1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Account Sharing Bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProTato, Aug 11, 2017.

1. wokkie

wokkie Mushmom

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Banned
    12:17 AM
    OnionMuha

we all know staff treats people better when they are friends with staff and kim. If kim hates you, you are fucked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    7:17 PM
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    Hilarious. Noone gets banned for acc sharing for such a long time and out of nowhere I get banned yet it's always been enforced.... sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Taida

Taida Mixed Golem

May 30, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    6:17 PM
    Solstice
    There was someone banned like 1-2 weeks ago for it, unless you count that as a long time

4. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
  6. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

11:17 PM
    I've said this before and during my time in staff, but there should be consistence in banning.
    If 1 person gets banned for vote abuse, the others should too.
    Same with account sharing.
    It shouldn't be done in waves randomly once a year or when someone feels like it.
    Nor should 1 individual be banned (unless specifically reported with a LOT of proof) without other "rule-breakers" being punished as well.

I am more than positive there are staff members that are aware of people breaking such rules.
    All ToS rules should be enforced, or removed if unenforced.
    SideNote: Account sharing is against the rules it almost all MMOs

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    1:17 AM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    I also had trouble understanding this rule when I first read it. As a kid I used to share characters with my siblings and cousins but now it's not an issue so I forgot all about it. After reading all the arguments here I understand it better, but it still seems like a grey area. Of course, as long as it's against the terms that you signed on there's nothing wise about doing it anyway but this seems like a fair topic for debate and whitelisting under specific conditions.
    I don't know what's going on with staff favouritism, hope that's not the big issue here. Sounds like something that belongs in Royals. If someone is reported with evidence they should be banned, simple.

What's the status on siblings though, out of curiosity? Assuming staff were aware of it, or told/asked for permission, for instance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    4:17 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I think as long as the staff here are doing everything they can to ban all offenders while not mistakenly banning innocent players, that will be good enough. It's a perfectionist fallacy to say that if they can't ban every single person who broke the rule, that it shouldn't be in place at all.

If they have evidence that someone broke the rules but did nothing, clearly that would be wrong, but I doubt this happened.

Maybe the problem is some players think they are scrutinized more than others. Well, with 4000+ players, it is hard to monitor everyone. Maybe Franco was "unfairly" watched more than other players. But then again when you're so far at the top, what do you expect?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

The issue comes when they KNOW who breaks the rules and only ban SOME

Edit: For example, vote abusers vote abuse almost every day and some are pretty obvious about it. Yet people arent banned for vote abusing every day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lily

Lily Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2015
    Female
    UK
    Lick
    F/P Arch Mage
    We'll always take appropriate actions against people that have provably broken the terms of service, but we're comparatively a small team, and simply can't be everywhere at once. Any time we have knowledge of an player breaking the terms we'll look into it, which is why players making us aware of some that may be missed is always appreciated! :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    As much as many of you would like to think Kim is running around waiting for one of you to break a rule because you have some beef with her, it doesn't happen. The majority of bans aren't even handled by Kim. We have grown drastically this year which in return has caused many new issues to pop up along with many character issues, most of which need admin assistance (to which Kim being the only active Admin that is literally here every single day for this server). When I joined the staff there were only 5 pages of character issues to which is now 23 which doesnt even include the "donations" & "Account recovery" sections along with @GMs, PMs, the support ch in discord & all of the the staff's questions (since if you haven't noticed are mostly new and trained by Kim).

The "ban waves" are simply reports that people made to which no one has had time to look at due to lack of staff members and an increasing population. I as well as the other staff members do our best to be fair when it comes to a report or situation. Unfortunately I do not know all of the rumors on whos account sharing/vote abusing nor am I part of any inner circle within Legends. So I will say it again, if you have any evidence of someone breaking the rules or even suspect someone of breaking the rules, feel free to make a report in the "report abuse" section.

As the GM that did the ban, Franco was not targeted. The account he got caught using had been reported for account sharing with no evidence multiple times. Therefore when I happen to stumble across it buffing in the FM and decided to check on it, it appeared that Franco seemed to be the unfortunate player using the account that day. If a staff member with logs wants to dig through the account more, they can, but as for me it is above what I am capable of doing. I would imagine you would know FrancoFranco , that if someone truly wanted to fuck you over specifically, they would have banned Enough as well.

At the end of the day being a staff member is nobody's job, it is a volunteer position. No system is perfect. We all donate our time on top of work we already have that exists from either school, a real job or both. If it was as easy as knowing everyone that breaks a rule, then things would be a lot easier.

I don't know how to be anymore transparent then this.

Thanks for the snipe LilyLily <3. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I really don't get how you can claim there's not even a semblance of bias against Franco. I'm not sure how long you've been around on the server, but in the past there have been two specific instances of Franco being victimized with copious amounts of evidence and the staff did absolutely nothing.

Now 2.5 years of handwavy enforcement of a lot of rules, and Franco just happens to be the first one to get nailed when there are many others that have bent the rules much, much more severely and more frequently?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Feel free to lmk who.

And I apologize he was caught using a SI mule that did not belong to him to which most likely contributed to his sunshine count for the current event. I didnt mean to make him a victim.

14. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    That's not my point. It's just funny how the rules don't matter when someone else breaks the ToS to screw Franco yet when the situation is flipped (save for Franco not screwing anyone), suddenly rules are rules and he gets isolated.

This is a bit off topic, but I just find it kind of fucked up that nobody even apologized to Franco for those two incidents in the past. There was almost a sense of smugness in the tone of communication when denying him compensation at the time. Now it's all going full justice boner saying "sorry rules are rules". If rules are really rules then Franco would have gotten his gear back and Charlo would have been banned long before his apples thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't enforce the rules. But like Julie said, either be consistent about it or remove the unenforced stuff from the ToS. It's pretty fucking bullshit that Franco gets treated like this and have rule enforcement selectively applied to him after all he's done for the server, especially in the early stages.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    There is also the fact that you are abusing your own account share rule.

Considering the part in bold would mean the warning and permanent ban for second offense should only apply for the shared account, not who the person shared his account with. Banning Franco for this is the same as saying GM abuse, you can't ban someone without it actually being on the rules. And if you say it was already how you considered it, you should have changed the rules to be specific to what you meant.

The whole situation is just stupidly biased.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    So I should have not banned him for account sharing when I caught him because of what he has done for the server?

[​IMG]

As for the other past stuff, I wasn't a staff member during these past incidents nor do I care much for drama so can't really say anything about that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    He didn't share his account :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    ok thx for reading

Do you seriously not realize what you sound like right now? To me, your message seems to be that the rules only apply if Franco is breaking them but if Franco is adversely affected by anyone else breaking rules then he can go fuck himself.

Funny how you seem to imply this current situation is "justice" while previous incidents were "drama".

20. Lily

Lily Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2015
    Female
    UK
    Lick
    F/P Arch Mage
    The ban duration was consistent with other account sharing bans of the past 2 months (I'm unable to speak for bans performed before this, as I wasn't involved).

• Like Like x 1