1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The reason why our ToS needs to change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fael, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    10:38 AM
    Moderator Post
    I have not much to say about the ToS itself right now, but I want to address one thing that many bought up in this topic

"Bans can cause a loss of an active player" and similar words.

I can talk about this from experience, but you don't want to know how many players I have lost already because of a particular user's behaviour in-game or outside-game, and how a negative vibe can easily cause people to leave the server. This was especially bad in 2016. Yes, I know each time I bring 2016 up, but it was a rather dark time for MapleLegends and a time I do not really forget. It was when almost all the casuals left the server because the vibe of the server was overtaken by the users that were here already for quite a while, and users almost felt they were no longer welcome.

So yes, a ban from an "active player" can be a loss, but an active person that is not creating a nice vibe for the server can also be a contributor for other people to leave, and more than just 1 person too.

• Agree Agree x 22
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    1:38 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    I am going to preface this by saying that I'm overall very pleased with the way the server is moderated. I have disagreed with a few bans, and called for some things to become actionable, but when I look objectively at the size of the server and the amount of not OK stuff that goes on (a very small amount), it's actually quite amazing that everything is as chill and drama free, relatively speaking, as it is. It is a far cry away from most other games and even other MS pservers.

So in light of that, I think topics like this are hard to address. On one hand, harsh punishment is not needed in an environment where most people are not belligerent or consistently breaking rules. On the other hand, I have to wonder how much of the atmosphere of the server comes down to strict moderation. That being said, I rarely see people I know getting banned unfairly or even really interacting negatively with staff. So I don't understand why some people feel that there needs to be harsher punishment and more punishment or, similarly, that there is a lot drama and bans going around. I really have to wonder what people are getting up to that they get involved in this stuff

I have to disagree with this point. Outright inconveniencing people, repeatedly, and handicapping their ability to effectively play the game could be just as effective as a permanent ban. It's more work for GMs, which is a totally valid reason to not take this approach, but it does allow people a second, third, fourth chance. I think Alyosha had a good idea: just cap it out at a month or something but require less evidence and allow less leeway for repeat offenders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor

More policy. More things to manage. More rules to follow. More reasons to be concerned about some unsolicited ban. When you have the ability to rule case by case, complex policies only make things difficult for all parties.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    5:38 AM
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    why only answering a single point? There are so many other stuff being discussed. The effect of skarmory on the game was nothing like what Project used to be in 2016. You could check in his tribute, how important he was to the community. However, this is not the main point of the discussion. Staff can't use leaks from private discord to permanently ban people, leaks that weren't meant to be shared. This creates a hostile envoriment of permanent sense of persecution. If staff chat gets leaked won't there be any community harsment ban material? I bet that it would. The same goes to any private discord of friends. Not talking about boss, MapleLegends or dm discord. Staff can't act like north korea and police what people say inside their homes at the mercy of informers. This rulling brought more bad feeling in the community in geral than good as you could notice criticism comming even from your own staff members and so many other players who can't swallow what happened

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    My post had absolutely nothing to do with whatever your post is talking about, and neither did I say my post had anything to do with whatever happened to Skarmory. My post was meant to address those that imply rules only cause active players to get banned, while an active player can very well also be the cause of other people to quit if their behaviour is bad. I was not talking about Skarmory at all but rather talking in general.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Yeah that's true. But all those toxic people can return at any time, and you know that. Even if it was a permanent ban because of VPNs. There's no way to control that unfortunately. And you may end up being unfair in some judgements.
    So like, I'd rather stop the account bans in this case, so there's no chance to be unfair :D

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. Wensleydale

Wensleydale Orange Mushroom

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    4:38 AM
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    For starters, I think it's really easy to not harass or bully others. If you are consistently being accused of such actions then perhaps you are contributing to the problem. However, I do think the wording of subsection 3.3.3 of the ToS is less than desirable. My main, and really only issue, being this line specifically:

2. A series of repeated actions or recurring behavior across various platforms or different points in time
    I find it completely unreasonable to try and police actions outside of the MapleLegends platform. As per the Terms of Service, the MapleLegends platform is defined as:

MapleLegends Platforms = Collectively referring to the MapleLegends Discord, MapleLegends Forums, and MapleLegends Server (in-game)
    I think that it's entirely fair to hand out bans and other infractions for those individuals harassing others within the MapleLegends platform. Policing outside the jurisdiction of that platform is dangerous. In an era of "fake news" and artificial intelligence, it's becoming harder to decipher what is legitimate and what is not. If you are accepting evidence from any platform then I feel like that can lead to more "false positive" infractions and general deception.

Why does the legends staff care what people are doing outside of their platform?

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    11:38 AM
    While understanding and semi agreeing with any form of harrassment would be punishable, I respectfully disagree that more things to manage would cause a loss of active player base.

The TOS is a foundation or a form of agreement that we all have to follow. With that, I also assume that all staff agrees to deal with all the details that comes with it, since they posted it officially. So I don't think it's not something that a player has to deal with while playing the game and quit the game.

I just hope I understood the point you made correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    I understand and agree that 'having a good impact on community' isn't a pass to harass. The point is what staff is considering harrassment. I just broght Skarmory topic to discuss more of the points that are beeing presented on the post as a general

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Not to mention you can simply use a fake account to not get ban.

11. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    I agree with this stance. I would like to add that harassment that carries over into the ML platform even by referring to it with probably malicious intent should still count (e.g. you call someone a racist slur in the guild discord and then ingame you tell them "i still stand by what I said in the guild discord" that's still messed up and should result in an appropriate consequence.)

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    I don’t know entire story of either skarmony or Project, but just become one was “accepted” in the past doesn’t mean it should be now.

I, however, do feel that the tribute for him is not a true reflection of who he is and what he did. Before that thread came out, all I knew of him was: 1. He was a very dedicated player and pushed the boundaries of BM. 2. He was at the core of many conflicts with many players.

Personally I have nothing against him and neither can I say what I heard about him was the only truth. I’m sure he was a nice and caring person to some. But at the end of the day, his behavior got him to where he is now.

There probably was a reason that he was banned and you were not, as you also did a lot for the community. Whether the ban was reasonable is up to interpretation. You don’t have to agree with it, but unless you can convince the staff otherwise, you are going to have to accept it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Oh I would love to join Staff. I never applied because my english is poor, but I'm sure I'd do an amazing work there, specially related to this. Im really sensate yeah I am.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I think you heard a lot of shit, but as you said you don't know the entire story...
    Btw you really should consider the fact he was not only leader of one of the strongest guilds in this game but also used to host 3~4 PB runs weekly. TRUST ME that's a lot of drama to deal with.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    What I wanted to mean is that it's not about looking at one's contribution to the community. It's about having fair and reasonable rules. Skarmory was permanently banned on all of his mains for community harassment due to leaks from his own guild discord. However, he didn't have enough strikes to justify a permanent ban at that time. What I'm defending here is not just about Skarmory; it's mainly about staff rulings that can affect any player. It's about an overly moderated game environment by the staff, which results in a significant sense of insecurity among a large part of the players, even from Staff members who didn't agree with the decision

16. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    I’m sure it does. I’m neither a guild leader, strong, or host anything. So I won’t know the drama that comes with it as you say. But the things I hear about has nothing to do with either of those facts. Details I won’t go into here, but if you’re interested you can message me.

17. Raso

Raso Slimy Retired Staff

Jul 2, 2017
    Female
    Noctua
    Shadower
    Perion
    Retired staff is not obliged to keep on behaving in a professional manner, so they can (more) freely express their own personal opinions and no longer have to be completely objective. Their personal opinions as retired staff do not reflect the way staff thinks or is related to how current staff handles their things. It is what it is, a personal opinion.

Now the other part of your reply I do agree with. I wish people would atleast try to resolve issues themselves before running to the forums for a report. Sometimes its a simple misunderstanding solved in mere minutes. Saves everyone time and a shitty mood honestly! Unfortunatly once reports are made, regardless of how petty, staff has to do something with it (which could also end up in "this isnt enough to act on, report closed" kind of response). Its not ideal, but theres not much that can be done about it really.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    I can see your concern, and I agree it can be unclear in the ruling. Was there no strikes prior to his permanent ban? This is a simple question for staff.

19. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    11:38 AM
    Very much agreed...

...with this statement.

I honestly don't think that people should be accounted for their actions outside of ML platforms, unless the affected party is being harrassed within ML platforms or the issue is being dragged into one of these platforms.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that people can freely harrass anyone in anywhere, but every platform has their own internal ruleset along with the platforms' own TOS.

I believe the confusion here can be corrected by stating this in a more clear way in the TOS, because I believe 3.3.3 can be interperated as something happening outside of ML still binds players within here, which I believe is not the intention of that section.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    he had 1 strike in ea part of the ruling. 1 harass, 1 griefing and 1 mass griefing. At the time the rule would require 3 bans in one section to proc a permanent ban