1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

My MapleStory: Permanovice, The First Level 120 "Legit" Beginner

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Journeys' started by Hanger, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Hanger

Hanger Orange Mushroom

Mar 27, 2021
    Male
    Malaysia
    2:09 PM
    Permanovice
    Beginner
    GangGang
    Hello everyone! I’m Permanovice, and I have just become the first Beginner to hit 120 without leeching all the way! It has been a long 9 months progress. Originally, I had planned to release a guide at the same time I released this post, but I have since added a lot of detail onto my guide, so it was unfeasible to write one up to how I would like it to be when I eventually do release it. So instead, I will just release the guide in its own separate post, and keep this as a celebratory post.

Obligatory Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As soon as I saw the blue notification pop up, it was interesting. I had done it, the goal I set out to accomplish when I started the character was finally complete. There really wasn’t anything else left for me to do save endgame bossing. At this point, I was the first lv120 “legit” Beginner, first and only tier 10 ring “legit” Beginner, most quests completed on a Beginner and probably the strongest Beginner in the game (to my knowledge, maybe Otios is stronger, but I have a range of 567~4756 on a Fan, and I have yet to see that beaten). Yes, I know, stop being such a brag, but I’ve accomplished something crazy. I don’t think I’ve ever quite sat at the pinnacle in MapleStory in any way. So I would just like to thank everybody who has been with me up until this point, everybody who has helped me along the way and everybody who has impacted my life in their own special ways. So, this is it! Permanovice is officially retired! My MapleStory is finally complete!

Here’s some screens from my lv 120 Party, as well as what the Party Flyer looked like! I’m sorry to everyone who stayed until the end, it was a 7h long party, I just hope it was fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And also, for reminiscing, this was me at my level 100 party!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My girlfriend saved a surprise for me to Job Advance at my lv100 Party!
    [​IMG]

And The Lv 100 Omok Tournament - Of course, OmokTeacher won:

[​IMG]

There are so many memories I could share across my journey, but they encompass hundreds of screenshots. I think it's better if I keep those memories between those I shared them with, but I'd like to shout out a few. The first time I met my girlfriend C, kookiechan at LPQ. The time I passed out as GangGang was being created, and everyone took a picture around AFK me. The time we took our first picture as GangGang. The time I took a picture with my PQ crew at MPQ. Noam's lv. 100 Party. Deer's Lv. 120 Party. When C and I had our first wedding. Ducklings' lv. 100 party. All Beginner BPQ run. The first Guild PQ run. C and I's 2nd, 3rd and 4th weddings.

Training Permanovice

Let’s reflect a little bit about what training Perma was like. I did minimal questing and stuck to PQing from 21-101. This was definitely where the bulk of the run lied, largely because of waiting for runs. In OPQ, I would spend an entire week waiting for a run, forget MPQ where I was stuck there for a month at lv 77, with only 15 runs in (at this point, you would have to do ~100 MPQ runs for a rather bad pendant), before people started funneling through. Obviously from 21-101, the run was extremely strict in terms of XP to maximise all my PQ cards and rewards; and was essentially hell in terms of trying to level as I had to PQ to see my run and vision to the end.

From 101-109, I focused on Card Hunting and doing all of the quests in my quest log. Card hunting and questing is where I finally got into my groove of disciplining myself to train rigorously. This was the point at which I was the most active in the game. This might have been the most intense part of my run overall, as I would mostly be doing this solo. Where I needed, friends were happy to help me complete some quests that I could otherwise not accomplish alone. But for the most part, my effort was focused on Card Hunting. I was averaging around 15 sets a day when I got into the groove of it, all on a Beginner. By the end of it, I was done in a month, securing the accomplishment of the first Beginner to grind his way to Tier 10, and currently the only Beginner on the server with Tier 10. And a nice reward for me was actually making ~600m during this month from card hunting and questing alone.

From 109-111 I spent time with friends and my girlfriend following them across the world – a short break from the very intense Tier 10 Run. It was also during this point I decided to get ready and prepare myself for the intensity of Endgame Training.

And from 111-120 I focused on bossing and endgame training. Now, despite my gear which is probably worth between 2-2.5B at current market prices, I’m not a very rich man. Everything was spent to increase my range and trainability and bossability as high as possible. This means most of my XP in the early 110’s revolved around Voodoo XP, as opposed to the real endgame at Taipei 101. So in consideration of what it took me to level to 120, apart from bossing, most of my time was spent at Voodoos, and having friends help me do daily bosses such as Bigfoot or Ravana. When I could afford potions, I would then train at Taipei 101.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What now?

Well, the next thing is to finish my guide. This requires me to do all of the solo bosses I can do, I’m aiming to solo Leviathan, Dodo and Lilynouch, which should in principle be easily possible – as well as record videos for soloing all the bosses I have already soloed and the new bosses I intend to try. I have the HP, accuracy and the DPS for them. Current difficult bosses that I've already soloed include Headless Horseman (30 mins), Crimson Balrog (2x in 1min30s), Blue Mushmom (4mins), Captain Latanica (15mins), Geist Balrog (APQ, 34mins). The reason these bosses are ones I've soloed out are because they require really high thresholds for DPH, HP and accuracy. Beyond that I still have some figures to calculate for DPS per weapon and highest DPH for those weapons at lv 120. As a teaser, this is a small snippet of what I am working on.

https://pdfhost.io/v/WFO8p8PU7_The_Comprehensive_Beginner_Guide

I also still need to participate in Zakum and possibly Scarlion. I should have enough HP for both of them soon enough. I shall leave the next Legitginner who will surpass me the accolade of being the first one to participate and survive in Horntail. I also look forward to seeing new Leechginners reach new heights, and I’m so excited to see where the game’s highest level Camper Snuggles will take their Beginner in the next few years – if they’re the first to solo Bigfoot, that’s literally untouchable. And I’m also looking forward to participating in new boss runs with other future PogGinners that will be strong enough to take on Papulatus, Ravana and Pianus with me.

Other than this, you can probably catch me on my new Oddjob Battlesage, which is way more ambitious in scope than Permanovice, or my axe hero Paean, or even my islander Dreamscapes. But that said, I’m not playing Maple in the same way that I played Permanovice anymore. Yaboi deserves a good long break, and I’m bloody well going to take it!

This section overall is pointless, but the concept of “Legit” has been a rather important anecdote in my entire experience and journey of playing a Permabeginner. It’s not exactly pertinent to the post but for those who might have the same biases and mentality that I used to have when I first started, I felt like I needed to write this section after getting here. It took me until the end of my journey to really understand why this was so important to me.

In general, amongst the Beginner community, a poorly defined distinction is made between Grindginners/Legitginners and Leechginners. Both are valid ways to play the game. The ones who experience the journey of what it’s like to main and play a Beginner seriously. Leechginners have the flexibility to do whatever they want and reach the absolute peak of 200. The only problem with leeching is washing a Beginner to insane levels still takes years, and you have a subpar novelty character that is barely playable at that level. In my sincere opinion, the worst part about leeching a beginner all the way to some stupid high level for the rankings and in-game flex, is that you don’t play your character. You’re playing your level 200 XP God three times over to level 200 just to leech a Beginner to 200. You miss out on everything that makes a Beginner character what it is, all the experiences you could have, the challenges, the major moments of achievements like Level 70, Level 100, PQ graduation, Level 120, etc.; You miss out on the personal achievement of actually levelling and growing your Beginner, with your Beginner.

This isn’t to discount leechers in any shape or form. That’s one way to play the game and if in the end, you make the strongest, highest HP, most viable Beginner in the game, you’ve made a novel character that can do high level stuff – which is amazing. And for those that might feel animosity to leeching and a strong sense of dedication to the term “Legitginner”, one has to consider exactly what leeching means. Beginners in general will be close to useless in PQs what with miniscule damage compared to other jobs or no party skills or PQ specific skills; they will contribute far less to party grinding unless everyone is a Beginner; and they might require help with questing or even buying etc’s that they can’t hunt for themselves, or even just the idea of getting a Zakum helmet through a service. Leeching is so broad and unspecific as a practice that it could be argued that practically everything you do that involves anyone else is also leeching. Hence, if one really wanted to be stickler to the phrase, they would be an Ironman Beginner as the truest form of a Legitginner.

So, whatever your Beginner journey may be, rock the vibe with pride. You’re all valid.

PS: I did play with friends a lot, and I can confirm that despite almost all of my journey being selfgrinded, I did accept leech on at least 10 occasions, to varying degrees of XP ranging from 5% of the level to entire levels, with probably 3 or 4 of those leeches being at relatively low levels with full level leech. Does this impact the non-leech qualifier? If one takes getting leeched with no work done at all even once to mean so, then I guess that qualifier no longer applies to me. If non-leech implies that the overall experience I had as a Beginner was effectively without leech, then the qualifier stands.

But I guess ask yourself this seriously, what does all of that have to do with anything? Why does it matter? At the start, it was a source of personal pride that I didn’t leech. I stuck hard and fast to the identity of never even partying with someone that wasn’t a Beginner because that was leechy. But at some point, I wanted to spend time with my friends and I wanted to be present in-game with them. Had I sat and not played the game with them at all, my journey as a Beginner would have been a few notifications showing I levelled in the guild, with no one to really share that with. I would have never have had the funny anecdote of being kidnapped by a band of rogue Venezuelans that somehow managed to evade the RWT banwave way back when in March, (I know this because they were saying things like “They didn’t get all of us”, after I used Google Translate to find out what they were saying), shouting “Tranquilo” and “Virgindade” at me as they forced me to leech from 29-30 at Genins, and getting shouted at and followed and being coaxed to come back to Genins where they would then leech me and shout Tranquilo and Virgindade Majora as they forced XP down my throat. Or being “forced” to go to Ulu Estate 1 and FTP by my guild leader Nekokoro at the time to test her damage, and being called a fake Beginner leecher by both her and Minhy as they said, “Stay on the rope! Don’t die! Oh Card come take it!” Obviously, the fast XP was nice and great, and I stayed for that for 2 levels, but that’s not the reason I stayed. I stayed and leeched with them because they were my friends and it was fun. I begged my girlfriend to leech me, which of course she very willingly and readily did, not because I couldn’t level up from 110-111, but because I wanted to spend time with her in-game as we watched a film together. My journey became less and less about me doing everything alone, and more about doing everything I could with those who were important around me.

I will say that I identify as non-leech considering the sheer amount of effort, money, identity involved and time spent grinding by myself that went into my run as Permanovice. I didn’t sit down watching someone else level me from 1-120. But I did watch my friends on a few occasions level me up without doing much work myself, if at all at times. I just made an active decision that I would rather have spent time with friends in places where I would otherwise have no opportunity to go to. In essence, the more I’ve played a Beginner and worked him to sit at the very top of all serious Beginners, the less “non-leech” made sense to me. The less “legit” meant to me. I’ve grinded and “earned” almost all of my levels, and I’ve leeched some of them, and I would do it all over again just the same, because it made my experience playing maple that much richer as a Beginner, because every moment I spent with friends who “leeched” me through not just levels, but PQs, quests, Helm and Equipment Services, or cards, was another opportunity to spend more time with them. Do with that information what you will. I guess you decide whether you think I’m “legit” or not and whether I have the right to use the qualifier “non-leech” and “legit” at all; or maybe whether you end up at the same conclusion I did, that it doesn’t matter at all.

kookiechan, my love and my one and only, for supporting me and making this 10 month journey more than it ever could have been without you, for watching me through countless sleepless nights and taking care of me and making sure I took care of myself (to your best ability); OmokTeacher/Slime for inspiring and driving me all the way to where I am now; Deer for supporting my journey and not believing in me initially but still doing her very best as the Oddjob queen to help me get to where I am now; GangGang and my core group of Nekokoro, AcidPhreak, DorkMagician, Minhy and Samanco for celebrating, sharing and helping me all the way up to here; and from here on out, I was going to list out the names of everyone I could think of who helped me in some way, which ended up in a list of 150, so here's the rest of my personal shout outs. Noble and the rest of Chroma, for being our brothers and sisters since GangGang started; Cortical and the rest of Flow for being my vibe and my identity in the game; Lvl1Crook and the rest of Oddjobs for being some of the most supportive and coolest people on the server; AjLew77, Kalsha, MattyBoi, GimmeChiips and the rest of my PQ homies for struggling with me for so long through a major part of my journey; xfce and WindowsXP for being my first home; Ogden and Cannabis for vibing and being goobs; SadboySolari, TotalyBishop, Bishyup and Sleepywood for being some of the most amazing people and one of the best guilds on the server; Legend and Community for being some of the friendliest and most understanding homies on the server; Nightz, Ainz and Edann for being some of the coolest homies on MapleLegends; Mott for being the best GM; Qubert, Noble and kookiechan for being so integral to my Tier 10 Hunt; DarkCookie and Flai for being the absolute best carries and taking my sorry ass through countless bossing runs; Twice for letting me use their HQ for a present, shoutsout to Latch for the funny messages; LuckyCoin for being the absolute solidest homie and offering to help me wherever he could; SlCKOMODE for being in C's and my life as GodIsAWoman since before we knew he was always there, and never telling us; MudButtt for being the first person to ever donate to me when I first started on the server, being basically the original person who helped me take my first steps; x3Aburii for funding me so much that I can't ever repay the kindness he gave. Sorry I never joined SushiBar; Maestreaux and Novasphere for being one of our first friends; King, Coateh, teddybare and Wolfshot for being there and helping me get started even before I had Permanovice; copyditto and dimsumbois for being the sweetest people on the server; StickyRice and Yeonche for the constant vibes and memes; ploink, sashinmi and illooiminati for being some of my first friends on the game; and there's just so many more that I want to thank and name personally, but I can't possibly write the next 110 names down so easily as every one of the has their own story, and every one of them has had their own unique experience with me. So I instead thank everyone. All of my friends. All of the strangers I happened to meet along the way. You've all seen the start and the middle of my journey. And all of the people I named above have seen the end of it and how I got here. And the best thing for me to have collected across all the uncountable items, equips, scrolls, cards, and experiences, are all of these irreplaceable people who have made my journey what it is. It never really was about getting to 120, it was just an excuse to play with all of you and share something special with you. I love you all.

And last but not least, one special shoutout to my one and only, kookiechan. Without you, I don't think I would've stuck around as long or as hard. Without you, 2021 would have been abysmal and painful for me. You've watched me grow, accomplish great things, pass out in my chair as I accomplished said great things, and go through the most stressful and painful moments I've had through Maple. I love you, and you brought true meaning into my journey, and made me understand why I value my run as Permanovice so much.

Aight, peace y'all, thanks for the memories!

• Great Work Great Work x 23
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    7:09 AM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    You are an absolute MapleLegend

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    <3 Mad respect my boi, I remember seeing you come into the Discord as a new little nerd and look at you now.
    Still a little nerd, but a lvl 120 nerd!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    8:09 AM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    Congratulations! also good job black team we rocked!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nekokoro

Nekokoro King Slime

Apr 6, 2021
    Female
    CC1 FM18
    2:09 AM
    Nekokoro
    Bishop
    Gang Gang
    It was an amazing journey!
    And i'm glad to have participated even if a bit. Hope to see you continue your adventures, even if Permanoob is retired ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 5
  6. pjnob1e

pjnob1e Blue Snail

Feb 7, 2021
    Male
    1:09 AM
    Let's go Red! OP ginner leading the rest. Appreciate your reciprocated support as our sister guild! All love homeboy. Grats on 120!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. braidgame

braidgame Pac Pinky

Jun 21, 2015
    Pluto
    Outside
    Beginner
    Flow
    Truly the most magnificent moment for beginners to celebrate~MapleF14
    When in about 2018 self-grinding and pqing to lv120 as beginner is still a dream, now u take your pace to complete it.
    Congratz again, looking forward to seeing your new beginner guide.:pinkbean:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    I'ma say it, you are the embodiment of big dick energy

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    11:09 PM
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    ur epic :yay:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Cortical

Cortical Mano

Jun 19, 2021
    5:09 PM
    Cortical
    Beginner
    Oddjobs/Flow
    Congratss, Red :) Amazing that you were able to surpass all of us in 9 months, good job!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Isme

Isme Brown Teddy

Dec 21, 2020
    3:09 AM
    1sme
    Islander
    What an epic journey. Huge grats! :heartbeat:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  12. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    Congratulations!!!!!!

Lots of Effort and Sweat!!

OnionGirlLove

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Good stuff and a great read, it truly is all about the journey.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. darkcookie

darkcookie Mano

May 25, 2021
    Dark Knight
    I'm dying on the hill that the Gallos shenanigans is not leech because you were actively attacking and burning potions like hell. And while you argue it's the same thing because the money spent on potions is equivalent to paying me for leech, that's exactly why it's not! I wasn't paid, and you weren't afk. MapleF3

Also, you probably benefited from the fact that I almost never actually check or care about eph as long as it "feels" adequate. And I'm liable to spend more time talking that actually grinding.

Nonetheless, congratulations on the achievement, you soppy sentimental SOB (strongest of beginners).

Now come Pap and Rav.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. deer

deer Pac Pinky

Oct 27, 2020
    Female
    Oddville
    6:09 AM
    cervid
    Bishop
    Oddjobs
    Congratulations again!!!! You really are epic. Few people have been capable of taking MapleStory seriously in a way that truly appreciates all aspects of the game for what they are, and of really playing for the experience & vibes that come with it. To me, that’s the sign of a true “Mapler”, and your incredible level 120 achievement is the cherry on top of it all. You’ve been an amazing friend and an outstanding member of the odd-jobbed community here (not to mention the MapleLegends community at large), and I can say without qualification that I would have considerably less faith in my own endeavours to promote and enliven the oddball MapleStory community if it weren’t for your involvement.

I very much look forward to seeing you online in Oddjobs/Flow, and to you doing some boss runs and PQs with the Suboptimal folks (and other oddies)!! <3

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Maestraeux

Maestraeux Red Snail

Apr 10, 2021
    Henesys
    1:09 AM
    Maestraeux
    Bishop
    Novasphere