1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Low Hero's ACA does not apply its damage boost correctly

Discussion in 'Report Bugs' started by iPippy, Oct 26, 2023.

1. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    5:30 PM
    iPippy
    *Deciding to post this as a bug report because it runs counter to the description provided in Nise's Damage Computation post. I also write to open a discussion on the necessity of utilizing a "Defense Adjusted Average Range" measure for dpm calculations.

Heroes and Paladins are two classes with effectively the same clean ranges due to wearing the exact same armor and weapons. Both even come with a skill multiplier to their damage (ACA orbs and Elemental Charges, found in the "Modifiers" step of Nise's damage calculation). Additionally, balance changes to panic were implemented with the intent of aligning hero single target output with that of element neutral paladin. Whether or not that is the correct balance point isnt the topic at hand today, but rather, I demonstrate that hero and paladin are not affected by monster defense in the same way (and as usual its not to hero's benefit :confused:).

Paladin:
    Paladin damage appears to be calculated as outlined, by applying the elemental skill's boost first (such as 175% for fire and 185% for holy charges) and then applying defense reduction. Additionally, if the mob is weak to that particular element, it is additionally multiplied by the 1.5x before the defense reduction. This is demonstrated with the image below, where for the given range and mob defense (freezer is fire weak), the damage values seen follow the Element boost (175%) -> Super Effective Boost (150%) -> Defense Reduction. If the mob is neutral to the element, simply remove the 1.5x step from the pipeline.

[​IMG]

Hero:
    Hero also gets a 1.9x damage multiplier when all 10 orbs are active. However, this multiplier is NOT applied before the defense reduction step. Instead, the multiplier waits until after the range has been reduced by defense before multiplying. This is demonstrated in the image below, where the damage is lower than possible if ACA applied before defense.

[​IMG]

What does this mean?
    This means that for these two classes, which have supposedly been balanced to where hero outputs similar single target damage to element neutral paladin, due to the more favorable order of operations, hero suffers from weapon defense far more than paladin, let alone on element weak mobs. If a hero and paladin are wearing the exact same gear, their "Defense Adjusted Average Ranges" are not the same on realistic targets. This disparity gets amplified for higher defense targets.

If my calculations below are correct, against a monster with a very reasonable 1700 w.def (one of which is Pink Bean), the hero is 430 average range lower than their equivalently geared paladin counterpart. There's no official documentation on it and I'm not going to stop an entire pb run to collect the data, but I believe in pb's specific case, special resistance applies when paladin element bonus would (i.e. before defense reductions). This means we can simulate it by just lowering the starting range min and max values, which has no effect on the Defense Adjusted Average Range calculation.

[​IMG]
    *Note: Defense Adjusted Average Range can be thought of as the range that the user would have against a 0 defense target, for the purposes of calculating dpm. Apply damage calculation steps as normal otherwise.

This means that the hero is actually 430 range behind the paladin on holy-neutral 1700 def targets (think pb and ht). I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine how much attack it would take to cover this gap. This value is higher on high defense targets such as toad (like a 1k range difference there). Not to mention against element weak targets.

Not included in this analysis:
    I do not include the effects of SE as that becomes more involved than I care for with panic. Additionally, I do not include dk in this for two reasons. First, I do not have a dk atm, although I am pretty sure zerk multiplies last (after crits) to get higher crit values. Second, they do not aim to have the exact same damage range as hero/paladin due to wearing a different weapon.

Tl;dr Bug: Hero does not apply its multiplier boost at the listed step before defense. This implies that the equally geared hero will not have the same dpm as a paladin against a non-zero defense, holy neutral target, even after the panic buffs attempted to align them.

• Great Work Great Work x 18
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    4:30 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
  3. abe27342

abe27342 Orange Mushroom

Mar 14, 2020
    Male
    2:30 PM
    Hero
    Assuming the ordering of pb's damage reduction and its defense application is consistent with other classes and the documented formula, this means hero gets the worst of both worlds in pb body: defense is applied *after* the damage reduction, but *before* the aca multiplier. This is pretty dramatic.

Here's a TS playground for this scenario applied to pink bean according to the documented damage formula vs. what happens if defense is applied pre-aca. (aside: please let me know if any of the calculations there are incorrect!). Assuming no mistakes, it comes out to about a 8% difference in damage on pb body for my hero's stats. The difference will be more exaggerated for less-geared players. Should also be easy to tweak to apply to other mobs.

Would love to see a fix for this!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Bump

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DrChuchu

DrChuchu Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Sep 21, 2020
    Male
    DrPikachu
    Night Lord
    Unfortunately not a bug. If you look at Nise's formula thread for the applicable steps, Step 2 is meant to mean elemental multipliers (including pally charges) while Step 8 refers other multipliers (including ACA).

Opinions below do not reflect the rest of staff, etc.

Pally nerf time

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Just move this on over to the suggestions section.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. OP
    OP
    iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Step 8 implies that ACA should multiply after crits (step 5), similar to zerk

Edit: These may not be compatible as listed, but I've got no dk to play with and zerk isn't even listed in any step on the formula sheet.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  8. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    6:30 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Hiya! Do you mind sharing the spreadsheet you were working with? iPippyiPippy

I'll try to take a look to verify, but no promises since I've been quite swamped with IRL stuff lately!

9. OP
    OP
    iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Pardon the dust as I wasn't planning to share the spreadsheet. I've converted it to a google sheet and applied some touch-ups to hopefully make it a bit easier to follow.

The minimum and maximum range as well as mob defense are inputs (in gray), and the observable attack outputs for scenarios are shown beneath it. In addition, the Defense Adjusted Average Range represents a character's range which would have the same dummy dpm as the above character against a 0 defense target (what dummy dpm testers compare against). For both classes, this is calculated by applying their multipliers and defense in the previously determined order, and then dividing the multipliers back out.

Of course, these ranges are utilized with different values of buff/skill multipliers between the two classes, but the original post aimed to challenge claims that hero single target output (post panic changes) closely matched that of paladin's holy neutral single target output outside of anything other than 0 defense targets.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cFi0aqHV0tcxyTsyyjBad4l-YzZQ5UfJCcouqXg1Qb4/edit?usp=sharing

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  10. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    Lol this is basically all wrong, I did not have the correct combo counters or skill multipliers

Not sure if it's a design goal for Hero's single target DPM to be close to Pally's neutral DPM, but in that vein I wondered how significantly Hero's real DPM is affected by ACA's charging mechanic because notably Holy Charge doesn't need to charge and actually lasts 50% longer

It's hard to capture multiple rebuff cycles in a dummy DPM test unless someone were to stand there for like 2 hours so the best I can offer is my dum-dum guesstimate that's probably wrong:

Hero loses ~0.56% of its DPM in a DPM60 vs. a DPM3 purely due to charging ACA

The ideal Hero DPM 3 starts with everything fully buffed and 10 orbs charged. It begins with a fully charged Panic and hopefully ends with a fully charged Panic. This is unrealistic because it doesn't capture ACA's ramp up time

If we look at a Hero's DPM60:

• ACA charges 1 ball 100% of the time, and an extra ball 75% of the time. On average an attack charges 1.75 balls, and it takes 5.7 attacks to charge fully, or half of that to charge just the blue ones
    • Over a long period of time, the # of balls Hero starts its DPM capture with is negligible, but every 200 seconds Hero at least needs to charge the 5 base blue balls (MapleF17) to even consider ACA as fully activated
    • Assuming max weapon speed (630ms for Brandish) this takes on average ~1.8 seconds to charge the 5 base balls, or 0.9% of ACA's duration
    • I can only base this off the skill descriptions and my eyeballs, but it seems the 5 base blue balls actually account for 88% of ACA's total damage amp (+220% for base Combo, +30% for ACA). For simplicity's sake, since the blue balls are the majority of the damage and Hero would be constantly cycling through the Red balls due to Panic, let's just assume for this guesstimate that ACA only goes up to +220%.
    • So for every ACA buff cycle, each ball is worth +44 amp. Hero's first 3 ramp-up Brandishes get on average +0, +77, +154 amp, versus +220, +220, +220 once ACA is fully active. I *think* this means every 200 seconds, those 3 attacks are missing out on a total of +429 damage amp compared to 5 stacks of ACA
    • Over 200 seconds you would hope to get 349 attacks in, and if every attack you got +220 amp, you'd get a total of 76780 amp; Now I didn't pass algebra so take this with a grain of salt, but basically 429 amp lost to charging / 76780 amp pre-charged = 0.56% of the total damage amp lost compared to if ACA started with 5 balls on-cast. So if you are a moderate Hero who deals 10mil DPM on a short test, I estimate you will lose 56k DPM on a long test

Honestly it's pretty negligible, though there are some other considerations

• Damage loss to ACA's charge up is probably worse outside of free-fire conditions, because you are spending a bigger proportion of your max possible attacking time just ramping up. Even in free-fire context, all your other buffs still cut into that 200sec ACA duration
    • Afaik w.def mostly cuts your damage by a flat amount, not % dmg, so weaker lines lose proportionally more DPM
    • Warriors have pretty unstable damage so it's hard to tell if 40k is really anything, but if you were a ranged attacker and your Dummy DPM were over 100k off of what you expected, you're probably missing some gear

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  11. OP
    OP
    iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    I've got my share of issues with the charging damage, but those are mainly because I dont believe the system has the flexibility needed to be capable of the balancing it needs.

You kinda lose me on the analysis with amp, though that may be because of how the skill % is being read. From the formulas on Nise's formula sheet, these tables show the damage multiplier at each orb level, as well as the total damage multiplier for using each skill at each orb count. The Finisher Damage% table specifically includes the ACA multiplier, panic/coma specific multiplier, and both lines of brandish to outline the effective skill % of a single cast of that skill against a 0 defense target (no se). Special shoutouts to Coma being fairly close to no se brandish if it didnt even consume orbs or orb multiplier wasnt an issue (the attack speed would make it slightly better than brandish; the extra line on se would make it worse than brandish).
    [​IMG]

Weapon defense cuts the range in window by essentially a flat amount. The strength of lines plays no role in how impacted you are by defense, but characters/classes with lower ranges are impacted more by defense than those with larger ranges. Thus follows that the same window range paladin has an effectively larger range than its equivalent hero due to charges+weaknesses multiplying its range before defense reductions.

And this isnt even what makes paladin the better cleaver in any non-cwk situation...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  12. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    Ooh interesting, didn't realize the combo formulas were also there. Well given that, I was able to make a very rough simulation that compares the DPM difference of a Hero if ACA lasted 15 minutes, as opposed to its current 200 seconds https://playcode.io/1711764

Shockingly, there appears to be virtually no DPM loss from having to recharge ACA more often. There's actually barely any DPM loss even if ACA only lasted 60 seconds, though the simulation could just be wrong. But, the fact that even 1 orb gives over half of the dmg amp that 10 orbs gives, and Panic always gets +2.5x Finisher as long as there are at least 5 balls, maybe this outcome isn't that surprising.

There were some assumptions made though:
    • Hero's range is 10k-10k
    • no w.Def
    • Combo counter starts at 0, then forever stays between 5 and 10 until the attacking stops
    • Panic is always used at 10 orbs
    • Buffs last forever and don't have any cast time

upload_2024-1-2_17-49-43.png
    Anyway, sorry to derail from the original topic, but I guess if anything this can put in perspective how significant the order of damage multipliers is. Recharging the orbs barely matters in comparison, even though the whole charging mechanic seems like a big thematic aspect of ACA

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  13. Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    burgunt

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. fartsy

fartsy Zakum