1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Every single character could be missing out on 200 HP due to a possible bug

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dlite, Sep 16, 2020.

1. dlite

dlite Snail

Sep 16, 2020
    4:49 AM
    Specifically,
    • Warriors are missing +200 HP (from 20 extra washes)
    • Thieves/bowmen are missing +192 HP (from 12 extra washes)
    • Pirates are missing +216 HP (from 12 extra washes)
    • Mages don't matter ;) (jk, you're missing out on ~100 HP/~300 MP)
    You're probably wondering how. Missing out on 200 HP is no joke. It all comes down to a possible bug with the minimum maxMP calculation in the MapleLegends source code.

Code:
    MapleLegends formulas for minimum maxMP
        Beginner: level * 10 + 2
        Fighter: level * 4 + 56
        Page: level * 4 + 56
        Spearman: level * 4 + 156
        Magician: level * 22 + 488
        Bowman: level * 14 + 148
        Thief: level * 14 + 148
        Pirate: level * 18 + 111
    Those of us who have washed are all too familiar with these formulas. But just how many of us have tried to determine where the heck these numbers actually come from? What's the source? Could it actually be wrong???

The answer is... it depends. I'll spare you the details about private server history and how private servers can only emulate GMS. The important bit is that these HP washing formulas were likely sourced from Southperry.net and NOT actual GMS. For those of you who don't know, Southperry.net is an ancient forum that featured community-driven GMS data extraction. Unfortunately, most pre-bb threads were completely scrubbed of the internet. However, using internet archives, we can still see a mostly complete archive of the HP washing thread from Feb 2009. The formulas in that thread match exactly with what MapleLegends uses today (afaik). (Side note for you tryhards: these formulas show that you can squeeze out an additional 200 HP if you do ALL your washing in 1st job, as the minimum maxMP is lower for 1st jobbers).

But these formulas might be wrong. As I said previously, Southperry.net was an unofficial, community-driven channel for "hacking" the secret formulas behind GMS. Information was constantly being updated as members discovered new bits and pieces. While we only have access to the Feb 2009 archive, after scouring the internet I've found a modified set of formulas that were apparently updated on Southperry.net at least by April 2009, two months after our most complete archive.
    Code:
    <Minimums>
    (TimesLeveled = at that Job ex. a L25 Warrior has only leveled 15 times)
    WARRIOR
    HP per level: 24-28 +(Improving Max HP Increase) | MP per level: 4-6 +(Total INT/10)
    When using AP...
    HP: 20-24 +(Improving Max HP Increase) | MP: 2-4
    1st job advance HP: 200-250 | MP: 0
    Minimum HP: TimesLeveled*24+172
    Minimum MP: TimesLeveled*4+59

MAGICIAN
    HP per level: 10-14 | MP per level: 22-24 + (2*Improving Max MP Increase+Total INT/10)
    When using AP...
    HP: 6-10 | MP: 18-20 +(2*Improving Max MP Increase)
    1st job advance HP: 0 | MP: 100-150
    Minimum HP: TimesLeveled*10+64
    Minimum MP: TimesLeveled*22+38
    As you can see, we only have an incomplete splice of these updated formulas, and they're not too different from what we know from the Feb 2009 archive. This post is long enough as it is so I won't go into detail about the differences (hint: look at "TimesLeveled"), but the key takeaway is that minimum MP in GMS might actually have been significantly lower than the current values set in MapleLegends.

There's a lot of "maybe's" in this post. How can we find out for sure? The best we can do is compare our values to one of the only official sources of Maplestory: the BMS leak.

So as a wrap to this very long post, I would like to send out a request. To anyone reading this who has access to the BMS leak, would you do us all a favor and reference the true minimum MP formulas? We would all be very much obliged, and go to bed feeling that much more soundly. :heart:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. OdinSteinGuy

OdinSteinGuy Pink Teddy

Apr 16, 2020
    Male
    2:49 PM
    OdinSteinGuy
    I/L Mage
    Hogwarts
    There's another maybe - maybe the server debuffed/buffed the formula due to.. reasons...

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    8:49 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Hmmm so from the source you provided the poster does explicitly say: "Although that thread isn't 100% correct either... but it's by far the best (IMO)." and goes onto cite the formula in your post.

I think the discrepancy between what we know as the formula (see: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/hp-washing-issue.28380/#post-201736 for the official MapleLegends formula) and the one you posted is the lack of second job advancement considerations.

Most of the formulas have a caveat of "only works from second job onwards" and that's because each class gets HP or MP bonuses with second job. In the case of bowman/thieves its:

Code:
    Second Job Advancement Bonus: 300 - 350 hp / 150 - 200 mp
    Each wash takes 12 mp and if you got 150 mp from second job advancement gains, that would be 12.5 washes similiar to what you mentioned above.

In the case of magicians, I think it makes it easier to visualize that second job gains aren't being considered since the min MP formula you cited says: Level * 22 + 38.

Code:
    Second Job Advancement Bonus: 0 hp / 450 - 500 mp
    Which would understandably be why the minMP formula boosts up to Magician: level * 22 + 488

4. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    11:49 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    i thought these formulas were for minimum maxHP and not maxMP? or are they interchangeable

5. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    8:49 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Nah different formulas for hp & mp. I think he was talking about maxMP and how it factors into HP (by being able to wash with that excess MP)

[Fighter] Min HP Formula: (24 * level) + 472
    [Fighter] Min MP Formula: (4 * level) + 55

[Page] Min HP Formula: (24 * level) + 172
    [Page] Min MP Formula: (4 * level) + 155

[Spearman] Min HP Formula: (24 * level) + 172
    [Spearman] Min MP Formula: (4 * level) + 155

6. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    11:49 PM
    Potayto