1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Map owner abuse?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EggplantMan, Jun 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. EggplantMan

EggplantMan Snail

May 3, 2020
    Male
    5:53 PM
    Beginner
    This isn't a guild or a pack of mules hoarding maps across channels, a bit less serious. Is it fair if someone holds a map by using a skill once every few minutes to keep ownership.
    I was trying to leech my friend but every channel was full. I found one channel with people afk and nobody was killing mobs. I started killing mobs and the map owner asked me to stop since he was the map owner. I said I just want to kill while he's afk but I won't steal the map. He did not want that so I stopped. He proceeded to cast a spell once every minute or so to hold map owner, for about 30 minutes since he was eating.
    I did not want to risk getting banned since I'm unfamiliar with the ban/appeal rate but this does not seem fair. There are people who want to play the game and there is someone abusing a policy so they can eat and relax without the fear of someone stealing their map.
    What do you all think?

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    2:53 PM
    I second this.

Should just revamp @mapowner into @mapblock, so that in cases like this people can and won't have to spam reports because of mapownership, the use of @mapblock would be @mapblock (username) for 5 mins. that command would give the blocked user 5 mins of weapon cancel and magic cancel debuff on the entire map. After the 5 mins are up or that player leaves/disconnects or goes to the FM or cash shop that map would refresh. can't complain to a GM if a said player can't kill a monster and only does 1 damage everytime.

3. Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    A very similar thing happened to me where an afk guy held a map and I started killing mobs and he said "cc," I said "you're afk (he was not using the map in anyway, just holding it)," he said "no," and "check mapowner," and I said whatever and left; I didn't bother contesting for a different channel I just moved on to a different part of the quest for 20 mins or so, came back through the map again, he's afk still just holding the map...really bothers me that you have to respect that or you're in the wrong :(

4. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    R.I.P Taroumaru for protecting his map :(

5. MGTOWMONEY

MGTOWMONEY Orange Mushroom

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    4:53 PM
    MGTOW
    Warrior
    I think they should add a random end timer to mapowner. Like the mapowner can lose ownership at a random time between 3 to 5 minutes if he doesn't attack. It makes being afk and holding maps for long times harder to do.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. nubsauce

nubsauce Blue Snail

Nov 13, 2020
    Male
    Just had the same thing happen to me today. Still an issue in 2021 lol

7. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    This happens at 5-6 all the time with a few players holding maps for over 3 hours at a time without using them. I submitted a report once on the forums in the hopes of getting GMs to just ask the guy to stop doing it, but they told me it is not a violation of the rules so it is perfectly okay to be doing this. If you can’t beat them join them I guess.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. SapphireJ

SapphireJ Dark Stone Golem

Aug 30, 2017
    Male
    5:53 AM
    HarmonyMagic
    Beginner
    Agape
    Personally, this is not an abuse of policy because this is how Map Owner system works and it's specified in the Terms and Conditions.

Once mapowner is obtained, a player has the rights to:
    - Kill monsters in the map themselves, or assign others the right to do so.
    - Loot drops in the map themselves, or assign others the right to do so (such as those invited into party).
    - Ask a player to leave the map IF deemed to be interfering to the gameplay of the mapowner and by extension, the mapowner's party. Interference includes the following but not limited to: kill stealing, looting drops, preventing other members from entering the map (applicable to member-capped maps, such as Manon), and affecting mob behavior or aggro (most notably AFKing at Windraiders in a place that pulls mobs away from the leecher).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tobenism

Tobenism Slime

Dec 25, 2020
    Male
    4:53 AM
    ◕`ω´◕
    @mapowner bs is working as intended ic

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. iccqqq

iccqqq Dark Stone Golem

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    12:53 AM
    Hero
    this mapowner business kinda stinks.
    fighting for maps and ksing was an essential feature of maplestory :troll::troll:

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    It's not an essential feature of MapleLegends and I prefer it that way.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    6:53 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Honestly I miss the days of KS war I had in my childhood days.... Still prefer current ML ownership system but I wont deny I miss my junky good ol days

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    11:53 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Mapowner has flaws, sure. However, the alternative is a vicious cycle of KSing, defaming, nameshaming, yada yada yada.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. iccqqq

iccqqq Dark Stone Golem

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    12:53 AM
    Hero
    you can disagree with me all you want but you know its true ;););):kiss:

15. asdfjkliang

asdfjkliang Selkie Jr.

Jul 10, 2017
    Male
    Mirage
    Hero
    Influence
    While we’re at it, can we make selling a map a bannable offense?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Michael Xu

Michael Xu Red Snail

Apr 22, 2020
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bandit
    If you want the GMs to do something about this, you gotta keep holding & selling maps. Ruin the experience for everyone but at the same time comply to the server's rules. Then the staff will finally realize it's a problem and make a change. kek

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. SernieBnders

SernieBnders Snail

Jan 29, 2021
    Male
    SerneBanders
    Beginner
    I have been playing MapleLegends for just under two weeks now and I have also noticed an issue with map ownership. In addition to people going AFK only to attack every few minutes to hold onto a map, I have noticed the amount of bishops and other mages unilaterally dominating maps that contain monsters that are as little as a quarter of the level of said mages. I get that they are offering their service of selling leech, but this forces newer players who cannot afford to buy leeching services to train at less efficient maps.

So In addition to tightening the limit on @mapowner, I think there should be a limit to the level of players that can hold maps. A guild Member of mine called this game, seemingly appropriately, "LeechLegends," as bishops selling leeching services for money dominate this game. Players, both new and old, make bishops for the soul purpose of selling leeching services as soon as they make it to 4th job.

I have never bought leeching services as I do not have the in-game financial means to do so, but I cannot possibly see how the service itself is not saturated since it seems like literally everyone is making a bishop in addition to the juxtaposition of the insane amount of sellers advertising via super megaphone vs the sellers. Will this game continue to be "LeechLegends?" I sure hope not. lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. SapphireJ

SapphireJ Dark Stone Golem

Aug 30, 2017
    Male
    5:53 AM
    HarmonyMagic
    Beginner
    Agape
    It's called diversify. Training in MapleStory doesn't mean the end just because a favorite spot gets taken.

What sort of limit? Do specify further. Also, selling leech is going to be pretty much your money maker unless you can find alternatives.

Just because a leech market is saturated, does not mean that it's a leech 2 win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    I'm back because I have a few suggestions for map ownership revamps that may be better off in another thread but the ToS portion confuses me a bit so I thought I might ask, if someone uses mapowner soley to hold a map, can someone else mobbing be deemed "interfering to gameplay" as the rule implies? As far as the rules are concerned, that wouldn't be KSing in any way unless it's a long respawn timer enemy like bosses (if that's the holding reason) since the intent of the player is "holding." It wouldn't occur to be abuse of any of the other mentioned interferences to me either.

I'm not an advocate of KSing btw... I'm tired of as I become a higher level over time, I feel more interactions with other players feel strictly like business. Like my earlier comment, it's amazing how some people wouldn't permit use of the map in the downtime they are not using it but I believe that's mainly due to the way mapowner functions and not on the players themselves, since if they allowed a player to mob they would lose ownership if they didn't participate every 5 mins. It'd also be nice to have that grey-area question cleared up since I'm brainstorming mapowner revisions, the most simple being designate channel 1 to a non-mapowner channel, since the mentality of channel 1 generally is max player interaction.