1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Add visual aid effect to halloween raffle drops similar to NX/gacha drops

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by T2Smile, Nov 8, 2023.

1. T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    4:07 PM
    Hi,

I have this concern that I might have left quite some rafffles unpicked due to no special effect like NX/gacha, especially when I farm at big maps that many spots would stack a lot etc/mesos.

Actually since I was leeching both at Jr. wraith and porky today, I notice the number of raffles different, I got raffles at porky a bit more than Jr. wraith, like 4:1 or 3:1, but I stayed at porky not that long. I bet luk plays a role, but I can't help wondering if I just simply leave some of raffle there, since at porky I easily sweeped all floors, while at Jr. Wraith, many platform I never went to unless I saw a NX/gacha/pumkin point/raffle there.

In a word, any chance adding a visual effect like the NX/gacha to make it more conspicuous?

===============================
    First edit:

I noticed there's counterpoint to this suggestion about "why raffle ticket (or anything else) deserves a special treatment on its graphics?"

That's a good point. Actually, my initial thought is to suggest adding a .csv costum config file to let players choose what drops they prefer to see a visual effect, which avoid the arguement about why something is special.
    The reason why I didn't not suggest that because the idea would require:
    1. larger range of the community to discuss and agree on it
    2. more jobs for staff to do that this will take much much longer to implement.

I get it some people might conclude the issue as "player skill issue", but it's not all skill issue in my opinion.
    The strongest arguement by my side would be: what about players with color blindness or other visual impairments? There's certainly scinarioes that paying more attention or practising more would not help much.

And here's my crazy random thought on this topic:
    I believe using yolo or other object detection algorithm would create a neat and reliable enough assistant tool to remind me I got a drop that I want to loot, which doesn't break the ToS.
    If, the above tool is valid, not breaking rules, not granting unfair advantages to users, I would say similar implementation to hightlight some drops in the client is fairly worth pushing forward for QoL

===============================
    Second edit:

Confirmed with staff that "my crazy thought" in the first edit will violate ToS, as in typical 3-rd party software and some further concerns, which makes sense. I do hope there is a way with some effort, I can identify all drops I would like to loot.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    8:07 AM
    going forward, all special/rare event items like gach should have a special effect. the big "Z" effect should also make a comeback in the .ini file if it isn't already tbh

3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    This suggestion gets made every event.

While I agree that generally rare event items would be made easier to find with added visual effects, changes like these only serve as a crutch and allow for people to continue playing this game without having to pay much attention. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is debatable.

If you don't want to miss pumpkin points or raffle tickets, just pay more attention while you're killing stuff. The raffle tickets aren't even that small compared to other event items in the past, like golden gach.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    I don't think the problem is the user. Grinding is going to inherently get you to zone out at some point. That's why we have auto HP/MP equips, meso/item bags, etc. What the suggested proposal solves is part of the (negative, I think) consequence of being a 2D MMO.

Pumpkin coins (or any event coins), yes, they can be omitted. They drop all the time and not including them is not too big a deal-- and this would yield a better effect of reducing visual clutter (and lag), by being selective in what we include to highlight.

Though, Raffle Tickets are rarer and should carry the same distinction as a Gacha ticket, especially since it serves the same purpose as the latter (use to spin an event gachapon).

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    No need to try to convince me - I understand the nuance in this debate. I'm just offering the counterpoint because sometimes the easy, obvious answers need to be thought through, too. It's easy to come up with a million small suggestions that supposedly make the game better, more QoL, whatever. But if you implement every single one of them, you'll have a shell of game that has been stripped of its simple nature.

But that just begs the question - why does Gacha get special treatment? What distinguishes Gacha or NX coupons as important enough from other drops to warrant a special effect? Should Equips also get the special treatment too? Or Scrolls? Ores? Does any item deserve to get special treatment? If so, why stop at the glow effect? Why not enlarge the item sprite 10x so we can make sure you never miss the loot?

Here's my breakdown of the two opposing views:
    People in the first camp -- OP, people agreeing with suggestion -- might believe that ownership of an item starts when the rare item drops from a kill. As in if I killed a mob and a rare item drops, that item belongs to me and I should have it. This leads to the feeling of bitterness from the possibility of having missed your rare item drop - whether it be from zoning out, not being thorough/lazy with sweeping patterns, or visual clutter. The blame gets put onto external reasons, not my actions, and therefore things should be changed to be made easier.

People in the second camp -- me, people who disagree with the suggestion -- might believe that ownership of an item comes from doing the actual work of picking up the item -- which includes all the necessary steps in between like being attentive, actively scanning the map for missed items, finding better sweeping patterns, etc. With this, we accept that imperfection is simply part of the process, and that we will probably miss a few drops here and there. If I miss looting a rare item, I am the one to blame, and that's okay. However, I can take it upon myself to improve upon my play so that I lower the chance of missing items in the future.

--
    Like I said, whether the change is beneficial to the server or not is debatable. I personally think it will only make a simple part of the game even simpler which I think is a bad thing.

Bonus Content:
    While writing up this post I found a raffle :V
    It's hiding, but I'm glad I was able to find it and loot it.
    I think that's just part of playing the game.
    upload_2023-11-8_22-37-43.png

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    This QoL should have been implemented into the game from the very start tbh, it helps with people that play on multiple clients that won't really see a floating event item under all the clutter underneath, as shown in -ovv's post, that gold meso covering the event raffle ticket just makes this suggestion even more worth while to consider.

Friendlier gameplay is always nice to have whether that be you being a single or multi-clienter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    5:07 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Player skill issue, also missing a drop is not the end of the world.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    4:07 PM
    I think this is an interesting question. Thinking about this I'd say that it's never about importance or rarity, but rather due to them being related to the cash shop, in the sense that Gacha has been originally a NX-purchased item and now being dropped from mobs is a custom change.
    I do think that if we apply the rarity argument then the same argument is applicable for scrolls too which will then suddenly requires a bunch of custom changes.

Anyway, disclaimer that my above response is not an official staff response, just my personal own, and neither I'm saying it should nor should not be added a visual effect, just providing some perspective.

Btw, adding visual effect will need a file change, which will then require a patch, which we will not be doing mid event just for a QoL change. But this can be something to consider for future event with respect to rare drops, feel free to highlight this again in the upcoming event feedback post. :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    My line of questioning was rhetorical to point out that there really is no basis for Gacha and NX having its visual effects. I wasn't trying to suggest that more items should have the visual effect.

Not a criticism - just pointing out that this seems to be a recurring issue every other event for a suggestion that had been approved previously (albeit in 2020), and I'm pretty sure I've even seen the "make sure to report it in the event feedback post" almost word for word from staff before.

https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...ual-effects-to-golden-gachapon-tickets.30949/