1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

My 2 cents on inflation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scylla, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Scylla

Scylla Orange Mushroom

Oct 10, 2019
    Female
    10:11 AM
    Scylla
    Night Lord
    Lotus
    EDIT:
    First of all I wanna say tyvm for the hard work, its soooooo much appreciated and you do a great job <3

Personally, I think combating inflation in a game like this is somewhat pointless... or rather difficult. This game is all about farming, which means that by default the longer and the more efficient people play the more income and mesos will be generated.
    Since this server and this game itself are around for so long, it is only natural that people have optimized farming methods, which further enhances the issue.
    This is the very reason why similar farming intensive games, bring out new servers or have server wipes, such that there is a fresh start and a fresh economy every now and then.

Apart from those options I feel like there is only a few things one can really do about it and all are rather drastic...

The first one would be to slow down overall progression and thereby make inflation occur less quickly. For example by decreasing drop rates for mesos and items or make people level up slower and whatnot.

Another options is targeting the source of the major meso / item generation, which is mages and other classes that have "ultimates" like Genesis. This can pretty much only be done by removing said skills completely, or by affecting drop rates / meso drops depending on how many monsters a skill can kill per cast.
    The multimagefarming nerf is a really good solution for this as well, but I think as long as those "ultimates" exist, they will always make things difficult since they are just so overpowered for farming.

Lastly, targeting the sweaty and rich players would probably the most efficient thing to do, since they are the main reason why inflation has such a huge impact. For example putting way higher taxes on high value trades. Obviously trading coins is a method to circumvent this tax, so there would need to be a fixed tax for trading coins as well, say 10m per coin or something.

------------------

Aight, that is all I wanted to say, personally I am a very casual player now and all of this doesn't really affect me. I guess I just wanted to put my thoughts out here because I think in a game like this, there just isn't a proper way to stop inflation due to the nature of things.

2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    You are saying that you can't purchase equips anymore if these changes occur, but it would actually happen if no sinks happen at all. The more mesos get generated, the more expensive things get, and the longer it will take for you to buy something. When mesos generation gets slowed down, then people no longer will buy over-expensive items, thus forcing sellers to make them cheaper. You also mention that if we want to reduce infliation that we should tackle the main problems. That's kinda what we did this patch though, by altering ToT and a few other maps that were massively farmed by the so-called "multimagers" which are mage users that use multiple clients for farming mesos at the very same time, and causing the inflation to be even faster than it is.

• Like Like x 2
  3. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    3:11 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    a nice way to beat the sweaty and rich players is to make inflation go up even higher than prepatch. after all, inflation is a tax

4. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    5:11 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    i agree with some parts
    i expected a drop rate nerf on ult skills, and also tax on prestigious coins trades.
    i dont think the multimage nerf will be enough

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Scylla

Scylla Orange Mushroom

Oct 10, 2019
    Female
    Scylla
    Night Lord
    Lotus
    I didn't say that i can't buy anything because of the changes that occur, or maybe i expressed myself poorly.
    What I meant is, that i personally cannot upgrade my gear because i don't play as much as I used to. Even if the prices were the same as 2 years ago i would not be able to afford upgrades. That's why all of this doesn't really affect me.

My point was that it might be better to target the people where the money sits directly, which is why I suggested increasing tax for high value trades to create more meso sink. I totally agree that targeting multimagefarming is a good thing and surely helps as well in the long run.

Sorry for the confusion, I do like the changes that you guys have made to tackle inflation, but I don't think that the problem itself can be solved. So I'd like to see more targeted money sink in the future.

6. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    An actual fix to the issue, relative to specific maps that get abused by multi-maging is to poll / gather data in the following months (after the changes to ToT) relative to the "meta" farming maps for mage classes.
    I imagine data will be gathered in relation to more than 2 mages in a map killing mobs per X minutes.
    After that is done, you can gather a list of Y maps, from these maps take the mobs and start halving their meso drops, make the scrolls rarer to drop and such.
    ~ What's the issue with this?

Its the fact the maging metas always rise, they go from one to another map, at the end of the day the other classes will get affected (imagine if all ToT started halving meso drops, scroll drops and eqs drop... hell for anything other than mage to make the grind "profitable").

~ Possible solutions

The solution for inflation is to combat the meso generation made in other ways, and tbh the increase of mana consumption by mages with ultis would be a nice place to start.

Decrease the dmg the ulti does from SP 1 to 10 (2/3rd of what it is now) then when you go above 11 you'll start consuming 1.5/2x the MP you are using right now.
    This would make casting ultis more expensive.

"But what about the ones that have a ton of tma and just SP reset back to 10?
    At that point I'd say the skill wasn't nerfed enough in the first 10 SPs.

Another point to take, which I've already discussed 2 years ago (which failed to be taken seriously) was the fact that ultis are the only "big AoE" skill that has no cooldown.
    If you can cast one ulti every ~5 seconds, why not make it be castable every 5 seconds? Making a mage only cast ulti every 10 seconds.
    This alone halves their potential DPM, EPM, MPM, SPH, EQPH drastically.

Bracketed tax in this game can't work, we can see what happened pre-2019 with people just selling millions of etc for 9999 meso and you'd sit there, just to evade the higher tax bracket on big sales.
    (Theres still people doing it nowadays lol)

I would suggest making the trades of Coins only available through something like Duey.
    Where you will have to pay a good tax to trade it to another player.

7. flow

flow Slimy

Jan 18, 2021
    Male
    Brazil
    Lisnar, HolyFlow, Theorist
    Buccaneer
    Funk
    Yes, mages create inflation on items but who create these items? warriors with power blast?
    Mages make the server already TOO MUCH easy, extremely good items being sold for nothing because they farm like no one, do you really think mage nerfs is going to increase your purchasing power? Instead of this mesos become harder to get for everyone, pot costs really start hurting and no one can afford nothing if they didn't do the BEST farming method, the game become very hard to profit and agressive to new players and casual farming methods since the supply will receive a very HUGE cut

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    1:11 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    If you go back to the balance changes thread and look through the data, you'd see why they decided to do what they did. Making NLC pots more expensive was probably the single most efficient thing they could have done to slow down the inflation curve. In the past, NLCs pots not only allowed people to make a shit ton of money, it allowed EVERYBODY to play with them inefficiently and STILL profit massive amounts of mesos in return.

The ammo recharge nerf can be more seen as rebalance for the two strongest attacking classes. Before, there was little to nothing weighing them down. Now there is a slight economic downside to playing these classes.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    4:11 AM
    This would be correct if this was back in 2016, where there wasn't much rebalance of every class through players complaining about their damage output.
    You have classes like Paladin, MM, Shadowers, etc. getting buffed every patch as NL is always seen as the ceiling.

I wouldn't mind the price of stars if the damage gap was bigger, because simply that's what NLs only purpose is.
    They do high single target damage, but whats the point of increasing prices if our gap between other classes isn't even that large.

Staying on topic,

The issue has already been determined that multi mages are the main source of the inflation.
    Everyone knows it, yet the whole community gets hit by the changes.
    Changes should be directed towards multi maging.
    Not everyone has time to farm enough money for pots for a single boss run every week.

To combat them, this has entirely been a game of cat and mouse, chasing down spots that the multi magers have been farming at.
    Gobis>Harps>Cornians>ToT

10. flow

flow Slimy

Jan 18, 2021
    Male
    Brazil
    Lisnar, HolyFlow, Theorist
    Buccaneer
    Funk
    The whole community get new 30% drops and in some good maps like grims so the potion increase for starters won't will impact too much, after shadowers and buccanners Night Lords are probably the class who get more relevancy on this patch, they'll spend more on stars but what about their insignificant pot costs? While warriors is going to spent ALOT in potions now, NL will stay by far the class who spent less on boss runs after those two, while dealing by far the most damage!
    You really is comparing nightlords to shadowers?
    Boss runs profits aren't negative, you don't need to farm potions before entering it :)
    You're guys are not fine with being the best class, also need to be the #1 in costs to maintain, we understand this is NL story, but can we let staff try to make other classes less worse in comparasion?
    Just use snowballs, still the best class ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Paladins, MMs, Shadowers have been getting buffed because there was no reason to play them before any of their buffs. The gap was too wide for them to be justified as viable classes. This was evident based on their low active class counts, and the buffs seems to have revitalized the classes a good amount while dethroning others.

The only disadvantage NLs had going for them for the longest time was their HP requirements which is fairly irrelevant now a days, and they've always sat comfortably at the top and are still very clearly a top-tier attacker. They also have other advantages like low pot spend - HP/MP-wise and in Attack pots, and they still blow any of the above classes out of the water DPM-wise on content that requires high attack pot usage. That is their area of expertise, and they're fairly unmatched in that regard.

There was little to no downside of playing an NL outside of more and more cleave-friendly/mob-spam content being introduced. Also, we're not really in an NL top meta anymore. The class to look at is corsairs, where they basically have everything in their tool kit to make them the strongest, well-rounded class. Their main downside is their mechanical requirements and lack of avoidability which ends up becoming a great equalizer for their dpm in various types of content. However, staff seems to already be aware of this and it seems like they were nerfed accordingly.

Another class to look at is Buccs. They seem to have everything under their pros list and very, very few downsides. Their formidability as damage dealers is also showing out through some of the more dedicated Bucc mains.

The best direction for holistic class balance is to bring the DPM spread closer and closer together. A tighter spread makes the nuanced advantages and disadvantages much more relevant to class balance, making tweaks over time less drastic and more niche-forming. This is an overall good direction for the server IMO, and staff have been taking the necessary steps to get there.

Everybody contributes to inflation. That's just a general fact of this game with how it is designed. If you're playing at a meso deficit, you can always adapt to not be so resource exhaustive - that option is always there. The pot cost changes impacted multimagers more than regular players as their pot costs scale per client used. The pot cost change was a buff to NLs with their alchemist, so you could see it holistically as as a lateral change with the shadow star/ammo recharge cost adjustments -- while it was a more direct nerf to corsairs.

Like I said, the pot cost change was probably the most efficient way to go about curbing inflation. It's shown right there in the data. Does it affect other people too? Sure. But with a universal change like this, it forces people to adapt to new strategies. Also, let's be honest. Everybody already knew NLC pots were overpowered AF for the longest time. The recent change is just painful because it was normalized for such a long time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta

staff has to be aware of new multimage strategys that come up and mix respawn timer from the new meta mobs. however, you can’t wait big patches to do that. I believe it’s not necessary to wait a long time as changing respawn timer doesn’t need a patch, neither maintenance, right? I believe that doing this + the changes you made this patch gonna be enough to maintain low the disparity’s beetween bossing/multimage farming and leeching. mixed respawn timers + the new potion cost are enough to slowdown the multimage by a large amount

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    The problem with increasing the cost of mage ult is that eventually you reach a point where nothing except the meta maps are profitable. For mage players this means the entire game revolves around fighting for a map at Shaolin or Ulu/Skeles. For everyone else this means the cost of scrolls/equips goes through the roof because no mages will farm other maps.

The fact is that low rate MS servers rely on mages providing goods to the market. This is especially true on pservers which don't have the population GMS had back in the day.

Adding a CD to ults would be terrible. What would mages do in this five sec window where they can't use ult? Use Angel Ray/Paralyze for pitiful damage on one mob? Mages don't have skills to make up for this in their kit. I/L has Chain Lightning, sure, but it has less than half the base spell power of Blizzard. Third job skills are too weak to be usable into fourth job. FP and Bishop only have single target skills. Why would anyone play mages with a five sec ult CD when Corsairs can do virtually the same thing with air strike and also top the DPM charts on bosses? Why not just play DK and spam Roar? Why gear a Bishop at all, why not just mule it? Mage fourth job would need to be entirely remade with custom skills for them to be viable after this kind of change and the result would probably be to make mages into another sub-par bossing class.

• Like Like x 4
  14. OP
    OP
    Scylla

Scylla Orange Mushroom

Oct 10, 2019
    Female
    Scylla
    Night Lord
    Lotus
    Edited my initial post because I felt like it was a bit harsh and I didn't want to give the impression that I don't appreciate the hard work staff is putting into this server. Love ya <3

-------------

Kinda off-topic but since it was mentioned here already..
    I really don't understand how people can say that NL's are too strong or have no disadvantages because that is simply not true. They are the most reliant class of them all, to do proper damage at bossing they absolutely need SE and their HP is really low, so they also need HB and even then you can't do certain bosses unless you washed.
    On top of that, their farming abilities are the worst of all classes too. I think their low potion consumption is the only thing that justifies having such bad farming skills but shadowers and even buccaneers (they have a ton of iframe right?) also have that, while still being insanely strong for farming.
    Having high single target is the only thing that NL's have going for them and that is only true if they have SE.

Also starting out as a NL as your first char is really hard, I don't think anyone would recommend it (not saying it's not possible, I also started with a NL) because a lot of the scrolls they need are very expensive and insanely rare, sometimes you can't even find them on the market. Hopefully the new scroll drops help with that a little bit, but I think some scrolls weren't included (top luk 60%)? And then there is stars as well which aren't exactly cheap to buy and to refill now.

-----

Don't get me wrong though, I like that other classes are getting buffed and that staff is trying to even out the damage for the classes, it's a good thing to get more diversity there. But I think NL's has been targeted from a lot of different angles in the past and at the same time they don't get love where they could really need it. So once again, Yes NL's can be really strong but they also come at a cost and have disadvantages as well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1