1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mage islanders need a buff.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Spectree, Mar 3, 2024.

1. OP
    OP
    Spectree

Spectree Horny Mushroom

Jun 14, 2022
    5:28 PM
    Remove the "Suggestions" please, cuz you chose "the maplelegends when you made the choice". Any modification wouldn't be that one you chose anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Spectree

Spectree Horny Mushroom

Jun 14, 2022
    Hi, I just did a test. The cast speed of three snails doesn't seem to be tied to weapon speed. The results I got are:

Number of cast of three snails is 38 per 30 seconds with a fast (maplemas light) or faster (fruit knife) attack speed weapon,
    while it's 46 for the number of normal attack with the faster weapon.

I feel the cast speed of three snails lies in the "regular" class of magic attack in Nise's formula compilation ("https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/nises-formula-compilation.36234/").
    It's close to the "normal" attack speed whatever the weapon you're using.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. DrChuchu

DrChuchu Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Sep 21, 2020
    Male
    5:28 AM
    DrPikachu
    Night Lord
    Seems like the main gripe is the existence of a common class claw, which is locked behind event only. It might be more fair to just remove the common claw, though I imagine a lot of people would be visibly upset with that

4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    2:28 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    "This custom, self-imposed path that I chose, is irrelevant because other people are choosing a different custom, self-imposed path."

5. OP
    OP
    Spectree

Spectree Horny Mushroom

Jun 14, 2022
    Remove it would be unfair for those who have paid efforts on it. I would suggest to make them more accessible to all islanders, like put it in an optional reward in the quest unlocked at lv20 in the island. Unable to start a (odd-)job because you were not playing years ago doesn't sound right to me.

6. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    4:28 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    at this rate just put a copy of grendel the really old on maple island

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Spectree

Spectree Horny Mushroom

Jun 14, 2022
    Or maybe make both the claw and bow dropped from mobs in the island all-class as suggested by me one more year ago in https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...-gun-claw-usable-for-islander-beginner.46289/.

If there were no all-class claws at all, this suggestion could be considered unbalanced. Since the door has already been opened, I don't see a good reason not to further diversify it.

Actually, I always feel disappointed for the normal attack of claw and bow being a useless thing since those who can use them would rarely do that because they can use skills and mp isn't expensive.

8. OP
    OP
    Spectree

Spectree Horny Mushroom

Jun 14, 2022
    Buff three snails for high level mage islanders is also irrelevant for those who won't paly mage islanders.

9. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Why would you willingly choose to go a sub-optimal path if you're going to be upset later on that it's sub-optimal? You voluntarily chose this build didn't you?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    Spectree

Spectree Horny Mushroom

Jun 14, 2022
    As already said, I wasn't aware too much about the existense of the claw that's irrelevant. Yes, it's irrelevant, it shouldn't affect me. But why are those irrelevant to this buff be so opposed to this buff that wouldn't affect them?

11. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Why is the claw’s existence relevant to you? It doesn’t affect you.

12. OP
    OP
    Spectree

Spectree Horny Mushroom

Jun 14, 2022
    Why is the buff relevant to you? It doesn't affect you.

13. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    And yet the addition of the claw to the game, that doesn't affect you, is still the rationale behind you asking for a buff.

If everyone got what they asked for just because "it doesn't affect" someone else, this game would be an absolute disaster.

14. Taima

Taima Mushmom

May 23, 2021
    Female
    9:28 AM
    Taima
    Beginner
    Oddjobs
    I don't necessarily think a buff to Three Snails is needed, considering just Maple Island and no other game content. The skill has already received a buff that I personally dislike, by no longer requiring snail shells to cast. Removing the ammo for the skill has reduced just a tiny bit more of MapleStory's unique flavor into what's becoming a bland soup that's "for everyone" but ultimately a less satisfying experience, at least in my particular philosophy.

I'm not really for or against a Three Snails buff, since I'm no hardcore islander, but I still use the skill often enough to have thought about whether a buff would work or how it should be applied. A simple increase in damage is fine and functional. Scaling with INT is an even more interesting option, but I have weird feelings about heavily INTed mid-washing characters using the skill to progress meaningfully through the game. They are just my feelings. I don't really care to rationalize them.

A small idea I'd pitch is perhaps buffing Three Snails' damage IF one has snail shells as ammo in their inventory. The default, no-shell Three Snails damage would remain its current default damage, and its buffed damage could perhaps be a multiplier. 5x damage, for a cap of 200 damage per red snail shell thrown? 10x damage, for a cap of 400 damage per red snail shell? This idea may or may not fall into the "too custom for ML" category, but I'd love for snail shells to actually have an effect on the skill again, while maintaining its current already-buffed status.

Sweet Fork Cake vs. Three Snails

The Sweet Fork Cake still has its own downsides that Three Snails does not. It performs a claw punch when you're within claw melee range of an enemy, which does much less damage than a star throw. You'll have to jump attack often to train effectively, so it's much more active as a training method (this matters a lot when EXP rates are slow). You generally have to use Subis, as Maple throwing-stars are a very rare and coveted item. You're unlikely to get those without extreme luck and island farming strategies during the anniversary or befriending an OG Islander who wants to loan you some stars.

The Sweet Fork Cake has an edge above Three Snails in its own way, as well. The claw starts out much weaker than Three Snails and requires getting to level 30 or higher until you really begin to slay pigs/orange mushrooms effectively... but the claw also has a higher power ceiling, since it scales primarily with LUK and secondarily with STR and DEX. Its damage is lower than what one can achieve with a STR build and melee weapon, but also safer and sometimes more consistent as it's a ranged attack.

Some island casuals think damage is meaningless on the island beyond just 1-hitting enemies, but damage means a LOT during those boss rush events (where you're defeating boss after boss on a timer, solo or with a party). You can even obtain normally unavailable items in the boss rush from monsters spawned by bosses.

While I'm generating more dumb forum noise with this post I should also mention that I'm pretty sure that Three Snails speed is unaffected by weapon speed. My Sweet Fork Cake's Fast (4) attacks seem faster than Three Snails while using a Fan at Faster (3) speed. I have a hard time finding the exact formulas for Three Snails, like its hit rate for example is unknown to me. Its speed can probably be found by digging through one of those Maple asset browsing websites, but I'm not going to bother with that now. :yay: Have some demonstrations instead!

Demonstrations

Range and Claw Punch Damage demonstrations had cider buff; Speed demonstrations were done clean

- RANGE

three_snails_max_range.png
    Three Snails max attack range
    sweet_fork_cake_unable_to_hit_at_three_snails_range.png
    Sweet Fork Cake, unable to hit at Three Snails' range
    sweet_fork_cake_max_range.png
    Sweet Fork Cake max attack range

- SPEED

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    (1) Three Snails w/ Fan; (2) Sweet Fork Cake star throw; (3) Sweet Fork Cake claw punch

I wasn't able to upload these, so they are self-hosted and may not load all at once. Sweet Fork Cake is definitely faster than Three Snails.

- CLAW PUNCH DAMAGE

sweet_fork_cake_claw_punch_damage.png
    Claw punch damage, noticeably lower than a star throw

Keep in mind that the damage shown isn't realistic for a LUK claw islander. The damage builds very, very slowly. My DEX and LUK islander is level 31 and can't 100% 1hit pigs/orange mushrooms yet, and gets swamped by enemies and tanked EXP rates if I start claw punching. It's not as easy as just picking up a claw and being better than a DEXlander or even a Magelander.

This is outside the scope of the thread, but I'd like to see the Sweet Fork Cake and Magical Mitten both added as permanent fixtures to Maple Island. Why not just put them into the Amherst or Southperry stores, so that islanders and odd builds that want to use them can purchase them? Magical Mitten hasn't been back in years (hasn't been available since I joined), and I'll bet Sweet Fork Cake isn't making a rotation again any time soon either. Would the players that are actually on drugs Maple Island dig that kind of change? :cigar:

Edit: Somewhat selfishly, I also suggest to put those two weapons into Lith Harbor's weapon store for those that missed them, or to make the Sweet Fork Cake always purchasable with event points during anniversary, and Magical Mitten always purchasable with points during winter events.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    • Great Work Great Work x 8
  15. OP
    OP
    Spectree

Spectree Horny Mushroom

Jun 14, 2022
    So it does affect you because it would triger further acceptances of suggestions that could really affect you. I personally dislike this type of objection with a very general reason that could apply to tons of other suggestions.

And the claw did affect me if it were able to completely overpower the three snails, because it would invalidate the role of three snails as the only range, which was the reason I chose it.

But thanks to the explanation made in other posts, I see that they are not, at least not that much, because the claw has a much limited range.

16. OP
    OP
    Spectree

Spectree Horny Mushroom

Jun 14, 2022
    Thank you! This is an excellent post. I would like to add some comments.

I dislike it either in the role of a non-islander. As I said in another post: "The life before 1st job is a very nostalgic thing to me, and it was already short. I don't feel it a good thing that reduced it even more".
    I wouldn't hate not having that buff even in the role of an islander, because I wouldn't choose to pay a lot of effort in a mage islander at the very beginning.

I like this suggestion though it may not be easy to implement.

This is a good point.

Thanks for this demonstration.

I also tested, I think the cast speed of the three snails seems to be the same with a general magic attack, and is similar to a weapon with a "normal" attack speed.

It isn't that bad. The claw has a fast attack speed. My dex islander could 1hit orange mushrooms at lv31 only with a slow weapon, and I still can't 1hit them at lv38 with a fast weapon.

I suppose you would need a close level to 1hit mobs with an equal attack speed weapon.

I like this too. Maybe put it in the quest unlocked at lv20, because that quest has been more or less dead for most islanders.

Agree!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    7:28 PM
    I have personally always regarded Three Snails as a "tutorial skill", the primary purpose being to show new characters how it is that they could use their MP to deal damage to mobs.

Although, you observe that the damage of Three Snails does not match with the HP of the corresponding monsters themselves. That is, a Snail has 8 HP, yet Three Snails [1] deals 10 damage; Blue Snail has 15 HP, yet Three Snails [2] deals 25 damage; and that the pattern breaks at Three Snails [3] where the damage exactly matches the HP of the corresponding monster — Red Snail — and that by following the general pattern the damage should be set to be higher than what it is.

Just to be clear, I am not hinting at whether Three Snails should be changed or whether it actually "needs a buff"; I was only trying to get over what I wrote above across.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Munk7

Munk7 Orange Mushroom

Feb 15, 2024
    Male
    4:28 AM
    Page, Cleric, Thief
    I wouldn't mind if 3 snails used snail shells, if it didn't cost MP. I have way too many snail shells in the early game, and not enough MP. Maybe even let it toss Mano shells for super damage. If not, whatever. It's a fine beginner skill as is. I use it frequently.

If it's accuracy and damage scales with INT, then it needs to do trash damage to start, and it should always sit below the minimum damage for 1st level jobs. I really don't want to be snail shelling all the way to 2nd job.

Example:
    Lvl 1 DMG=INT+10
    Lvl 2 DMG=INT+20
    LVL 3 DMG=INT+30
    Mano shell DMG=INT+500(Or whatever)
    Option 2: Mano shell turns enemy into snail.

So even if an islander goes pure INT, snail shell will be doing decent damage for islanders at high levels, but still trash for everyone else, unless you have a Mano shell, and those aren't worth farming.

As Redwop said, it's a tutorial skill. It doesn't need a buff. I find it to be overpowered on low levels. I can insta-kill enemies from a distance, and I can kill higher level enemies across gaps. Once snail shell starts missing, then it's put on the shelf to collect dust for the rest of the game.

Even if it doesn't get changed(and it probably won't), it's fine as is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1