1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Throwing Stars, Magic, Arrows & Bullets ?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by CecilWhinter, Sep 16, 2020.

Tags:

Can I do another sort of attack when monster are close to me?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. CecilWhinter

CecilWhinter Slime

Oct 17, 2019
    Male
    Canada
    9:26 AM
    Page
    I can't seem to enjoy playing any other character than a Warrior because even though I want to play a ranged attack character right now, every enemy I hit gang up on me & I can't do any damage anymore. I am playing a thief right now with throwing stars & I can only hit 1 damage because they all get too close. Is there something I can do or am I missing something or is it really the way the game is & I have to constantly run away & attack from a distance with every mob following me like a dog who didn't see you in a year?

2. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    6:26 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    In late fourth job, you get a skill called Ninja Storm, which when maxed has a 100% to push monsters away from you.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    CecilWhinter

CecilWhinter Slime

Oct 17, 2019
    Male
    Canada
    Page
    Alright, but until the 4th job I still have a lot to do so how do I attack monster without them being stuck to me all the time ?

4. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Have you tried jumping before lucky 7?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Shinohara

Shinohara Headless Horseman

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    10:26 PM
    Saratoga / Sogohara / Tsushima
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    Creating distance between you and the mobs are the only counter you have as a ranged player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    9:26 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    I'm confused, isn't this part of playing a ranged attacker? Unless you expect monsters in the game to just stand still and let you shoot them.

Anyway you could find maps that are wider and less narrow so you have spots to shoot them safely. Narrow maps = bad, for example cave of evil eye and ludi towers are not viable grinding spots. Ludi teddies and WR for example have "sniping spots" where you can just stand and shoot in peace.

7. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    2:26 PM
    As a thief, once you get haste, you should be good to jump over most mobs and then continue to hit things from afar. Haste will also make it a lot easier to maintain distance between you and other mobs. You'll eventually get flash jump which is arguably the best mobility tool in the game.

Archers get the ability to push monsters away. This is a passive thing on bows and is then augmented by an active skill called power knock back. At level 70, you get arrow rain which can be used at close range. You'll also get mortal blow, a passive skill that will sometimes (at a random chance) make your close range hit fire a single, strong arrow at an enemy.

I've not played Corsair, but I know they get a similar mobility tool to flash jump and an ability that improves their move speed.

8. OP
    OP
    CecilWhinter

CecilWhinter Slime

Oct 17, 2019
    Male
    Canada
    Page
    Yeah I have, but it doesn't always work because they are all like 1 millimeters from you so you can only do 1 damage

9. OP
    OP
    CecilWhinter

CecilWhinter Slime

Oct 17, 2019
    Male
    Canada
    Page
    Well yeah sure you play ranged attack but still there's a limit xD & yeah I know I can attack from other platform on a map but I was attacking flying mob who are not affected by platform & can follow you everywhere. Swimming mob too.

10. OP
    OP
    CecilWhinter

CecilWhinter Slime

Oct 17, 2019
    Male
    Canada
    Page
    Thanks a lot, that helps me a great deal. That's actually what I wanted to hear, if there's a way in the game to counter that difficult gameplay.

11. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Flying and swimming mobs suck on ranged with their wonky hitboxes. I'd try to just stick to flat maps with slow mobs. Voodoos are nice in the Haunted Mansion, it's a bit addicting for me to try and kill all of the spawns in a wave, so it's a good place to practice fast-paced mobility and killing. :^) Free heartstoppers too.

I noticed the hitboxes of a lot of the Ghost Ship mobs change when they're doing their animations too, which gets annoying with the punching. At least outside of the ship in MP3 there are loads of safespots.

The best you can do is push through and wait for your new best friend Flash Jump. It'll send you a league away from whatever is bothering you where you can just throw hot death at everything in your wake.

The Gunslinger's Recoil Shot is great for that too. It was the second skill I built on my dude knowing most everything else was trash.

12. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    Getting haste and flash jump will make a world of difference. On earlier levels you'll just have to rely on jumping away from the mob, turning around midair and using lucky seven. It'll at least increase the distance between you and the mobs while you still attack. Getting max haste will make this work even better and you'll usually hit as long as the mobs aren't directly underneath you while you're jumping. Map layout is also super important for ranged classes. You wanna look out for relatively large map that have mobs bundled together on platforms and safe spots for you to snipe from. Think of maps like Lower Ascent or that hidden map in Kerning City with the octopus and blue mushrooms. Again having flash jump for a map like Lower Ascent makes navigating these safe spots so much faster.