1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information [Winners Announcement] Maplemas Tree Decorating Contest!

Discussion in 'Events' started by Ariami, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Ariami

Ariami Game Moderator Staff Member Game Moderator

Aug 26, 2020
    Female
    6:34 AM
    Ariami
    Winners Announcement
    Maplemas Tree Decorating Contest!

[​IMG]

The time has come to announce the winners of our most recent Community Event!

Our Staff wants to thank each and every one of our participants for their submissions! Each tree showed a lot of thought, care, and most importantly fun put into their designs.

We would like to congratulate all of our participants and their astounding levels of creativity! Our Staff hopes you all enjoyed this Community Event as much as we did judging it.

[​IMG]

Without further ado, please help us in congratulating our Community Event Winners!
    :sack: 1st Place
    Team kyhkyh
    • kyhkyh / ChillyJoe, SonHeungxMin

:sack: 1st Place
    Team AmystAmyst
    • AmystAmyst | Amyst
    • BuccKutTay

:cash: 2nd Place

Team lv1crooklv1crook
    • lv1crooklv1crook | Lvl1Crook
    • tarandus
    • Taima
    • LawdHeComin

:coin: 3rd Place

Team GDLeeGDLee

The Team Captains will be contacted by a Staff Member with instructions on how to redeem prizes for their teammates and themselves

[​IMG]
    Event Prizes:
    • :sack: 1st Place Prize :sack:
      • 18K Donor Points
      • 8K Game Cash
      • Both Community Event Coupons (Hair and Face)
      • Exclusive Winter Deer Swing Chair
    • :cash: 2nd Place Prize :cash:
      • 13K Donor Points
      • 5.5K Game Cash
      • Choice of 1 Community Event Coupon (Hair or Face)
    • :coin: 3rd Place Prize :coin:
      • 8K Donor Points
      • 3K Game Cash
      • Choice of 1 Community Event Coupon (Hair or Face)
    [​IMG]

The list of hair and face styles available from the Community Event Coupons can be found in the beauty guide.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    • Disagree x 10
    • Great Work x 7
    • Friendly x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Respectfully,

When do we get to see the rubrics used judging community events? Not that they had no effort, but 1st place and 1st place dont even look like trees. Arcane got done dirty here.

• Agree Agree x 27
  3. OP
    OP
    Ariami

Aug 26, 2020
    Female
    Ariami
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to decorate a tree.

I will say that nowhere in the Community Event was it listed that the design had to look like classic/traditional holiday decor.

I cannot speak for all Staff opinions, but I for one was quite impressed with the winning designs for their themes, use of materials, and overall concept/idea.

4. OP
    OP
    Ariami

Aug 26, 2020
    Female
    Ariami
    I will also make this note now: This is not a place to be disrespectful.

We're all a community and these events are made to be fun. Be mindful what you say about each other and how those comments are perceived by the rest of the community.

Thank you SlimeAngel

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    3:34 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I think in the future, a great addition to community events is highlighting a little bit about what people enjoyed about the top submissions. When you say you were impressed by things like theme, material use, and overall concept/idea, I think it would be great to have a short post elaborating upon that.

When we have IRL awards ceremonies, awards are often presented by someone who introduces the winner, highlights their accomplishments/achievements, and helps the audience understand why their work was impressive. A very brief write-up of like 3-5 sentences accompanying each winner shouldn't be too much additional effort from staff and could help people see things in a different light.

"In second place, we have 'Mushrooms' presented by lv1crook, tarandus, Taima, and LawdHeComin! We really enjoyed the theme of 'mushroom' because it's relatable for every single ML player, and their use of materials highlights the wide variety of mushroom and mushroom-esque items that exist in our world. The overall idea brought a smile to my face because I love mushrooms myself! This entry encapsulated perfectly what I see in my mind's eye when I think to myself 'mushroom.'"

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  6. Miney

Miney Slime

Jun 2, 2021
    8:34 PM
    Miney
    Corsair
    Suppose we could use a better direction as to how submissions may be judged on for future community events.

Making an outsider's guess: the winners were chosen by how creative their base idea is more so than their presentation - in which case many submissions had no chance of winning before they even began decorating.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    • Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Ariami

Aug 26, 2020
    Female
    Ariami
    While the idea of adding anecdotes from every voting Staff Member is not something we can successfully implement, the idea of having a general, group anecdote is something we will consider for future events. Thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I think this is a great point. Because there's no criteria or elaboration, it's difficult for participants to know what they could have done better next time. Part of the fun in entering a competition is trying to do better next time around, even if things didn't go your way this time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. creative

creative Mr. Anchor

Nov 2, 2019
    Male
  10. OP
    OP
    Ariami

Aug 26, 2020
    Female
    Ariami
    I will say I intentionally left the parameters for the event as open as possible to encourage as much creativity and participation as possible.

Some people thought outside the box (or tree, I guess) and were appreciated for it. But if it's desired that it needs to be specified that you can do such, then we will specify such a notion for these future events. SlimeGrin

11. Wensleydale

Wensleydale Orange Mushroom

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    Congrats to the winners!

I don't think anyone is being disrespectful towards the winners or the staff. However, I do think most people agree that the voting system is incredibly flawed. Having discussion about the system in place could provide ways to make it better, such as providing a rubrik or elaboration on the selection process. I think that is the least that can be done when people are taking time out of their day to participate.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Asanagi

Asanagi Pink Teddy

Sep 16, 2022
    Female
    10:34 PM
    Asanagi
    Bowmaster
    Look out.png

• Like x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  13. SuperOrange

SuperOrange Blue Snail

Dec 22, 2023
    6:34 PM
    Will there be an honorable mention?

14. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    4:34 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    I assume not considering they gave 2 people 1st place for whatever reason

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Exterio

Exterio Blue Snail

Jan 27, 2024
    Male
    Exterio
    Beginner
    I'm so dam confused on how the submissions are judged. If you're talking about creativity and thinking outside of the box there were plenty of other submissions that met that criteria.

• Like Like x 1
  16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I just want to point out that these are two somewhat opposing ideals.

A competition that measures success through ranking of 'skill' - in this case, measured by the creativity of the submission - will almost always have a high barrier for entry as those more 'skilled' should naturally place higher than those less 'skilled'.

A competition that measures success through the maximization of participation will almost always need to have a low barrier for entry so that every contestant seemingly has a fair chance at winning. These types of competition are usually balanced through chance/RNG.

A mixture of both seems to imply there might be some underlying bias or conflicting motive for judgment which IMO goes directly against the spirit of fair competition.

I want to clarify I'm not trying to point any fingers. I thought the community event was fun and I was glad to see all the different things people submitted, but I hope we as participants of this event and community are allowed to offer feedback so we can improve the overall experience for the future.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:34 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    Congrats!!

Nationalism is back in vogue; I can’t wait to read through smegas in the coming days. ^___^

• Great Work Great Work x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Kargo

Kargo Skelegon

Mar 5, 2015
    Male
    Holland
    12:34 PM
    Kargo
    Shadower
    Flow
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  19. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Locking a top 3 chair behind a seemingly random chance is just a bad look. Removing the chairs from the community event rewards or better yet making them otherwise obtainable would prevent alot of grief.

imo

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    Thanks holding community event the trees looking great.

people just salty they didnt win lololol. git gut guys jfc.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1