1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The State of MapleLegends Economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Akhenaton, May 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    1:28 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    That's great. I, too, often drop meso bags in the FM for new players to pick up.

• Friendly x 7
    • Great Work x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Headless Horseman

Mar 13, 2023
    2:28 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Reverse is only cheap for the endgame-capable players. With the most recent "FM buyout" a reverse weapon PoT cost alone is 135m+ with total crafting price likely being 145-155m depending on what items you already have/need to buy etc. To spend 155m on a nerfed down version of the original weapons, just to gamble your chances at scrolling is brutal. My first reverse engaw crafted the lowest possible attack, so without 30%'s and risking blowing it up its very hard to get a decent w.att. I feel like the average playerbase likely can't even afford this kind of crafting+scrolling hence why you rarely see players running this kind of gear.

The fact that the balance team also nerfed the weapons for "NT vs reverse/timeless balancing" is a slap in the face when the investment is already so massive compared to NT weapons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GooBeR

GooBeR Master Chronos

Aug 29, 2021
    I thought you cannot loot meso bags.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. datahush

datahush Red Snail

Mar 28, 2020
    Bowman
    Can't tell if serious suggestion or sarcasm.

The reason I chose to stick with maplelegends over other servers I tried is due to the amazingly friendly and wholesome community I experienced when I was a noob. A rando saw that im new and lost in ellinia and gave me 5mil to buy pots to afford magic claw in slime tree (cus thats the only noob training spot i knew from the old days). I was so touched and had so much trouble chasing him with my 100% speed to fame him lmao. I recall in 2020 fartsy also spending a literal afternoon explaining to me how to HP wash, and MP wash, and answering all my dumb questions while hanging on rope.

Now whenever i see a new player i always spend 10-15 mins to pause what im doing and talk to them and help answer any questions they have, and if they need mesos I also give between 1-5mil to return the kindness I was given (prolly gave away more than 100m+ already). I've become good friends with some that I've helped as well.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I stand by my point that PoTs are a luxury and their price does not indicate anything about the overall health of the market.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    4:28 AM
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    Do you think one person sitting on 56% (100/177=56.5%) of the total shoes for avoid 30%s in the market, charging over 2m more than the maximum market price (OwlRepo) indicates a healthy economy? According to the United States Federal Trade Commission, having a market share of more than 50% is indicative of a monopoly (https://www.ftc.gov/advice-guidance...ws/single-firm-conduct/monopolization-defined).

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Because this thread feels like a joke.
    You can play this game without interacting with the market entirely. There is no such thing as equity in this game when everyone starts from zero and are given the same opportunities to grow.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    There is no way you can play ML over the long term without interacting with the market. You might as well say washing is optional on an endgame ranged attacker. Unless you are an osslock character or something, if you want to have a competitive character through the mid game and into the end game you NEED to interact in the market to get better gear and scrolling.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Is there any item you as a player don't have the opportunity to farm yourself? Outside of large party content locked gear like MW30 and FS (and event locked items) there is nothing you can't farm on your own. Sure, the market might allow for more efficient progress with division of labor, but there is no content that you should not be able to farm for yourself. That wouldn't make sense - if someone else can, so can you. This has been talked about over and over again in the past few weeks re: apple prices, so that explains my curtness.

Going by the example you've given, if you are concerned about high PoT costs, go farm them yourself instead of interacting with the market. You're complaining that the conversion rate is getting manipulated when the solution is to ignore the market entirely and farm the resources for yourself. People have already explained that your example of historically low prices shouldn't be seen as the norm. PoT were always ~1m but were brought down in price due to the massive supply increases from multimaging. This is basic economics at work, except we're in a game where everyone's given the same set of opportunities.

This perspective is entitlement. Why is going out and supplying your own desired goods disrespectful to your time and mesos? Why should someone else be in charge of going out and doing the work to farm something when you can do it yourself?

The big irony of all of this is the complaints of merchers manipulating the market when all they're doing is what you are hoping to do - buy goods cheaper. It's hypocritical to expect priority access to cheap goods while gatekeeping the very same goods from someone else. The only thing merchers are guilty of is getting to the items before you.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
  10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    At any given time there’s usually 1 person who owns 100% of the Shadow Claw 20 market, which is required for the most popular class in the game, and yet nobody ever complains about that

Because, surprise surprise, people usually just go farm it themselves

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    For what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure you can go through the entire game without ever scrolling anything. Just buy completed items when people sell them, since their price usually doesn’t fluctuate as much as scroll price. The only things I ever buy currently are apples, power elixirs and coins, and I just save up to buy gear with coins when I find the opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Snork

Snork Capt. Latanica

Feb 19, 2018
    10:28 AM
    Snorf
    Paladin
    Lore
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    As said in the initial post, PoTs are just an example and I have not had a chance to use them for crafting yet as I have not reached the end game yet. However, I HAVE tried farming bow 30%s from jr. balrog for the better part of a day last week. I killed 15 of them over a period of 12+hours and I got 0 bow 30%s. Just because you are able to farm something does not mean it is profitable or worthwhile. That is why I think it is unproductive for my time. I also think it is disrespectful for my mesos if I simply caved in to the predatory pricing and bought the bow 30s because I think the current market price is not the real value and is inflated due to hoarding and price gouging. Also, if I caved in to the predatory pricing out of impatience for the price to adjust to real value, that would encourage the max seller to increase their price even more independent of the real forces of supply and demand, making the entire problem worse. If you think that is entitlement because I don't want to spend a week farming jr.balrog's to get a few bow 30s, rather than sell leech or boss (which is actually profitable), then I do unabashedly consider myself entitled.
    There is a reason why people with multiple DrKs choose to farm exclusively Master Chronos for Helm Dex 60% and gach tickets and don't multimage/multi-drk in other maps for other scrolls. And that is because it is worth the time investment and is actually profitable compared to farming other maps for scrolls that have low drop rates and are not worth the return on investment of time and mesos (such as jr. balrog).
    We have also already discussed that the historic low prices in PoTs (under 1m avg price) were due to multimaging. The prices stabilized for several months after the impact of the update from August 2022. My argument surrounding the PoTs is that the current situation of PoTs being a minimum price of 1.8m is SEPARATE from the multimaging issue, and is primarily caused by a hoarding and price gouging situation, particularly given there are 10,000 of them being sold for the maximum market price.
    Merchers are certainly able to buy goods if they think they are below price and they do. My contention is that some merchers are sitting on stockpiles for months, barely selling any of their items, which artificially drives the overall price up, particularly if they have a monopoly/oligopoly over that item. I am not expecting priority access to a good. I just want to be able to scroll my weapon/craft my item/ play the game without having to wait months for that mercher to lower their price, since they are sitting on most of the available items. They are welcome to sell them for an increased price if they think they are reflecting market trends. But that does not mean anyone is going to buy them, and once they realize that, the only thing everyone will have lost is time they could've spent doing something else than playing a game of 'market chicken'. I do not see the value added to the game by having one person possess a literal monopoly over a given scroll type and have it sit in their inventory for months on end, not being used and only being purchased to be resold at a higher price. The items could be sold within a reasonable speed at a more reasonable price that still nets the mercher profit and actually be scrolled onto items and used by players, but greed for the maximum potential profit prevents this. I personally find THAT to be entitlement at the expense of other players who actually want to use the item.

Regarding Beegoratto and the Shadow Claw 20s, I think this is somewhat of a separate issue. Skill books are typically 1-2 time use, maybe 3-4 if you are unlucky. The Shadow Claw 20 is also only dropped by literally ONE mob in the game. This is similar to Holy Shield 30, however Manon is often farmed off spawn for other reasons such as cards, job advancements and other drops. Scrolls and crafting items on the other hand can be used dozens, hundreds, and even thousands of times by the same character. Scrolls and crafting items can also be obtained from more than one mob in the game, often also available from PQs and gachapon (PoTs are not availabe from PQs and gach). However if the price for Shadow Claw 20s DO get too expensive independent of real forces of supply and demand because one person wants to charge a very expensive price, I would be in favour to regulate that too. Yet, I don't play NL and I am unfamiliar with those prices.

Also regarding Beegoratto's other comment, people are only able to buy completed items in the first place because people bother to scroll them. If everyone took the mentality to erase all risk and price fluctuations regarding scrolling, no one would scroll anything and everyone would walk around with clean equips. And maybe buying completed items is something I will do if the situation continues as it is, however I think scrolling is an important part of the game that generates value. But scrolling/crafting generates significantly less value if the prices are inflated and out of sync with real forces of supply and demand for months on end, which is what I think is happening right now for certain items.

Yes, everyone does technically have the same opportunity to hoard items and price gouge. But is that really what you want to see? Do you want 200 different players each cornering their own market for an item and charging inflated prices, or even worse, fighting over cornering markets and driving up prices without even using the items? Where is the sense of community in that? I don't want to play that game and that is why I made this post in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    10:28 AM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    State of the economy for a new player like you is actually fairly decent, lot's of early game goods are discounted and there's decent meso to be made from certain things you'll pick up along the way.

You've been nitpicking the economy mostly by giving examples about piece of time which isn't exactly a fair comparison to the entire economy and most of it, if I understand correctly is just you showing frustration that some players are able to buy out certain items and re price them at a slightly higher rate. Welcome to Maplestory, especially in a server where owls are free.

Btw stop trying to farm bow 30 at balrogs

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    3:28 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i'm sure a lot of the hoarders nowadays were also multimaging at that time and didn't really buy off the market. at some point demand will meet supply but at what price?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    There is no such thing as a monopoly in this game when you can produce the goods yourselves. Your anecdote about hunting Jr. Balrog is irrelevant. You picked one of the least effective methods of farming and claiming ineffectiveness and waste of time. Maybe the problem here is a lack of strategy on your part, not the system itself?

If you aren't in a situation where you can farm things efficiently, then continue leveling up and get to a point where your earnings are higher so you can participate in the so-called inflated market. You sound like a person making minimum wage having taken no effort into increasing your earnings, yelling into the void that it's unfair you can't buy a luxury car right now. That's entitlement to something undeserved. Bow 30s are a luxury usually reserved for end game situations. If you want access to items, work towards it. Nothing's stopping you, really.

Like I said, the only thing merchers are guilty of is buying things at a price they believe is reasonable which is what you are also trying to do. It's only a 'problem' to you because they're doing it better than you are.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  17. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    DimezDimez can you please just sell ur goddamn PoTs so people will stop complaining

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. GooBeR

GooBeR Master Chronos

Aug 29, 2021

Yeah everyone dreams of waking up just to setup stores full of nonsense while deciding which item to price gouge. All while attracting the ire of the serfs they look down upon, believing that everyone else would be so opportunistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    How exactly do you think the people with the largest stockpiles of scrolls gather their supply? From mesos inherited by their parents?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. quintus

quintus Red Snail

May 13, 2023
    5:28 AM
    quintus
    Bishop
    Lore
    [​IMG]

- karl marx on multimaging.

everybody said many things, but i think we all agree on something !

"older player with immense wealth accrued over several years wakes up and picks out a somewhat rare item to buy and then sit on a stockpile of said item , with the sole purpose of manipulating the market and raise its price artificially, which then makes life poopier for newer players for a certain time until things readjust themselves" is a real phenomenon that happens

people do this and they are able to do that far more effectively than in the original game because its such a small market

i understand that the laissez faire wild capitalist meritocracy folks think if they have mesos to be able to do that.... its their right to engage in antisocial predatory pricing methods... while the peasants should pull themselves up by the bootstraps harder to compensate....

but

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.