1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

C++'s Scroll Price Guide (AVG,STDDEV,MIN,MAX)

Discussion in 'Items & Mesos' started by C++, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    6:56 AM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Feels like many people don't read anything in the OP aside from the price table

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    4:56 PM
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    People used to make profit off overpricing their scrolls, but now they can't OnionWhatever
    C++C++ I can't believe you are still on the guide, thank you so much ♡
    Can't wait to come back from my trip and see what changed scrolls merching wise!

3. Gang

Gang Timer

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    12:56 AM
    Gang
    Night Lord
    Demure
    Honestly, just remove the white and chaos scrolls and I bet nobody would complain about the guide. The sample size of them is quite small and most people just ask for offers with a higher price then usual, which is then noted here.

You can put disclaimers all you want but you know that in the end most people will just look at the scroll price list and nothing else.

• Like Like x 2
  4. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    this guide is annoying totally removes merching in the game which is nostalgic
    and there is never going to be a fluctuation of scroll prices they will always be the same no matter what the demand or supply is.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Because the guide is directly influencing the economy instead of acting as an intended reference due to flawed methodology.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Cora

Cora Selkie Jr.

Apr 3, 2017
    Female
    Germany
    Nier/EviHs
    even still it wasnt his intention to influence the whole economy its more about helping people which constandly ask p/c ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    3:56 PM
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    It is very frustrated for new players to not know the value of the scrolls and get ripped off by experienced player (talking from my own experience from the past). Compare to the amount of help this guide provides for the players, the influence/harm it has to the economy is insignificant. I would like to see C++C++ continue with this guide.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    7:56 PM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    This is an empty argument since you don't actually have any way to obtain and compare these things

9. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Intention doesn't really matter here. The onus is on the price list creator to ensure accuracy of prices. You can't just use unsold prices and say "welp, I put a disclaimer, blame the noobs for not reading it and jacking up prices." The bias in the collected data clearly leans towards unsold items and is perpetuating inaccurate information.

10. Cora

Cora Selkie Jr.

Apr 3, 2017
    Female
    Germany
    Nier/EviHs
    during the time he updated the prices they were accurate and from what i saw does prices can variat very quickly.
    if something doesnt sell means somebody else sold the same thing as you and had a better spot.
    people tend to a few characteristic:
    -overprice they have enough meso and can afford to wait
    -underprice they need meso quickly or try lowering scroll worth

you cant blame someone for the whole economy issues

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    1:56 AM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    It's not an empty argument, it's his opinion.
    Reading it helped me personally look at this thread in a different way.
    He didn't mean to argue that people should stop pointing out the negative effects of this guide, I'm pretty sure he just meant to share his opinion.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Let me give you an example.

The WS price doesn't make sense. Rates are increased since the summer and both the demand and mesos in circulation are down. So why are prices substantially higher?

Because the majority of WS are sold through ppl whispering. Those who don't sell overprice their WS in the shop and nobody buys. Since the data for the guide comes from unsold items, this causes people who refer to the guide to think the overpriced number is the actual price. The overpriced number becomes the actual price the moment a single buyer caves and the whole process repeats.

The economy follows the guide, not the other way around. People claim the guide prevents merching, but that's completely off the mark since the guide rewards people who overprice their items.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Slime

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    I find this post really informative, you made a good point and explained (to me at least) why and how this guide affects the selling of rare, expensive items.

14. Cora

Cora Selkie Jr.

Apr 3, 2017
    Female
    Germany
    Nier/EviHs
    okay i can understand the problem about that.

but let me ask you this:

if you were in his shoes, you create a guide that just follows prices you saw in fm1.
    when you created it and you just wanted to help everyone who were asking for p/c.
    suddendly everyone starts following your guide more than you could ever imagin,
    but than a problem shows up, people follow it to closely, more people tend to overprice and you change
    your trusty layout like you always did. at one point people start pointing at you, saying you are
    the cause of all this. you worked 10h for this guide checked frequently every few days to update.
    and now everyone start blaming you for high ws prices and other stuff.
    but you worked so hard for it so you cant just throw it all away.

how would you fix that?

(ps removing it from the list wont fix it since people can always check with owl really quick)
    (and than the overprice character kicks in since its a rare item)

15. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Well that's the kicker isn't it, I wouldn't have made a public guide with good intentions in the first place. Price guides do nothing but harm since it promotes stagnation at best and directs the economy at worst. A capable individual with more malicious intentions can easily manipulate the markets in their favour since there will always be people who follow these guides like sheep.

16. Slime

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    In my opinion that's a bit of a stretch, you can't actually know how much effect it has on the prices.
    Also CoraCora's point about Owls is valid too, since all the guide does is average unsold items in FM the results you get are exactly the ones people get with Owls.
    We also can't actually know how many people there are who "follow these guides like sheep".

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  17. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    3:56 PM
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    It all comes back to this statement by SucreSucre that I think make some sense. We could measure how helpful this guide to the players with polls/surveys (all the "Like" shows), but we can't measure how much harm it is towards the economy.

I have to disagreed with your statement that "price guides do nothing but harm". I am sure that there are plenty of people appreciate the existence of these guides because it makes the game less frustrated and easier for them.

18. xxinsanity2

xxinsanity2 Mano

Aug 27, 2017
    count me a sheep

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. yukkichan

yukkichan Timer

Oct 3, 2015
    Female
    Late 4 sku