1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Buccaneer nerf when?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThuMay26, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    6:26 PM

buccs have low total attack compared to corsairs? what? they have the exact same attack on their weapons. 79 max atk for lvl 100 weapon

edit: BULLETS

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  2. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    6:26 AM
    Corsair have attack from bullets

3. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    6:26 PM
    TRUE i didnt think of that

4. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    3:26 PM
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    tbh I don't mind a largely support-focused class being really strong. Bucc can situationally deal pog damage, but mostly they are support tanks - a role that is generally unpopular

If they were "balanced" they'd be as common as DKs

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Where are the DK buffs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Concupiscent

Concupiscent Snail

Jul 28, 2023
    Female
    Concupiscent
    F/P Arch Mage, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Marksman, Buccaneer
    It seems unfair to include such high DPM expectations for buccaneers in the post. I'm aware of only a couple of buccs on the server who might achieve that level of DPM and they have perfect gear and are level 200. For most buccs, getting competitive DPM is difficult, especially when considering that knuckle scrolls are almost as expensive as bows now. There's also no way that a bucc will have anywhere near that DPM when pinning a boss (because using demo will break the pin), so that's also important to keep in mind.

Getting consistently high DPM for buccs also require a lot of dedication and effort. If you ask any bucc that's proud to be a bucc, their keyboard is filled to the brim with skills from 1st job. Take one of the main attack combos for example: Barrage + Barrel + Attack, repeat. There are also plenty of guides on how buccs can further increase their dpm with mixtures of Barrage + Barrel + Energy Orb* (but only when there's one target otherwise use blah blah). I think decreasing their overall bucc DPM would be unfair given the effort it takes to excel with this class.

It's worth noting that although buccs are in demand for end-game content, playing one is incredibly stressful. Not only do they need to time to charge bubble to TL, they also need to make sure they don't die when there is no res left. I've witnessed too many times during PB when all of the res is used and the bucc that needs to TL dies while trying to charge bubble and then the run is over. (I think adding the need for bubble charge to TL is already a huge nerf)

Lastly, it's becoming increasingly evident that buccs are losing relevance in the current meta, mostly due to the widespread availability of TL mules. Nearly everyone seems to have access to TL now, which diminishes the distinctive role buccs have. I knew people used to mule buccs in zak to sell AFK helms, but I've also seen people do that for AFK htp now.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    One day every class will be muled except NL which will be duo attacked. What a glorious future that awaits us.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:26 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    I’m sure the bucc in op’s thread thinks otherwise

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Headless Horseman

Mar 13, 2023
    4:26 PM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    if buccs can do more DPM they deserve it, their class actually requires skill

10. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Find me an unskilled but funded NL and have them post their DPMs.

11. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    you called?

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Post your DPMs

13. MrTrufs

MrTrufs Snail

Sep 12, 2023
    That buccaneer dpm is so misleading, clearly that dpm was taken from someone with insane gear as what percentage of buccs in ML actually does that dpm in PB? Even steering away to other bosses, buccs actually do less dpm compared to all range classes.
    Might seem biased as a bucc, but instead of creating a whole forum post to prove why buccs need to be nerfed, why not create a post to prove why your class needs to be buffed / should not be nerfed? at the end of the day, we just have the same goal as to defeating end game bosses etc. and not treat other classes as competition.

14. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    All 3 of those DPMs were taken by the same person with the same gear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Joker

Joker King Slime Retired Staff

Oct 20, 2020
    Male
    Sanji
    Buccaneer
    Nimbus
    Personal Opinion:
    Firstly, the screenshots you posted of PB for statue dpm are not a good source of reference. The reason I say this is because, depending on gear DPMs can vary heavily, PB runs vary heavily (how long/often you were being sed through the statue phase, how many DRs stopped you from completely attacking, etc.)

Buccs are good for PB because of their utility, but not because of their DPM. When a bucc has to hold aggro of PB main body, so that all of the attackers can free-fire DPM, they sacrifice a big portion of their DPM for this. What is the result of this? Only 1-3 active buccs are required for PB, rest can be muled. Also not sure if you're familiar with the PB scene, but buccs are a luxury to find for a lot of runs. There aren't many high-level end game buccs that are active.

For a bucc to achieve its highest possible dpm you need to be fully concentrated the entirety of the fight. Barrel canceling, using skills that deal with energy orb(depending if it's up or not), and even more if you need to hold aggro for a boss. (no netflix unless you're trying to do snail dmg)

Buccs are horrible at cleaving, they are not better than any of the ranged (non-mage) classes for single target DPMs, and in a lot of scenarios, they aren't better than paladins in single-target-focused bosses. Of course, there are some exceptions.

Currently, there is a shortage of end-game buccs. Partly due to the classes being a lot of work to play and also their damage isn't even respectable until you max ST, demo, barrage, dragon strike, si(11) and tl. When does this actually happen around? Level 17x and that's without any points in MW. Before that, their dmg is not really high compared to other classes.

So, after everything I've told you, I hope you're better informed about the buccs pros and cons. There is a reason why people will buy leech from 120-170, but in my opinion, our goal should be to have more active classes throughout as many stages of the game as possible.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    all 3 screenshots are the same person

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Is this the official balance team opinion?

18. Joker

Oct 20, 2020
    Male
    Sanji
    Buccaneer
    Nimbus
    There are still other variance factors. Weapons will vary your DPM, not having the equivalent stat gear will vary DPM, levels vary DPM due to scaling with wpn atck, etc. Then that also proves the fact that they were 3 different runs that could've had completely different scenarios play out. It's just not a good reference point IMO.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  19. Joker

Oct 20, 2020
    Male
    Sanji
    Buccaneer
    Nimbus
    No, this is my personal opinion.

20. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    2 of those were +8 timeless weapons, and the other was 90 purple sleeve.

But sure, a BT member has trouble reading the thread before drawing conclusions.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1