1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Quest Sanctuary

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redwop, Jan 27, 2023.

1. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    10:53 PM
    The other possibility could be that Jane Doe herself took her own life. Of course, it does not support what she has said about not knowing how she died. So, that remains an open question. And I say this, because there's every chance, as much we would like to place our trust in NPCs, they could be lying or exaggerating about certain events for the effect of drama.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

I think I'll deviate slightly briefly here to share thoughts about Mr. Sandman, who can be found in Amoria.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I believe in GMS, during an event, Mr. Sandman was made to be an exchange NPC. He was the NPC you went to exchange Wish Tickets, all of which, at the time, dropped from various monsters.

The color of the ticket corresponds to the level range of where the mob sits. For example, if you're hunting Orange Mushroom, which is a level 8 mob, you get a Yellow Wish Ticket (YWT); as you would, if you were to hunt Green Mushroom, a level 15 mob; because YWTs drop from mobs between levels 1 and 20. I think the individual level ranges for the tickets included levels 1–20; 21–40; and 40–60. And so, clearly, this is an event intended for lower-levelled players.

When you bring a certain amount of any of these tickets to Mr. Sandman, he would agree to do the exchange with you. In other words, he would give you items, mostly, potions. Sometimes, he would even give you items that you cannot find in other places, such as armor, in which the sprites of the individual items had been re-colored.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

These items — which are in the server — require the same stat requirement as that of the items on which they are based. For example, Pickpocket Filfer, still requires 80 DEX and 110 LUK; much the other Pilfer variants. Unless the Wish Ticket event becomes active — which I find unlikely — there are currently no other means for players to get them.

It makes sense, understandably, why these items exist as items to use in combat. Although, I think, because they are re-colored, they would work just as well as cosmetic non-NX covers; especially seeing that none of these items are in circulation anywhere in the game. To be honest, I feel hopeful about seeing a change like this, especially after today in learning about the suggestion that was accepted — and other items, like these, that may come into the server in the future.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But, even if it was decided that it was not be turned into a non-NX cover, I was surprised GMS did not consider making these items available by adding them to the drop table for Crystal Boar or Indigo Eye. These mobs sit in the same level range as the items themselves. It is still a mystery, to this day, as to why these mobs were not given a regular drop table.

Returning to Wish Tickets, I suppose the exchange Mr. Sandman had could be re-introduced, in some capacity — for example, in a future event. I have no concrete suggestions yet for what I'd personally do with it, but with it existing, a plethora of possibilities could now be considered.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    9:53 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    LOL, i remmember this!

4. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

If you go to Kerning City, presumably at level 10, you can find a boy sitting outside Naora Hospital. If you talk to him, you will be first tested on your knowledge of the game; for what you are expected to know. In particular, the very last question, specifically, tells you where it is that you can go to visit these other (wonderful) places.

Icarus is "bored". He wants you to give him something to do. At this point in this story, we know very little about him, other than him sharing the same name as the Greek figure on which he is based. And judging by his articles of clothing, with the depiction of wings, eventually, we would expect to complete a series of quests; that are, in some respects, related somewhat to flight, or flying in general.

[​IMG]

"Invitation to Aquarium" is an ETC item that exists. Essentially, it is an item that Icarus himself has lost. When this item was introduced to the game, it was meant to be retrieved from killing monsters.

In KMS, where this item was first introduced, the item was used during an event — specifically, Children's Day, which is celebrated in different countries. We are told, in this quest, that Icarus wants to take his friend of the same age with him to the Aquarium. He has lost his invitation and wants you to help him to get it back.

[​IMG]

Without leaving people in the dark any longer to speculate who exactly his friend was, I will reveal the identity of the mystery friend: It was Ronnie. We never get to see any sort of indication, at least now, that Ronnie and Icarus were or even are friends. And none of the quests they offer, really, have anything to do with each other. Less so having a route to travel to the Aquarium from Victoria Island, what I think would be even more splendid is, if, one day, a quest like this was written in, specifically to explore the dynamics of their friendship.

If anything, I think, at the very least, it would explain a bit more behind why Icarus is facing a sense of boredom.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  5. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

If you go to Manager Karl's House, you can find his daughter Nemi (네미). If you approach her, she will ask you to help her with various errands.

At the moment, she has been given four quests. In the first quest, you're told to bring a lunch box that she prepared to Karl.

[​IMG]

(Trivia: At this point, you may have noticed that the lunchbox is prepared for "Kaho" at the Toy Factory. Who is "Kaho", you might ask? It's Karl. In KMS, Karl was named "Kaho" / "Gaho" or "가호". So, for the sake of naming consistency, it would be preferrable to rename the lunchbox, such that it gets delivered to "Karl" — or "Kaho" or "Gaho", assuming that Manager Karl is renamed instead.)

You can consume the lunchbox and heal only 10 HP. Even though it is meant to be delivered, I think it's kind of quirky that you also can eat it, and get another one from Nemi — that is, if you forfeit the quest and start again.

As for Nemi's individual requests, we learn that she prepares food, that is, she cooks meals for her father to bring to work. However, she still needs your help, in particular, to gather ingredients for her to use.

[​IMG]

In her first request, she gives you a small task. All you need to do is to get for her 10 Savory Cheese. Ratz is already on the first few floors of the Eos Tower, from either end. I recommend starting and finishing the quest from the end of Ludibrium; it will help you to return more quickly to Nemi.

[​IMG]

Her second request — also fairly small — requires you to retrieve 15 Small Eggs. We assume you can eat the "Small Egg", even though that isn't explicitly stated anywhere in the description of the item itself. Unlike Ratz, Small Eggs come from only only mob. To collect them, you need to go to the very bottom of the Eos Tower, and kill Tweeter.

[​IMG]

Once you get the ingredients for her, Nemi comes to you with a "dilemma". She notices her food is disappearing, which she accredits to the actions of Ratz. Nemi wants for that to stop happening, so she asks that you get her 45 Rat Trap.

(I suppose this quest could be read as a "dilemma". Nemi has only realised that after keeping Ratz as a "toy rat", her food has been disappearing. I suppose she has confronted the decision to "catch" things to "protect" her effort, or risk losing everything if she insists to keep Ratz around; and fortunately, it is the former.)

[​IMG]

I believe this quest had potential to be designed in a similar way to Camila's Gem. What I mean is that, in Camila's Gem, you have here the chance of getting a "Pig Illustrated". I feel something similar to that could have been done for the Lunch Box weapon.

I do realise that, years ago, a suggestion to introduce Lunchboxes into MapleLegends were rejected on the grounds that it was used as an "OP" weapon by Heros.

Even still, I still would like to see the item come into the game. Maybe not as to how it was originally, but with changes; or as a reward for completing Nemi's quests.

[​IMG]

A few changes have since been applied to these series of quests. Namely, first, "Small Egg" was swapped out for "Lost Egg"; and it was made to drop from Ratz, and not Tweeter. Second, in KMS, everything was up-scaled; and so, too, were the EXP and the rewards, which were changed to reflect that.

Even though it is true that you can get more EXP completing the quests sequentially (i.e. N.F.I., N.S.I., and then N.D.), it is a different matter altogether when it comes to finishing those quests. That is, Tweeter, in the second part of Nemi's request, can be hard to kill. The fact that Tweeters are also "flying" mobs can make it difficult, especially for those who have issues with their attack range, or are limited to close combat.

My personal gripes with Nemi's requests also concerns the sequence of events as they happen. I find it a bit irregular to have Nemi ask that you bring to her ingredients first, at least before dealing with the situation concerning Ratz in her house. I would have asked for the traps first — seeing that it is a regular ETC item that drops from Ratz — and then followed up with more requests. That is, I would have made "Nemi's Dilemma" the first quest in the chain, and have the quests for the "Ingredients" follow.

Similarly, I don't understand why she specifically wants "Small Egg", and why it also has to drop only from Tweeter. Personally, I would have given the option for Chirrpy to drop Eggs. So, that way, you could also do the quest, while still being at the end of Ludibrium. Chirrpy is also easier to kill, because it is 8 levels lower than Tweeter. I also think the eggs could be "untradeable" and be turned into a "quest item". Tweeter can be made to drop a different (and new) ETC item, much like Chirrpy and their Worn-Out Goggles.

The rewards are not terrible but aren't fantastic either. I personally have found it beneficial to complete Nemi's Dilemma to get a level 30 hat; less so, for the 100 Hamburgers and the Lightning Earrings that come in the quests before it. So, it is recommended that changes are sought in the design of the quests and the rewards.

6. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    It's been a while since I last entered this thread. Not much has really happened since; I've mostly just been busy. So, yeah. (Excuses, I know.)

[​IMG]

In one of my earlier posts I was talking about the Alcaster quest, and suddenly today I had this thought about Eurek. I didn't really touch on much about him then, so I thought I'd share a thought or two today — it's nothing big, at least I don't think, but anyway.

So, Eurek, as we know, can be found in different areas around the Maple World: Sleepywood, El Nath, Ludibrium, Leafre, and Magatia.

I must've not read the NPC text before when he said that only he can make The Summoning Rock and The Magic Rock. I imagine most players wouldn't be creating any of those rocks through Eurek, but instead would be buying it from the shop that Alcaster opens once you've done that long chain quest: "In Search of the Book of Ancient", which I covered in one of my earlier posts here.

I know that most of what's written below in his dialogue is mostly just copy-and-paste but it had me thinking for a bit, that's all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sometimes I kind of look at this list he has and think to myself about what it would be like if Maple had gone in another direction with him, and made all the items that he listed here as part of a series of smaller quests and tasks. Like, with him being a "wandering alchemist" and then finding out, as you bring some items, that somehow he "finds out" that this item, or that item, could be potentially useful for his alchemy.

Eurek was added into the game pretty early on, and you can tell by the items that are listed here the items don't go beyond Sleepywood, El Nath and Ludibrium. Given that Eurek was added to Leafre and Magatia, I'm surprised, in one sense, that because he's in those regions as well that his list wasn't updated to include items that drop from some of the monsters in those regions. And similarly, giving Eurek a different dialogue in each area so that his list only contains the items that drop from the monsters that you will find there, and nowhere else — for example, Taurospear Horn in Eurek's list if he was in Sleepywood, but not if he was in El Nath. (Not that it's a big deal or anything, but you know it's just an observation. Although, Eurek does appear in one of the quests that start from Magatia though — but that's an entirely different thing.)

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

Earlier on in the game's history, Wizet wrote a quest for Cody, which they called "Cody and the Amusement Park". However, the idea was later abandoned. To this day there are some objects that hint at what the amusement park might have been like. It'll never be clear as to what Wizet intended but it does leave a bit of room for me in my mind to imagine about what things might have been there.

For example, I sometimes picture there being activities, such as a rollercoaster, a ferris wheel, a droptower, etc; and that every character irrespective of their level could join.

None of these (terrible) drawings are drawn to scale, other than to illustrate the idea.

[​IMG]
    Rollercoaster (JQ)

[​IMG]
    Ferris Wheel

[​IMG]
    Droptower

Then there would be other stalls, like the Hot Dog stand, where you just would buy Hot Dog (Supreme).

[​IMG]

I imagine that in order to participate you would have to be admitted with a ticket, which could be limited to a fixed amount (e.g. 5) per day, or you'd see a random amount of tickets (e.g. 2, 4, 1) given to three different players per day. So, there would be a bit of chance involved, much like the amount of times you get lucky or unlucky when you play against the Rock-Paper-Scissors Admin.

[​IMG]

One of the images that surfaced at the time was the tent and it seems to give off "carnival" vibes. It's unclear what they were planning to do with it. Perhaps Spiegelmann might have been introduced to the game as a way to give life to this object. Who knows.

[​IMG]

A tent similar to this also exists in Ariant, which can be found in the "Tent of the Entertainers" map.

[​IMG]

While I think Cody's Amusement Park could have been this spectacular display, I actually think, if it was introduced, that it would just be a "meeting place". That is to say, it would just be a place where you'd gather with some players and take photos with them.

To me, it seems that the official game developers had wanted to keep the idea of having a theme park in their game, which might explain why they added "Fantastic Theme Park" and "Wood Theme Park" respectively.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
  8. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have some rather unusual opinions to share about Kerning Party Quest (KPQ).

• I'm a bit surprised about the level requirement for KPQ in the official game. I had originally assumed that the PQ would have a higher level requirement, because the mobs inside — specifically, Ligator and Curse Eye; with the exception of Jr. Necki, which is level 21 — are all above level 30. (Of course, that doesn't exclude anyone who is outside the range who can kill the mobs; because they most certainly can.) And then I incorrectly assumed that every other PQ would follow with that same idea, in a similar way.
    • The level requirement of the Squishy Shoes that you get from there is also set to be worn at level 30.

And this is probably already known but I include it here nonetheless as a bit of trivia.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The names of the two NPCs, Lakelis and Cloto, are inspired by the names that were given to sisters, who, in Greek mythology, were collectively recognised as being the Moirai. That is to say, Lakelis is a direct misspelling of "Lachesis", and Cloto is spelt similarly to "Clotho".

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

According to the library, if you search for "Huckle", you'll find Huckle himself, and then an unused object of his: "Huckle's Lamp". This item is a weapon rather than an ETC item, which also means that it does not have an item description, so it is not clear as to how it was intended to be used in the game.

I think the Gladius sprite used for the item is a "placeholder" — in other words, the sprite designers at the time might have decided that since they were no longer actively pursuing the idea, that a sprite for it would also not be needed; although I imagine the lamp might have looked like this:

[​IMG]

It also does beg the question as to whether the "Hidden Room", where Huckle can be found, was originally intended to be used for something else; for example, a jump quest, where you can use the lamp to navigate your way through the dark, so as to find and rescue him and bring him back to safe ground.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
  10. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

As I had mentioned before in a previous post, Omega Sector is considered by the game developers to be a theme dungeon, where the mobs span between the level ranges of 40 to 46: and this is not including mini-bosses in the area, such as Chief Gray and MT-09, which are levels 49 and 54 respectively.

All quests in Omega Sector make use of the ETC items that drop from these monsters. For example, Rice the Medic asks for Mateon Tentacle so that he can use it to make an antidote.

The quest “Artificial Combatant Zeno”, I believe — although I could be wrong — was not originally available in v0.62 GMS; but it was introduced to MapleLegends as a way to make use of Zeno, which is the highest-level monster found in Omega Sector. A key item of interest is the Wave Translator: and to get it you would need to exchange 30 Receiving Apparatus, 30 Small Spaceship, 10 Gray Tentacle, and 1 Chief Gray’s Sign; all of which except for Gray Tentacle which is a “quest item”, are regular ETC items. If not for this quest, Receiving Apparatus and Small Spaceship would have remained unused because no other quests would have asked for it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Jr. Officer Medin and Kevin the Soldier are stationed in the town of Omega Sector and are involved in some quests, namely: “Revolutionary Defensive Wall Construction Plan”, and “Help Kevin the Soldier's Vacation Plans”; both of which are considered to be side-quests, that is, they are not viewed to be as impactful when compared to the other quests that come from that area.

So what follows now are some of my brief thoughts about Kevin the Soldier. When you talk to Kevin the Soldier, he will tell you: “Sigh. I wish I could go outside and defeat the aliens myself, but the only work I am getting is restricted to here at the headquarters. I am confident that I can do a good job too. When can I go out and combat them… ?”. In his only quest Kevin also briefly mentions about Medin and how he is unable to find him. He then says: “You know, I entered the army to fight the aliens, but here I am, currently just protecting the HQ, and it's really affecting my patience. I would more than love to use a day off to travel, but you, you haven't really accomplished EVERYTHING.”. While to me having a holiday would sound great — I think I could relate to why Kevin would express his need to get away from work — what he says though — reading again his default dialogue — did not match with his original desire to want to fight against aliens.

So, I feel from what was said, Kevin may have needed another quest, perhaps to explain why he felt a need to fight the aliens; and by relating to what I had said before — about “Artificial Combatant Zeno” — and about any items that were unused then — specifically, Receiving Apparatus and Small Spaceship — they may have been considered at one point as items that were to be collected for another story that was not told; and that this same story could also potentially involve Medin in some capacity.

This is more of a side note, but in MapleLegends, Medin was not given default NPC text; although it can be assumed, from the information given, that it would be: “My name is Jr. Officer Medin.” — because that is the opening sentence taken from his only quest.

And this is more of a personal wish — of course, nothing that would be regarded as significant, at least in terms of influencing the game — but in other versions of MapleStory, Omega Sector is better known as “Earth Defense Headquarters”: and I quite like that name, because I think it has a nice ring to it. However, I do think it could be confusing to players now to rename the entire area “Earth Defense Headquarters”, even though that was what it was called in other regions of the game, because “Omega Sector'' has been used — across different server regions, namely, GMS, EMS and MSEA — for a long time: although the name could still be used, even if it is just for one map — maybe for the town itself.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  11. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

This thread was opened 1 year ago.

• Great Work Great Work x 4
  12. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    9:53 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Thanks for the contribution, I really like this thread and it's one of the few things that are new to me, I learn a lot

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Cabbagehead

Cabbagehead Orange Mushroom

Nov 10, 2021
    8:53 PM
    Happy 1 year anniversary! I really enjoy reading all the trivia across different versions or servers. joymush
    I wonder what's your take on Ariant questline, personally I feel its story, along with Magatia questline, are more engaging than most one-off quests elsewhere. While Magatia questline has a closure, Ariant questline seems ending abruptly in my opinion. What's the true identity of Areda (queen)? What happened to Sand Bandits afterwards? Did Schegerazade reunite with her brother in the end? I tried searching maplewiki and youtube to see if there's a continuation of this quest but couldn't find anything. I wish we could have more quests for the plot, like carrying out all kinds of missions as a Sand Bandits' member and see its impact on the town, working as a spy for under the royalty and getting access to various secret maps; eventually decide the future of Ariant.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    Thank you!

I might only just briefly comment on Ariant, although I do think players will, I think at least, appreciate the game when they get to do the quests from both areas.

Personally I feel the way that the developers had envisaged Ariant and the quests that they added to the area have been approached with an interesting, albeit slightly unique slant on the original stories from which they were based. Although, I do also think the quests give meaning to the "story" part of the name that was given to this game, and are quite motivating for newer players, especially for those who are looking for a way to level up more quickly.

(This is not a major gripe, although I think it is worth mentioning that Schegerazade was spelled "Scheherazade" in the original game, because that was also how her name was spelled in the original story.)

I partly agree with your observation that Ariant could offer a bit more for players to do. On the official servers you also had the Ariant Hunting Competition, or is sometimes otherwise referred to as Ariant Coliseum. If it was not designed to be whatever it turned out to be, I am sure they would have at least tried to integrate whatever idea they had decided to use for it to expand upon the general storyline of the area itself. Although I am not sure if it ties in with what you were saying about the questions you had posed which were about wanting to know more about some of the NPCs themselves.

Just to expand briefly about what I meant when I said the developers took a "unique slant", I am talking mostly about the Le Petit Prince and his quest, because that was not a story that came from the original source material. In fact, that was based off from an entirely unrelated story.

I do think Legends has given some attention to the area, by including map teleporters, and accepting a suggestion from before which provided a route for travel between Perion and the Sahel — and which becomes available once you complete the questline. I personally would not be opposed to seeing another direct route between Ariant and other areas, such as Ludibrium — specifically the Helios Tower library — because I think two quests require for you to travel to meet with Wiz the Librarian, who is there. I am thinking, like what had been introduced as a reward for completing the previous storyline, about the possibility of a storybook that could be available from somewhere within the library itself; one that could allow you to travel to Ariant from Ludibrium, and with Karcasa being able to take you back to Ludibrium, once the books have been returned.

And this is more of an aside like the previous point, but because Ariant was introduced to KMS in 2007 — with 2007 being also the year where NLC was introduced to GMS — seeing the unused Yeti statue in NLC and what was intended to be done with it, from reading the notes of the creative developer who worked at the time for GMS — Pharaoh's Gate — it did seem, in my view — although it could also purely be a coincidence — to have been thought of as something that could have done to expand upon the significance of Ariant and its place in the game. The point, really, though, is to say that Ariant did seem to have more planned out for it, seeing, for example, the unused tent in "Tent of the Entertainers", which could have, as you have said, taken into account the points you have mentioned such as being able to find another "secret map" to enter to do for a quest.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    I have not done anything particularly substantial lately because, unfortunately, life does get in the way at times. I will say, though, that I had thought about the 999 quests again recently. I also wanted to touch a little bit on Mr. Sandman as well as something else that had been sitting on my mind for a good while, which you can read about at here if you are curious.

16. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    7:53 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    the idea to link all 10/60/100s is already big powercreep but to have one type of currency arbitrate around all 10/60/100s would mask players from engaging in price discovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    Yes, I understand that concern. I didn't think much through it before I posted it, because all I had wanted to do at the time was somehow link the idea of Manekineko with the idea of Wish Tickets. Any rewards can remain open to discussion; maybe something else could be done instead that is less impactful. I appreciate your comment, though.

• Friendly Friendly x 2