1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Change equips even while fighting

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by HotCow, Oct 9, 2023.

1. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    7:45 AM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    make it happen boss

2. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    1:45 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Not my call hehe, just my personal opinion as a mage main thinking it might make fights more interesting and diverse :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    4:45 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    If this gets implement it opens up the door to parry mechanics which I think is cool. Add a new boss that does a map wide attack that does 100k damage, reduced to 1 damage if you’re wearing a full set of pq trinkets (basically a bunch of equips that prevents you from attacking effectively if you keep them on the whole time) for that specific boss

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    High latency region players be in shambles

5. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Assuming the wind up is long enough even high ping should be able to react, especially if the attack is on a timer, similar to how high ping regions handle DR now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    This sounds like the most tedious and un-fun mechanic ever. Sorry Blenny, I usually love your suggestions but this feels to me like it's 100% tedious shitmechanic and 0% skill.
    Swapping gears can have a lot of merit, but my personal view of this would be e.g. mages swapping between bodies without suffering from (being unable to switch gears because) e.g. zak body spawn. Having to perform top level OSRS PVP gear switches to avoid an entirely non-nostalgic 1h.k.o skill just seems unpleasant and unnecessary. It fixes no problem.

7. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    How is it tedious? It's just a reactive input, similar to how Bishops will react to Seduce and press Holy Shield, isn't it?

8. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    I hope everyone has their inventories open to put on their hp equips when the bean looks to the left

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    Sure, but sed is an actual v62 (I believe it was implemented back then) mechanic. The mechanic you suggested sounds convoluted without solving any problem.

Besides, I know I might be one of a select few here, but I don't want the server to get too far removed from v62 gameplay. Hence, I'll mostly disagrees with changes that move the server away from 'muh nostalgia' unless it solves a problem.

10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Hm. I mean the "problem" that this would be targeting is that there's very few skill-based timing checks that players need to overcome in this game since the majority of skill just revolves around knowing where to stand and I've seen a lot of calls for parry-type mechanics. These kinds of timing checks also are horrific for single-machine multiclienting since it's virtually impossible to pass a well-designed parry check on multiple clients on a single computer without the aid of external scripts. So in theory it would be a positive for additional skill-based gameplay and a good anti-mule mechanic but I'm also ok leaving boss fights braindead and multiclient prone as well.

11. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    6:45 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    that already exists on the game if you hold down the red x on the top right side of your screen

source: i got my steelies swiped in a drop game on 2005

• Like Like x 2
  12. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    "...the majority of skill just revolves around knowing what class to make"

FTFY

I do believe that this game actively discourages players from pressing buttons due to things like long buff durations, attack macros, one main attack on most classes, and the entirety of pets' existence, and that gameplay could be made a bit healthier by acting on some of those. I don't think I could see active gear swapping as a gameplay mechanic as anything but jank, however.

• Like Like x 1
  13. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Depends how it’s implemented I think

14. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    people have been doing that in GMS for a long time already (well, except it's for doing more damage rather than surviving)

15. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    2:45 PM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    Krrr Ring is an i-frame, usually for classes with no i-frames or for extra survivability

16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    iframe parry sounds cool as fuck wtf why are people not interested in exploring this

17. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Old school MS is not built around being able to dodge attacks. In modern GMS bosses have instant kill attacks that can be evaded by, well, not being there when/where the attack is, and iframes also are not really like things you do on every attack ever (unless you're playing a Mihile I guess), but more like momentary get-out-of-jail-free cards for when you mess up dodging the patterns (or if you got a long enough iframe, you could use it to ensure that you can dump all your burst damage on the boss safely without distraction). None of those are an option in a v62 server simply because that's way beyond what the game is built to function.