1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about AP Resets.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cscpx, Jul 20, 2017.

1. cscpx

cscpx Timer

May 17, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    11:34 AM
    cscpx
    Priest
    Animals
    hi guys

a lot of people have been talking about AP resets and what to do about it.

My question is:

Why?

What is wrong with the current AP reset situation?

A lot of people have different opinions about why they are against changes.

What argument is there FOR changes in the first place?

2. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    12:34 PM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    There was going to be a change on the price of ap resets during the summer patch from 3.1k to 1.6k or 5 ap resets for 6.4k which later got changed to 2.5k each or a bundle of 5 for 10k and finally got reverted back to normal to wait and find a better solution. That's when the discussion thread got opened.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    cscpx

cscpx Timer

May 17, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    cscpx
    Priest
    Animals
    Thanks for the response Sucre:

Follow up question:

What reason is there for needing to change it to a lower price?

- Have changes been made that make HP washing and the speed at which it's done necessary and must be done faster ?
    - Is there an inherent unfair advantage towards new players that prompt them to require more readily available AP resets compared to the already washed players ?

4. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    Right now hp washing is necessary to do certain end game bosses without losing damage from AP. i.e certain classes cannot survive without being very high leveled

Old players will always have an advantage over new players due to them having more time to accumlate exp money etc. Its the nature of any MMORPG, and ap resets is just one facet of many that require time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    cscpx

cscpx Timer

May 17, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    cscpx
    Priest
    Animals
    yeah of course, players who have been here a while have the advantage of having accumulated stuff for longer.

Were AP resets cheaper in the past ? Did older players have an advantage in this way ?

Or by keeping it the same would it then be fair to all ?

6. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    no, ap resets have always been 3.1k NX. there's a reason this is pretty controversial as it technically gives an advantage to newer players that older players did not have.

7. OP
    OP
    cscpx

cscpx Timer

May 17, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    cscpx
    Priest
    Animals
    and what reasonable arguments are there that would make it logical to reduce the price of AP resets ?

8. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    Other than spoon feeding new players and making the server easier, wondering this as well.

9. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    The arguments are mostly that it's tedious to wait for the nx to buy the ap resets and that it wasn't an intended mechanic in gms.

If you want full detail on both parties' arguments, the other thread has them all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    5:34 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    You're viewing it through the lens of "old player vs new player", but that wasn't the initial approach. If you read back on the threads you'll see the reason behind the change is the idea that hp washing is poor game design and to alleviate the problem it should be made easier/faster.

When you're starting out in this server and thinking about which job to pick your choices seem very limited because of the much harder time you will have if you want to be able to enjoy the full game AND play the job you like. So people will either resort to starting out with a bishop (snorefest), pick the job they like and have a rough time because they want to wash or just not play at all.

That's what I think happened anyways.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    Pls don't start on this thread too...

12. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    ? I'm just answering his question. Not trying to start anything.

13. Glissando

Glissando Pink Teddy

Jul 17, 2017
    Male
    11:34 PM
    Quaver
    Fighter
    It is indeed a tricky situation to solve due to the inherent game design flaw, remaining status quo is the safest and most conservative approach in my honest opinion.
    If AP resets were to be made harder/easier (going either directions), it will definitely tip the equilibrium.
    I feel that the best way to ease this situation is to just reward players with AP resets during event seasons (just like how we can trade 60 shiny pearls for an AP reset in this current event). Basically, there has to be some kind of additional effort if a player wishes to enjoy a handful more AP resets. Also, there's an inherent limit to how much one can get out of this event due to the nature (eg. relying on community effort) of the event which I find is a rather good balance the event designers have put in place.

14. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    oh my nig you're in toronto let's hang

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    cscpx

cscpx Timer

May 17, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    cscpx
    Priest
    Animals
    Yea not trying to start any debates, just want some objective information.

What is the motivation behind reducing AP reset price ?

So far there is no reason.

There have been no changes made which affect how obtaining AP resets is any different than it has ever been - which means there is no reason to re-balance things by means of price reduction, etc.

Unless there is any inherent changes which prompt AP reset prices to differ, then there really isn't any justification to change anything.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    The staff changed it's opinion. As for why washing should become easier see: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/the-future-of-maplelegends.10108/

17. OP
    OP
    cscpx

cscpx Timer

May 17, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    cscpx
    Priest
    Animals
    "The things I really want improve over the coming time is making the server less tedious, while keeping the difficulty of the server, in hope to find a sweet spot for majorly of the users that look for a hard server, but still a fast paced one." - Kim

"Tedious:
    -Forced boat rides - there's no difficulty in this. You are only waiting, which slows down your pace of playing
    -Getting specific hair styles from EXP coupons - once again there's no difficulty in this, its all about luck
    -Rolling the dice - once again you are tediously rolling the dice until you finally get the roll you want
    -HP washing - this feature has mixed opinions for a lot of people, but in end you need vote for months to buy limited AP resets, and there's no way to speed this up
    -General Gachapon or Gachapon exclusive items"

ok so based on this logic, it's very likely they received complains ( takes too long to HP wash ).

HP washing objectively takes advantage of the game mechanics and makes things easier at a lower level - the only catch is that this takes more time to wash( this means that it affects difficulty, which Kim does not want to impact too much ).

Therefor, objectively speaking, if Kim wants to keep the difficulty the same, HP washing should remain relatively unchanged since HP washing makes the game easier. Yes its tedious and annoying, but that doesn't make it wrong or bad - it's perfectly balanced in my opinion.

If you want early level advantage to be able to boss, you have to wait in order to make that happen. Why should someone be entitled to make a new character, abuse the system and get everything they would have had to wait many many months in order to level up to the appropriate level to earn fairly ? That's called altering the difficulty, and if it was made possible to wash really easily, this would affect the game in a way that leaves no options for non-hp wash players - HP washing would have to become the normal build which lets face it - it's not an actual mechanic of the game and therefor becomes as lame as using speed hacks, or vac or some other form of cheating in order to keep up with the rest of the players - which IMO would harm the authenticity and value of MapleLegends.

Imagine in Pokemon if everyone had to clone rare candies in order to reach lvl 100 fast enough and use every exploit in order to perfect their pokemon for battle ?

Who would want to play in an environment where everyone basically has to cheat in order to compete ?

It makes the game less desirable and taints it in a negative way.

I'm not saying people should or shouldn't HP wash, but if they want early level advantage, then the balance is that they should be made to wait.

That's balance.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. gurkha

gurkha Horny Mushroom

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    isreal
    6:34 PM
    Gurkha
    Assassin
    dijbouti
    I dont like the way you gm guys put this all ap reset issue on hold..
    I cant play play my charecter now cuz i dont know if ap resets will get cheaper in the future. You said it will not be change for now but how longwill that be ? if i will buy ap resets for 3.1 and later you will lower the price u fked my time of voting

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    8:34 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I actually tried to ask Kimberly what her stance was on this. Basically I just want to know whether they want
    1. No change
    2. Change
    3. Undecided

If their response is no change, you should just buy the ap resets. If their response is either change or undecided, you should save your vote cash to buy AP resets later.

I never got a response, so I'm assuming their stance is undecided, which means that we should just save vote cash and not spend it until we get a clear statement from them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1