1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

remove multiclienting (spicy)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Snork, May 21, 2023.

1. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:42 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    You’re right; the last time I pq’d was in 2019. My view on the far reaches of earlygame is murky at best. However, I’ve done my share of pq while you likely haven’t crossed 4th job. What I’m trying to say is the further you get in game, the longer you stay, the easier things become, and the more you have to rely on incentives. While pq days may be cute, some sense of sorting does occur further down the line and the inequities of the game will become obvious.

Osslock is a great way to escape all this

• Great Work Great Work x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    3:42 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I think single clienting should be banned.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    6:42 AM
    I/L Wizard
    The point was this is *1 example* of things affected by multiclienting. If multiclient negatively affects X, Y, and Z, why is X, Y, and Z the issue and not multiclienting? I'm not here to paint the whole picture of every issue.

*Not quoting anymore* I think the 38 agrees are more like 38 ppl that don't mind it continues to exist but think the server would be more engaging without multiclienting (under the context of the OP just wanting to see the agree/disagree ratio). I'm in an oddjob alliance already but I don't think telling ppl to do exclusionary challenge runs so the effects of multiclienters don't pertain to you since you're restricting yourself is fruitful to people that don't want to do challenge runs and are affected. And on the NL thing I already said it but "I think you're missing the point of ppl just enjoying it and not doing it as an obligatory grind."

You basically repeated yourself but added this credibility check x.x

4. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    ah yeah bc the benefits to multiclienting pq (excl. cwkpq) is pretty minimal. the logic you referenced above is similar to this thread because the same bosses can be defeated with more people less time, or less people more time. often people make the tradeoff for more splits (less runners).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    I honestly think it’s way too late to do anything about multiclienting in this server/world. Any changes done now will have way stronger (not more) negative consequences than positive improvements imo. I believe that we can list out 1000 good reasons to why multiclienting should be removed, but at the end of the day. It’s not in the best interest of the developers/current player base to make this move.

why should we fk over our existing 1-1000 players just so we can potentially gain just a little more. What’s the risk involved? What’s the potential gain? How much will it cost the development team to make this change? Is single client proven the only best way to play the game? At this point in time, it’s a necessarily evil.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I don't think telling ppl to _______ so the effects of ___________ don't pertain to you since you're restricting ________ is fruitful to people that want to __________.

You can fill in the blanks with anything here and you'd have an opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    7:42 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I am big fan of ironies and this is one of the bests.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  8. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I don't mean any disrespect but you make it sound like multiclienters don't even enjoy playing the game. It sounds like you don't enjoy the game and want it to be done with as quickly as possible and with as little interaction with other players as possible. I genuinely don't get what is the end goal of this. You want to spend less time playing the game, why? Is it to rush to PB/NT levels?

9. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    7:42 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I understand his point, not even talking about min/max, but somehow progressing optimally helps those who are more casual,
    since you play more in less time

10. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    theorycrafting and observing others is more fun than actually playing the game imo

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  11. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Different ways of enjoying the game I guess.

12. Muffler

Muffler Red Snail

Oct 5, 2023
    As a new player who may not continue playing, but may consider playing for the hp challenges.

The solution to multiclienting really isn't to disable it like most people bring up here, that's a strawman. As Kimmy explained there's no good way to disable it.

The real problem is the party exp system, enabled hp/mp wash, very easy problems to fix and reprogram and people way, way overestimate the issues that come from disabling these things, you can always tweak the end-game such that it's still viable without washing. You can even look at how GMS dealt with these issues and yes, it's possible to take the good things GMS and combine it with the good things that old MS had. Maplelegends at its prime could have nerfed leeching and removed hp/mp wash but it did not.

Majority of power on this server comes from dedicated, existing players and those who've invested time into muling, multi-clienting, leeching, etc. all the efficiency stuff. They will want to protect their investment at all costs but the cost could be a gradually declining playerbase or one where you will just have the same people coming back and forth which is fine if that's the goal. In fact, I would bet that's already happened and this server is past the point of no return.

New players get tricked by the online count and come into this game often optimistically, perhaps looking for nostalgia then run into a significant learning curve, higher than old MS (and most of which isn't even part of the game itself) and have to either suffer through a lot of grinding to get to anything fun, or go down the efficiency path which requires a specific type of personality. Believe it or not many people actually just play games for fun and socializing and you've lost most of those players.

Multiclienting and voting helps give the appearance that the server is popular - high player count and top of the charts.

GMS targeted a lot of these problems and then made it worse again by introducing Legion/link skills, another way to waste time playing classes you don't want to just to boost your main. You find out that it's not feasible to progress as an individual class and you have to play A, B, C, D and G just to accumulate some power. They also committed other crimes like adding too many equip enhance systems, too much RNG to the game. Moreover, many people prefer the system and skills in old MS, personally I hate how crowded GMS is now with 5th/6th job, every class having map-wide abilities and no specialization, every item and aspect of the game being time-gated. PQs are also all unplayable given the insanely fast progression to 200.

There might be a portion of players who are stuck unable to join a popular private server or GMS, not to mention this might be the only server playable on mac which is a huge plus, credit given where it's due.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. Muffler

Muffler Red Snail

Oct 5, 2023
    Exactly what I said, it's really about protecting the existing playerbase, at the cost of losing new players. The HP challenges may help but the system is already quite rigged at this point.

Several years it go I would have called this the sunkey cost fallacy and say it's not too late, but now maybe it is too late. Create a private server too good and you also risk clashing with GMS, so maybe this is the best we are going to get.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Headless Horseman

Mar 13, 2023
    4:42 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    I laughed way too hard at this. Gj Blen