1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why class balance sucks.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zorele, Apr 17, 2023.

1. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    5:15 PM
    Again, it is unclear what your idea of balanced means. Based on your replies so far it is just that shads cannot do top tier on paper dpm.

I'm not an endgame player, but I do look at tier lists created for endgame content like pb, ht, auf etc since they reflect the perspective of class usefulness instead of dummy dpm. Shads are literally mid to upper tier in every single content. Is that not good enough? Not to mention the lower level content I do partcipate in like zak, jc which shadowers ABSOLUTELY thrives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. shck

shck Timer Retired Staff

Feb 10, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    Recube
    Buccaneer
    Bloom
    First of all, class balance is of paramount importance for any MMORPG to be a success and I wholeheartedly agree that currently, the game isn't balanced between classes.

ZoreleZorele If you stopped your original post at this paragraph or simply elaborated further down this line of thinking it would've made for a much more productive discussion. With that in mind, I will try my best to comment without downplaying the significance of all the points that were made about Shadowers. You have a number of points that come with a certain degree of validity, but narrowing down the discussion to an individual class actually did more harm than good for your post since it inadvertently invited people to defend the class rather than participate in the debate of "Why class balance sucks.".

As it has already been widely established by a number of passionate Shadower players of the community, comparing class A to class B brings about unpolished subjective opinions that often causes a downward spiral in discussions that results in unnecessary personal attacks, therefore I'd prefer to address the title of this thread in it's totality:
    In my opinion, the elephant in the room has been left unaddressed for the longest time, I'd like to use modern day maple as an example for this reply, for those who are familiar with the modern day version of the game, most newer/reworked classes have re-skinned skills that function similarly in one way or another(do correct me if I'm wrong), and I feel like this stems from the lack of class identities or you could just call it an identity crisis. For a class to come into it's own, it is quintessential to have a unique character archetype, which generally speaking, is what's largely missing in maple(This is further exemplified in old school maple by the unintended mechanic, HP washing). However, from what I perceive, it is evident that whatever is being done by neckson till this day is effective as shown in the form of the game's longevity, whether we like it or not. Hypothetically speaking, if neckson were to assign roles to each individual class at this juncture, it would just end up being a restrictive measure put in place because the game has too many red flags as a MMORPG, extremely grindy, solo-oriented, RNG gear progression, which leads me to my point where it's just a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.
    So pray tell, without knowing each of their roles distinctively, how does one design 12+[insert number of off-meta/oddjob] classes to be unique with minimal overlapping in different aspects while staying as close to their vanilla state as possible and allowing every one of them to excel at whichever content is deemed most relevant by the community?
    For me personally, I would like to have class balance in the form of a power budget where class difficulty matters and strong utility has an inverse correlation with DPM. It may sound fine, but there is in fact more to class balancing than this and that is why a balance team(we're recruiting) exists. We don't claim to have done the best job possible, but we always try to do better.
    It's probably not a good take on the topic by comparing modern day maple to maplelegends, but I'm not here to give politically correct answers. In general, maple is unlike a typical MMORPG, it is without proper class identity, therefore it is difficult to establish healthy balance between classes.

Above is my personal opinion on "Why class balance sucks.". Appreciate your time & effort put in drafting the post for this controversial topic.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    5:15 AM
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Hey! I appreciate you taking your time to voice your opinion. I completely agree with you, i definitely mishandled the post and it deviated from the main issue and i see the error of my ways now but saying im balls deep would be the understatement of the year. With that being said, i completely agree with your balancing philosophy and if achieved that state i would personally feel very satisfied.

One very crucial aspect that i should've probably mentioned somwhere is the fact that the current endgame boss "PB" isn't very "inclusive". By this i mean that the lack of consistent ways for classes with low avoid to survive regardless of their hp limits how appealing they may be for a squad. For example it feels like buffing hero damage wise by a massive margin wouldn't really make them "good" at pb since their main issue doesn't seem to have a solution tied to the class itself and more so to boss changes or perhaps the "defense rework". I think it's completely normal and acceptable for classes to have different degrees of performance in bosses but i feel like no boss should really "exclude" classes by making them too death prone or simply a liability.

4. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    6:15 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams

Your concerns about current balancing seem to be largely based on the following:
    1. Gear / level progression should matter far more
    2. Secondary perks (QoL things like high avoid, cheap potion costs, better survivability) are important aspects that differentiate a class, but not enough to make up for the weaknesses of said class OR overwhelming strength of another class (eg. buccs SI/TL/i-frames/damage)
    3. The enjoyability of the class should not be factored in when determining the strength/viability of a class
    4. Skill expressive nature of a class (player performance) is not enough to make up for the innate differences of a class
    I won't comment about my personal opinions on the matter, just cus this thread has plenty of personal perspectives and it could do without :p I do want to just raise some points to consider and maybe some questions I'd love to hear your answer on.

With Regards to #1
    The issue v62 has with allowing gear/level progression matter more is how Neckson coded cleave classes (eg. Hero, DK). If cleave classes can reach the same amount of single-target DPM as NLs if they have the same gear progression, their damage would become overly oppressive in the situation of cleave bosses. This is because Neckson's "cleave damage calculations" are a very rudimentary 3x or 2x multiplier. Meanwhile, if we were to balance these cleave classes solely on cleave situations, then their single-target DPM would suffer greatly. So my first question is, what kind of situation do you (open ended question to all readers) think we should balance our classes around?

Additionally, it is important to note that the main attacking skills of these classes in bosses also tend to be their main skill for grinding. Brandish for Heroes, Crusher for DKs, somewhat B-step for Shads. Is the community okay with seeing the grinding/leveling prowess of these classes improved further?

With Regards to #3
    If enjoyability of a class shouldn't be factored in, how about annoyances or nuissances of a class? Should they be factored in when determining the strength/viability of a class?

With Regards to #4
    Over the years, we've gradually tried introducing more skill-expressive elements. DK's new Zerk, Hero's panic timing, etc. Let's say hypothethically an average NL and a gigachad perfect Zerking DK can do the same amount of damage. Comparing these two hypothethical classes, would you say they're balanced? Remember the DK can still output 3x damage in cleave situations. Just trying to gauge what kind of balancing would be ideal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    tldr; I think cleave dmg should do 90% on 2 target 70% on 3 target, allowing for easier balance

NiseNise
    personal opinion on your questions:

1)balancing around cleave is difficult. But it is core identity of hero/DK that I believe should be kept. I think they should do 90% dmg on two target, 70% on three target (or some other #). this way it's easier to balance around single target without being too godly in cleave situation, since 3 target does 210% instead of 300% dmg. Maybe it can work sorta like chain lightening? Or a toggle? I dont know.

Also, I dont really care which classes has easier time grinding, I personally think it's very cool that FP can FoT and DKs can CD roar and shads can bomb himes.

2) I think enjoyability and nuisance of a class matters when it affects dpm. Corsairs should have high dmg because they are the most difficult to play optimally. DKs should do dmg despite having HB, because it is hard to zerk.

4) skill expression is cool, and I love what ML has done so far. Some classes should stay simple, but I love that there are challenging classes that gets rewarded with dpm. I don't have NL or DK ready to play yet, so I'm not sure. Does active zerk pot cost? Is it more than 3mil/10min? Whatever the case, I think balancing cleave as I said above will make it easier to balance cleave vs single target.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Hello! Thanks for replying. You definitely bring some important points up and i'll gladly share my PoV.

#1: Even with the current amount of damage cleave can offer, it would be "game breaking". I haven't done math regarding darks post change for example taking into account their cleave damage performance prebuff as a reference, i would suspect they do around archer tier of dmg post buff. If we add bosses where you effectively X3 that damage then it would already be widely considered overpowered damage. I personally don't think the current damage warriors can do is very problematic and more so other issues like their survivability at endgame bosses. I personally think that the solution to this is moving forward would be to custom changes to new content to include segments of the fight were both cleave and single target are needed and not separate the content in two big groups. The content seems to be more at fault than the classes in this case. This would obviously be somewhat challenging but i think a boss fight like empress is a prime example of needing both single target and cleave.

With regard as to what should be taken into account for balancing a class this one is a bit more complicated. I say this because there's a significant portion of the community who only value classes by their ability to do damage or whatever it is they provide to a party while being active (like bucc pb aggro) which is largely due to the ability to mule buffs, leech/boss for exp and make meso on mages. This ultimately means that there is no other trait that could be valued since everything can be solved by popping another client open. Then there's another big part of the community who value the ability for a class to be independent and produce money on their own, value buffs and the ability to grind. Both takes are completely valid but if you wan't my opinion i believe class balance should prioritize largely what a class provides by being active which is usually damage, over other perks because these other perks often have an infinity of alternatives that could resolve them. I also personally believe grinding through 4th job is somewhat overrated because the exp:meso:hour that you can expect out some content is vastly superior.

#2: I don't think the "annoyances or nuissances" or enjoyability should be taken into account in the sense that what may seem a nuissance to someone could be very fun to me. At the end of the day what makes a class enjoyable doesn't have to be it's simplicity, it could be their animations, you being attracted to the concept and many other things. I do think however that classes that need to "Put in more effort" which i wouldn't call an annoyance personally should be rewareded. I believe that this is already somewhat true since corsair (with the exception of pb) does by a reasonable chunk the highest damage. The other class is dark and within their "cleave title" they also outperform heroes by a reasonable margin.

#3 I'm not personally attached to the whole melee vs ranged philosophy so I wouldn't be against darks to be above or equal NL in damage. I know that this isn't the point but i don't think the issue with cleavers is the current damage they do and it's simply the overall lack of importance their role has in most content. Like i mentioned earlier, even without the damage being touched, the gap between a single target NL and a Dark cleaving would already be MASSIVE. The key to this problem is content where both are needed. A decent example is CWK. It has 2 single target slots and 2 cleave slots for optimal clearing.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  7. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    How you about you read it as, has cleave, has single target, has survivability
    Other class doesn't even have those at the same time.

Again, you are comparing shad cleave against hero cleave. Then shad single target aginst NL single target.
    Do you do think shad suppose to be cleave as good as hero, and single dpm as good as NL both at the same time?
    It is meant that way that the class balancing is like that regardless of whatever your gear is.

8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    2:15 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Shad cleave vs corsair cleave
    Shad mobility vs corsair mobility
    Shad single target vs corsair single target

9. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I was mostly over this thread but i'll shed some clarity regarding my stance.

If you want to compare Shad cleave vs hero cleave i'll indulge. Hero HAS better cleave and shad SHOULD not have better cleave this is statement i wholeheartedly agree with. Now if you want to compare shad single target to hero or any other class then shad still looses.

Comparing between melees here's what you can see: Hero > shad , Paladin (Even on elemental neutral) > shad, Dark > Shad. As an extra paladin (Who isnt meant to be cleaver) also does more cleave damage than shadower.. Does that really make sense to you then? Only reason why i compared shad to NL is because they are the 2 avoid tankers which is the most game breaking trait the thieves have and the only thing that leaves room for argument regarding shad's viability.

I personally think the whole aspect that is holding shad as an "objectively playable" main is the fact they can get into PB groups. In the current iteration of PB avoid tanking is good enough to merit shad having a slot over other melee attackers but if that were subject to change, would that be the case? The short answer is no, these classes would also relatively good survivability and clearly better damage. I'm one to think that PB balance changes are bound to come since i doubt it's considered "okay" for classes to be excluded and seen as even third class citizens in the context of PB. I could be wrong about this but it really does feel to me like the class atleast in the context of endgame and "objective viable pick" is being held by a string that could break at any given moment.

The whole objective viability of shad as a main (Disregarding the subjective traits we can all agree for example them being fun, enjoyable and other things) is already a stretch because of other objectively better picks. I might be wrong about this but i would predict inclusive PB changes that would completely throw shadowers desireability under the bus. The only reason why i keep mentioning PB is because this is the main boss where there is room to debate. The other ones are mostly low risk bosses where utility skill and raw damage are the most important traits. If you want my opinion regarding other positives and how i value them feel free to read them all scattered around my thread.

Since I know this got very heated early on, i will once again clarify. I'm not saying someone should NOT play shadower nor am i saying it's unplayable. If you enjoy the class, definitely play it, i play and will play mine regardless of potential changes. This discussion has the intent of raising awareness of the current state of class balancing in my opinion, which also has nothing to do with class preference and what each of us enjoy.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  10. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Sorry I missed this, I genuinely did not see it. I'll just share how I view this you are bringing up to the best of my ability. These tier lists are meant to be taken as a grain of salt and you definitely need context to get the best information out of them. Tldr: In PB, shads are simply a worse NL since their contribution is far less yet they are viable given their ability to stay alive (Not their damage). In HT in terms of the effective damage contribution a shadower can have, it actually deals the least and given the NEED of a seduce target, you could increase them in tiers. Since sed mules are more common practice these days, there's also runs where shadowers can be D tier. In terms of Auf there's definitely split opinions regarding shadowers. I do think this is one of the bosses where they do relatively better but I also wouldn't put them in the same tier as paladin, buccs and more arguably hero. They are definitely not bad here though. In every other "dummy" boss without weapon cancel, their damage should be strictly the worse. In a boss fight where there is weapon cancel they can probably best hero/darks in single target depending on how bad the wep cancel RNG is and do worse than the rest. It is also true that the lower the cost of the gear, shadowers will look relatively better. As players level up and acquire better gear, the gap widens massively.

In regard to the lower level content, I'm not very familiar with JC but it's good to hear that they do well there! In terms of how they do in zak I wouldn't say they "thrive" but they are definitely acceptable. I was actually checking out if perfectly timed weapon cancels (The boss always weapon cancelling off of cooldown, although obviously this never happens) would make shadowers stronger than NLs and Corsairs and the answer was sadly no. I still think they do relatively better in content like this though. At the end of the day, it's hard to value my opinion or anyone else's in regard of a classes damage. I think a much better approach is to put the class in the context of their raw damage, the damage efficiency the class can obtain, and how they avoid hazards that could affect them during a fight. Each of us can have different experiences and our perception will be biased greatly if comparing to those around us. For example if you usually run zak with a night lord with 200 base int, who often forgets to cider and doesn't pay much attention then it would be very easy to believe shadower is very strong in this phase of the game. The opposite is also true. My intention is to NOT to disregard any of these inputs but I do believe there's certain biases that we need to bring to attention to avoid misconceptions.

11. Raso

Raso Slimy Retired Staff

Jul 2, 2017
    Female
    11:15 AM
    Noctua
    Shadower
    Perion
    Its funny how so many people (almost everyone??) tell you that shads are better than you claim them to be, and back it up with good arguments, yet you keep refusing to accept it. I do agree balance has its flaws and shads arent perfect but honestly, which class is :) Every class has its pro`s and cons and they`re all complimentary to eachother and suit different playstyles. Im happy to see every class can make it to all content thanks to the balance changes in the past. Also happy to see the general pop is positive about shads. That said, Balance team is recruiting ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Not sure why you insist on making this about me. I completely respect that a lot of players love shads and think they are fine the way they are / claim they are better than i say but i think i was very clear regarding my stance and have stated repeatedly that it's my opinion and the same way some people don't magically change their opinion because of what i said, i don't have to magically change mine.

For the most part most of the valid arguments people present regarding shads are things i already agree with regarding them being enjoyable amongst other things. Some claims are completely anecdotal and it's possible to confirm their validity through math which i think is superior to anyone's opinion, mine included. I completely respect everyone who thinks shadowers are great and balanced, we can simply agree to disagree. Other than that, i think i'm in my own right to "correct" when a comment regarding shadowers damage by up playing its real value the same way everyone was quick to say im underestimating their damage.

13. xAneurysm

xAneurysm Blue Snail

Apr 29, 2023
    Male
    xGiovanna
    Thief
    “Every class has its pros and cons and they’re all complimentary to each other and suit different play styles”

I could not agree more!! and going off that point alone, I’m new to the server and I joined for the nostalgia, I really really loved “vanilla” maplestory, (Im talking about before 4th jobs ofc) but this server still captures that nostalgic feeling for me perfectly and the community is so awesome too. I understand gms has had its “balance issues” during those times I mentioned and loved but it never really bothered me. Anyway, I read the CURRENT skill / balance changes here and was completely blown away!! I thought “wow these game mods really really listen to the community”. If I personally had to balance any class it would be paladins alone, although I’ve never played a paladin I remember they had it the worst!! but this sever has gone above and beyond for every class imo. As I mentioned I loved maplestory before 4th jobs were a thing but I still thought 4th jobs were awesome!! It was until that “Big Bang patch” that things went down hill and i’m sure that’s how we all feel and why we love legends!! This server captures everything perfectly as I mentioned…that’s why I think everyone should stop asking for balance and skill changes whether it be dmg or skill appearance..seriously…otherwise what’s the point of having a nostalgic server?? I guess i’m not “serious” enough lol.

• Friendly Friendly x 3