1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Player's Journal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by svdk, May 10, 2020.

1. svdk

svdk Blue Snail

Apr 11, 2017
    Male
    6:48 PM
    Hi everyone!

After reading some of the wonderful journals on the forums, mainly Skuire's and spencil2's. I decided to join in and share my adventure on MapleLegends.

I used to play GMS when I was young but was to young to really know what I was doing and all I really remember was shooting the monsters with my Fire Arrow as a F/P mage and of course all the memorable places in the Maple World. I do have some experience with private servers but never got very far because I was confused by scrolling, HP washing, merching etc.

On MapleLegends so far I have played a Spearman to level 44 and soaked up a lot of information about the game and feel like I have a decent grasp on the basics. The Spearman is however not the character I'll me writing about because I came to the conclusion I don't really want to play as a warrior. We'll get to the star of the journal in a minute.

So let's talk about the reasons I want to start journaling my experience here and things I want to achieve in the game and outside of it. Both Skuire and spencil2 used their journals to log what they did in game and outside of it and I want to do something similar.

Goals in game, will probably change during the adventure:
    • Reach 4th job; I never managed to do this and it seems like a good end goal to have for now.
    • HP wash; This is a big topic and I feel like a lot of new players are a bit hesitant to even try it or are just very confused by it. This will make the early levels harder because of the lack of damage and I am curious to see how it will affect the adventure.
    Keep in mind I don't have any starting funds apart from like 3m and a couple of scuffed scrolled items that I yoinked from my Spearman. I'll show an overview of what the character is rocking right now in a bit.

Goals outside of the game:
    • Self improvement (journaling for example); I have never really done anything like this and want to get better at transferring words from my mind to text. Also I am not a native English speaker, so getting better at writing and thinking in English is a plus!
    • Combat laziness; We are in a unique situation where most of us are working from home and I have noticed that it has made my quite lazy. So every time before I start up MapleLegends I want to have done something productive, this could be some cleaning, exercise, meditation etc..

Wow, quite the story already..

Before writing this I had my first session with the character I'll be playing and it is about time I showed him.
    001.png 002.png
    004.png 005.png
    003.png
    Nobody really wants to see Maple Island stuff I recon so nothing missed there.
    I did some of the early bowman quests and have basically spent my time at the famous hunting grounds west of Henesys. The items above were from my Spearman but are also quite decent for Buriza. Also take note of the 60 INT so far, I plan to raise this to 100 and after I'll focus on DEX. This might be very painful, so might put some point in DEX before we reach the 100. We'll see how it goes :)

I hope you enjoyed reading part 1 of the journey.
    If you have any tips feel free to post them seeing as I am still learning.

• Like Like x 9
  2. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    9:48 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Some tips to make your damage somewhat more palatable as you go on this adventure:

Recognize that damage is roughly a function of dex * weapon attack. So you want to have a good balance of both. I suggest trying to get some more cheap dex gear:
    1. 10 dex overall (like a male bathrobe, you can scroll it to +10 dex using overall armor for dex 100% scrolls you can buy from a npc in kerning swamp).
    2. dex scrolled old raggedy cape (cape dex scrolls are very cheap and you can get this lv 25 cape from the quest from the patient in the hospital in kerning city).
    3. any other misc. dex gear you can find, like a hat, monster book ring ,etc.

Max out your use slots as a priority, and make a cider mule.
    Cider is a potion you can buy in showa town, it lasts 5 minutes and gives you + 20 weapon attack. You can only hold 1 per use slot, so max out your use slots as soon as possible so you can hold 1-2 hrs worth of these potions.

They only cost 1k each. By cider mule, I mean make another character and leave him at showa so that when you run out of ciders, just use the mule to purchase them and then drop trade them to your archer via fm.

Alternatively, you can vote on a secondary character and use the nx to buy hearty party bears in the cash shop. Whenever you need to buff, just go into fm and use that character to use a hearty party bear. The result is that everyone in the map will get a 15 minute buff that adds +20 attack, and +30 magic attack.

Choose hunter over crossbowman
    Crossbowman is currently a redundant class with no legitimate advantage over hunter.

Stay STRless in the early game
    Do not put a single AP into str even though you need it to wear higher level bows. Just wait for the maple bows which don't require any str. If your damage is lacking, feel free to 100% or 60% scroll your level 10 bow.

Don't worry about str untill you start getting close to level 100.

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. cglavatchi

cglavatchi Mano

Jul 3, 2017
    Male
    9:48 AM
    Magician, Brawler, Marauder
    Welcome to the server! Look forward to reading more!

4. OP
    OP
    svdk

svdk Blue Snail

Apr 11, 2017
    Male
    akashskyakashsky Not sure how to tag someone if that is even possible.. edit: we did it!
    • Thanks for the tips, it really helped knowing what to look for and it payed off because I got some decent cheap equips!
    • Didn't go with the Cider mule but kinda wish I did because the damage I was/am dealing is quite poor, might pick up some ciders here and there while leveling
    • I am leaning quite heavily to Crossbowman at the moment because I really like the flavor of the class but we'll see.
    Let's get to the update!

Part 2

In-game

Got some decent leveling done today, up to level 24 right now! Really wanted to get base INT to 100 but my damage was too horrid to kill some quest mobs and it just tedious so I decided to get 50 base DEX and then I'll dip back in to INT.
    005.png
    Bought some DEX items on the FM and got pretty lucky, but also spend quite some time looking in the stalls while watching The Last Kingdom (very good show imo).
    • Bathrobe +5 DEX with 8 slots for 1.5m(I put some 100%s on this and it really helped my damage)
    • Poorly scrolled Old Raggedy Cape +4 DEX for 250k
    • Green Bamboo Hat for 10k.
    • Clean Green Bandana for 300k, that I am reselling for some more mesos.
    003.png 007.png 004.png

Gachapon!!
    001.png
    Aaah, pretty disappointing, but after some more training I found one more ticket and got...
    002.png
    My first thought was to sell it but I it also quite nice for washing, so I am holding on to it for now.

IRL
    Work hours went by pretty quick but it was a rough day, dealing with a complicated issue that I can't seem to solve.
    After work I did groceries and cleaned most of my apartment (feel quite motivated to do some cleaning everyday)
    Also did some physio exercises for my shoulder and did some stretching, want to get back into yoga and running this month.

Thoughts
    I noticed that during playing I don't really make many screenshots, will work on that.
    Also still figuring out how I want to format these updates, this will take some experimenting I think.

• Like Like x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    svdk

svdk Blue Snail

Apr 11, 2017
    Male
    Part 3

In-game

Did some inefficient leveling/questing today, was really struggling to do the stuff I wanted to do because of my low DEX. I already started bumping it yesterday and I'll probably keep raising it till my damage stabilizes. Weapon Mastery skill from 2nd job will also help a lot I think.
    3.png
    This happened far too often today...
    I was level 26 in the picture above and below are my stats now.
    2.png
    Because I was having trouble with damage I decided to do some quests I skipped over with some easier monsters and it was pretty fun reading them all. Never really payed a lot of attention to them but will definitely keep doing it :)

I have been quite unlucky with the Monster Cards thus far, but quests and the cards are for sure things I want to focus on. Instead of playing super efficient it is nice to listen to some music and just explore the quests.

Found some Gachapon tickets as well
    1.png
    I will start hoarding them for now on so I can open more in one go.

IRL
    Work was slow today, spend most of the day doing some research and listening to music.

Decided to start doing the dishes straight after dinner so it doesn't pile up, makes future me quite happy since he doesn't enjoy doing the dishes at all..

Did some light bandwork and stretches for my shoulder, have an MRI Thursday and the doctor told me not to overexert it so I am taking it easy. Hoping to start yoga back up this weekend!

• Like Like x 4