1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The State of Maplelegends Economy 0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cornwall, May 17, 2023.

1. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    2:18 PM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    Expiring items is a bad solution overall lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    12:18 PM
    Corsair
    PQ Revamp! OnionGirlLoveFoxLoveFoxShylurvmushSlimeBlushMapleF14:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    3:18 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    If we handled coins, I’m fairly sure we would’ve seen the complete reverse of this post, probably something along the line of:

“Imagine ignoring inflation while changing coins lmao”

Both coins and general health of the economy (eg inflation rate) are important topics. Just because one saw change and focus in balance patches, doesnt necessarily mean the other is seen as perfect.

That said, I personally havent seen a popular suggested change to coins on the forums, so I think it should be an indicator of how difficult it can be. Just food for thought~

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    8:18 PM
    Flamous
    Bishop
    What about it?

5. Audemars

Audemars Slime

Feb 9, 2020
    Male
    11:18 AM
    Audemars
    Warrior
    I haven't spent much time looking into inflation data and how bad it really is. Just hearing a ton of complaining in game and on Discord and forums :rolleyes:

Coins is obviously the biggest offending culprit? :cold:

I'm sure ML has the ability to track the amount of total coins being traded in a given period. Take average market price of coins (3.3m) and multiply by volume of trades, times 0.025 for what tax would've been. That's what the economy would have lost as a meso sink if coins didn't exist. I guarantee you that amount - with all the 3-5k coin perfect weapons and crazy ridiculous gloves and facestompers being traded on the daily - is more than enough of a meso sink than what the game needs.

Also,
    1. Raising potion prices is one of the worst decisions ML has made to date :coldfeet::stinkyfeet:. It makes the game harder for new players, tougher to accumulate wealth for mid-game players, while making no impact to late game sweaty multi-mage PBers.
    2. For the players with the most wealth in the game, ask them if they care about the 10mil mesos fee being paid to WS a perfect weapon lol!! To my understanding that's the only solution staff has came up with in recent years to combat inflation :wacky:

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:18 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    careful with extrapolating too much with coin tax or we'll all end up on xiao spreadsheets

for #1, a lot of balance changes has some mysterious effect of making the rich richer. maybe it's something intentional about trickling down ;)

#2 if the item is tradable just buy service (from someone trustworthy ofc)

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    What even is wealth? Is it mesos? Is it finished items?
    Would you say new players have a harder time finishing a perfect weapon today than 2 years ago?

People with established modes of production will continue to amass wealth efficiently. That's not privilege.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Be careful forming an opinion so confidently when it's based only on hearsay. There's a lot of popular notions in the ML community that are just straight up wrong ("Archers should scroll for STR because they get more stats from MW20") and it's easy to have incorrect narratives with such a small community as conversations can quickly become an echo chamber.

I would say the inflation/progression issue isn't very straightforward. On the one hand, making progression as a casual low/mid level bossing character is better now than it ever has been; coins offer a consistent and easy to access way of progressing where a low/mid level casual single-client attacker before would struggle to break even beforehand just running 6 man Zak. On the other hand, a lot of the sweatier methods for making quick progression for more hardcore players have been gutted. Wheras one could farm a WS/CS in 6 hours of mostly AFK work when I first started, now it would probably take closer to 10 hours of tedious work using the same methods.

Are things better now? Worse? Depends who you ask. Throwing out sarcastic emojis does not help convince people that you have an informed opinion worth listening to, though.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  9. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    8:18 PM
    Flamous
    Bishop
    Surely its the extra million per hour in meso cost that is holding me back [​IMG]

OT: I think its wild that fiat currencies outside of mesos are allowed to exist where even staff is actively participating in tax evasion. Even the existence of banks opens up so many loopholes around meso spending and is based solely on trust. With bank holders getting banned or using banks internal money for personal investment aka [REDACTED], imo there must be some official ruling regarding banks.

In this trust-based economy the extra earned credibility of a staff member running a bank interferes with game integrity. I also don't understand how gear sharing/debt is allowed/not considered RWT? what is the point of having gear if you can just lend it out with no repercussion? What if the RWT:er was just loaning out some mesos?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:18 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta

hey that's what regulation is for!!! i wouldn't be surprised if most banks have negative equity in the case their other accounts are banned

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Bank IPO when? LF> PB bank dividends

12. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    To be fair, recent events have demonstrated staff members are not immune from being banned. Not saying staff banks might not have some intrinsic advantages, but those advantages might be overstated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    If there was a good solution to taxation that could be broadly applied and properly handled tying up wealth inside non-taxed assets, I'm sure there's a legion of economists out there that would be all-ears.

As for RWT, it's about exploiting things external to the game itself for material advantage. You can build up trust entirely within the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dimez

Dimez Stone Golem

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    Crimez/Dimez/Jake
    Paladin
    Pasta
    Im slowly starting to understand why people suggest server resets. I feel as if some problems are simply just a direct byproduct of server longevity.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Maintaining stability over long terms is an art form in itself.

That being said, I do encourage some of the veteran players to try things outside of the box like Osslock. It refreshes your perspective on all the things available to us in this server.

• Agree Agree x 8
  16. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    10mill is a lot still :(

17. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    Corsair
    I'm pretty happy with the coins system, it means I won't be losing money every time I Zak.

People constantly push this idea that coins are terrible for the economy and I don't really see it. It's a tax-free currency sure, but to even use them you need to dish out 10m. As far as I can tell this will be an effective Meso sink, and an effective tax for coins for as long as there is demand for perfect equips. The reason people use them as currency is because coins are in high demand and are worth a lot, so if you ever need to convert them into actual mesos it's super quick and easy to do (and also taxed!) It only works as a currency because people have the ability to turn it into Meso quickly, and because people do it often.

Coins in the first place don't generate any new Meso, in fact getting them through bossing takes Mesos out due to pot costs, plus people will buy coins for mesos taxing those transactions. Farming Mobs kinda generates new Meso though, I'm of the opinion that Bossing should be the better option since it's more fun, has interactions with other players, and is a huge Meso sink.

I think at some point in one of these Threads someone said something about banned mesos, but I think that's probably the most important Meso sink of all. Nobody wants to spend time in a game just to lose stuff. Any content that is a net-loss is never touched really. If people never lose stuff and only gain stuff, then inflation is guaranteed. It doesn't matter how many Mesos Miki takes from us, as long as we are progressing in terms of earning Mesos and upgrading gear, we are inflating the Economy. The only way to get rid of these assets are to ban people with expensive gears, and to have rich players quit with their gears.

Correct me if I'm wrong about anything here, I'm talking out my ass lmao.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    I wonder how many coins are out there in the server as a whole right now?

Multiply it by the current market rate to find the total value held via coins.. is this number higher than the total mesos in everyone's inventory ? I wonder..

Seems like a bubble to me. Prestigious Coins are going to crash once we run out of mesos.

19. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    Corsair
    I figure us running out of mesos isn't that bad of a thing? Idk i'm not an economist, but Coin prices going down sounds good to me :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    At the rate of how common Prestigious Coins are easily obtainable then yes. Thousands are being pumped into the game everyday and being collected (not sold in the Free Market).

The only way to stop the incoming bubble burst is to "stop the presses". The drop rate must be decreased to slow down the inevitable.

• Disagree Disagree x 1