1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

ML Prenuptial Agreements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aussietinask, Jun 7, 2021.

1. aussietinask

aussietinask Horny Mushroom Retired Staff

Feb 26, 2020
    Male
    9:53 PM
    Prenup.jpg

What are pre-nuptial agreements?

Pre-nuptial agreements (“prenup”) are an agreement signed between a couple who are about to get married, and sets out what will happen in the case the parties are divorced. How detailed a prenup is completely depends on the couple. Some common issues highlighted in a prenup are how to divide assets in a divorce, what assets to not include into asset division (often assets accrued before the marriage), and describe what assets after the marriage would be considered as shared assets.

Enforceability of prenups

Being trained in law in Hong Kong, I can only comment on the law in Hong Kong, and UK, where Hong Kong draws much of its case law from. The case of Radmacher v Granatino [2010] 3 WLR 1367 suggests that a Court is NOT bound to follow a prenup, but that unless there is reason to depart from it, it would follow the terms as set out in the prenup. Some reasons to depart from a prenup include duress when signing the agreement, lack of understanding of the terms (usually remedied by seeking legal advice), or a change of circumstance during the marriage.

The basis of prenups is based on contract. Two individuals enter an agreement, to restrict their freedom of choice in the future willingly to each other.

Why can ML make use of prenups?

I do not think it is appropriate for there to be 50:50 asset division in ML, as is the starting point in the courts in Hong Kong.

However, what does happen often in ML marriages is that couples often share equipment and gear. If a couple shares int gear, who should get it after a divorce?

A prenup can help to identify which assets between a couple are shared, and set down rules to consider how future assets can be categorised as personal or shared assets. After this clarification, the prenup can decide how these assets are distributed after, or if they should be liquidated and shared.

Prenups can also be used to define how gifts are to be considered, whether certain assets are just considered long terms loans, or if there is intended change in legal ownership as a gift.

How would prenups be enforced?

ML already makes use of many concepts from contract law. For example, in roll scamming, the concept is that both parties enter into an agreement to roll, with the loser paying a fee. If the loser does not pay, then you can report them, and they would be subject to the heavy hand of the law (aka Nise).

The basis of this is that a contract has been broken. There is no reason that this concept cannot extend to an agreement made before a marriage in ML, as it is still based on the concept of contract.

Further considerations

How can you be sure that the parties who sign the agreement are truly the parties who are getting married on ML?

We can make use of blockchain technology and non-fungible tokens (“NFTs”), which give a strong degree of certainty about the identity of the parties signing a contract.

While the purpose of this post is not to look at this topic, this can be further explored when prenups become more common in ML (don’t tell me it’s not going to become common, I’m not listening).
    Pally f5.jpg

Conclusion

Love, marriage, divorce, who knows what's going to happen in the future. Come protect yourself from one possibility with a prenup now! First 5 clients get their prenup for FREE. Don’t miss your chance!
    mage hearteye.jpg archer f3.jpg

Template Prenup

Please see a template prenup here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xH-yHkRxgPHg0HYan6Z_nU9985rTQ6ds8zLDbB-uUGM/edit?usp=sharing

• Funny x 12
    • Creative x 5
    • Great Work x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. codiacs

codiacs Horny Mushroom

May 5, 2020
    9:53 AM
    Codiacs
    Shadower
    Nani
    I can definitely see some potential here...
    OnionDead

• Funny Funny x 6
  3. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    6:53 AM
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Interesting idea. Personally, I live my life according to the saying, "don't lend what you're can't afford to lose," whether its real money or virtual money.

5. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
  6. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Romance is dead in ML and people may start signing marriage contracts

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Simps are rejoicing.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Cheol

Cheol Mano

Dec 3, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    Cheol
    I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Bowmaster
    Pawcifists
    But in the presence of love, we shouldn’t be thinking about divorce...?

i love you...

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. bobamilk

bobamilk Blue Snail

Apr 28, 2020
    Female
    Itzel
    Marksman
    Luna
    Forever alone be like... thumb_hmmmm-17608542.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    +1 for this because I can't risk getting married and only having 1 ski after divorce. At that point it's just a skinny snowboard and that would make it a polearm and those aren't very good at stabbing stuff

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    10:53 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    • Agree Agree x 1