1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Upgrade Curve Be Changed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bienfu, Sep 5, 2023.

1. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    10:56 PM
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Honestly I’m suprised people complain about 14 att gloves when they are one of the cheaper items lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    11:56 PM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Part of me doesn't want to bother with it considering how opinionated we all are tbh

3. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    7:56 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Opinions lose out to facts though, if your journal just shows x hours played and y goals attained, those numbers speak for themself.
    (I feel very Ben Shapiro typing this, sorry)

4. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    More of an example than anything

5. OP
    OP
    bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    Whys it feel like theres a subset of insane rich maplers intentionally disregarding the primary point of the post trying to derail the conversation?

Suberlator's point and the whole point of the post is what matters: Where is the wall, how can that wall be better balanced, and most importantly *what are the impacts it has on playerbase and player retention?*

Or are our subset of forum maplers content to not give a shit about the status of the playerbase and enjoyability for people who aren't them?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Yeah but just in game alone the amount of back-seat scrollers surrounding timeless equips is ridiculous. I've heard everything during my attempts from

Level first then ws+10 from slot 0 or dont use timeless whatsoever
    Craft timeless then buy a different tradeable bow
    60% the timeless because 130+ is still possible with 60%'s

I don't need beegorattobeegoratto and fartsyfartsy getting in on that too when I disclose my scrolling plans lol

7. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    This, mainly. Beeg runs in 18 man PB the best paying content in the game so meso isn't as much of an issue I would imagine, Ainz has a "different" playstyle that isn't hugely impacted and well fartsy is just dumb rich LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PumpkinJuice

PumpkinJuice Orange Mushroom

Nov 26, 2022
    1:56 PM
    Honestly from reading this post, I feel some players misunderstand "Perfection" and the wall they need to hit. They saw players that played for more than 5 years, therefore achieving insane gears and have much fundings, and thought that this what is expected of end game. When realising it will take 5 years to hit it, they felt that the wall is "blocking" which is the amount of time needed to reach "Perfection".

There is no real wall, whatever you want to achieve is set by yourself. And this applies to not only Maplelegends, is applies to every other games as well. Many games have a soft limit cap, that when hit, any other progression is more or less redundant, but some players wants to achieve the hard limit, which is "Perfection", like perfect gears, perfect stats, or even perfect storyplay, and therefore grind the hell out of the game.

Therefore the question is: Why do we need to balance something that isn't critical to a normal gameplay?

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I think the most important metric is # of hours it takes to obtain a chaos or white scroll. I thought ML was fairly balanced for the average player in 2019 / 2020, where it would take about 5 hours of efficient skele or petri leech to buy a scroll.

Nowadays, it is impossible to obtain a WS or CS within 5 hours of gameplay unless you are doing some degenerate multiclient strategies.

However, after discussing with yao, the price increases to this day are fully driven by demand (more coins, cs and ws are currently in the economy than ever before), so the only fix here is to release op event content like demon tower pre-nerf.

But, it is unlikely staff will allow a content that allows players to profit so much per hour.

I think that the best course of action is to do like ovv suggested - and find a way to increase your income, whether thats just running bosses more efficiently, or loading up mage(s) to farm or sell leech.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    If anything, I tried to start a discourse on where precisely the wall is and what this means, but that point was ignored by both of you :')

11. OP
    OP
    bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    The wall was made pretty clear in the post. It is about your own stat progression relative to effort invested, in which case happens when you want to upgrade from something like the 3, 4 attack cape you have, for a mere 6 7 attack cape for like hundreds and hundreds (if not a billion) more mesos, or when you want to go from a 14 attack glove to 15 or higher.

For the cast majority of people, the wall isn't the content you can participate in, but the content you CAN participate in AND/OR do said content more efficiently and/or even want to participate in be an aspect that is influenced by the wall of your own individual gear progression and ultimately enjoyability.

I can play diablo 2, clear to hell mode with crap gear, and technically have beaten the game, but the actual gameplay is in finishing your build or gearing out your characters for 95% of people which is where the wall exists. The same applies to a varying degree in MapleLegends too. People may work hard enough to participate in pink bean, but those people will still experience what they see as a wall because it becomes expontentially harder to progress for little gains. The thing is though, said players can also see meet that wall WELL BEFORE getting to pink bean, or NT bosses, and thus also face a level of discouragement to the point that they may not even bother with the rest of that content. Why would Little Sammy Manzel want to work to unlock the content of Pink Bean and Auf Heven when they reached their wall before doing that content, and then learning that when they do get to that content, well the wall is still too steep for the rest of their experience to be enjoyable, and thus devolve into an FM Hoe.

12. PumpkinJuice

Nov 26, 2022
    The wall you spoke of is unclear. You made a point about how it takes billions to make a small progression, yet this example you gave is easily achievable.

I bought leech for 10 hours before, 5-6f duo mage with hs, so the party have 3 slots to sell. It costs 100m for that day itself, with 3 buyers it is 300m for that day. And a wa 6 slot 1, from what i just owled, cost 330m.

Maybe start using examples which you expect to really hit a wall.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    No, you supported the point of the wall quite well.

In order for me to go from a 4 attack cape to the 6 attack cape you owled, I have to shell out 330m.

That 330m is achievable by... duo mage leech selling.

Nice! Average player definitely wants to do that. Invest in mages, classes they may not even necessarily want to play, to do the most mindless leech selling for a good number of hours, just for a 2 WA improvement.

And then what happens, when its not a 6 attack cape I want, but 8 attack?

Oh then you see the costs exponentially rise, thus the effort expontentially rises, for ... 4 WA.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  14. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Why spend 330m on 2 attack when you can use 100 apples for 100 attack for 1000 minutes.

• Creative Creative x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  15. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Why is there no funny react, please give us funny react lol

16. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Reroll to NL for that pro level meso savings, easy extendo-pots buff

17. PumpkinJuice

Nov 26, 2022
    First you make the point that the wall is requiring billions of meso for small 1 wa upgrade, meaning the difficulty is at around end game.

Then you make examples about 6 - 7 wa capes, which i replied it can take only roughly 1 day for a player around end game to get it, which should not be a considered a wall from your point, and give examples that are more suitable for your first statement.

And now suddenly you are talking about average player?

What?

What average player are you referring to anyway? When i started ML, it took me 1-2 months to get few hundred millions from literal nothing. No chars, no meso, Zero. No hardcore leveling a mage to 120 and sell leech, just casual playing.

It only gets much more when I can sell leech, not to a point of 300m a day, but lets say 2 hours every weekday with 12m low level leech, 5 hours per weekend, you already get 240m in a week. So again, what average player are you talking about?

Or is what i said is not average enough for you?

Btw, average players don't care for 1 wa upgrade. They just want to play the game and do some bossing. The wall they hit can be literally after pq levels, and there is no more pq left to do, or killing horntail is their end goal.

So be clear. The wall you want to be balance is where? Or you meant that 330m is too difficult and we should make it easier to achieve?

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    The trick is that there is no wall. It's an arbitrary point set at whatever a particular player wants to complain about. You're using actual numbers and data, which I've found usually doesn't go over well, as they tend to just ignore it entirely.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    I just want to say that I fully support your Timeless crafting and scrolling endeavours and will continue to cheer you on while you directly fund me and my PB runners :)

It may not be the most efficient way of progression but it's nice to see you have certain goals in mind and how you want to achieve these

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Fwiw, 330m can easily be earned by any casual player within a short span of time as well. You don't need mages, multiclienting, sweating, or whatever else. I understand the point of this thread is moreso the difficulty in earning exponentially larger sums of money, but you're sabotaging your own discussion by already deeming duomage leech selling a necessity for earning a sum as small as 330m.

• Agree Agree x 1