1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The state of the economy due to vote abuse.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shrek, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Shrek

Shrek Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    New Yawwwkkkkkk
    12:57 AM
    NurseJoy
    Lately, a lot of users have been banned for vote abuse.
    Coincidentally, I've noticed a lot of scrolls & gach equips going down in price as well, and the ban for vote abuse is only 7 days.
    I think it may be necessary to ban for a longer time to discourage the use of vote abuse even more, I don't think that 7 days is enough for a first offense.
    What is stopping them from doing it all over again?
    I don't know how many of you will agree with me, but I think it's sad that people need to stoop to levels of doing this just to get ahead of others.

Leave your thoughts & opinions below.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    6:57 AM
    Moderator Post
    Removed the part of the post where fingers were point, since I know the topic will be derailed otherwise anyway.

Feel free discuss rest though.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    Shrek

Shrek Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    New Yawwwkkkkkk
    NurseJoy
    Fair enough, sorry

4. exenet

exenet Slime

Jun 1, 2017
    Male
    I think the 7 day ban on first offense is good for minor instances of vote abuse, i.e. 2 accounts voting for a few days to a week. When it comes to more major instances though, there definitely needs a more strict policy in place, in case some people have been doing it for a long time and haven't yet been caught. If I recall all of their nx is removed but all the nx used into gach or whatever is already sunk and kept on the account which is in fact an unfair edge and drastically affects the economy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    I find the 2nd offense punishment to be kind of bullshit. It basically says you can vote abuse all you want onc, get caught, then do it again, get caught and still have all of the benefits w/o getting a perm banned.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Shrek

Shrek Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    New Yawwwkkkkkk
    NurseJoy
    Thank you!!

7. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
  8. Number32

Number32 Skelegon Retired Staff

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    Vote abuse wouldnt be a problem if staff actively kept track of it and banned accordingly :shrug:

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    Shrek

Shrek Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    New Yawwwkkkkkk
    NurseJoy
    Vote abuse wouldn't be a problem if people didn't do it to begin with, kind of a dumb reason for you to disagree & blame the staff for this problem.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. exenet

exenet Slime

Jun 1, 2017
    Male
    I'd be inclined to think with a larger number of people playing on the server it becomes more difficult to keep track of everyone. Not to mention some people will use crafty methods like vpns and stuff. It may have gotten worse lately because some people will use the noise from the recent population growth to slip in some vote abuse thinking they'll go undetected.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    1:57 AM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    What about royals2pass on gtop though? TriHard

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bertachop

Bertachop Blue Snail

May 26, 2017
    Bertachop
    Salty boy

13. wokkie

wokkie Mushmom

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Banned
    That is impossible to beat when some people vote 10+ times on Royals.
    1st ban should be 14days and second one perma.
    if somebody does major vote abuse just perma them instantly.

Vote abusing fucks up the economy and should be punished harder

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Number32

Number32 Skelegon Retired Staff

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    Literally not a clue what yourw trying to say? Obviously its not gonna be a problem if people dont do it but they do. So staff needs to act accordingly. And I can tell you with experience of being on staff that that does not happen.

It's not that hard to keep track of and VPN wouldnt really change much either. Theres multiple ways to check.

15. OP
    OP
    Shrek

Shrek Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    New Yawwwkkkkkk
    NurseJoy
    so, tell me why you disagree with my post?
    I feel like GM's who are good friends with certain people on servers get special treatment, mostly because if they DO vote abuse, feelings get in the way with bans, and this is why this whole "7 day first ban" is in effect.
    There is no reason why anyone should have a second chance if they vote abuse.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  16. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    9:57 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    My opinion on how vote abuse impacts the economy:
    Vote abuse results in surplus nx cash that is typically used on gachapon - resulting the abuser to potentially get rare items. I think this is good for the economy because it turns maplelegends from a game of scarcity into a game of surplus.

It makes the economy healthier because prices drop, your mesos buy more goods, and you can easily find what you need / want on the market. Yes, it does take away a challenging aspect of legends, (where it is suppose to be difficult to find good equips), but it overall makes things more accessible to everyone.

Essentially all of these vote abusers make it so that when I go into the FM looking for a specific item, I can find multiple of them for a cheap price. Is this better or worse than an economy where I go into the FM for a specific item, and find that it is not in a single shop?

Perhaps a better economy is one where prices are higher, but items are still in FM. The problem is that its hard to find a balance. However, I certainly prefer our current economy to one of scarcity.

My opinion on what should be done about it:
    The staff can go ahead and do whatever they want, including their current policy about just banning for 1 week. However, I think this is only enforceable in the case of "novice" vote abusers.

For example, how would the staff catch a vote abuser who does the following?
    1. Vote on two completely different accounts with unrelated email addresses, usernames and passwords
    2. Vote only using completely different different IP addresses
    3. Vote on separate distinct times each day on the accounts
    4. Effectively Launder their proceeds from gachapon via a series of mules before ultimately reaching their main

I don't think its possible, (or extremely hard) to catch a crafty vote abuser. As a result, I think that what the staff is doing right now is the OPTIMAL solution, simply discouraging vote abuse by asking nicely and issuing a moderate punishment if caught.

If I'm wrong about the above, then all the staff needs to do is enforce their rules.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  17. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    1:57 AM
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    The disagreement comes from the fact that the staff is selective with who they ban for vote abuse, I also disagree with the permanent ban for 1st offense. I wouldn't mind it being 14 days ban and then account ban as long as it was applied to everyone and not just whoever the staff feel deserve to get banned.
    The problem is that it is not, only a select few get banned and then it's done whenever the staff feels like punishing those people for something other than the vote abuse itself.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    uh oh LOL

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. exenet

exenet Slime

Jun 1, 2017
    Male
    I will tell you now, one of the reasons I left royals is for the exact reason you're stating. That kind of economy in fact isn't healthy, because it will lead to almost everything becoming worthless. Sure prices drop in comparison, but its no different than having easy farming rates to easily afford just about anything. And if this behavior is kept up with just slaps on wrists, things will only get worse in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    9:57 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Whether you like it or not, prices dropping is what vote abuse causes. How would you suggest that this gets fixed?