1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Fashion Mage

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Journeys' started by Luu, May 18, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    8:05 AM
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    With another day, Luu came to a realization- if he so chose, he could start HP washing now until his INT reaches his goal before he starts MP washing, and then once MP-washed enough transition into stale washing. At his current leveling rate, that shouldn't actually be impossible to accomplish. In the meantime, Luu was in Victoria Island with a now-much-stronger Thunder Bolt spell, so he decided to try it out on some of the foes that walled him before. First, those pesky armored pigs. Now, regarding the rules, Luu cannot enter a Hidden Street map if he has not attained the set for at least one monster in that area. However, this is specifically on entering the first hidden street map- he can transition between them just fine. The first Iron Hog card actually fell behind a statue; Luu didn't even see it until he picked it up. The rest, however, went far smoother:
    198.png
    While there Luu decided to take a shot at Mushmom. No dice on a spawn, and changing channel sends you all the way back to Henesys. Ah well. Luu decided to take a shot at Croco, then.

In the meantime though, his inventory was full. The haul:
    199.png

Meanwhile, turns out Crocos hurt. A lot. Luu managed to get a card out of one before calling it quits:
    200.png
    Seems for stuff that high a level, Luu is better off waiting until he has better equipment. Next up then, Iron Boars. Well, almost Iron Boars- Luu has to nab those Jr. Boogie cards first. The Land of Wild Boars seems to spawn quite a few at least. Luu eventually discovered the technique of changing channels to get more spawns. Eventually (as the channels available dwindled due to leeching/others doing the same) Luu nabbed his cards:
    201.png
    Finally, on to iron boars. They hurt, but not enough to deter Luu. He eventually attained the cards he needed:
    202.png
    Since he was already in Perion, Luu decided to move on to Skeledogs and Mummydogs. Along the way he spotted an unexpected confluence of the fame mules:
    203.png
    He left this spectacle of nature undisturbed, afraid at potentially disrupting what was underway.

Anyway, he managed to net a good chunk of cards:
    204.png
    But then his inventory filled, and he had to return. The haul:
    205.png
    After that, he nabbed the last remaining skeledog card (and a second mummydog card):
    207.png

Seeing as the mummydogs would probably take quite a while longer to attain all the cards for, Luu decided to head back. Next thing to try would be... wraiths, no? Luu headed over to some map with wraiths (he has two available, so he went with the one without Stirges) and tried his luck. After doing a loop or two, he concluded that they still do just a hair too much damage to justify dealing with them now. That leaves pretty much just Florina Beach. Luu treks over there and kills some crabs. The Lorang are no issue, but the Clang are just too much at the moment. He nabs the Lorang cards:
    208.png

He then decides to take a nap on the beach.

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    After lounging most of the day away on the beach, Luu decided to actually be productive. Generally speaking, he couldn't do much else in Victoria Island. That would leave... Orbis next, then? Maybe Orbis later; Luu feels like he has some unfinished business in Ludibrium to take care of first. Those Toy Trojans fall today.

Though not until after a quick potion restock at NLC and hairstyle change over at Ariant.

He nabs the two Toy Trojan cards without issue:
    209.png

It's at this point that Luu realizes that he hasn't actually been checking drop tables for, like, anything at all, having been too caught up in card completion.

210.png

...evidently this was a stupid decision, because the Black Lutias were known this entire time. Luu shuttles his way over to Sky Terrace 5 and sets in for the long haul. First, he nabs some panda cards:
    211.png

Luu also expanded his equipment inventory because he hit level 55 and totally forgot he could do that.

With a bit of effort, Luu managed to nab himself a Black Lutia as literally the last item in his inventory:
    212.png

Finally! The first equipment change:
    213.png
    And then the second:
    214.png
    Honestly not looking bad at all. Hell, he even found a Dark Starlight, meaning that he already has the next shoes and overall that he needs... though something very concerning jumped out at him:
    215.png

Fame requirements? How the hell was Luu to get 20 fame? This wasn't something he was expecting to be an issue... Buy fame? Beg for fame? Do twenty days of individual fame trades?

While Luu pondered this rather notable question, he sold off the rest of his inventory:
    216.png
    He can definitely afford to buy fame, but would it fit with this challenge? It's just... such an odd thing to have to think about. Who would've thunk that fame requirements would suddenly matter?

Well, in the meantime Luu was set with some impressive new armor and looked considerably more badass, so he decided to quell his woes by doing a deeper dive into Ludibrium. This time, he decided to take on Robo and Master Robo. Of course, Luu spends an hour before getting even one card, and it drops beneath a foreground object and isn't even visible. Frustrated, Luu decides to take his chances at Eos Tower instead. However, he grew weary after only a mild effort at some rat-killing, so he left and fell asleep on a bench.

His dreams were stress-filled, fretting over the mystery of acquiring fame...

• Like Like x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Freshly-rested, Luu decided to continue trying to nab cards in Eos Tower. Why not the factory? Well, Eos Tower seems to be slightly lower level, which is generally more convenient. The ratz proved quick to yield:
    217.png
    Followed by black ratz on floor 98:
    218.png
    A Trixter on the 94th floor, followed by many more on the 93rd (they are completely depleted by Black Ratz, and given that the Ratz are stronger, the rule applies that they don't count on the 94th floor):
    219.png
    Followed by Chirppy and a Helly card on the 92nd:
    220.png
    On a trip back to sell etcs, Luu was kinda over the poor spawning of Hellies and decided to go back into the factory. Instead of robos, Luu decided to go just a bit further in to deal with some interdimensional time monsters. Or at least, he thinks they are interdimensional time monsters- they're cute alarm clocks. At one point in the process of obtaining their cards, he levels; at this point he had HP washed for two levels. However, that seems rather pointless at the moment- magic guard makes him take at most 20% of damage from his HP instead of his MP. Hence, he only ever needs more HP when his MP exceeds 5x his HP, and at the moment it was only 3x. So, he MP washed instead. He did get some cards:
    221.png

Ultimately though, all of this talk of time made him tired, so he went to sleep back in Ludibrium.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Having recovered from his time-related nap, Luu took to killing some Robos:
    222.png
    With that done, he offloaded the next haul of equipment loot really quick:
    223.png
    And then back to tick-tocks:
    224.png
    During all of that, Beaters managed to go and beat Pink Bean yet again. Luu pondered whether he would ever get to participate in such a thing. Not that he had much choice- with his mind set on his goal of achieving the ultimate mage equipment set, Pink Bean was surely mandated (is it? I honestly have no idea). No doubt this is surely unrealistic, and Luu has no hope in ever participating in such content regardless of invested time, but he can dream.

With the Ticks and Tick-Tocks done, Luu decided to take on some Chronos. Finally, some proper interdimensional horrors. Luu managed to nab a card:
    225.png
    However, the hypnotic pendulums all over the place finally ran their toll; Luu passed out in the middle of the map.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Luu continued his war through this place of questionable time. The Chronos fell in due time:
    226.png
    As did the Platoon Chronos:
    227.png
    And Master Chronos:
    228.png

From there, Luu decided to try again with the Hellies of Eos Tower. It was sometime after the 20th Chirppy card that Luu lost his patience and gave up, without a single Helly card to show for it. Given that Eos Tower is all that's left in Ludibrium... back to Orbis Luu goes, then. Lots of stuff left to do over there.

Like settle his vendetta with Jr. Pepe.
    Almost!
    229.png
    The haul:
    230.png
    That shield made for an improvement over his old one, actually providing INT. Rather than finish the last of the Jr. Pepes (and likely spend some time in El Nath), Luu decided to clean up some of the Orbis garden nonsense. He managed to get a card:
    231.png
    But by then, he had grown too tired, and decided to sleep.

• Like Like x 3
  6. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Luu woke up the next day, June 25th, and prepared for his next adventure.

He then looked at a calendar. Apparently it was now July. Perhaps someone deleted June out of spite? No matter; Luu's journey shall continue! Having recently heard the fantastic truth about his ultimate potential, Luu strove even more to accomplish his goal of ultimate fashion and power. Before that, though, he had to remember what he actually was doing first. For one, why was he in Henesys, with a bunch of scroll boxes on him? Couldn't hurt to open them up. As it turns out, some of these weren't bad! Luu sent the good ones off into storage and discarded the rest.

So... now what? Luu looked in his inventory and saw some Orbis drops, so... Orbis? Couldn't hurt. Luu also noticed that he had the next overall he wanted to wear in his inventory, but was restricted by a lack of fame. Surely that can be solved, eventually. Somehow.

As Luu pummeled some furry critters in Orbis for their cards, he became annoyed at the inability for their monster cards to drop in convenient places. So, from this point forward, monster card updates will simply be pictures of the relevant monster book page. Frankly, it's amazing Luu never died trying to get a screenshot.

Luu spent a couple of hours at this, and decided to call it a day. Not too much progress, but maybe burnout was the issue all along?

232.png

• Like Like x 3
  7. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    2:05 PM
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    Take your time, burnout is real.
    You are doing a very entertaining thing, personally I rather see rare posts than a lot and then nothing for a long time.
    LOVE your journal !!!

8. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Whewie, this fell off hard.

So, a few things that I've learned from this.
    1. MapleLegends has content besides the grind for a reason. Setting up a playthrough that is exclusively grinding (and nonstop at that) is soul-crushing. Don't do that.
    2. I still contend that the NLC MP potions are too cheap.
    3. Cutting out stores does not meaningfully change gameplay other than making things even more exhausting when the only gameplay is the grind.
    4. MapleLegends is a whole lot more fun with friends.
    I'm still a sucker for well-matched equipment sets, but I think when I one day circle back to this (something about a defense rework? Very, very intriguing; being a mage makes HP watching a bit more moot but a defense rework might make my armor-wearing ways more relevant) I'll change a few things. Well, pretty much all of them, really. Drop all the restrictions and just play the game the way that I find fun, which would be... well, actually engaging with the game's content besides the grind. Quests, PQs, actually joining a guild maybe. I think I'll stick with simply pretending that the library doesn't exist and relying on in-game acquisition of information because that's more interesting than relentlessly min-maxing my goals. So, still getting cards to figure out what drops what, but not making cards obligatory for progressing through the game. Of course, still insisting on exclusively wearing complete armor sets and incrementally upgrading them, but not being afraid to just buy pieces of the sets from stores and crafting and whatnot.

And throwing away half the NLC MP potions I buy because I still insist they're at half-price, and I refuse to make all the other MP potions in the game irrelevant so early on.

9. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    HahahahahahahahahahahahahahHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! I'VE BEEN VINDICATED!

*coughs*

Anyway, with the recent announcements regarding HP washing and whatnot (which, given how long it'll take me to get to level 100 on any one character, means I have plenty of time), I figured to start this up again. Notably, I'll be deleting the old character and starting fresh, with a new approach. Which is to say, the only real limitation this time is that I'm not going to look up what drops what equipment, and I'm not going to rely on the FM to buy matching equipment sets. And that I still plan on always wearing matching sets.

That and I might not just limit this to a single I/L mage. Other classes are fun, too, after all; and doubly so if I don't have to care about HP washing.

But yeah, I actually plan on doing quests! And buying low-level armor from NPCs! And refusing to look up anything in the library (other than, like, verifying that particular armor pieces exist)! And, most importantly, always having matching armor sets! I'll keep it all in this thread just to keep things simple enough, though I'll probably rename it and redo the starting post. I also might make an alt account just to hit 20 fame because I'm cheap and lazy and buying 20 fame seems silly when it takes hardly any time at all to acquire it myself, when the time comes that I actually need 20 fame to wear the snazzy armor. Assuming I haven't been fortunate enough to have acquired 20 fame by then.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HouseAuburn

HouseAuburn Capt. Latanica

Aug 11, 2020
    Male
    Henesys
    I've never been a fan of the Fame req for equips system as it stands. Not that it itself is bad, but I've never understood why something at Level 40 requires the same 20 Fame as something at Level 90. It really should go up in increments of 5 or something (5 for 40, 10 for 50, etc.)

Anyway, welcome back and hope to catch you out there some time!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    It had been a long time, but Luu finally felt like continuing his journey after taking a long hiatus. So, he dusted off his old armor set, got his equipment ready, and—
    1.png
    Ah crap, here we go again.

For the sake of brevity, little changed between the first round of Maple Island and the second. Luu blitzed his way through all the quests as fast as possible, trying his hardest to just get it all over with so he wouldn't have to think twice about how ridiculous he looks in that awful sapling costume (or frankly even the jean shorts).

2.png
    And so Luu left Maple Island, looking ridiculous.

Thanks! Yeah, not particularly thrilled over the fame-requiring armor, but it can be worked around fairly easily. Hopefully it doesn't take me too long to reach a point where I can wear them, though I have to acquire them first!

12. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Luu steps off the boat into Lith Harbor.
    3.png
    Nothing to his name but an ugly hat, some cheap shorts, a bland t-shirt, and a knife perfect for carving up a pineapple. If he didn't have remaining business in Lith Harbor, he'd already be off to change into proper mage attire. However, there are people to talk to! About basic information, but nonetheless, people to talk to!

And talk, and talk, and talk. First the monster book ring, and then getting some directions from Olaf. Took a while, but Luu manages to get some directions:

4.png

Luu wastes no time, and rushes over to Ellinia. He ascends the tree and talks to Grendel, trying to get through the conversation so quickly that his attempt at immortalizing his journey ends up sniped by a dumb pop-up from a note:

5.png

Grendel shouts to Luu as he walks out the door; something about "training". Luu doesn't care; he can finally change out of this awful outfit!

6.png

Finally! Had to sell all of his belongings but it was worth it! He was in such a rush he didn't even notice someone congratulate him on his achievement! Now then, Luu has achieved the rank of... brown. Very, very brown. This will probably persist for the first while.

Low-level armors have a habit of being brown.

Having accepted some basic quests in town (including that training that Grendel mentioned), Luu heads off to kill some slimes. There's a vender in town offering to make Luu some level 15 gloves for some leather. That, however, would require Luu to have access to leather. Presumably pigs drop leather? Either way, he's far too broke now to afford a cab. So, it'll be an adjacent-to-Ellinia quest completion grind for now.

Without much time taken, Luu wrapped up the last training while also accruing a good deal of enemy drops for other quests. The haul:

7.png

Not much, but when you're this broke, anything counts. Luu even obtained his first monster book card!

8.png

And, with Luu at level 13, he can... not equip the next wand because he totally forgot to always keep his luck at minimum required + 5 rather than simply flat minimum required. Whoops! That upgrade will have to wait until level 14, then. Quite a lot of progress for only an hour! However, Luu decided to camp out in Ellinia for a bit and take a breather. Given what happened last time, overexertion is not the best interest here.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Luu, having completed his training, contemplated two things. One, his need for additional quests; and two, his horrible hair. Also that the glove he wants to have for level 15 can be made with some leather, which presumably drops from some pigs. Probably. As opposed to... y'know, tree stumps or slimes or giant mushrooms.

So, given the lack of a hairdresser in Ellinia, maybe a trip to Henesys is in order?

Fortunately along the way Luu verified his pigs-drop-leather hypothesis, when one he killed along the way provided him his first square of the stuff. Given the rest of the glove crafting, Luu's gonna be spending a lot of time farming leather.

Luu's haul from the trek from Ellinia to Henesys (taxis are expensive):
    10.png
    11.png
    Luu even managed to grab enough slime bubbles to wrap up helping Wing out with his homework, the next time Luu heads back to Ellinia. Which will probably be in short order. But first, hair! When it comes to hair, Luu knew that he'd always be wearing a hat. So, the hair has to look good in spite of that. His eyes could also use an adjusting, with some thinner eyebrows.
    12.png
    Much better. Hair needs a color change to blue, but no such luck in Henesys. Perhaps Kerning City? Regardless, Luu came here for more of a reason than fashion: quests! For which there was one! A fellow named Bruce wants a bunch of mushroom spores and orange mushroom caps for his research. His daughter went missing many years ago due to a giant mushroom.

Fascinating, really. Anyway, Luu left both in search of mushrooms and to turn in what Wing needed for his homework back in Ellinia, grabbing a sky snowboard along the way. Wing is, as anyone might expect being in such a dire situation, ever so grateful for Luu putting in all the work to he—
    13.png
    Luu questions why he even bothered thinking that talking to people would be worthwhile. With a gained level and enough LUK, he could at least buy and use a hardwood wand to replace his staff. Next upgrade's gonna require the full outfit, however. With gloves. Which will need to either stumble upon a drop, or get 15 leather to make.

There was a branching path between Henesys and Ellinia that Luu noticed when going between the two; maybe the Nautilus would have some convenient quests as well? Luu makes the quick trek over. Inside the sub, he finds a curious dolphin that requests a mana elixir. The dolphin, actually grateful compared to Wing, then explains why he's there: to control the Shining Stones, which power the sub. Neat! Luu decides to touch the stone out of curiosity; it's a curious feeling, touching something effusing with so much power. Luu wanders over to the other side of the lower deck and helps out Baine with some mysterious sounds. He talks really quick with Bart, who hands him some logs to bring back to Baine. Luu contemplates whether or not these people have working legs. After returning to Baine, Luu is tasked with hunting some snails and pigs to try and find some indication of the presence of spies of the Black Magician, who all these people on the Nautilus seem to be working against. This proved a useful quest, for Luu managed to get more leather this way. On the way back, he noticed a fellow named Abel looking for their glasses. Luu figured to grab them on his way out of the Nautilus, so he went inside and sought out some additional quests. He found the restaurant chef in need of some pigs slayed; what luck! Luu was also tasked with replacing a ragged cleaning cloth, with ribbons from ribbon pigs.

This will be a bountiful slaughter of pigs, that's for sure.

Meanwhile Luu delivered the token and was tasked yet again with being the legs for someone who simply refused to use theirs. From that point, Luu was tasked with defeating a disciple of the black magician. An actual quest! Doing something of note! It didn't take too much effort, but Luu dispatched them and returned. With that wrapped up, Luu left the Nautilus (returning Abel's glasses along the way). Where to next? Perhaps Kerning City? No reason not to. Luu stopped by Maya in Henesys to help with her illness. She tasked Luu with going to Lith Harbor to acquire some weird medicine.

So, Luu decided to go to Lith Harbor first, then Kerning City. As for why he wasn't simply wrapping up the pig hunt? Well, just in case any other quest required pigs that he had simply not accepted yet. Once Luu reached Lith Harbor, he accepted a quest to get some flowers for John's wedding anniversary (for which Luu will no doubt regret) and talked with Teo regarding the weird medicine. Surprise surprise, Teo requested that Luu do yet more fetch-questing; Luu now needed to go to Perion. Well, that requires passing through Kerning City regardless, so it works perfectly.

Luu arrives, and first decides to tackle talking with some kid named Icarus and doing a quiz. Simple enough. Nella also wants Luu to help out some of the residents of the town, for a price. Luu has enough to foot the bill, and gets a lead on helping out Don Hwang with making a piece of armor. Something else to tackle later. Outside of that, there's not much here, so Luu steps in and gets his hair color changed before going north to Perion.

14.png
    Imagine that, except without drab brown equipment. Imagine something with a lot of gold accents and... well, ideally it'd be blue, but until level 120 it'll all be black. Close enough.

Luu works his way over to Perion, at one point doubling back because he managed to find some slime and sticks for Icarus and felt like bringing those in real quick. A fellow named Blackbull needs some wood for his house, which Luu is happy to help him acquire. Conveniently, a girl named Ayan wants Luu to kill a whole lot of stumps, so that'll be serving double-duty. Luu also heads over to the girl Teo mentioned, Sophia. He's requested to fetch yet more items, but also curiously a sampling of Archon's blood. For which Luu is told to go chat with a fellow named Manji. Fair enough; Luu has no idea what or where Archon are, but the rest of the drops listed seem to be enemies he's encountered before. Mostly. Octopus legs remain a mystery. Luu heads out and chats with Manji, who tells Luu to go and get some charms of the undead.

Sounds fun. Surely.

With Perion wrapped up, Luu concludes his roundabout journey by going back to Ellinia. Another one of the fairies, Arwen, has a quest for him this time. A quest to kill 100 green mushrooms. Figures that so many of these quests overlap in goals.

With Luu's journey of Victoria Island complete, he decided to examine his haul.
    15.png
    16.png
    17.png
    Given that there's no time like the present, Luu uses the Gachapon ticket at Ellinia. He's rewarded with a... dark scroll for shoes for jump. Okay then. All in all, a pretty good day of progress!

Next time he's paying for a cab.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Yesterday, Luu managed to win a dark scroll for shoes for jump 30%. On a hunch, Luu considered that it might have some value, so he grabbed a quick Owl of Minerva to ascertain the value. Seems that they go for about 5 million mesos. Good to know! Too bad Luu knows nothing of the intricacies of actually selling such a scroll, so it remains with him for now. Meanwhile, there is the more pressing matter of all these quests Luu now has on his plate. Fortunately, some can already be resolved! While some can already be turned in, Luu wants to resolve these quests in bulk.

So, might as well kill some stumps in the meantime. It didn't take all that long, so Luu then moved on to some orange mushrooms over by Henesys. Fortunately the nearby hunting ground also had a ton of snails, meaning some cards could be acquired as well. Once he wrapped up grabbing those orange mushroom caps, Luu returns to turn in the spoils to Bruce. He gets a thanks and some red potions, but not much else. So, since it was along the way, Luu decided to go collect the remaining red ribbons he needed. It also doubles as an opportunity to get all the leather he needs for those sweet gloves.

Took a solid 30 minutes, but Luu finally finishes acquiring all the leather he needs. He stops over at the Nautilus first to turn in these quests, before going back to Ellinia for his well-earned gloves. Tangyoon gives him another quest on his way out, though, so he wraps that up before making his way back to Ellinia. Nothing like milking cows.

There was also another quest he had to accept before leaving, which became available once he hit level 20. He's tasked with delivering a letter over to the Aquarium, which... will not be done for quite a while! Not feeling like walking any more, Luu takes a cab back to Ellinia and finally crafts himself a pair of gloves. At this point he realizes something critical: there's no actual need, with how things work, to use a sapphire staff. He could just upgrade straight to a metal wand.

That seems boring, so Luu decides not to. Instead, Luu decides to try and spend at least one level with any weapon.

The haul:
    19.png
    20.png
    Luu also obtained 1 common gacha ticket, which rewarded him with 1 bullet. Sending a message, it seems. If nothing else, Luu has a new look:
    21.png
    Finally, something that isn't brown.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Since it was just taking up room in Luu's inventory, he decided to spend some of those NX points he had lying around to set up a shop to sell that dark scroll. Who knows? Maybe it'll sell quickly?

With that out of the way, Luu contemplated why he continues switching between present and past-tense to write about how things are going. Given that these are all things that happened just a moment ago, why bother with the present tense? This is silly. Similarly, Luu now lacked anything he could do around Ellinia. He did have a couple of quests to deal with green mushrooms, but it seems that there might be another according to his quest log? With that in mind, Luu took a cab to Perion instead. There, Manji told Luu that some odd fellows asked for his help but would tell him nothing of who they were, so he instead tasked Luu with helping them so long as Luu could prove himself first by killing 10 dark axe stumps. Sophia, meanwhile, requested some tree sap to produce honey. Odd choice of ingredient there but oh well. Not sure what drops them, though. Maybe some variety of stump? Luu also chatted with Winston, who wanted some fossils from mushrooms and stumps, as well as some saplings from ghost stumps, which are over in the excavation site. From there, Luu decided to take a simple route: Kerning City->Henesys->Sleepywood, to nab the rest of the available quests and maybe complete a couple of the ones in Sleepywood.

As for getting back out? Well, Luu still had scrolls to Nautilus.

Once in Kerning City, he chatted with a runaway kid, Alex. Apparently Chief Stan is a very strict dad, but running away was a mistake and he wants to head home. Alex tasked Luu with fixing the problem. A girl named Shumi requested Luu fetch her lost coin out of the subway. Since he was right there, he figured to tackle this one before heading to Henesys. Right before he did, though, someone actually bought his shoe scroll! Luu was rich! Rich!

And miserable, because this stupid coin turned out to be a godawful jump quest! Took the limits of Luu's patience, but he managed to succeed and recover the coin. Apparently it was made the same year that her friend was born. Neat.

Jump quests are hell.

Over in Henesys, Bruce seems to have found his daughter in Perion! He tasked Luu with showing her a toy sword to see if she remembers who she is. Ms. Ming Ming, meanwhile, wants a whole bunch of random things for a festival coming up. Swell. Chief Stan, meanwhile, will apparently only give Luu the time of day for 50 evil eye tails and 100 pig ribbons. This is turning into requiring quite a few pig ribbons. Ah well; Luu needs those monster cards anyway, so he's more than willing. Pia, meanwhile, wants Luu to punish a bunch of mushrooms in response to an attack and bring their caps as proof, and also help out with an interesting legend. Apparently some snail has a shell that grants wishes. He returned the book about it to Jay, who told Luu to go seek out... well, Ms. Ming Ming, no less, who happens to be Jay's mother. She apparently knows the whereabouts of Alloy, her grandfather, who wrote the book. Apparently he relocated over to Ellinia and befriended Wing.

That, of course, will have to wait until after Luu heads over to Sleepywood. Where it remains an open question whether or not he'll even survive making it there. At least, if these metal-clad pigs have anything to say about it.

Or golems, apparently, which mauled him to death. Whoops. Fortunately the world of MapleLegends is a world where people casually come back from the dead and Luu was no exception; the magic of the town revived him from his stupidity and stuck him back in town. All so he can attempt the trip once more. Fortunately, Luu survived the journey this time, and took on a quest from Luke the guard of the Henesys dungeon entrance. He wants to make a... snake drink for his mother, requiring some snakeskins and bat wings. And a "salad for dessert."

Something is seriously wrong with either Luke or his mother.

Before making it to Sleepywood proper, Luu headed north in the forest a bit to find that sign offering a quest over green mushrooms. It tasks him with killing 99 of them. Simple enough, and it fits with the rest of what he was tasked with doing from others. Eurek in Sleepywood offers Luu the secret of using scrolls on unequipped items at the price of... a bunch of 100% scrolls, a red whip, and a million mesos. Haha, not for a long time. Since he was here, he recalled John mentioned the secret to getting the flowers he wanted being this mysterious statue in town. Luu touches the statue, and it whisks him away...

To another goddamn jump quest.

Who the hell put all these floating platforms everywhere, anyway?

Luu escaped with the flowers and a blistering headache over the stupidity of the existence of jump quests. Since he was here, he ventured into the ant tunnels since there may be another quest buried in there, from another sign. Inside were a ton of horned and zombie mushrooms, the latter of which drop the charms he needed to get the arcon blood from earlier. He died during the attempted acquisition, but came back and kept pushing deeper into the tunnels. A few bits in, and he finally reached the sign, with a quest to kill 99 horned mushrooms. Luu pushed as far as he could, ultimately encountering both stirges and evil eyes, for which he needed the wings and tails, respectively. The stirge wings came easy, but there were a couple of problems with the evil eyes:
    1. He couldn't even consistently hit them, let alone survive hits.
    2. He ran out of blue potions.
    So, Luu returned to the entrance via a scroll. He accumulated a good many of those due to quests, much to his gratitude in his current predicament. So, Luu spent some time in the sauna, and replenished his potion supply. Given his current levels of MP (a total of 780), he switched to pure waters. Fortunately he could actually afford this what with all the money he gained from that scroll sale. With that done, he ventured to the entrance of the ant tunnels to wrap up getting the charms of the undead and killing horned mushrooms, which gave him a level and in the process a quest further into the ant tunnels to kill zombie mushrooms as well. So, he took that on, completed them both, and left Sleepywood via a return scroll to the Nautilus. From there, Luu took a cab over to Lith Harbor, and wrapped up some of the quests he had waiting for him back there. In return for the flowers, John gave him some... screws. Well, potentially useful for crafting at least. After turning in that and Olaf's quest for ribbons and a pig head that he took on wayyyyy back when he arrived (and got some pills... awfully sketchy), Luu went to Ellinia to tie up loose ends there and switch out this staff for a wand. Luu chatted with Wing over Alloy. Wing, of course, wanted some items in exhcange for info. Luu hadn't sold any of his spare items, so he was already able to provide 10 of each snail shell to get info out of Wing. Apparently Wing wanted those to help out Icarus. In exchange, Luu was informed of Mano's location around the thicket near Lith Harbor. Luu went over to Henesys to inform Pia, and then went off to Perion to wrap up some odds and ends there.

Among other things, it turned out Ayan is in fact Bruce's daughter (shocker, really), and that Manji was willing to provide Luu with arcon's blood after all. Since he was here, Luu decided to kill a whole bunch of various stumps to wrap up all the outstanding quests he had involving any of them. No luck on the ancient sap, but he did manage to get everything else that he needed. Blackbull's house has been repaired, and Manji now trusts Luu enough to... whisk him off to the desert.

Given that Luu had no reason to stick around, he decided to take the journey over to the desert. What was the worst that could happen?

Well, turns out everyone is horribly inhospitable. A fellow named Byron seemed to be trying to work out why, so Luu chatted with them for a bit. Turns out the solution is to... drink the water here. Apparently. I guess people can tell somehow that you've done this. Sure. After doing so, several quests opened up, such as helping Sirin with her dancing, Tigun with being granted access to the palace (which cost a nice 2000 mesos), and the queen, for getting her some tea. Which would require Luu to head over to Orbis.

None of this was particularly feasible to do at the moment, so Luu paid much too much money to be plopped back down over in Victoria Island. Reviewing his quests, the next item on the docket is... green mushrooms. Many, many green mushrooms. Luu figured to check those various hollow trees in northern and southern Ellinia, since they seem to harbor a good number of mushrooms. Assuming they don't harbor a whole lot of other nasties. He managed to find a tree with a good number of them and got everything he needed from them. He figured to go turn in the fossils first, and along the way stop at the excavation site to get those saplings, too. Upon turning those quests in, he was tasked with delivering the fossils to Dr. Betty in Ellinia, and grabbing some wooden and rocky masks from the creatures in the excavation site. He'll circle back there later; for now, he has quests to turn in over in Ellinia. And, of course, more quests to accept everywhere else. Mostly Ellinia and the Nautilus.

Over at Ellinia, Luu turned in the fossil research to Dr. Betty, who requested in turn some plant samples. Swell. Arwen, meanwhile, gave Luu a piece of ice that seems to stubbornly not melt. Neat. She also requested Luu find her glass shoe from "some burning monsters". Fantastic.

The haul:
    22.png
    23.png
    24.png
    The hat, while a magic hat, is a hideous shade of brown, so Luu sold it along with the rest.

• Like Like x 3
  16. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Taking a look at his quest list, Luu formulated a plan of attack. First, he would travel to the Nautilus. Then, to Henesys. Afterwards, to Kerning City. He would then go and tackle the ever-growing volume of quests that he has accumulated, starting in Kerning City. Before that, though, he noticed that one of his quests suggest that at level 20 he visit the Mushroom Shrine. Given that this was readily available, Luu decided to go there first. When arriving, it seems that Kino Konoko, the shrine maiden, is incredibly overworked and in need of a good deal of help. While Luu accepted these quests, he didn't have too much of an urgency to clear them out right now (requiring killing a whole lot of crows and fire raccoons), and so journeyed back to Ellinia, and then to the Nautilus.

In terms of what's available, it seems that Bartol wants to pull a prank on the crewmember standing near the crew quarters by using some evil eye tails to trick them into thinking there's a snake infestation. Tangyoon wishes to cook an interesting dish out of evil eye tails, and Ms. Reade wants some rat traps, which seem to be dropped by the toy rats over in Ludibrium. Sharyl, the Prince of the Whalians, wants to help out the dimming water fireflies by fetching something or another from the Aquarium, which is again a good deals away. It seems that at some point Luu will need to venture quite far from Victoria Island to tackle these quests. Regardless, Luu heads over to Henesys.

There, he is tasked with recovering three Maple History books, from either a ship to Orbis, Grendel the Very Old, and some Chronos in Ludibrium. Camila wants Luu to bring a marble over to Utah at his farm. Meanwhile, Luu returned Ayan's letter to Bruce, who was utterly thrilled that his daughter is still alive. Luu then ventured over to Kerning City real quick to receive a quest from Jane Doe in the hospital, who wants some broken mirror shards from some wild boards "up in the mountains" so she can see how she looks.

With all of that out of the way, Luu took an inventory of what he needs:
    100 Jr. Necki Skins
    100 Bubbling's Huge Bubbles
    20 Octopus Legs
    50 Squishy Liquids
    20 Ancient Tree Sap
    60 Blue Mushroom Caps
    20 Slime Bubbles
    200 Pig's Ribbons
    100 Evil Eye Tails

Since he was already in Kerning City, Luu decided to tackle the first three of those. Octopus can be found in the construction area outside of town. Bubblings are in the subway, and Jr. Neckis are in the swamp through the sewers. The bubbles let Luu finish a quest in Kerning City, which net him another quest that needs 5 screws and 5 processed wood. He has the screws from John, and more than 50 sticks for producing the processed wood, so this was easily settled. This, of course, nets him a third quest, for 100 octopus legs and a pure water. He has the pure water for his MP potions, meaning Luu just needs more octopus legs. Luu decided to head into the sewers really quick to see about the Jr. Neckis, but they seem annoying to hit and not that frequent there. There were more in Sleepywood, maybe? Regardless, they can be tackled later. Luu trekked over to the construction site to get 100 more octopus legs, and conveniently killed enough blue mushrooms at the bottom of the map to get the 60 mushroom caps and 2 bento boxes. Three quests in one!

Also it turned out the reward for turning in those 100 octopus legs was a Blue Morrican, the level 20 mage glove in the right color. Hah. The follow-up quest is 100 horned mushroom caps and 50 Jr. Necki skins. Hence, the current list:
    150 Jr. Necki Skins
    50 Squishy Liquids
    20 Ancient Tree Sap
    20 Slime Bubbles
    200 Pig's Ribbons
    100 Evil Eye Tails

Before going to Henesys and tackling those ribbon pigs, Luu decided to pay a quick journey to Ellinia. On his hunt, he obtaned a common gachapon card and wante to see what he would get.

It turned out to be a worthless scroll, so Luu moved on. The haul so far:
    26.png
    27.png
    Since Luu was already in Ellinia, he went and took care of the slimes first. Took a bit, and much to Luu's infuriation he did not get a single slime card but a ton of snail cards, but he managed to get every slime drop he needed. Then, to Henesys, for the outstanding pig ribbons. He already had over a hundred in his inventory, so he was able to turn in one of the two quests early. Ming Ming then requested yet more items: 60 octopus legs, 20 pig heads, and Estelle's Special Sauce, which he most procure through Estelle in Ellinia. Well then. Luu got the pig ribbons quickly, and then went over to Utah's farm.

Utah needs to get his shit together, because his farm is a deathtrap.

Anyway, Luu returned to Henesys to turn in the mushroom caps to Pia, who in turn gave him a useless scroll. With the next bulk of tasks being in Sleepywood, Luu decided to go to Perion (and then to Ariant) first to tackle a quest that opened up there as well as getting the rock necessary to get that medicine from way back. Once in Ariant, he accepted a quest from a member of the Sand Bandits to procure materials necessary for a rope. First, he needed to obtain sterns from Jr. Cactus. Easy enough. After that, some cactus thorns. Following that, to actually steal treasure from the Palace. Swell. In the meantime, Luu turned in the 20 rattles to Sirin, and accepted a quest from Jiyur to tell his imprisoned sister that he loves her. Schegerazade (his sister, who didn't rat Luu out while he snuck in the palace) provided Luu a letter to give to Jiyur in response. Luu left with the letter and a stolen ring without issue. Jiyur read the letter and wished to send his sister a gift of some royal cactus flowers to soothe her vocal chords. Luu gave the strange guy out in the desert the ring, to only have apparently Sirin promptly steal it. Hm... something seems off. In chatting with Sirin, it turns out that he was in fact a member of the Red Scorpions the entire time! Nothing more than a petty thief, not trying to help out the locals whatsoever. So, Luu took on a quest to exact revenge. Luu sneaks in and steals their treasure, and redistributes it amongst the locals. He also starts working his way towards joining the Sand Bandits, and is tasked with stealing a very valuable treasure, providing food for the locals, and killing a bunch of Bellamoas. Fair enough.

Luu wrapped up all three fairly quickly, and returned. Doing a couple of other short tasks (delivering the food, donating some money) ends up pushing Luu all the way to level 30! Swell! So, to do his advancement, Luu returns to Ellinia and squares that away. Byron provided Luu with a letter of recommendation, even, which only facilitates things even further. With a quick bit of proving himself...

28.png
    Luu was now an ice/lightning wizard.

When deciding to store a mushroom eraser he got through a gachapon roll, he also noticed that all of the other scrolls he stored were still there. So, he set up a store to sell them all, and then decided to take a break. A lot of progress was made, after all.

The haul, at the end:
    29.png
    30.png
    31.png

17. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Added a couple new rules. One, if crafting is an option, buying isn't. Two, the bronze/silver/gold pride hats are in the level 25 armor set. Reasoning for the former is that it solves the "you can just buy both" issue for weapons, and for the latter because mages don't have level 25 hats, only two sets of level 30 hats. As for why shifting down the pride instead of the jester? The weapon defense on the pride, plus the earlier availability, makes it work better.

Also, to make things more complicated, the jewelry shoes will pair with the doros robes, and the windshoes with the wizard robes. Same with the respective gloves. The split piece outfit goes with the level 15 shoes, gloves, and hat. The wizard hat goes with the doros robes, and the pride with the wizard robes. Magicshoes and salt shoes go with chaos robes (alongside their level-equivalent gloves and hats).

Honestly, I don't know what's going on with magic equipment but it's the worst.

18. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    So, Luu rethought all of the armor stuff and hence needed a change in clothes.

32.png
    Much better.

With that out of the way, Luu reviewed his quests. Seems the Nautilus picked up the bulk of the level 30 quests, so he went there first. Bartol offered a potential warp service to the Omega Sector, at the request of doing a few errands. Bonnie needs some solid horns to fix a hole in the ship... as to what drops those, who knows? Black Bark wanted to give Kyrin a birthday present of a dress made out of the tablecloths of Jr. Wraiths. Rolonay wanted Luu to deliver some info to the Omega Sector, which... well, presumably that warp option would really come in handy for going over there to solve that one. With those queued up, Luu then went to Lith Harbor to nab more quests.

Naturally, John wanted more flowers, meaning... I suppose another jump quest. Joy. Jane wanted to go on a trip but needs wild boar teeth and horned mushroom caps to prove that she can go. Teo accepted the sparkling rock and gave Luu the weird medicine for Maya, who in turn gave Luu a bamboo hat and some money. With that out of the way, Luu went to Kerning City, where Shumi lost even more money to a different construction site.

Meaning another jump quest.
    Joy.

Luu came back with the roll of money and gratitude that he sold that pistol from earlier. In Perion, he accepted a quest from Manji in which he was ordered to "visit Moppie from Orbis." The joys of cryptic quests. Luu took the Perion path to Sleepywood, grabbing a quest from the guard along the way. He wanted a red, orange, white, and blue potion, which conveniently Luu already had. This doesn't help the guard with his sleep issues, but at least Luu tried.

Once in Sleepywood, Luu turns in the quest for hunting 99 green mushrooms, only to notice that there is yet another: this time for 999.

Which is to say, one that Luu won't actively pursue, but completing it will be nice.

Meanwhile, Luu went and accepted a quest from Sabitrama to get some herbs for some diet medicine over in Ellinia. He also chatted with Mr. Wetbottom, who wanted to recover a book that his son walked away with. Luu would have to go find Ronnie, who likes to hide in tree tunnels in Ellinia. At this point, only one thing remained for Luu to resolve in Sleepywood (outside of the ant tunnels, anyway), and that is...

Yet another jump quest.

At one point Luu's blood pressure got so high he became pretty sure he burst a blood vessel.

But the flowers were obtained, and all was good. Luu went and accepted the hunt for 99 Curse Eyes, and then went into the ant tunnels for some unfinished business. Which is to say, killing a lot of evil eyes. This didn't take too long, and he had the tails that he needed. Luu went and turned in those tails at the Nautilus and Henesys, and then decided to wrap up some material collecting for a new pair of shoes. Which is to say, Luu needed 30 leather.

Which would be great, but Luu was out of MP potions, and these pure waters wouldn't do anymore. It was time to upgrade to sorcerer potions. That is to say, correctly-priced sorcerer potions that Luu could buy without any concerns. While on the subway, Luu contemplated the next steps of his career. While he could continue pursuing quests, it was getting to the point where Luu would also need to consider setting up his next set of equipment. He would need to upgrade that Blue Morrican to a green one, produce blue jewelry boots, and get a steel plate for an old wooden staff. The necessary emeralds could come from stumps, and steel ore from dark stumps. It would take a bit, but getting the necessary materials was certainly possible. Something might, of course, actually drop the gloves and shoes, but Luu did not yet have a card for them.

Perhaps some card collecting was in order? Luu decided to go to Lith Harbor to turn in those flowers to John, and to start killing a good number of blue snails for their card. Also while he was there, he could see if he could kill Mano a few times too.

After getting the blue snail cards (and a couple of slime cards to boot), Luu decided to see if he could find Mano simply by waiting. While sitting there, he also contemplated just how necessary Green Morricans were for his armor setup. The hat would be green, the shoes white with a blue gem, and the robe... white, probably. Blue gloves or green gloves could both work.

Regardless, Luu managed to kill Mano and brought the rainbow shell to Pia, and kill some pigs for leather. Not enough leather to make the shoes, but a good effort to round out the day. The haul:

33.png
    34.png
    35.png
    36.png
    There were also two gachapon cards (one common, one rare), which yielded a couple of scrolls (overall str 60%, 1h axe 30%; both fairly worthless). The red wizard hat was sold due to matching nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Luu decided, before finishing up getting the leather he needed for his shoes, to wrap up some card collecting first. No particular reason; just seemed more fun. The next on his list of missing red cards are... Shrooms and Orange Mushrooms. As to where to hunt them? The locations of the red snail provided a good hint:
    37.png
    Where might some mushrooms be but a mushroom garden? It can be accessed from the hill west of Henesys. There he found an abundance of both, and getting the outstanding cards took little more than 10 minutes or so. That left... octopus, green mushroom, and bubbling.

And Mano, which Luu wrapped up since he was already right there.

Thinking on it, Luu decided to hold off on the last 3 cards and simply procure all the necessary leather and firewood (for the old wooden staff). It would accelerate getting those three cards, having a bit more oomph in his attacks. Luu hunted pigs in the usual place for a bit, before getting a bit bored of this too. Maybe those boars in Perion also drop leather? Luu went to Perion, over to Rocky Road III, to hunt Wild Boar and some stumps, too. Unexpectedly, Luu obtained some ancient tree sap from the dark axe stumps. How convenient! That means this place can wrap up three quests, and obtain some necessary items.

While there, Luu wrapped up the card set for the Dark Axe Stump, which revealed that they could also be found somewhere else:
    38.png
    This place could be accessed just one map over, conveniently enough. There, Luu slaughtered a countless number of boars, and finally obtained all the necessary leather. He then circled around to turn in a couple of quests, and then finish creating his next equipment set.
    The haul:
    39.png
    40.png
    41.png
    Funny enough, Luu actually obtained an old wooden staff from an axe stump, but the stat distribution is worse than his current wand. The Blue Jester is also the wrong color.

Following the boar hunt, Luu went to Kerning City to turn in a couple of quests to Jane Doe, and accept Icarus's request to create a flying machine. Jane Doe gave Luu a very... ugly cape. Ah well. Jane in Lith Harbor gave him a scroll for his troubles, though it was only good for swords. Perhaps it can be sold for something. With that out of the way, Luu went and created his new armor set:

42.png

Not the most cohesive, but we're working with limited options here.

Luu also got 2 common gachapon cards, which yielded a scroll for daggers and some... juice. Swell.

• Like Like x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Luu pondered the next evolution of his equipment. He decided that an Ocean Mesana, white wizard robe (blue gloves matching blue gems on the robe), and Silver Windshoes would make the most sense, as well as a Golden Pride. The Ocean Mesana requires... much too much leather, so hopefully he could find something that drops it. Certainly better than grinding Mano for a Dark Mesana.

With that out of the way, that left Luu with more cards to hunt. As for what? Well, he had... octopus, green mushroom, and bubblings in the red. Given that he was already in Ellinia, maybe there was somewhere to find the most green mushrooms? Thinking on it, there were a lot in that tree he hunted slimes in way-back-when. Why not there? Before heading off, he grabbed the outstanding plant samples for Dr. Betty and was tasked with grabbing a stuffed Drake skull from her daughter. Something to do later.

So, Luu ventured there and hunted a good deal, until he wrapped up all the cards he was looking for. Only took 765 mushrooms. He also encountered Ronnie, who wanted some bananas and milk and an "Unagi Special" from Rina in Henesys. Luu decided, rather than to go back to town and take a cab, to walk over to Kerning City and nab some cards from areas along the way. For instance, Luu had no cards for the excavation site. Why not grab those now? So, Luu did this for a good while until part of his inventory filled up, then went into town. He chatted with Winston along the way, who told him about some fun rumors regarding a ghost tree and asked Luu to ask around in town regarding them. Luu did, and found out that there is a powerful ghost tree named Stumpy lurking near Perion, though he needed to confirm some details with Dr. Betty first.

Luu decided to do a couple of kills of Mano before heading to bed, just to see if that Dark Mesana would drop. No luck, though Luu did score a earrings for int 10% scroll. Luu also netted 7 common gachapon cards from all that hunting. All scrolls, mostly worthless. Alas.

The haul:
    43.png
    44.png
    45.png
    46.png
    (Mano was from yesterday, but I forgot to throw in the picture)

All in all, a pretty good yield. Before selling, Luu squared away a couple of quests: Dr. Betty needed a new watch and wants a cog from a Chronos, and told Luu about how the forest was drying up near Perion. Rowen was willing to provide fresh milk for Ronnie but only in exchange for a diamond, which Luu happened to have.

Luu set up his FM store to sell the scrolls, and went to bed exhausted. Those gloves will have to wait until tomorrow.