1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Poison in neo tokyo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tillimdead, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Fraiche

Fraiche Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2017
    Straya
    1:20 PM
    Monobrow, Sheathe, Kasie, Fraiche
    F/P Arch Mage
    Uchiha
    You seem to be under the impression that GMs give a shit about FPs

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. emoimo

emoimo King Slime

Jul 20, 2017
    8:20 PM
    F/P Arch Mage
    In response to what Hiyo said, Not sure if troll but F/Ps generally only put a single point into Elemental Composition.

Regarding using Fire Demon to change the elemental weaknesses of monsters, I have tested on some spooky ghosts.

Fire Demon: After using Fire Demon on them, I can hit Himes with Paralyze as well as the initial hit of Poison Mist. Himes are unable to receive the poison status effect.
    Elquines: After being hit by Elquines, Himes are still immune to Paralyze and other poisons.

Using Fire Demon as a support skill in order to make Paralyze use-able seems viable!

As for using Fire Demon as a damage skill, I don't plan to have Fire Demon maxed until level 160. I know that isn't very high level for more hardcore players, but for new or casual players, it's a significant hurdle.

So in the case that I need to use a fire-based spell, I'll probably be using Fire Arrow for another 20 levels. (Meteor is not always practical and Explosion's cast time is like 8934 years). As a 4th job fire/poison mage, using a 2nd job skill as my main source of damage on anything feels pretty bad. Also, Fire Demon is not very good.

Fire Arrow:
    Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 3.02.37 PM.png
    Fire Demon:
    Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 3.02.51 PM.png

I like the existence of mobs that are thematically immune to poison, and poison status debuff on bosses would be OP for obvious reasons. But there are really an annoyingly large amount of creatures that are immune to poison entirely (green mushrooms, Balrog, Targa, the big purple toad, etc.). In addition, not many monsters are weak to poison with the only ones of note being Griffey and Aufheben, I think.

I don't really mind my class being garbage because I honestly chose to make an F/P on GMS because I wanted to play a rare class. But I do think that the class is bad, and people have a right to complain.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    9:20 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    A little confused here... are the mobs in Neo Tokyo just immune to the poison status, or are they immune to the poison element entirely? And are we talking about mobs, or the bosses?

If poison element still hurts them, then paralyze is your best bossing, single-target skill. If they are strong or immune to poison, then your DPS gets reduced a lot, but fire demon is still better than fire arrow. I use fire demon over explosion all the time. #1, don't have explosion, #2, it's a lot faster and stronger. Only downside is it doesn't reach up above or down below so much, but sometimes the directional focus of fire demon and its speed makes it quite superior.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  4. Kruzynn

Kruzynn Slime

Nov 24, 2017
    Male
    4:20 AM
    Kruzynn
    Priest
    we can use pokemon type weakness logic to decide this. The robots in Neo tokyo are steel type and therefore are immune to poison attacks. Steel types are also weak to fire(fire blast/flamethrower). however currently in maplelegends the robots do not take extra damage from fire attacks.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. emoimo

emoimo King Slime

Jul 20, 2017
    F/P Arch Mage
    Scrolling through here, https://lib.maplelegends.com/?p=monster&c=802, most of the mobs are listed as "Immune against: Poison", which would mean that they can't be damaged by Paralyze. I haven't personally gone over there to try it out, but generally this is what it means for all other monsters I have encountered.

In addition, as Tilli mentioned in his original post, many of the bosses are immune to Poison as well. I just checked and the only bosses that aren't immune to Poison are Nameless Magic Monster and Aufheben. Everything else is immune: Nibelung, the guard things, Vergamot, Dunas, etc. Again, they're mostly robots, so maybe Neckson was trying to make a point that robots can't be poisoned. I don't know about Dunas.

And I think I saw someone mention earlier or in another thread that the only Poison-type instant hits are Paralyze and the initial hit of Poison Mist. Bosses are already immune to the poison DoT, so the only thing Poison immunity does is make F/P sad.

In response to Kruzynn, maybe they're super magical robots that can't be melted. :(

6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Ah that is too bad. Poison immunity sucks, but there's still some work arounds. If they're not bosses, they can still be sealed and slowed. Start by hitting them with fire demon. Now they are vulnerable to ice attacks, so another AM buddy could hit them with ice attacks, plus your summon. Then, there's also the fact that fire demon will remove the immunity to poison damage, so after the initial hit, paralyze should drop them pretty quickly. Though if there are 2 or more mobs, just spamming fire demon would be more dps anyway.

Yeah I admit it's slower and more tedius than say... just standing in one spot and spamming meteor, but I've always felt that tactic was boring.

7. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    It's pretty garbage that they can't take damage from poison at all. That doesn't seem fair.

8. LeeDragon

LeeDragon Orange Mushroom

Dec 11, 2016
    Male
    11:20 AM
    LeeDragon
    Dark Knight
    Try using the Big Bang skill. Last time when I play with my friend in Neo Tokyo(Maplesea), he using the Bishop and just use the Big Bang to kill all the way.

9. emoimo

emoimo King Slime

Jul 20, 2017
    F/P Arch Mage
    Thank you for the suggestion LeeDragon, but unfortunately I don't think F/P get Big Bang until like level 180 or something. Also, I haven't tested it, but considering the charge-up time on Big Bang, I don't think the DPS is any higher.

10. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    10:20 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    BB sucks LOL
    I'm bad at formatting but here is a ss of meteor damage on petris:
    upload_2018-12-4_22-58-39.png
    Big Bang with comparable stats
    upload_2018-12-4_23-0-4.png
    Paralyze with poison wand
    upload_2018-12-4_23-1-57.png
    Paralyze with fire wand

upload_2018-12-4_23-2-30.png

11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well at least big bang would cost 100 MP to cast, not like 6000. :p

But of course, if you're doing it poorly and getting hit a lot, the cost in HP and MP would still make casting meteor pale in comparison...

12. emoimo

emoimo King Slime

Jul 20, 2017
    F/P Arch Mage
    I think LeeDragon was offering Big Bang as an alternative to Paralyze or Fire Demon. Isaac was just comparing Big Bang to Meteor and Paralyze to show its poor damage, independent of cast time or mana cost.

I think it's obvious that Paralyze is usually going to be your spell of choice for hitting single targets or whenever you don't feel like spending 11023529384 MP every minute, which brings us back to the original complaint: can't use Paralyze on anything in Neo Tokyo. MapleF4

13. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    10:20 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    Yeah I didn't have anything to anchor BB and Paralyze on so I anchored to values to something more well known (1 hit petris).
    It would be interesting if the cast time for BB can be lowered/eliminated to potentially have the same cast speed as Magic Claw/Fire Arrow. Given the same stats as above, Paralyze should do ~3m damage (the same) while BB would deal ~4.7m damage. Add in Elquines and mages/bishops can potentially be as strong as a washing attacker (^:

14. LeeDragon

Dec 11, 2016
    Male
    LeeDragon
    Dark Knight
    I not really know the damage for all the skill for arch mage. I just think that if the mob is strong again or immune to some elemental state, the damage will be reduce. If using the Big Bang, I think it will not affect by strong again or immune to elemental. That all I know for 4th job magician.( My Bishop friend just told me that when the mob is strong again holy then he use the Big Bang)

15. emoimo

emoimo King Slime

Jul 20, 2017
    F/P Arch Mage
    Yeah, I think Bishops would probably want to use Big Bang if something is strong against Holy. But F/P have fire and poison, so there is usually a better option than Big Bang.

16. LeeDragon

Dec 11, 2016
    Male
    LeeDragon
    Dark Knight
    Thank emoimo for the info MapleF2. I just suggest that there is a non elemental skill that mage can use since this discussion is mostly about the mob strong again fire or poison.MapleF2

• Friendly Friendly x 1