1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing CDs map to discourage leeching

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BentPaw, Apr 5, 2021.

1. BentPaw

BentPaw Master Chronos

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    6:49 PM
    angeloooo
    Night Lord
    Funk
    One of the balance struggles with Maplestory/MapleLegends is that any time a map is popular/optimal for grinding, it then becomes the prime spot to sell leech. This leads to maps becoming overpopulated with leech sellers who tend to to hold maps for a long time, leaving grinders in the dust with map availability. The recent update to more map dungeons have alleviated this issue, but there are still some map availability problems during peak playing times.

This is especially seen with the CDs map, Taipei101 Star Avenue South Section. When I was grinding the 3rd job levels a few months ago, there use to be most channels with 3 people grinding pts or roar/heal pts. Now, you'll see majority of the channels filled with leech sellers since bishops don't need a lot of TMA to 1H the mobs.

I'm not trying to suggest that we should remove leeching altogether, but I think CDs leech is a little detrimental to the grinding experience, since the CDs map can be used for some classes to grind the entire 3rd job. My ideal scenario would be to change the map so that leeching is discouraged, but the EPH for grinding players/pts stays the same. I've been thinking of a few ideas of how to update the map to accomplish this:

1. Increase vertical map size so mage ults (Genesis, Blizzard, Meteor) can't hit multiple platforms
      • This would inadvertently eliminate DKs Roar/Heal strat, which I don't want to do, so I don't think this fix would work
    2. Remove the top floor platform so mules/leech buyers can't safely AFK
      • This could work, but a lot of 3rd job mages in a grinding pt like using the top platform to avoid touch damage from the CDs as they use their mobbing skill, so this change would hurt them more
    3. Change Greatest Oldies to auto aggro, so they will cast their magic attack on anyone chilling on the top platform
      • This may be better than #2, since it keeps 3rd job mages safe from touch damage while eliminating mules/leech buyers from standing on that platform. This does mean that if you want to take a break on a grinding pt, you have to go FM, but I don't think that's a deal breaker for this change
    4. Increase Latest Hits Compilation level from 72 to something higher (Greatest Oldies is at lv76)
      • Latest Hits are the 3 CDs that spawn from Greatest Oldies and they have the most exp gains from leeching, starting at lv67. Raising the mob level would raise the level requirement, which means that leeching wouldn't be as optimal at the minimum level requirement
    I wanted to make this thread since have a connection with this map when I was grinding my NL through 3rd job. I'd love to hear what y'all think, if you agree/disagree with my ideas or have other ideas that you would like to share.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    I feel that instead of trying to fix leeching, we should explore new options of grinding. I remember back in the days jr. newtie sniping was a thing. As a sin/bowman/xbowman you have enough accuracy to hit it around 8x and remain far enough distance from it to not get hit by its magic attack. So instead of trying to fix a popular map, I would explore unpopular maps and how to make them better. (like the recent mu lung changes)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    1. is the best solution here.

You can increase the size of the vertical platforms so that mage ults can't hit 2 platforms. However, the dragon knight is able to jump and then use roar Mid-Air - this is something that a mage cannot do (a mage jump ulting does not change the point it was cast). So, the map becomes worse for 4th job mages while being mostly the same for everyone else.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    BentPaw

BentPaw Master Chronos

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    angeloooo
    Night Lord
    Funk
    That's true, making unpopular maps better would be healthy for the server so the entire world becomes used rather than a few maps. I'm sure this is harder to do, so my CDs suggestion was for a smaller and easier to implement change.

Oh I didn't know that DKs could jump roar. Would for sure be harder for them to do their strat though and is still a hindrance to the overall grinding experience, which is what I'm hoping to avoid

5. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Yeah unfortunately, I don't think leeching or the availability of maps is why there are no longer any party training done there. There are just a ton more new bishops on the server that sell low level leech, so self-grinding lvl 90-110 is rare.

I do think increasing the distance between platforms is the most elegant solution (although it does suck for those playing on HD-0 cus they can't see other platforms). CDs is also just the best meso map for 3rd job, so it would be nice to see it freed up for more grinding.

Although increasing spawn rates in mu lung / ludi has helped a bit with creating semi-meta maps, the EXP-HP ratio is just insane at CDs, so I doubt any other maps can really compete (unless you buff the other taipei 101 maps),

6. jc123

jc123 Brown Teddy

Jun 21, 2020
    jc43
    Warrior
    I don't think it's possible to jump then roar mid-air(unless i'm missing something special) but you can do something similar to jump-mage ults and it seems to follow the same laws as mage ultis for its hitbox.

Attached Files:

7. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I might be wrong here then. I was watching rizo's stream once and it looked like he was doing this at CDs. Jumping and using roar mid air.

8. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    9:49 AM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    unpopular opinion, but consider changing auto aggro on mannies back to the old one, where they just chase you regardless where you are on the map :DD

• Like Like x 1
  9. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    3:49 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    A bit late but removing safe spots on maps would be a great way of encourage party play. Do this for the more popular maps only so the leechers will move to the less efficient maps.

This spreads people out more so it's not just a few maps that get crowded and decreases the gap in efficiency between grinding and leeching.

• Agree Agree x 3