1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Leech Mechanic Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by akashsky, Apr 3, 2023.

Is leech fine in its current state?

1. yes

40 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. no

45 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    3:41 AM
    Corsair
    You could also marry another player. Doesn't change the fact that leech isn't nostalgic though.

2. V220

V220 Chronos

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    4:41 AM
    SoLucky
    Bishop
    I strongly believe that modifying the exp ratio between attacker and afk-leecher as suggested would do the trick. Once the HP challenge is live and HP-washing truly becomes optional to clear all end-game content, then leeching will not be a necessity in any way. It could still be an option to get some exp while afk, but it should not be the main, most-efficient, way of leveling by any means.

Right now I am self-leeching x5 characters at the same time and they are leveling faster than a player leveling x1 character the "traditional" way. Not only that, I am getting a lot more NX and mesos from drops... That is not balanced.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    2:41 AM
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    In all honesty, I believe this conversation will no go nowhere with the way it’s going right now. For two reasons: lack of perspective/biased, and the methods proposed are not holistic.

With the new exp system in place:

Bossing perspective:
    From a sair/NL’s perspective, this is a buff.
    Archer/bucc’s perspective, a nerf.
    A cleave’s perspective, bigger nerf.
    Mage’s perspective, atomic nerf.

a lot of the affected class are already gated by the best content, and now it’s making them worse.

Pre 4th job:

priests are already the worst class during 3rd job, with their main function being to provide HS to their respective party members. This change only makes it worse. What is considered afk? Hanging on a rope? Not attacking?

Personally, I hope people here are willing to put more time and effort into understanding each classes’s progression before advocating such a complicated change

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mystical

Mystical Red Snail

Mar 23, 2023
    Yeah, I feel like multi account is a whole separate issue that just gets worse with leach, they both compound together to make this server unlike the genuine v62 experience. Having multiple copies of maple open at the same time to play as efficiently as possible does not feel enjoyable or nostalgic to me, but I'm at a meso and xp disadvantage from not doing it. If a similar maple server existed, but with multi account against their rules, I know I would swap to that. I'm not sure this is an issue that can be fixed, as it seams multi account has been allowed and encouraged for the whole life of this private server.

Leech though could be adjusted to not allow high level mages and other large aoe attackers from sharing so much xp with the rest of their party when there is a significant level deference between the leech and leech provider.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mystical

Mystical Red Snail

Mar 23, 2023
    I'm more concerned with it not being like nostalgic classic maplestory, as multi account was against the rules and bans where issued for it. I'm playing this private server with two friends as a way to enjoy classic maplestory again. This is a private server that seams to have its goal being to emulate that nostalgic experience once more, so as a new player I'm just stating in how that goal is not being met for new players. Leech and multi account both are not classic nostalgic mushroom game to me.

Edit: The user I was replying to deleted their post, I'm still leaving this up for context as I think it still adds to the conversation here.

6. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Yeah i deleted it since I misunderstood your post. But anyways, not sure why other people's gameplay affects your own nostalgic experience. You can play the way you deem nostalgic/fun, while other people can do what they want.

People play games because it's fun to them and they can freely express themselves on that game. Leeching is a form of expression. Not leeching is another form.

My nostalgic maplestory experience is being poor and getting scammed left and right. But in all honestly, I would not like to go through that.

On this server, people emulate their own nostalgic maplestory by having vic lock/oss lock. A big part of a game of what makes a game fun actually stem from the players themselves.

7. Mystical

Mystical Red Snail

Mar 23, 2023
    On the subject of leeching, other players leeching does not affect the way I play that much. As I'm mostly just questing and joining PQs with some friends. Its just a bit annoying to see other players zooming past you in leveling thanks to them cheesing a game mechanic intended for fun party/social play. If Party XP gain is to change, make sure to think about how it affects new players just playing together the more classic way.

Multi accounting does have an affect on the new player experience for those who play on a single account. As those who multi account are generating more mesos per hour then those with a single character. Resulting in giving them more mesos to spend on gear in the FM that is around my level, raising those prices. I'm not sure on how much that might be affecting the economics of the game though, as people having second funded characters already increases the demand and price of lower lvl equipment. Also I have had a few times where in a PQ someone brings along another account(s) of theirs that they are multi accounting without first disclosing it, slowing down the PQ for everyone. Its not fun to play with characters that are AFK.

This form thread is about leeching though, so lets keep it to that. Its just that multi accounting and leeching are compounding issues, so its something to think about.

8. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    Corsair
    Give us Party play buffs! yes yes yes! Here's how the tierlist Should be: Party Play > Leeching > Solo Levelling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rapskal

Rapskal Chronos

Nov 1, 2017
    Male
    7:41 PM
    Rapskal
    Night Lord
    Lost
    I've never been able to determine all the EXP formulae, but I know that in some cases (leecher is more than 5 levels less than attacker), there is a different formula applied when doing 1 damage compared to doing 0 damage, where doing any portion of the damage negates the multiplier of leecher level/total party level (unless the portion gets rounded down to 0 which does happen).
    In theory, the formulae might be able to be changed to only affect people doing 0 damage, thereby not altering bossing EXP?

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. Floron

Floron Slime

Apr 27, 2022
    5:41 PM
    Beginner
    Make Holy Symbol only take full effect when the one providing the Holy Symbol receives party exp within your two criteria listed, if not Holy Symbol only provide 10%. This will not affect Holy Symbol for boss party with active bishops (or a mule bishop, but the mule bishop will have to satisfy the two criteria above for full Holy Symbol effect)

This reduces leech sellers to potentially only with bishops or priest in party level range (reduce the number of leech sellers, increase the price of leech, thus making leech less attractive). Solve bishop mules to an extend. Non bishop leech seller will have to accept the 10% exp boost over 50% exp boost, making leech less attractive.

11. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    5:41 PM
    how about making holy symbol a charge up skill?

12. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    Corsair
    I'm all for active Bishop changes, but I dunno if HS is the thing to target here.

Bishop single target damage is by far the worst in the game. It's so bad that most people don't even bother to cast Angel Ray at bosses when actively Bishopping because the damage is just that negligible. You could be doing better things like keeping everybody HS'ed, tracking boss timers and animations, or dispelling buffs. Even healing after 1/1's to reduce Attacker pot costs is more worth your APM than your piss poor damage.

Buffing Bishop damage wouldn't be enough to give the class an active role. Some math will have to be done, and frankly I don't think I have the knowledge to do it, but I think Bishops need a new kind of support skill, and something that would reward active gameplay.

Here's some food for thought:
    What if Bishops had a meter like Buccaneers and doing helpful things would increase the meter. Stuff like refreshing HS (Gives more meter depending on how much time is left on the buff), healing HP, dispelling Debuffs, Dispelling Buffs on Bosses, Successfully stopping a debuff with Holy Shield, Killing Summons, Resurrecting someone, etc. There would be an aura around the Bishop where players would get a small damage buff depending on how full the Bishop's meter is. The meter would drain over time, and would drain faster whenever the character is standing still and not casting an ability. Macroed skills would not increase meter in any way.

Or what if Holy Symbol was a little weaker when the Bishop doesn't do anything, but depending on how much meter the bishop has at the time of a Boss/Monster Kill Holy Symbol would be stronger.

Replace some useless skill from like second job with this, maybe Bless or something. Then attach the accuracy/avoid increase to the aura making it stack with accuracy and avoid potions.

I think I got lost somewhere and started talking about bossing. This thread is about Leeching. confusedmush

13. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    My impression is that the game was never intended to be played with 30k HP ranged attackers, but they already exist and their impact on the meta is massive. A straight nerf to leech at this point without providing a suitable means of leveling the playing field HP-wise feels very punishing.

That being said, I think nostalgic party-play can be encouraged by producing content that's rewarding of active party play and also inclusive of INT-lords.

Beyond just APQ, LPQ-boxes and Jump Quests, IMO an interesting and fun concept would be content where players all have a predetermined amount of HP and Damage regardless of stats/equips. Your success would be determined largely by coordination and strategy, as well as personal ability to push your character to the limit.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. CauTion

CauTion Master Chronos

Nov 5, 2019
    Israel
    12:41 PM
    Thief
    Siege
    I think when we compare leech for party play its way more easy and consistent
    same goes for bossing , I think its will be more healthy for the server get the reward priority where ppl can gather up and actually play the game with maps with more spawn rates\full party exp buffs\more friendly spots for different jobs to attack from \encourage parties to boss more or even more then one of the options and end up when bossing and party grind > leeching
    and encourage more ppl to play the game instead hang the rope or watch animas and doing the same thing for hours

15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    in terms of eph it already is

problem is people are too weak (bc int or lack of gears)

16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Would be nice if base INT were factored into damage formula.

17. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    6:41 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I am curious to see how it go when challenge comes (w/o base int)

18. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    probably for those who can afford leech will be higher int anyway so no changes and those who can't are still slowed down by lack of gear

19. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    6:41 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    yes, that the point i like to see (for who goes to challenge with casual gear and growing up)

20. Prosper

Prosper Red Snail

Apr 14, 2023
    Male
    5:41 AM
    ShellChuck
    Beginner