1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Notice Users new to the server and YOU

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    7:33 PM
    Moderator Post
    So today I was in the mood to write some stuff again. Something I want to address this time is the way people introduce others to MapleLegends.

Something I think we could improve as a community is the way we introduce people to MapleLegends. Sometimes new users ask things, and it's expected proper answers are given when such things happen. One thing you need to remember is that new users put a lot of initial expectations on the first days on the server, and each encounter at the beginning matters a lot regarding this.

Example, let's say I join the Discord server and ask some basic questions. My first initial expectation is how the community responds to me. Is it welcoming? Is it wholesome? Or is it toxic? While I have mentioned this before, people usually assume the Discord community is identical as the one in-game. One thing I want to remind people is that Discord contains a lot of users that still hang out, but no longer play. Therefore, the community on Discord vs in-game can differ by a lot. Does that mean it shouldn't be improved? Definitely not.

Most people new to the server come to our Discord server, which is also where most of our activity is outside of the game.

While I see plenty of users doing this fine, I see people attempting to be funny towards new users, generally being sarcastic or giving a reply based on their 'known' personality. Users here would know that the person is attempting to be 'funny' but new users do not know this. They see this as a very poor and unfunny reply, and generally have a poor taste in their mouth already with the community, just from this encounter. You need to remember these people are new to the server and that they do NOT know you, nor are in the mood to hear your 'funny' reply towards their serious questions. I have posted multiple announcements on Discord before regarding this and how it needs to stop, but it still happens sometimes. Don't be sarcastic and attempt to be funny towards new users asking things, ever. It's possibly depending on YOU if this user considers trying the server or not.

Comparing other servers

There's times a user come on our Discord and ask things regarding another server. Most of the time it's Royals, which makes sense, since it's the other server most know of. As of right now 'Royals' has been mentioned '23704' times in-game alone, which doesn't even include all of them on Discord. So yes, Royals exists, and we know it exists.

Sometimes an existing member of Royals comes in our Discord and asks questions. Again, as mentioned in beginning, this might be to see how the community is. It's expected to be nice to the person, and show them what our community is like. We have plenty of users from Royals, and like any other user they should feel welcome, and not be treated differently just because they are a Royaller. Obviously, there's exceptions, such as someone straight up advertising it (or any other server). However, don't hate on the server for that, but on the user. DM us and let us take care of it and move on.

So other cases we have is 'what makes this better than <insert server here>?' Again, usually Royals is mentioned here. Sometimes people poorly phrase this question, so they will say something like 'Do you prefer MR or ML??' Obviously asking this in the ML discord reveals the latter is the answer.

However, if the person ask this question properly, here's how to respond to it. For one, saying 'Royals sucks' is an extremely poor answer. Not only do you not bring up any proper argument or seem inviting to what makes Legends a server to consider, but you, again, give a toxic feel towards the community. You need to remember that a lot of people trying Legends that came from Royals still actively play there, and may consider playing both. In short, they still LOVE Royals, so bashing it is just not a good approach at all, and likely discourage the user in even wanting to try Legends.

Instead, you point out the actual differences between the two, answers that are actually useful towards the user. Not only will the person know more, but they will think the community is inviting and informative.

You can also reference this topic:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/maplelegends-features.23369/

Most of this is towards our Discord. In-game there's plenty of people asking things too, and I expect people to give similar approaches towards new users as I wrote here. It's YOUR objective to make the new user feel at home, and not 'pushed' away for also playing on another server, or for being new.

There's times I hear that the Legends community is toxic from new users. It's a shame, and of course with every community there are bad apples. However, with this post my goal is to hopefully get people to try to approach new users better, not only for our community to be initially received better, but also because it CAN get more users, who may become loyal to the server as you are right now.

This is part one which focuses on our users approaching new users. I will make one more topic which will focus on new users approaching our community. While it's important that we treat new users well, we had times where people coming to Legends straight up harass / insult / bash Legends as a whole. Likewise for new users there's tips I have to give, and I try address that in my other topic.

We trust in YOU to take in our new users with love and care.

• Friendly Friendly x 23
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  2. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    I feel personally attacked, but you're right MapleF12

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    2:33 PM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I always try to help those new players on the server with mesos or information, even with the fact that I don't have a good english, and I personally think it worths more than anything. Having an active community for me is much more important than building my own character tbh.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  4. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    1:33 AM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Out of curiosity, how would you define a "new user"?

Say, person A has been playing Legends for 5 days, but has spent 16 hours each day on the game ever since he started (80 hours).

Person B, on the other hand, has been playing for around 1 month. He logs in everyday but only plays for 1 - 2 hours.

Well, this might not be the best example but I'm sure you get my point. Would you call person A a new user, whereas the term will not apply for person B?

Likewise, there are also people who play the server for a few weeks/months, before deciding to join the discord? Would you classify them as a "new user" too?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    In the end of the day you should be nice to everyone, not just new users. There's no real define what a new user is.

• Agree Agree x 10
  6. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    1:33 PM
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    The easiest answer is that it shouldn't really matter how long someone has been playing. If you don't know them you should be nice to them and try to be helpful. There is a period of time when someone joins a server where they are easily influenced on if this is where they want to spend their time or not. It's an individual basis and not something you can put a time on. You can't expect someone to know your personality when they never met you. Get to know people before you start joking with them. Being approachable, helpful, and friendly is the best way to make people want to continue to play here.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    This doesn't really make a difference to the concept of potentially feeling unwelcome when entering the Discord for (one of) the first time(s). In either case, you can come in, take a snide remark from someone you don't know, and get a very unwelcome feeling.

8. chunkssss

chunkssss Blue Snail

Sep 14, 2020
    Male
    3:33 AM
    Sethalt
    Spearman, Hunter
    I only started playing a few days ago, and have had a run in with toxicity a couple times. I played maple a bit in like 2010 when I was in early high school, but was never very into the game. So a lot of ettiquette from both GMS and private servers I just simply don't know and need someone to poke me in the right direction sometimes. I went into an area that someone was afk in - I just needed to kill a couple mobs for a lvl 30 quest. I was doing this for 5 mins~ on the other side of the map to the guy who was afk on a ladder. All of a sudden after a while he comes up and starts yelling at me "you want to get reported to gm for stealing my mobs? :D". I ignored him thinking he was just being an ass because of his tone - he continues to swear and be an ass so I keep ignoring him. Eventually a GM comes and asks me if I know what mapowner is. I tell him no, he explains it to me, I apologise and we move on. But as soon as the GM leaves dude goes back to calling me names and swearing at me. There are just people out there in online communities who feel the need to be rude instead of helping new players

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. prizkilla

prizkilla Red Snail

Aug 12, 2020
    Male
    Prizkilla
    Bishop
    Thanks for adressing this!

When I joined Legends 3 months ago, 50% of my replies were funny inside jokes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    10:33 AM
    Pepper that you? I didn't feel like the people were being "friendly" or "helpful" or even "approachable" so I left the discord, but then joined back and muted #General and blocked about 13 people but I guess everyone was being helpful, right?

What if a new player joined the server and didn't know how @mapowner worked or how its used, I've changed channels through Uwulu 2 (yes uwulu, ulu estate 2) and I noticed that a few players were on the vines at the bottom I checked mapowner there wasn't any so I took the map. Do I feel like a jerk for doing so? Yes. Was it stated in the rules that it's okay to take a map that has no mapowner? Yes, but I still felt like a jerk.

Having said this, if a new player stumbled across @mapowner and this happened to them.. and they went to the discord to ask for help not knowing how it was done, or in this case how it's used? (I'm kind of bad at describing things, most of the time.. so heres screenshots. with of course, no pointing fingers so I'll scribble over the names.)

1.png
    2.png
    Screenshot at Sep 16 04-50-37.png

11. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Don't go bringing that up again. Everyone stayed civil in that discussion, regardless of a very extensive discussion of you disagreeing with a system that everybody abides by.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Just stating it here to just show how things can possibly get in the server.

13. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    If someone continues to harass you take screenshots using print screen (we have a custom implementation to take high quality screenshots) and report them on the forums. Be sure however to keep the chat bar completely up or at least not to crop away parts of the conversation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    2:33 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    It's a shame that if I was who took your map, i'd just pty you and let you get kill count for quest
    or seems you're newcomer, just advice you how to keep map and CC myself.... I feel sorry for your experience.

I hope that episode doesn't harm you too much. you'll know soon there are many bad apples, but also awesome and nice ppls too. and meeting them, making friendship with them is most wonderful thing in this our favorite mushroom game, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. jackimaru

jackimaru Red Snail

Apr 24, 2020
    1:33 AM
    Glad that this point is addressed. As a player for more than half a year in the game, the general thread in discord is mostly toxic with some notable members that hang around there just being assholes to everyone in general.

But in-game many players are friendly and nice to everyone in general. So its indeed true that discord is definitely not reflective of the community.

Would be good if the MapleLegends Features thread is placed in welcome channel of discord so that users can find out more about MapleLegends. Even as a player for half a year, I do not know some points like the style saver.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. chunkssss

chunkssss Blue Snail

Sep 14, 2020
    Male
    3:33 AM
    Sethalt
    Spearman, Hunter
    Thank you, this message made my day

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Fluggo3

Fluggo3 Slime

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    Montreal
    1:33 PM
    Roost
    I/L Wizard
    Community
    I just feel as though the Discord isn't moderated enough. I'm not saying to have someone sit there and read the chats all day, but to occasionally browse through some of it. It's far too often that I see toxicity in the general chat and it's usually the same few names doing it day in and day out. In their minds they're being comedians but to any newer player reading how they're treating another member it's certainly a turn-off to the server.

Hopefully any of the newer players don't let the discord turn them away from the game where the majority of the population are really nice and helpful.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Xaple

Xaple King Slime

May 14, 2020
    Are we pretending that some dickhead that you can ignore in Discord who represents a fraction of the Discord community is comparable to a new player learning he needs to vote for over a year to have a chance in hell of competing at the top end?

Lets not be silly...

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  19. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Style Saver costs 10mil mesos for each to get your hair or face back.. its to expensive.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    The purpose of the Style Saver is to save Event Hair and faces, so you are no longer limited to one of them. Technically, it can be useful for EXP hair/faces as well. 10 mil is a completely acceptable price once you get to late game.

• Agree Agree x 4