1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Please fix the steal skill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cowsgomeow, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Cowsgomeow

Cowsgomeow King Slime

Jan 16, 2022
    12:56 AM
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/buff-the-bandit-skill-steal.12217/

Hello, I've seen a thread 4 years ago that discusses the same problem with the Bandit's Steal skill. Right now, mesos counts as an item so the only item you're pretty much stealing are mesos. I've spent up to 5-10 minutes punching a cloud foxtail with a level 10 claw to make sure I am not just unlucky. It really just drops mesos only. Edit: Not that it just drops mesos, it can also drop items too, but 99% of the time it will drop mesos, and since mesos are counted as an item, that's the only thing that will ever be dropping. If your Steal procced and the monster drops mesos, that's the only thing it'll drop and further Steal procs won't do anything else. Mesos are not items, you can't interact with mesos like you do with items. Hence, they're mesos and should not count as items!

In that old thread, the consensus is that Steal should not be fixed because it'll break the game and Shadowers are already balanced as is. But I don't care about the damage or the mob or the stun or whatever. I just want the skill to work as intended... there's no way it'll break the game when we have literal mules created for the sole purpose of camping at the entrance of FM just casting only one skill... hyperbody, sharp eyes, speed infusion, etc. They're all literally camping in the portal entrance of the FM. That's how overpowered those other skills are. There's no way fixing the Steal skill will upheave the entire balance of the game and make everyone want to build a Bandit and not play any of the other classes.

It just sucks that I wasted points into this skill and that I probably have to delete this character. In the old thread, another argument is that all classes have useless skills so it's fine, but this skill doesn't even work as intended. It's entirely misleading!

I'm just a bit upset that this issue hasn't been resolved since the 4 years it was brought up. At this point, I don't think it's a bug but a deliberate design decision by the staff at Maple Legends. So I ask... why?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    9:56 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Steal is working as intended and can be used to steal equips and stuff, not just mesos or etc. Sure it's useless in most scenarios but what exactly would you want to change here?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Cowsgomeow

Cowsgomeow King Slime

Jan 16, 2022
    It doesn't drop items... that's the problem. Once it drops mesos, it won't drop anything else. Mesos shouldn't count as items, they're mesos! It's entirely misleading.

The previous thread mentioned about this problem. I mentioned it in my thread. Please test it for yourself if you have a bandit, or at least read the previous thread. It's not just me.

4. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    The way you'd use the skill now would be to steal until you get a drop (either mesos or anything else) then kill the mob and repeat. Like I said right now it's useless in most scenarios except for some niche PQ shenanigans etc (yes I maxed out steal and used it for more than 5-10 mins).

You could remove mesos from the possible drops but idk if that would be a good idea.

5. Holp

Holp Master Chronos Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    5:56 PM
    kKayo
    Shadower
    Toot
    Seems to be working :sleep:

Claw was mentioned but it also seems to be working

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  6. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    I’m pretty sure someone had already proven there was no significant improvement to drops from using steal so in its current state is really is just completely useless. Definitely needs a rework of some kind, whether it be multi targeting, CC ability like stun, range buff, attack buff, proc rate buff, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...e-bandit-skill-steal.12217/page-2#post-141254

8. OP
    OP
    Cowsgomeow

Cowsgomeow King Slime

Jan 16, 2022
    I'm not saying it doesn't drop items, I'm saying you're going to get mesos 99% of the time and when you do, it won't drop anything else. That's the problem. I am not sure why half the posts here including yours are not understanding that or deliberately reading over that, I literally stated the problem in the topic. I already said this 3 times already throughout the thread. I would really appreciate if someone just really took the time to hear my complaint before trying to prove me wrong. You even read the claw part, which I appreciate, so it really irks me that many posters here are not understanding the true issue here. Please look at the topic as a whole picture, not picking out the individual sentences.

Mesos shouldn't count as items, they are mesos. It's misleading, so either reword the skill description or remove mesos from the droploot. Items take up inventory space, mesos do not. You can sell items. You can't sell mesos. You can equip items, but not mesos. You can use items, not mesos. You can scroll items, not mesos. Why is that distinction lost upon many of you, and to the previous posters in the old thread? That is why mesos are not items and shouldn't be counted as such. I linked the old thread because I'm not the only one upset about this.

Here is the current description for Steal:

"Steals one of the monster's items with a given success rate. It works only once against the same monster. The effort can be continued till its success."

Everyone, do you finally see the problem here? Am I finally being clear about what the issue is?

You showed gifs of them dropping items, but how many monsters and tries did you do before you recorded the clip? That, I would like to know. I am sure it took more than a dozen tries at least, and that is why Steal is not just useless, it's deliberately misleading and is why I feel like I wasted so much time trying to build this bandit for this skill. I know I am not the only one taking an issue with this.

Edit: I read my topic post and I can see how people misinterpreted it. I added an edit to my topic to be more clear. I'm sorry for being an ass, everyone. I appreciate everybody here taking the time to post on this thread.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Are you sure about that?

• Creative Creative x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Cowsgomeow

Cowsgomeow King Slime

Jan 16, 2022
    What are you saying? Go NPC it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Cowsgomeow

Cowsgomeow King Slime

Jan 16, 2022
    Yes, you are the only poster in this thread who understands what I am trying to say. Thank you, I really appreciate it. I do not think removing mesos from the possble drop pool would break the game. There are already a handful of other skills so powerful that players spent weeks or months creating a character for... you can see them camping in the entrance of the FM with the names [nameHB] or [nameSI] or [nameHS]. I don't think even half of these players actually enjoy playing a DK, or a bishop, or a buccaneer, or a bowmaster. It's all for that 1 skill alone. So fixing Steal should hardly break the game, if at all.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    It's a lame joke, don't worry about it.

As for your suggestion if you were to remove the 1 drop per mob limit and remove mesos from the possible loot it will quickly become abusable for certain etcs. Since it will then mostly drop those you could go to a miner zombie or a kargo or a leprechaun or w.e and punch them out for however many etc you can get until they perish.

I'm all for making useless skills more useful but this ain't it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Cowsgomeow

Cowsgomeow King Slime

Jan 16, 2022
    No, just simply removing mesos from the drop pool is fine. No need to remove the 1 drop limit. Although I can understand how it can be abused for certain monsters with limited drop pools. I always assumed Steal is the equivalent of killing a monster and grabbing its loot, but the difference being leaving the monster alive. So for your case of Miner Zombie, a Steal is the equivalent of killing it. It may not drop the golden tooth, even if the Steal procs successfully, but you can Steal again until it does drop, or the monster dies.

• Like Like x 1
  14. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    3:56 AM
    iPippy
    Such a change would also be quite useless though. I'm pretty sure a successful stolen item removes it from the drop pool when it is finally killed. So if those drakes were killed, they would not even drop a 2nd skull. Which brings the question: why use steal in the first place? At max its an attack that does as much damage as a regular attack, with the range of a regular attack, with the speed of a regular attack, all to get a chance for an item drop without having to actually the monster. Or you know, you could just kill the monster with any other move and get exp as well.

If steal is to be useful, this means it has to be in a situation that the player does not want to or cant kill the mobs. Steal and then kill provides zero benefit to a player over just stealing or just killing, so there's no reason to kill a mob that's been stolen from... right? Well, actually killing the mob has the chance for multiple things to drop (item, and money, and scroll for example), so somebody looking for items will have better luck just killing. Mobs stolen from once can't be stolen from again, so there's a hard limit of how many "drops" our stealing pacifist gets before all the drakes have been stolen from and have to be killed to spawn new ones. So again... why not just kill them?

Steal is a skill that on paper sounds very thematic (they are bandits). It's not detrimental to your character to invest in like final attack, but it is a trap of a skill. And it's not even fun to use when you realize it's strictly worse than regular attack for its first 29 points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    Cowsgomeow

Cowsgomeow King Slime

Jan 16, 2022
    You made great points and raised a great question. I get you, it's totally understandable that the change won't make a big impact, but I won't say it's useless. I don't think Steal will ever be as good as an archmage or bishop clearing the entire map, and I don't think it should be. You are right, I also have heard too that it does remove the stolen item from the drop pool as you say, so it brings the question you mentioned: why not just kill the monster instead?

With this change, it'll introduce niche utility purposes, which I think will make the skill balanced and healthy compared to the obvious HB/HS/SI skills that define Maple Legends. It won't be a skill that is mandatory for all players if they want to play end-game. It'll encourage exploring the world and trying the ability on different monsters and go treasure hunting. Ideally the most times you use the skill you'll just be picking up the monster's common ETC items. But think of it this way, a Steal skill is the equivalent of killing the monster, without killing it. So if you don't get a drop that you like, you get another chance by killing the monster. Essentially, it's a slow and mediocre 2x drop, but still 2x, if you're only looking for one particular item. And because the loot table has decreased by 1, your chances to get the item you want slightly increases when you do kill it. Alternatively, if the monster is still alive and Steal has procced, but nothing drops, you get an almost infinite number of chances until something does drop or the monster dies. Overall, this is really good for, again, niche cases like getting newspaper hats from cloud foxes or pig heads from pigs. That map with the cloud foxes is huge and the enemies are spread out, so you'll be doing a lot of traveling. On the other side, every map with pigs is also filled with ribbon pigs, and ribbon pigs do not drop those pig heads. So hunting for pigs and their heads is a challenge. The Steal ability will work very well in these 2 situations. Even though it's a low chance to get the newspaper hat or pig head, getting those extra chances really adds up over time. You will still have to kill many monsters before you can find your desired item, but the ability will make the bandits stand out compared to the rest of the classes. It won't be replacing any other classes' damage or mobbing skills anytime soon, and it shouldn't. At the very least, it's fun to use and not totally useless and misleading as it is in its current state. Since you shouldn't use this skill for everything, it'll force players to be creative with its uses and that's what I really love about this proposed fix.

16. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    The characters that you're mentioning are Skill Mules used for bossing, Meso farming, Selling leech.

Being unlucky isn't a bug, nothing about is broken Bandits are basically purging items. Mesos are deemed as items so in what standards does Steal need to be "fixed" if it wasn't broken to begin with?

17. OP
    OP
    Cowsgomeow

Cowsgomeow King Slime

Jan 16, 2022
    Because mesos aren't items. And stop parroting the "being unlucky isn't a bug", it's not about luck.

And yes, I think it's totally broken that people create characters for just 1 skill. So fixing the Steal skill so that it can be at least usable should have been done 4 years ago and will NOT break the game in the slightest. There is no reason why it should not be fixed. Go add some points into Steal if you really think Steal is fine as is.

18. Holp

Holp Master Chronos Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    5:56 PM
    kKayo
    Shadower
    Toot
    First clip I would say around 20-30 drakes, but was 1-2 shotting them so couldn't re-attempt on the same one multiple times.
    Second clip was the second or third drake.

This is with level 1 steal though. :sleep:

19. OP
    OP
    Cowsgomeow

Cowsgomeow King Slime

Jan 16, 2022
    Oh that's actually not bad for level 1 steal. For first clip that's still a lot of drakes though

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    Moderator Post
    Technically speaking, for the server, mesos are actually items. They're just handled differently. I guess the skill description can be misleading.

The skill itself was originally supposed to have a chance to steal mesos.
    Please note that this is the revamped version of Steal, the one the original thread was suggesting to upgrade to.

Our current version of Steal is not bugged, it is working as intended: one successful steal per monster, the stolen item can then no longer be dropped upon monster kill.
    Even once reworked, the steal mechanic does not change; only changes are the multitarget and the stun.

To clarify, are you suggesting that we upgrade Steal to its second version? Or are you suggesting further improvements to it?

• Agree Agree x 1