1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Another potential way to move income generation from farming to bossing

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ainz, May 21, 2023.

1. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    9:57 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Greetings, fellow mushroom-whackers!

With the somewhat recent 'reveal' of multi-dk-farming strats and the more established multimaging or other multiclient farming strategies, I thought now would be as good a time as any to raise this suggestion.

Before I continue, I'd like to preface this thread by saying I don't believe this suggestion on its own will 'fix' the economy. I just hope to have an impact on two main 'problems':
    - Multiclient strategies enabling users to generate more income from gach than single-client strategies.
    - Partially as a result of the aforementioned point, bossing still feels lacking compared to farming, particularly from the perspective of weaker characters.

With that out of the way, let's get into the nitty-gritty.

In the current situation, the estimated value of a gachapon ticket is high. We've had estimates a fairly long while ago going up as high as 1.25m, which happened at a point where a variety of big-ticket items (bwg, ym, gfa30, cs/ws) were cheaper than they are now. Unless I'm overlooking impactful drops in prices in other items, this would indicate that the EV for a gach ticket as of now should comfortably top 1.5m.

Speaking purely from my own experience of tracking roughly 100 hours (and many more hours which weren't logged), farming on a single client will rarely net you more than ~6-8 gach per hour. Judging by the previously linked threads, it is apparent that multiclient strategies can comfortable generate higher numbers of gach tickets.
    While I do feel like multiclienting can be considered a sort of skill/dedication/commitment, and thus consider it fair for there being a (financial) benefit in doing so, I don't believe it's healthy for this gain to be got from gach tickets increasing the hourly income. The reason I don't consider this healthy is that it opens up strategies where players can simply maximise the number of low-level mobs they kill, which intuitively requires less investment in gear/levels than fighting stronger mobs.

My suggestion to resolve the aforementioned issues is twofold. Firstly, I suggest removing ws/cs from Common gachapon tickets. This alone would have a sizeable impact on their estimated value, reducing the edge multiclient strategies offer over their singleclient counterparts.
    A possible argument against this would be that it removes the situation where a new player is blessed with free 300m on their first month of playing. I'll refute this argument by saying that I don't consider it remotely necessary (or even desirable) for new players to be given such a huge and random wad of starter cash. If necessary, I'll happily elaborate further on this specific point, but I'll refrain to keep the thread (somewhat) readable.

Obviously, solely implementing this would result in a significant dent in the influx of cs/ws, which I don't consider desirable. That is where the second part of my suggestion comes in.
    I suggest making Rare gachapon tickets a more common boss-drop and removing it from the droptable of normal monsters.
    Having the two different types of gach tickets be linked to the same type of mobs seems impractical, as it somewhat ties up their reward pools. By separating them (Common gach tickets from mobs, rare gachapon tickets from bosses) I see a lot of potential to adjust their reward pools separately. This could then be used to alter the reward pools (and thus, the associated income) to further balance out income generation between bossing and farming.

Some hypothetical numbers (which are absolutely not based on any proper calculations) could resemble the following:
    Pap / Rav / Latanica: Drop 0-1 rare gach
    JC: Drop 0-2 rare gach
    Zak / Krex: Drop 2-4 rare gach
    HT / NT / NT2: Drop 3-6 rare gach
    PB / Auf: Drop 5-10 rare gach
    (Like I said, these numbers are entirely hypothetical, please don't bash me for my lack of awareness surrounding bosses)

Concluding, by removing cs/ws from Common gachapon tickets and making Rare gachapon tickets a boss-exclusive drop, I believe we can bridge the income disparity between (multiclient) farming and bossing. Additionally, by separating these tickets, we create the possibility to adjust reward pools independently and thus essentially create a way to scale bossing/farming profits independently.

Thanks for reading, I hope I managed to keep a somewhat coherent train of thought. Feel free to criticise or discuss down below.

Ainz

Last edited: May 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Creative Creative x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    3:57 AM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    It's extremely tiring as a casual player to see change after change, that ends up dwindling my personal game experience, in attempts to solve multi client issues.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    4:57 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    i think something like it can work!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    10:57 AM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    I do agree with this statement.
    As long as gach is able to produce P.coins through WS/CS pulls, farming will always have an edge over bossing. The issue with farming vs bossing is that if we compare the two, farming is able to do most things consistently whilst bossing cannot. We can compare the two by listing what each can provide:

Farming:
    • Meso production
    • Gach production (produces scrolls, equips and p. coins from CS/WS)
    • NX production (one of two methods, and this being the superior method)
    • Scroll production (almost all scrolls are able to be farmed directly from farming)
    • EXP (depending on map, the EXP can be good or mediocre)

Bossing:
    • Scroll production (a select few scrolls are directly droppable from bosses exclusively such as GFA30/GFMA30)
    • Mastery Books (one of the main reasons bosses are done as some books are exclusive to these bosses)
    • Endgame equipment (FS/Timeless/NT weapons are a big reason to keep running these bosses)
    • P. Coin Production
    • EXP (bossing provides good exp throughout all stages of the game)

Since we listed the two, we can compare why farming triumphs bossing 9/10 times. While farming, you are able to consistently produce an amount of gachapon, scrolls (if applicable), NX, EXP and meso which all progresses your character in possibly every way you'd imagine. It accelerates washing, gets you lvls, produce stuff to sell/use and make money to buy stuff from people. However with bossing, you waste an amount of time to maybe get coins, scrolls, or the big-ticket items such FS/MW20/MW30 etc. That's usually a feeling players don't like to experience as it feels that you spent a lot of time for a reward, but you ended up with air.

The fix to even out the disparity between farming's consistency and bossing's inconsistencies is to do what Ainz said in this suggestion, by removing CS/WS from gachapon and buffing bossing. Though I disagree with the rare gach being removed from mobs, I think a simpler and more practical solution is to increase the drop rates of pouches across the board along with their quantity. Another way is to create a floor of bosses that drop Mysterious Pouch 2/3/4 to have a guaranteed drop of Mysterious Pouches 1/2/3 as a guaranteed drop as well to increase the coin production of bossing as farming no longer produces coins.

Thank you for hearin me out, prob long block of unreadable text so I commend you for being able to read through it.

tl;dr make bossing the only method to obtain P. coins to give bossing a purpose over farming.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Flamous
    Bishop
    This is the only coin pumping I can get behind! I wouldn't mind having pouch coin values slightly buffed. Esp Pouch 5s current range is just acting as noob tax atm, shoutout -ovv-ovv

6. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    2:57 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    in the case coins are still obtainable via gach, it's better if coins (pouch 1-5) are given instead of the ws/cs to avoid deadweight loss

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Upon further consideration, scratch my suggestion. I want Hiyo's suggestion!

As a casual player, I strongly disagree with this sentiment. I'd happily give up something so small (early cs/ws) to then further benefit casual players.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    i was thinking the same, like event

9. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    12:57 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    If the majority of gach value is tied up in ws/cs, is making rare gacha drop from bosses not similar in effectiveness to just making more coins drop, with more RNG? You could effectively accomplish the same thing by increasing coin drop rate I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Yeah, that's what I also realised after Hiyo's comment, which is why I vouch for his idea instead of mine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    One thing that I thought was cool on another server was the "white scroll pieces" that I could get when I killed the expedition bosses, but I don't know how much that would conflict with the p coins

12. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    that's just a worse form of coins

• Like Like x 2
  13. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    yes, but I'm talking about having both simultaneously

14. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    you can, but it'll have no unique role on ML so it's probably going to be close to the effect of more coins

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    3:57 AM
    I think overall some cool ideas here. I think making p coins exclusive to bossing is a good idea to explore, though this would increase the price of p coins.

First, I would like to say that the introduction of p coins in bosses have greatly benefited casual players like me who only do bossing. It made bossing actually profitable, and therefore maplelegends worth playing casually.

I believe p coins induced inflation, because bossers were making meso/p coins at a greater rate than farmers making items/scrolls.

Therefore, I suggest instead of buffing p coin drop rate in bosses, what if we buff item/scroll drop rate from bosses? This would introduce more scrolls/items to the market, reducing inflation and allowing casual players to obtain early-mid game items more easily.

(While I'm wishing I'd also like PQ to drop better loot please.)

16. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    1:57 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Right because 300m is a "small" thing. I got a 4 att pgc around level 70-80 and the money I got from that paid for gear im still upgrading away from at 155. Stop nerfing the low level casuals just because we refuse to acknowledge that multi mage farming/mage meta is toxic to the economy.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    12:57 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The problem is that balance has revolved around the top-end production value rather than realistic standards. Presumably, this is out of fear of giving certain players unfettered access to production power - which is a valid concern. Personally, I think this is a dumb approach that only serves to keep the average player down -- any nerfs meant to target the top-end player will only affect the average/casual player while the intended targets have the flexibility and innovative wherewithal to transition into other modes of production.

Change impacts most those who are unwilling to make adjustments.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    1:57 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Couldnt agree more. Mentioned in the post that was locked it's very very easy for the top tier of players' nerfs to have a equally or larger impact on lower tier players through a trickle down effect.

19. Lucidcat

Lucidcat Mixed Golem

May 14, 2021
    4:57 PM
    best conclusion about the elite I've seen

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy