1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The current state of affairs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Unlucky, May 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    11:17 AM
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    NaviNavi KimberlyKimberly GiGi ClairvoyantClairvoyant BulbaBulba NoodsNoods PoofcakesPoofcakes BetwixtBetwixt SlimeSlime

Recently I have noticed a lot of discontent among my group and others across the server in regards to the existing state of affairs. People are becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the lack of progress and lack of information about progress on this server. The two hot button issues that I would like to talk about are Gachapon revamp/update and Weddings/Amoria PQ.

Gachapon revamp/update
    Some time ago, changes to the Gachapon system were implemented in an attempt to balance the system and create availability for certain items that were incredibly hard to obtain, as they were only obtainable from Gachapon locations where no one gached because of significantly lower rates resulting in lower overall profit when compared to mushroom shrine.

The general consensus among players is that it did not work as intended. The items that the market was lacking did become available, however, other desirable items and that were once readily available began to disappear. The disparity was merely displaced. The negative effects on the market were almost instantly visible. Gachapon now has a relatively low yield for desirable 30% scrolls, items, and Chaos/Whites scrolls. The market was left in a state of high demand and low supply, Resulting in inflation.

All of this created a backlash from the community and eventually led us to this post on December 9, 2015.
    http://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/the-grand-gachapon-thread.6868/

Option A2 received the most votes from the community, however, the staff chose to disregard the majority and implemented a different option (not listed) in a beta phase. Gachapon was left alone and silver 'Gachapon Ticket (Hunting)' was added to mob drops. Regardless of that, we all agreed that something needed to change.

At the time of the first anniversary update, the Gachapon tickets obtained from mobs became unavailable as of April 1, 2016. With many people asking questions, some staff members alluded to the new system being scrapped entirely.

The Gachapon revamp should be treated as a top priority. Having a stable and balanced economy is a very important factor and I believe it plays a massive role in wether or not this server will survive. The current Gachapon system is discouraging for everyone but most of all, it's especially discouraging for new players. Many people on this server and others servers share the similar opinion which is "Legends is shit now, the economy is fucked. It's too hard to scroll items due to the lack of scrolls and items."

I don’t have a definitive answer for fixing the economy and I don’t expect you to have one either but we have to try something. The negative impact this has on the server only grows the longer it’s delayed.

My first question is what’s happening with the Gachapon revamp?
    It would be greatly appreciated if you could give us a comprehensive answer, not something along the lines of "we can’t talk about that right now", "It's being worked on" or any other vague answer that leaves nothing to digest.

Weddings/Amoria PQ
    Weddings/Amoria PQ are high the players priority list. It’s enjoyable content and something that we would very much like to see.

As I understand it, Weddings/Amoria PQ have been on the staff’s list of priorities for quite some time now, in fact, it has been just over a year according to this post made by Navi dated April 23, 2015.
    http://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/monster-carnival.2059/page-2#post-28105
    This topic has resurfaced numerous times over the past year and there is still very little knowledge about its progress. Amoria PQ would not take very long to fix but Weddings are much more difficult according to this post made by Navi on May 29th, 2015
    http://forum.maplelegends.com/index...n-marriages-will-be-fixed-up.3640/#post-34676
    It’s been just under a year since there was any official update on this matter and I feel like it’s time that we got some answers

My second question is: Can we please get an update on wedding/Amoria PQ?
    I just want an honest answer as to what’s going on and a rough estimate on when we might expect its implementation.

General update.
    As I mentioned before, very little is known about what is currently being worked on. It would be great to know what the Staff has planned so we can have something to look forward to. Some of us are worried that nothing is being worked on at all, especially after discovering that some members of the MapleLegends staff has become far more active on the forum of another private server than that of their own server.

My third question is: Can we please get a general update on what is actively being worked on?
    Don’t be scared to give us some juicy details.

Closing thoughts:
    It appears that numbers online are dropping steadily over time based upon my own personal observations. Players are leaving for other servers or becoming fed up with what’s going on here. I’ve spoken with many players over the past few weeks and most were worried about the server’s future.

I understand that the Staff is busy and have put a great deal of effort into creating this server and keeping it running and I would like to thank the staff for doing so. I did not write this post with any intention of disrespecting or offending you, I’m just a deeply concerned player who wants to see MapleLegends thrive, not dwindle.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 40
  2. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    3:17 AM
    My main priority has been events. I really liked the Christmas event, and I wish I could've built on that to make something happen for Valentine's day, or better Holiday events. I've started to add new code for events (making it easier to host events), 3 weeks ago, but that's still unfinished...
    • My time is very limited (projects, exams, life)
    • Your group has caused a lot of de-motivation (and time waste) on my end
    Not being all to motivated, and having loads to do. Easy to see my priorities lay elsewhere at the moment. So there's that, in all honesty.

Just wanted to clarify this:
    This in particular is wrong. Option A2 clearly states to make items also available through gameplay. Where option A3 is to remove tickets from voting and make items only available through gameplay. The test phase obviously distinguished two types of tickets: voting and farming.

• Like Like x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    11:17 AM
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    Thanks for pointing that out. I edited the post to reflect the choices made by the staff more accurately. Please let me know if you disagree with the edit.

I'm glad to hear that you are working on events. I really enjoy them and i'm quite confident that the rest of the community does too.

I'm sorry to hear that my group contributed to your lack of motivation and I would like to apologise on their behalf. Sometimes our passion can get the better of us and lead to an impetuous decision. I was never really a part of those conversations so i'm rather uncertain on the specifics. would you care to elaborate on how your time was wasted?

• Like Like x 10
  4. Candy

Candy Timer

Feb 4, 2016
    Male
    9:17 PM
    sigh , there's no hope ;-;

5. Navi

Navi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Developer Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    Male
    Moderator Post
    Hi. Just providing a timeline for the reason for my inactivity over the past 6 months, as well as some progress updates for the future. Hopefully it provides some positivity for the future. I know one concern has been a lack of progress here compared to other servers, but I have always been of the opinion that it is significantly easier to make progress when you are at a lower starting point to begin with. The marginal progress a server can make decreases over time because all of the easier fixes have already been made. Furthermore, I do think a lot of the problems with inactivity here are related to the fact that we are significantly resource constrained (much leaner) compared to our competitors. This server is unfortunately a mid-level priority in my life, at best, while I am sure that isn't the case elsewhere; however, from a developer perspective, I believe quality is much better than quantity, and hopefully that resonates.

Timeline of Events:

December '15 -February '16
    I believe this would have taken place shortly after the Leap and Abyss patches went out. I was assigned a large scale project at work in early December (that needed to be coded in Visual Basic) with a hard deadline in mid-January. Spent a lot of time learning the language since my VB was fairly limited at the time, and spent a lot of time coding and pressure testing. As the creator, I was also asked to present it for rollout at 2 national meetings in Philadelphia and Las Vegas, which were in late January and early February respectively. After I got back, I recall working on some stuff and rolling out engagements, and some other bug fixes. My grandmother passed away in late February so I took time off, but made some more minor fixes in mid-March.

March '16:
    Since I was due to be on vacation for 3 weeks starting April 1st (unfortunate timing), I had a lot of work that I was asked to try to finish before I left, so I had a lot of late nights, and hence had no time to work on the server.

April '16
    Was in China and Australia for majority of the month. Got back and had more work to do that came to me while I was out.

May '16
    Currently in the process of replacing my personal laptop keyboard that had water split on it and has many keys that now no longer work. New keyboard is supposed to come late this week or early next week, and once it is re-installed, I would have access to source code again.

Insights:
    • I don't have much insight into Gachapon as it wasn't one of the features I spent a ton of time working on, and have not followed the discussion/progress of as of late. Rates can certainly still be tweaked though.
    • Amoria PQ and Weddings are still in the plans and were being worked on when I was doing engagements. I believe packets are all decoded now - it would currently be in implementation phase. I cannot provide an estimate until I start working on it.
    • Ellin Forrest PQ is still planned.
    • Finding a solution to the Error 38 group warp is still a top priority (although at this point it may be very difficult to find the root cause of, since it is not obvious what is causing the problem and it is not 100% known which patch caused the problem to appear).
    • CWK PQ is still planned
    • New areas to explore are still planned and were being worked on before I went on vacation.

• Like Like x 18
  6. Jean

Jean Wolfspider

May 6, 2016
    Male
    JeanLeaf
    Beginner
    NewLeaf
    hello staff and everyone else i wish you and others good luck me and everyone want this server become more better and awesome i know make server closest to gms is a lot work i still have hope for this server people need understand to be patient you guys are the only server that's fixed all quest that's the reason why i come here! i miss doing classic maplestory quests is a lot of fun mostly jump quests so i know you guys will do your bast to coding some parts of gms that not added to the server yet keep be awesome staff!

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Jean

Jean Wolfspider

May 6, 2016
    Male
    JeanLeaf
    Beginner
    NewLeaf
    calm down its not the end of the world the staff need to rest and take some break once a while

8. rewyuio

rewyuio Selkie Jr.

Jul 2, 2015
    Male
    8:17 PM
    Wicked,HolySpirit
    Dark Knight
    High,Project
    youd be suprised with the amount of patience of this server...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

2:17 AM
    I think many people are at the limit of their patience and as dom said, the number of players is decreasing quite drastically if i do say so myself.

I love the staff and understand how busy they are. Maybe focusing on one project at a time might be better in this case. (Ex: instead of working on many things partially, working on one and getting it done). But i have no idea how game development works so maybe that wouldnt help idk.

• Like Like x 7
  10. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    i mean for the past maybe month + or so (barring anniversary events) average online count is always less than 100 when it used to be 150~

• Like Like x 6
  11. Jean

Jean Wolfspider

May 6, 2016
    Male
    JeanLeaf
    Beginner
    NewLeaf
    i know but soon or later people going to move to other server for the same reason i been waiting pokemon rom hack "pokemon prism" to be finish but taking forever because the owner is busy in real life and now he going to move the map. script. etc. from gold to crystal so people need to wait even more longer are some moments that people don't have no choice to be patient

12. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

2:17 AM
    Thats exactly what dom is worried about. he DOESNT want people moving to another server. which HAS been happening

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jean

Jean Wolfspider

May 6, 2016
    Male
    JeanLeaf
    Beginner
    NewLeaf
    ...... oh my look like the staff need to make a idea before community go down even more! but i still have hope for this server no matter what some company have its up and down but the end will get better somehow

14. ChiefBandit

ChiefBandit Slimy

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    4:17 AM
    Mother
    Warrior
    Synergy
    This server is the best ive seen, sure the updates might have been slow but the staff just doesnt want to make mistakes so they use extra cautious. I tried playing other servers but from what i saw, this server is the least buggy of all by a large amount and the staff actually cares.
    I take alot of breaks, and I suggest other people to do it to if they feel unmotivated. I feel like this server will not break, it will keep on going, so go do other stuff until you feel motivated again. The stuff are doing their best for the server while still having their own life.
    People come and go, the community will stay strong as new people will arrive, 75% of the people playing I have no idea who they are, it just shows that the community will not die.
    Even if it takes another year to make everything work correctlly its still better then rushing stuff, because 1 mistake can do a huge harm for the server.
    Sorry for my English its late, just me mumbling my opinions.
    I dont disagree on a casuall reminder now and then to show that the community cares for the server.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Jean

Jean Wolfspider

May 6, 2016
    Male
    JeanLeaf
    Beginner
    NewLeaf
    your english look fine and you are right people should take a break and do something in real life or play other games than maplestory you can't play the same game forever or you will get tired and quit playing maplestory

16. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    7:17 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    To me the problem is quite clearly that the staff have lost interest in their own server. Blaming it on real life can only carry you so far and buy so much sympathy. At some point you have to acknowledge the fact that you simply don't have the time, the mental capacity after coding full-time for a corporation, or even the fucks to give when you get home in the evening, and you've got to either pass the torch or get more help to accomplish your goals.

But the staff here haven't been doing that. They're what I'd call a "philarchy" or a rule by friends or rule by clique. This both makes them extremely picky when it comes to hiring the help they need, and it also utterly cripples any of their decision making ability, because they will discuss issues for months on end before deciding to do (or not do) something. Good heavens, Gi even threatened to quit after donor points were actually made useful.

• Like Like x 14
  17. Jean

Jean Wolfspider

May 6, 2016
    Male
    JeanLeaf
    Beginner
    NewLeaf
    ....... i don't know what to say here but i hope the staff sort thing out i don't want this server to end

18. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    7:17 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well I'm not trying to say it's doom and gloom and the server's going to end... A declining playerbase is inevitable after the hype is all gone and people get tired of grinding.

The only thing you can really do is keep players preoccupied so they don't succumb to boredom so much (implementing cool events and content) and also what's important is keeping the economy balanced, so that one way or another there's less people quitting over the fact that they can't compete with other players.

We also need to retain new players like you JeanJean , and while I'm sorry you are reading all these complaints, I hope you do realize the server is still by far the best or one of the best simply by virtue of the fact that it's least buggy and not ridiculously easy. The problem is we as players are spoiled and always want to see more and more improvements, regardless of how good a position we're in. :D

• Like Like x 6
  19. Jean

Jean Wolfspider

May 6, 2016
    Male
    JeanLeaf
    Beginner
    NewLeaf
    i not that worry and i know this server is the best i like this community i meet kind people so far and everyone can understand my bad grammar (i think) and don't worry i been spoiled myself on games that's i didn't play like undertale are some games that i will never play mostly because i too lazy to buy it

20. Bradyy

Bradyy Slime

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    10:47 PM
    Bradyy
    Thief
    Hogwarts
    This server is still really great even though though players are decreasing but majority of the reason why people are leaving is because of the lack of updates, yes I understand that it takes time to code shit and make it perfect and that all the GM's have a life and work to do but the one big problem is that their multi tasking so hard for example they could be trying to work on 3 diff things. All I could say is that the GM's should work on 1 thing at a time to get it finished much more faster. Right now I know by fact once this Amoria PQ/ Wedding update happens there will be a spark of happiness and excitement in the MapleLegends community rather than just boring and quiet. All I can suggest is to work on 1 thing at a time, not 2 or 3. Also to get this done and now MapleLegends competitors right now is definitely OpenMaple knowing a lot of people from ML has left to go there.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.