1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Duplicate Report Horntail ice attacks are registered as physical attacks

Discussion in 'Report Bugs' started by Nicholas, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    3:09 AM
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    Description of the bug: (optional screenshot/video):
    I'm not sure if this is actually a bug, but when horntail's left head uses its' ice attack (which appears to be a magic attack), the damage is not affected by drk/bish elemental resistance to magic damage, but it is affected by invincible's physical resist. This is not a skill problem, as elemental resistance works correctly for horn tail's fire-based attacks.
    What is supposed to happen?:
    Assuming that the attack is a magic attack, this should be reversed: invincible should not affect the damage but elemental resistance should affect it.

Where did you find and/or notice this bug?: In Horntail's main body
    A step-by-step guide to re-producing this bug (optional): Get hit by it with a bishop with max elemental resistance with and without invincible.
    Extra information (optional):
    I'm not sure if it's a bug, because this attack has been this way as long as I've been doing horntail, but it is really weird. I'm have mixed opinions on whether or not horntail would be a better experience if it were "fixed" (as it would make it basically an easy pass for all bishops, and HT is easy enough as it is).

2. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    12:09 PM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    It's actually the left head, not the right one

Regardless, it's been reported before and brushed off as "that's how it was in the old days". Of course, we shouldn't just keep the bugs that "used to be there", but to be fair there's a lot of stuff going on and the devs are all volunteers

3. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    6:09 AM
    DMsRebirth
    They look more like rocks to me

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    o, I suck with directions lol (always and forever saying the wrong one :p, I’ll edit my post). Also thanks for noting this has been reviewed (I suck at searching for these things in the forums).

5. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    If the left head's "ice" attack were changed to a magic attack, that would greatly lower the HP threshold for getting 1 hit by that attack right?

Currently as it stands, without magic guard/invincible like over 5k HP is needed to avoid being 1 hit from that ice attack because it's physical. If this is a bug, the problem that I see for me and other experienced bishops is that death by this attack in particular can truly be unavoidable sometimes - if the timing is perfectly bad between a dispel and this particular attack, and there are no wings to jump into to get iframes from, we can literally die when we're prepared and spamming magic guard (or even if we time the magic guard as best we can with the buffs disappearing). Obviously, we could be trash bishops and get wyvern/cornian "shields" to ensure we survive, but that's a very suboptimal solution when there are many body parts left and we're doing big overall damage with our ultimate. It's not reasonable to stop attacking for up to several minutes to wait for dispel to pass.

I wouldn't bring this up if I myself haven't died and witnessed bishops die dozens of times due to perfectly bad timing. I feel that this happens more often than you'd think because of the combination and timing of the attacks. And this is a problem I bring up because death by this left head ice attack in the cases I'm talking about is not a player skill issue (though I'm aware we could just wash more), so it would be huge if it were changed to a magic attack so that the HP threshold for getting 1 hit is lowered. I'm at like 3.9k with MoN and my NT wand, and I've been HP washing mine as much as possible for a long time. But with only 6 HP per wash, 5k HP is so far away. I just think many bishops would appreciate if this ice attack were changed to a magic attack because elemental resistance is passive and would lower the HP threshold for getting 1 hit by this attack without buffs.

I definitely understand if this change is never made - it's a pretty niche scenario in which it would make a difference, but it would be huge for HT bishops. And I'm sure most people will say the solution is "just wash more lul" but I figured I may as well share my thoughts on this. I'm actually all for making HT more difficult to clear in general, but again my problem is that death by this attack is not a player skill issue. It's a really shitty feeling to die and leave your team bishopless when you're on point but the victim of bad timing - you can see the dispel animation, tell your team, magic guard, and still die.

edit: I'm very sorry to tag, but I would love to hear some staff member thoughts in regard to whether or not this is a change we could see implemented in the future. AlyoshaAlyosha NiseNise FishyFishy

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    12:09 PM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Plus, you know, it's an ice magic attack and should therefore (logically) be elemental

• Like Like x 1
  7. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Blu301Blu301

Technically it is a player skill issue.

If wings are up, you can jump and take touch damage for iframes. If wings are not up (this should be late in main body if this is the case), you can use genesis from the top platform and watch for the dispel animation. When it comes you can also watch for head A's attack animation to see if it is going to be a death combo (dispel + head A attack same time). If it is, you purposely jump into head A to take touch damage for iframes to avoid the combo.

Now, I do realize that this is extremely try-hard and takes significant effort / skill to consistently accomplish. It's also easy to mess up.

This is why HP washing a bishop is so good - you don't have to go through ridiculous lengths to survive ridiculous situations.

8. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    I mentioned you can wing jump while they're up. The situations I'm pinpointing are the unavoidable ones when the wings are down, which is why I called it a niche siuation. I don't think it's reasonable on a lot of teams for bishops to climb top after the wings drop, most bishops are wyvern aggro so you'd be directing the darks toward your team on the top left every time they spawn. Most bishops also can't 1 shot darks since that's like 1600+ magic. And many teams don't run with mules

9. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    The one time I tried that I didn't react fast enough and jumped after DP hit

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Loon

Loon Slime

May 17, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Krypton, Oink
    Couldn't have said it better myself and I completely agree with this. Bumping to see if we can get a response on this from staff. Thanks!