1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Timeless/Reverse Weapons Balancing Issue

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by cyeoh1120, Oct 31, 2020.

1. cyeoh1120

cyeoh1120 King Slime

Jul 29, 2020
    9:22 AM
    MapleBoy
    I/L Arch Mage
    GucciGang
    Hello All,

I'm writing this thread to bring up some balancing issues with the release of the Timeless and Reverse weapons. I believe that with the current Item EXP Levelling system, they have completely outclass Neo Tokyo Weapons in every single way by a HUGE margin.

Let me give you an example. Below are some of the previous potential "end-game" perfect claws (clean):
    1. Red Craven (Dex req: 140): 51 W.A.
    2. Dragon Green/Purple Sleve (Dex req: 150): 55 W.A.
    3. Flairgrave/Speargrave (Dex req: 155): 57 W.A.
    4. Reverse (Dex req: 160): 56 W.A. (Max bonus: +6 W.A., +6 LUK) ~ 63.5 W.A.
    5. Timeless (Dex req: 160): 58 W.A. (Max bonus: +10 W.A., + 10 LUK) ~ 70.5 W.A. (Edit: updated from +6 level upgrades to +5 level upgrades)

Note: with the use of high attack pots, the LUK:WA ratio is approximately 4:1.

Here's the issue, in the past, every weapon upgrade will provide you approximately 2 W.A. with the sacrifice of 5 DEX. I do not have an issue with releasing Reverse/Timeless equips, however this is way too overpowered in my opinion. This essentially make Neo Tokyo weapons (which should've been comparable to them) a joke. Besides that, they are trade-able even upon equipping which makes them even more outrageous.

So here's some suggestions that I have:
    1. Nerf the base weapon attack more while maintaining its trade-able status after equipping. For instance, reduce the max attack for Timeless to 52 W.A. base. I suggested this because with the 5 upgrades, on average, you can get +5 W.A. and + 5 LUK. This will allow timeless weapons to get to 57W.A. + 5 additional LUK on average (which is approximately 58.25 W.A.). If you get extremely lucky, it may get to 62 W.A. + 10 LUK (which is approximately 64.5 W.A.). This is still way too overpowered in my opinion as people can keep on continue with trial-and-error.

2. Remove the item levelling system while maintaining its trade-able status after equipping. This route is what I would prefer. Make the changes to make the weapons comparable to the other "end-game" weapons (i.e.: 5 DEX for 2 W.A. increment). This will not completely make Neo Tokyo gears irrelevant as an "end-game" weapon. I would suggest make a balance to both Timeless/Reverse to both require 160 DEX and have a max attack of 59 W.A. (Like how flairgrave were being nerfed to match speargrave in terms of DEX requirement).

3. Remain everything the same and make them untrade-able after equipping. This will force the investors to think twice before committing into investing a Timeless/Reverse weapon. You may get higher attack as compared to Neo Tokyo gears, but you will no longer be able to sell your Timeless/Reverse weapons upon equipping them. This makes Neo Tokyo gears as a viable option as some people would like to switch class after playing for awhile as they can trade their weapons. This will also make it hard for the "sweaty" players to get perfect weapon as they essentially have to sell their imperfect weapons to NPC (i.e.: Not getting +10 WA from item levelling).

These are the options that I've thought of, and of course I am open to any better suggestions if anyone can think of one. Just thought that I need to point out how imbalance this is as of right now.

Thanks for reading guys! :)

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    6:22 AM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Hi,
    I don't know if you just read the latest discord announcement but we have confirmed that these equips will be "untradeable after equipping" in the future. Please check discord for more info.
    Mirrors

3. Duckys

Duckys Nightshadow Retired Staff

Feb 27, 2019
    Duckys
    Bishop
    Suggestion 3 has been taken into consideration and will be implemented.

4. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Weapons level 5 times, not 6. And getting +2 attack rolls 5 times isn't viable for anyone, the probability is (.333 ^ 5), or .41%, so whoever chases that should be prepared to try to level hundreds of perfect weapons. Even getting a claw to 67 attack will take dozens of perfect claws to level, which will no doubt take many months to farm. It's also necessary to kill PB to access either the crafting or the weapons themselves, which in itself will be a frustratingly difficult task, so having the content be powerful is how PB continues to be a rewarding boss to kill for the end game. It's bad to compare NT to PB because we already know what happens when that's the scaling used, from release NT was more or less dead content after a couple months, and it took buffs before people really considered doing it regularly.

5. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    9:22 PM
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    Screenshot 2020-11-01 at 1.30.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2020-11-01 at 1.30.41 PM.png

Taking into account the above changes to the original Lampion, a clean REVERSE lampion will have 56wa max and 4 levels.
    I doubt it won't be too difficult to try and hit +1 wa from one of the levels.
    If so, that REVERSE Lampion is now 57wa - similar to a max att NT claw, not taking into account the other 3 levels and LUK progression.

Requirement to craft:
    - 45 piece of time - no doubt might be difficult to hunt, but as we all know, it is just a matter of time before someone does, and ToT is an open map free-for-all
    - NT claw - which u can just buy a trash one
    - some ores

Compare this to the arduous task to complete prequests in NT, perform daily bossing to collect 4500 coins, and getting the ingredients (no doubt plants may be cheaper now), crafting a REVERSE weapon seems much easier than making an NT claw.

There is a reason why a 57wa is still expensive in the current market because 4500 coins is not actually easy to obtain, and crafting service ranges from 35-45m just for coins.

I don't have anything against TIMELESS weapons as they are the final end-game reward that requires actual Time Rocks from pinkbean, but REVERSE gear crafting seems too available that NeoTokyo weapons will pretty much be overshadowed pretty soon.

I like how TIMELESS is released and its the reward for killing PinkBean but I think REVERSE weapons are pretty unnecessary.
    Either remove them or make it harder to craft. That way, players are left with two options:
    1. Scroll a craven/sleve/NT as usual to do regular bossing before taking on PB at end-game stage
    2. Buy a Timeless Lampion or Time Rock for a ridiculous price when they enter the market

This way, cravens/sleve/NT weapons are still made COMPLETELY relevant to gaming prior to PinkBean stage, and no dead content will happen. Otherwise everyone will just flood ToT now and its just a matter of time before REVERSE weapons flood the market and NT weapons will just die. I don't think that is a necessary future.

DISCLAIMER: no, I did not WS a +7 NT claw, nor I have a perfect clean claw for sale. I do not gain financially or benefit from this suggestion at all. I just don't want to see dead content unnecessarily. TIMELESS weapons are now the new end-goal, rewarded by killing the toughest boss in the game now, at a scale much higher than Horntail. They are untradeable once levelled, which promotes exclusivity.

REVERSE weapons are really, unnecessary, and spoils the current stable market of other weapons in the game.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    I'm just going to copy paste what I posted in another thread. It is very easy to get a reverse weapon that outperforms a NT weapon. With the current attack range of reverse weapons you will end up with a claw stronger than an NT weapon with a ~40% probability. This means you're looking at about 2-3 attempts for most people to get this end game claw.

They already released the claw ranges within that pink bean thread. Let's ignore how broken timeless weapons can be because at least they are gated by pink bean at the moment. If we shift our focus to reverse weapons, to me it feels like they are still overtuned. A reverse lampion has a range of 51-56. Let's stick to averages here. On average your lampion will end up 53-54 att and will gain +3 att over the course of leveling 3 times. This means you will end up with a 56-57 att claw, if you are slightly lucky then GG you have already outpaced the power curve of an NT claw, something that cost >800m just 2 days ago. The cost of these claws seems to be negligible as all you need is a shitty NT weapon and the time to farm 45 time pieces.

On average a reverse weapon will already be as strong as a perfect NT weapon. To me, that seems problematic. Crafting NT weapons results in a 9% chance to end up with something with perf w.atk (lets just ignore the luk stat for the sake of argument and if my numbers are wrong here please correct me; I just assumed it works the same as dragon weapon crafting). I feel like if the probability for a reverse weapon to turn out >NT weapon was 20% or lower, then yeah you could make a case for balance. At this point, perf NT weapons seem to have been made completely worthless when you have a >40% chance that any random reverse lampion you craft will end up better than an NT claw.

The truth is you don't need to min max in order to end up with a reverse weapon that is stronger than an NT weapon. If you look at the numbers it is simply just too easy; chances are you will end up with something slightly better or even significantly better with just 2 craft attempts.

EDIT: Link to probability table: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vo8nzhNFIi9rtoxpkoSCAnLieYRe1O7gGF_01rMJFKg/edit?usp=sharing

Looks like 40% chance you will end up with something stronger than an NT weapon just by crafting a reverse lampion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MeatSlam

MeatSlam Mushmom

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    7:22 AM
    MeatSlam
    Page
    Just wanted to say y'all are significantly underestimating how long/expensive getting 45 pieces of time will be. It was just an initial test but I grinded at obv4 for about an hour and found 0. A friend on my BL had similar results.

If Pieces of Time are 1-2 per hour (highly doubt it will be any where close to 3), then it will take 20-40 hours to farm enough to make 1 weapon. 4500 coins is much much much much much easier to get then 20-40 hours of grinding not to mention you need a NT claw to begin with.

8. OP
    OP
    cyeoh1120

cyeoh1120 King Slime

Jul 29, 2020
    MapleBoy
    I/L Arch Mage
    GucciGang
    The grinding isn't much of an issue once everyone started creating Taunt mules. This increase the drop rates by 40%.

Also, I doubt that hard core "sweaty" players (I myself am considered) will find it hard to grind for 20-40 hours with a probability of >40% getting a better gear than the perfect NT claw. Statistically, you only need 50-100 hours to get a gear better than a perfect NT claw. You need to take into account of the time needed to get a 57 W.A. NT claw to compare with the amount of time needed to craft a Reverse Lampion. Assuming you get 300 coins/hr (assuming you don't abuse MC in boss runs), you will need 15 hours to craft ONE NT claw, with the probability of 9% to get a max W.A. claw. Statistically, this will require you to grind for 167 hours.

Just laying out the numbers here, not trying to discredit your thought process. It is not as easy as you think to get a perfect W.A. NT gear.

9. MeatSlam

MeatSlam Mushmom

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    MeatSlam
    Page
    You make some valid points but you really can't dismiss piece of time drop rates without testing. You can buy NT crafting service for 35-45m and as it stands right now pieces of time will likely go for at least 5-10m EA (no one is going to grind in a suboptimal exp low drop rate spot and sell for less). That means in order to craft one reverse you are looking at likely 200-400m + a nt claw. I'll be happy to eat my words if pieces of time are cheap but the drop rate is too low and the demand will be too high. Add on the fact you can't sell any of the claws you scroll and it seems pretty close to balanced imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. isamelon

isamelon Mushmom

Jan 15, 2019
    Female
    Isamelon
    Corsair
    DerpFam
    Not sure how the interaction is, but you should be able to sell scrolled pb weapons as long as you scroll it with that skill~ (I think)

11. MeatSlam

MeatSlam Mushmom

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    MeatSlam
    Page
    I'm not sure if that's what the devs intended but even if you can do that it's still not the best since 52-54 att reverse could easily end up with less than 57 total attack if you don't level before hand.

12. OP
    OP
    cyeoh1120

cyeoh1120 King Slime

Jul 29, 2020
    MapleBoy
    I/L Arch Mage
    GucciGang
    Those are good points. However, NT doesn't only require you to farm for the coins, it also requires you to farm for the Stones and Plants. Those drops IIRC have an extremely low dropping rate (at least in the past). I do not do NT, so I could be wrong. Those were selling for 50m - 150m each in the past before the supply matches the demand. Of course, if you are an early adopter, you are going to have to pay an extremely high price since there aren't many supplies to begin with before it starts to catch up to the demands.

13. MeatSlam

MeatSlam Mushmom

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    MeatSlam
    Page
    Prices may go up (unlikely) but pre patch the stones were 1-4m and the plants 5-10m. Not much. I also don't think supply will ever meet demand for reverse because like I said farming tot is pretty bad. NT was shitty to farm as well but it was offset by boss coins/drops.

14. OP
    OP
    cyeoh1120

cyeoh1120 King Slime

Jul 29, 2020
    MapleBoy
    I/L Arch Mage
    GucciGang
    That is because the supply has surpassed the demand. Those Stones/Plants were selling at 50m-150m a piece. You can ask the early adopters (players from 2019) how much they bought these for in the past.

The purpose that I bring this up is to let you know that eventually the supply/demand curve will be smoothen out, it will not cost you 200-400m to craft a single weapon (unless inflation happens). The crafting cost will no longer cost as much (UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE ONE OF THE EARLY ADOPTERS).

15. MeatSlam

MeatSlam Mushmom

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    MeatSlam
    Page
    I disagree. The demand will be constant for a long time and not many people are going to farm tot if the mesos per hour is less than selling leech (which it easily will be even if the pieces sell for 5-10m). I'm not really sure where you think this supply is going to come from. Demand will be insane for a long time.

Edit: and the reason Nano plants dropped in price wasn't because supply finally met demand - it's because they buffed the drop rate.

16. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    2:22 PM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    I believe we'll have more hindsight in the following weeks, though after reading this thread I personally think it would've been better if Reversed gear wasn't released and only Timeless was. This way only people who actually defeat PB would have access to a deserving and differentiated from NT, endgame gear.

Reverse does seem easier than NT, doesn't require much besides owl+mesos for NT weapon and enough time (or again, mesos) to get Pieces of Time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MeatSlam

MeatSlam Mushmom

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    MeatSlam
    Page
    I'm not sure how you could read this entire thread and come to the conclusion that reverse is easier to get than NT. Its not even in the same ballpark.

18. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    It is easier. There’s already been like 40 pieces of time in FM today. PoT is the only limiting factor for the craft. There’s tons of low attack speargrave/flairgraves around for fairly cheap.

19. MeatSlam

MeatSlam Mushmom

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    MeatSlam
    Page
    Yea 40 for 5-10m EA. Also low att graves will def go up in price no question.

20. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    7:07 PM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    2 hours in I’m at 1 piece of time. I really do not think it’s easier.