1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Clarification on Mapowner Mechanics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aelyssia, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Aelyssia

Aelyssia Blue Snail

Dec 15, 2020
    Female
    6:25 PM
    Aelyssia
    Cleric
    Daikon
    Hello, I'm a new player to this server. Myself (lvl 80/81) and a chief bandit (lvl 84) were duoing Dreamy Ghosts, and this meant that we were unable to get map ownership as we're too low leveled. However, we were able to clear the mobs effectively with meso explosion and were clearly not just using mules to hold the map (which I understand is the primary reason for having a level minimum in obtaining map ownership). On two separate occasions in the span of about 30 minutes we had someone come in, take map owner, and asked us to leave. The first was not aware that you had to be of a certain level to take mapowner and he left after we explained the situation. The second however, was extremely rude and told us to cc, even after witnessing us do a full rotation with the Dreamy Ghosts.

I don't even know if I can report these players for griefing as it seems that the ToS refers to mapownership as the be all and end all. I would appreciate some clarification on if there's anything we can do to prevent this happening in the future, or if there is any action that can be taken on these players who are weaponizing this mapowner technicality.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    3:25 PM
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    6:25 AM
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    The only way to justify yourself right now is to do a video recording of your grind session.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    10:25 AM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Yes unfortunately this is the only thing that may strengthen your case.

If you're on windows 10 press Windows Logo + G (it may take a minute to load) to open up the Game Bar and record your screen.

Alternatively just record with a mobile phone and upload it somewhere so you can share in the report abuse section of the forums: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?forums/report-abuse.90/

To fill you in so far nothing official has been raised but i presume its not because they aren't bothered but its because im sure they're working very hard behind the scenes and whatnot.

It's a bit of a shame but these people do exist so we can only do so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
  6. OP
    OP
    Aelyssia

Aelyssia Blue Snail

Dec 15, 2020
    Female
    Aelyssia
    Cleric
    Daikon
    Thank you all for the responses.

Glad to know that this issue was raised earlier. It's not difficult for me to record our grinding sessions at Himes but it's a reactive approach - if someone were to come in, take mapowner and ask us to leave, we can't stop them in the moment even if we are recording. The most we can do is report the individual with the recording after and hope they are punished accordingly for it. However, our grind session is still interrupted since I can't lure the mobs to one side for the CB to bomb with someone interfering.

I'm a little frustrated because I reported these 2 incidents using @GM, and I don't know if it was because my explanation of the situation was unclear, but this is the response I got back:

mapowner.png

There is no mention of what I can do to protect my map when I am too low leveled to obtain map ownership... I would love an official staff response so I know if I'm just wasting my time grinding at Himes knowing that anyone can come in and take my map without any repercussion.

7. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    7:25 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    This is just nothing but shame.

I do know it's prohibited to publicize someone so can't ask that guys IGN but honestly, I really hope to know him so I can avoid him.
    Well, this servers userpool is so small so we'll meet eventually I assume.

As I mentioned in previous post related with himes mapowner, I strongly hope to lower himes mapowner level requirement.

Added : because of x-mas event, himes map became much more crowded than before. I do hope high lvl players respect low lvl grinders in there, instead of abusing hole of system and grief them. Since they're on stage where you were, and your potential friends in future, PLEASE don't let them feel bad and leave. It's really sad and shameful to see.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  8. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Just assume that their official response is to not grind maps that you can't get mapowner for. Normally during non-event, himes maps are pretty empty, so this wasn't an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Aelyssia

Aelyssia Blue Snail

Dec 15, 2020
    Female
    Aelyssia
    Cleric
    Daikon
    Yes, looks like I'll be avoiding himes from now on. It just isn't worth the hassle. Echoing the sentiment from the thread from last year, the level minimum for himes should be decreased as currently it's reflecting 10 levels under Black Crow (so lvl 105), but leech level is 95... I find it ridiculous that even at 95 I cannot obtain map owner unless I party with someone 105+.

10. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I agree, the map requirement is ridiculous for Himes. I had the same unfortunate thing happen where people came in and took ownership from me because I was level 104 at the time. I have been following up with my previous post mentioned in a link above but haven't gotten a response directly. Last I heard from Mirrors is that it was being looked into but the coding for it was not a simple fix.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    After level 100 I just bought leech and never really "grinded" on my own because of how abusive mapowner is. Can't really even play the game unless you're in a party like a PQ or you're at a lower leveled map.. whats even more annoying is that if you buy leech and the person there loses their mapowner while in a trade for the purchase of a leech..

Ex: Uses Genesis gets issued a trade, accepts trade in trade for about 10 seconds mapownership disappears a player logs into same map kills ONE thing, you lose map.

Its really just poor coding and there needed to be an @mapblock <user> but when I've mentioned that in the past people said "I'll kick the Night Lord in the party and mapblock them in Horntail lul" and had A LOT of dislikes because of it. if someone is in your map and you have mapownership and you use command above it shouldn't be an issue if that person gets attack/magic cancel trying to attack monsters in your map.

But humans are humans and won't accept how good of a mechanic like @mapblock can be and how its uses can be a lifesaver when having a map.

Edit: Reactions don't lie.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I'm confused what you even mean. You get 5 minutes of mapowner every time you kill a mob. If a leecher loses mapowner, it's because he d/c'd or was just afk. If a person attacks in your map while you have mapowner, it's already reportable. If you lose mapowner, anyone should be able to claim it. I'm not sure what this command would do. Mapowner is already coded perfectly for it's intended use case, you just have some notable exceptions (himes, anego, levi) on area boss maps.

13. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    I have thought about this extensively and there is no elegant way to fix it at the moment without overhauling mapowner's core functionalities or doing other difficult coding work. I realize this is an issue that has plagued our issues and it hurts me to see our community behave in such a toxic manner... ;-;

(My own opinion is this post btw - just clarifying I'm not speaking for the entirety of staff)

I don't think mapowner itself is a bad command and has done a lot of good in prevent ks wars break out on the server. It works as intended and you get 5 minutes of leeway if you stop attacking monsters. There may be minor scuffles but it seems to work out for the most part although there could be improvements (such as passing mapowner automatically to a party member when the mapowner leaves).

Unfortunately in this situation the highest level mob (a miniboss) is just TOO high level. I've pondered several possible solutions that won't require a difficult fix but will have to think about the feasibility especially given our developers have a lot to do on their plate and this fix is no small task.

Either way I wanted to say thank you for bringing it up again and that we are actively looking into this. It is my hope that it is fixed for next event. I'm very very sorry about your experience. :[

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  14. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    When someone is selling leech they kill something then trade or get traded by someone buying leech, the trade acts as if its its own map and you(or the leech attacker's) mapownership gets removed thus making someone else take the map freely.

That is what I mean.

Ex:
    Player A - Kills monster for mapowner
    Player B - Trades attacker selling leech (A and B vise-versa)
    Player A - Attacker/Leech seller accepts trade mapownership goes away
    Player C - Can freely take map due to no mapownership

15. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    We haven't been able to reproduce this. Can you show a video of this happening so we can fix it?

16. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Its random

17. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I just tried it in a bunch of configurations and couldn't reproduce. Never heard of this bug

18. IHateApple

IHateApple Horny Mushroom

Dec 19, 2017
    IHateApple
    Dragon Knight
    The mapowner has 5 mins timer, prob your trade took longer than 5 mins which you will lose mapowner. I never heard this happenes to my friends or me yet. o.o

19. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    6:25 AM
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    Can’t mapowner be coded to the current highest mob level in the map?

Eg. If crow isn’t spawning, then Himes should be the highest mob in the map.

20. IHateApple

IHateApple Horny Mushroom

Dec 19, 2017
    IHateApple
    Dragon Knight
    still crow is the highest mob

• Agree Agree x 1