited. inaccessible pre-130, less accessible if you're not high level with a bunch of accounts (more members = less nx per).

grinding is universal. SlimeSmile

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. MarcC

MarcC Pink Teddy

May 29, 2019
    Male
    6:02 PM
    riffie
    Paladin, Bishop, Corsair
    Spirit
    I heard some pro named SatellaELB runs <8 minute LPQs. Why not try to optimize your LPQ and GPQ time for easy nx every ~10 minutes? ~500nx every 10 minutes sounds kinda decent tbh. The nx drops are as good as CWK imo

5. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    11:02 AM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I agree on how much effort goes into a short term event. It's insane the amount of coding, testing, and outright sleepless nights you need to pull to pull it off with minimal to zero hiccups source: my final year of uni.

this one i agree with to a point. as MrPresident mentioned the possibility to farm for the nx is definitely there and readily available for grinders, albeit in a janky, time-limited fashion, with drop rates as bad as my luck getting apples or gambling or scrolling.

although its not a bad idea entirely, i do think at the very least they should still drop but with a more nerfed droprate akin to if not worse than gacha tickets. The only issue you'll come across is that it would undoubtedly reward leeching even more than it currently does. Which is a can of worms in and of itself. It's also not very Classic Maplestory if nx start raining from the sky, but i digress.

Frankly, people don't really change styles that often. even i only ever change once a year during anniversary events. But i'm an nx hoarder so just because this doesn't apply to me, i dont see why we can't still discuss the merits of the idea.

6. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Sure but to me it's about the tradeoffs. If you want NX then you give up the meso & exp gains from grinding. If you want meso & exp then you give up the NX gains from PQing. CWK gives all 3 (NX, meso, exp) but is also limited to 2 runs per day. If you're running with a well optimized group I don't think it's unreasonable to farm 1 reset per hour in LPQ/GPQ which seems decent enough to me.

7. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    12:02 AM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    I don't entirely agree on this suggestion but personally I wouldn't mind if the staff skipped an event during the year and took some time off.

That way they would have more time to rest, to regroup and polish whatever is needed while giving them more time in advance for the next event.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Disagree with this - it gives considerably less value to events and votes imo

Agree with this - having more cosmetics outside of events would be good especially since it's been a while since last NX update, but it does take a bit of effort to do this so I would say it's very optional. Balancing, bug fixes, and new contents should be priority over this. Depends on the interest of WZ editors tho.

9. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    the difference is during CWK you get valuable scrolls/loot, MoN, and exp. LPQ is still not a great use of time unless you're really desperate to level a character from 35-50 without grinding.

just to clarify i'm not suggesting to remove NX rewards from voting.
    in my experience, voting has always given way more NX daily than what i've gained from any event NX drops.
    for devaluing events, yea i can see how you'd think that way. NX drops are only one aspect, though, and usually only half(?) of the yearly events feature them.

10. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    7:02 AM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    I was originally quite supportive of the idea (putting more washing power in the hands of people who play the game, instead of the wait and vote group) but then this is a very important point I feel. I seriously feel no need to reward leechers further as opposed to those who actually play the game. If this were to be a thing, they'd need to seriously nerf the drop rates for mage ultimates.

11. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    4:02 PM
    Shadower
    Beaters
    is killing stuff with mage ultimates not playing the game lol

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    My bad, I let my bias against mage playstyle bleed into the post.

13. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    8:02 PM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    what's wrong with mage playstyle, spamming ult at mobs is about the same as spamming blast at some pinned boss, paladin players should keep quiet lmao. at least the mage gotta move tho

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    11:02 AM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    i think it's just the leeching part of the playstyle - which is an unintended but totally valid meta that no one truly expected to have grown but is inevitable nevertheless. especially in mmorpgs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Ya sorry I just personally dislike the "self leech attacker and never play it until level 15x" meta we have going on here, partially because as Tate says this was not a thing in original maple. But me bringing this (my own biases) up here is irrelevant not least because it's already established norm in this server.

Anyway, let's allow the thread to go back to its original intent and not discuss my very pepeg bias against mages :cry:

16. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    i suggest replacing no vote to win to vote to unlock content. because without ap resets to hp wash, we are unable to kill many bosses.

and also i suggest change hp washing is optional to hp washing is optional if you dont wanna boss or play night lord class.

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  17. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    Events might individually be short but altogether they cover more than half of the year. I think the consistency of them is something that appeals to a lot of people and keeps a decent segment of the player base coming back, even if only seasonally. And people always complain about the events even when they're fantastic (I honestly feel like every event I've seen is really dope), if there are less events we all know many people will just complain more. I'm definitely not saying players are entitled to anything, but I personally think the current event calendar is awesome. There's always something coming up soon to look forward to.

On your 2 suggestions - the rotating cosmetic idea would be sweet, even if they're exp coupon only or something. Male hair options got me supa afk

I hear Pretzel's point on the nx drops from mobs devaluing the standard nx system, but even during event times the drop rate on 100/250 nx coupons isn't high. In my experience it still takes like over several hours to accumulate an AP reset (3100 nx) via those event nx drops - probs as it should be. But I think if nx coupons dropped year-round, even if at a lower rate than during the events, it'd be a very nice added incentive for people to train and whatnot. And events could still have an increased drop rate for them, same as now perhaps.

18. SwordnBoard

SwordnBoard Selkie Jr.

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    12:02 AM
    SwordnBoard
    Paladin
    TeaDrinkers
    Much as i love the concept of nx drops i cant see it being a good idea, it devalues voting a bit too much.

Plus their is not much beyond fashion(WASHING) to spend the nx on anyway, so for the day to day casual af player nothing changes whereas to the HARDCOREGRINDERWASHER they just get more stuff for doing the same thing they do everyday.(paying shitty wizards to level them The fiends!)

That said i like the idea of more hairs being available, whilst i dont go for the event hairs myself having exclusivity between event hair or straight up being unattainable(older event hairs locked behind votes on events) feels a bit poop.

19. MsFortune

MsFortune Mano

Mar 1, 2019
    Male
    MsFortune
    Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, Shadower
    Honor
    I like the idea of cosmetic rotations. They could be exp like Blu suggested. A good nx sink for those who finished washing.

20. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Any change is welcome to reduce the flood of content during event.

Maybe we can make the nx drop and cosmetic a seperate "event" that can run parallel or independent of the actual event.
    So the actual event will be more focused on event content like puff/daily.