1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Account Sharing Bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProTato, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Frisk

Frisk Pac Pinky

May 3, 2015
    Female
    1:55 AM
    Kasai (new main), Amira (old main)
    F/P Mage
    Labyrinth
    I feel like IF account sharing is going to be allowed, it should be clearly stated in the Terms of Service that the staff is not liable or responsible for conflicts you have with the person you share the account with.

For example, the person you trusted your account to has taken your stuff without permission? Your fault. You trusted them, this is YOUR responsibility.

The person you share an account with has used up all of your mesos without asking? Boo hoo. You decided to share the account. This is your fault.

The issue shouldn't be the identity behind the account, it should be more what the account does. If it hacks ANOTHER player, or harasses ANOTHER player that is not involved in the sharing, then it's up to staff to ban them or take any sort of action. But if something went wrong between the 2 people that shared the account, they should not be able to rely on Game Masters because it's their own fault, and GMs shouldn't have to take any action to this

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    [hernan grinding team picture here]

3. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    8:55 PM
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    [​IMG]
    TriHard

• Like x 10
    • Funny x 6
    • Agree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Creative x 1
  4. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    thanks TriHard

5. McCree

McCree Slime

May 26, 2017
    2:55 AM
    I think it's highly comical that these ''Game Assistants'' which I've never seen do anything relevant, are only enforcing absurd things and defending them without providing any logical argument to doing so, neither questioning the actual reasoning for a certain rule or something similar. It's like a herd of sheep.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  6. Serin

Serin Game Moderator Staff Member Game Moderator

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    8:55 AM
    I don't know if this is an attack to us (probably just me cause I'm the one replying) as a Game Assistant, but yes, I am new, but have been doing things behind-the-scenes, along with the other Game Assistants where you probably have 'never seen do anything relevant'.

You can belittle me for whatever reason you are assuming things, as I'm happy I can at least humor you.

7. McCree

McCree Slime

May 26, 2017
    Keep replying out of feeling, just shows how unprofessional you are. I am here to play, not to be a doormat.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    Thank you for your input. ^^ Thank you for playing MapleLegends.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    And you wouldn't even be able to play here at all if it wasn't for the staff team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. McCree

McCree Slime

May 26, 2017
    So your argument is that no one can question bad decisions/rules/whatever, because they aren't a part of the ''staff team''?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    No it isn't. You should definetly question bad decisions, that's how you can make improvements, but calling them sheep simply because they didn't argue about a rule is silly. They don't have any obligation to do so.

My reaction was to your ungrateful attitude.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    9:55 AM
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    is working "Behind-the-scenes" as a game assistant just code for spawning mobs in GM maps to fund yourself nowadays? TriHard

• Funny Funny x 16
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  14. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    8:55 PM
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    We've been hearing the "behind-the-scenes" answer since 2k15 TriHard

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  15. Colin

Colin Orange Mushroom

Jun 8, 2016
    Male
    6:55 PM
    Trinative
    Dragon Knight
    Basic
    Yes, it is against the ToS to account share. However, let me say this: if we're talking about moral ethics, is it really wrong to disobey a bad rule?

In addition, the staff hasn't stated a legitimate reason on why account sharing is bad other than that it is stated in the ToS and account stealing scandals would be more prevalent(which I feel like could be easily dealt with by stating it is at an individual's own risk).

I can't see a more flawed argument than the basis of your stance being that the rule is being "enforced" just because it is in the ToS. I do apologize for coming out rather aggressively in my previous post and soon-to-be this one, but where the hell would the world be right now if all the past civilizations followed rules just because it was stated in law? If that were the case, then here, in Texas, the fucking three-fifths compromise would still be in affect and unpaid servitude would casually be a norm; history shows us what works and doesn't work, which is why every form of human interaction is supposed to evolve and progress. I do believe it is rather clear that account sharing being a ban-able offense is an outdated rule, as shown by the controversy this thread has stirred up. At the end of the day, the goal here is to make the best server possible, and I know this stance many others and I are taking is one step further in that direction.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    5:55 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    McCreeMcCree FriskFrisk

Maybe it is time to do some thinking for yourself. Let me help you!

Why is hacking bad? Sure, it's clearly against the ToS, but it's also a bad thing. It has quite the potential to ruin the game for everyone. Imagine duping, creating godly items, infinite mesos, invulnerability, insta kill bosses. You take away all challenge from the game, and thus it isn't fun, and it's not even fun for others.

But let's say you hack and you don't affect anyone but yourself. Maybe you are content to keep your own duped stuff to yourself, and you're the highest ranking player but you solo everything and don't help or trade with anyone else.

Clearly, you wouldn't be hurting anyone else, but what you're doing is still against the ToS. There is a way the game is meant to be played, a way the staff means for you to play, and they don't want you playing their game if you don't follow those guidelines.

Want a better reason than that? Well, many players tend to be very competitive and envious of one another. Whoever is the highest on the rankings, who has the best DPS, the most mesos, the best gear is a big deal to them. It doesn't matter if you don't affect anyone else. They will tear you down for achieving and acquiring things in the way they didn't. Consider that many older players got triggered when the cost of AP resets was going to be reduced. This would mean new players could achieve what they did in terms of HP washing with far less time/effort put into voting and start getting more stuff from gachapon earlier. And they went mental.

It's the same thing as why we go nuts over people doing drugs in sports. Even though a person isn't hurting anyone (except maybe their own health) using things like steroids for training and during sporting events is considered against the rules, in order to ensure a more "fair" and "safe" competition.

Now consider account sharing. Aside from violating the ToS and playing the game it was not intended or allowed, doing this doesn't hurt anyone else. All you're doing is just giving yourself or a friend a buff ... from a character that you did not create or level yourself.

Here we have a view from the "competition" side of the argument again. Nikki gave a great example. Say you are bad at jump quests, but your little brother is really good at it. It's "unfair" to other players, who have no siblings good at JQs or trustworthy friends good at JQs to do them for them. Consider the same viewpoint with the rankings. People take rankings very seriously, and to many, it's "unfair" if someone is #1 on the leader board just because they have a bunch of friends who are super serious about the game, dedicated to grinding the game so they can achieve the #1 spot by collaborating on a single character.

Now onto the "safe" analogy, there are risks when taking steroids, and there are risks when sharing one's account. Maybe the staff just wants to prevent you from taking unnecessary risks as well? Ask yourself, why do you wear a seat belt in your car? It is against the law to do otherwise, but you aren't hurting anyone except maybe yourself if you don't wear a seat belt.

---

Aside from that reasoning, that's all I've got. Not satisfied? Go make your own game.

I have wanted to make my own online RPG game, and if it existed, my ToS would state that each person could only have one account, and each person could only have one character. Account sharing and character sharing would be illegal.

Why? Because that's how I want the game to be played. Going to debate me on that? Please, no. Not interested. Go make your own damn game and make up your own rules for it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
  17. McCree

McCree Slime

May 26, 2017
    What people have been asking here is _WHY_ is it a rule and they haven't been answered.

Yes, this is what you would do if you wanted a server where you play alone. That is not how you handle a big community though. Telling people to go fuck themselves is what you do, when your narcissistic ego gets in the way and you're not ready to make changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    I can see your perspective on this as well, so I will tell you now that as staff member, we are to make sure that we ourselves and players both follow the legal terms of service. I understand most are unsatisfied with my response of "because the ToS states it", however, if players are so truly bothered by this amendment, I can only ask you guys (and have been asking) to debate and think amongst yourselves be it via thread or in private then bring it up to the Feedback and Suggestions with constructive criticism or whatnot; where we can forward it to the people in charge of making amendments to the Terms of Service for even a tiny chance of it being changed if must.

I am in no position to go against or question the Terms of Service, only to make sure people abide by them, so I hope this is an understandable factor as well.

19. fryber

fryber Windraider

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    Out of sight, out of time
    6:55 PM
    OpTiC
    Sniper, Marksman
    Beaters
    After reading through this thread, I do want to ask as a humble player who is outside the machinations of the staff team, how does the community actually make progress on repealing the account share clause from the ToS? A community poll and discussion thread that has started to take shape in this thread, but in all likelihood it will more or less mirror the AP reset change (or therelackof, although we seem to have our cast with slightly different alignments from last time). In the end, it seems to be beyond even the GMs and interns, whom have declared their role as law enforcement. So... KimberlyKimberly ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Frisk

Frisk Pac Pinky

May 3, 2015
    Female
    Kasai (new main), Amira (old main)
    F/P Mage
    Labyrinth
    As much as I appreciate your detailed answer which surely has put some more perspective for me, I can't help but get at least a little bit salty at this passive aggressiveness:
    As I've said before, I'm neutral about this topic. That doesn't mean I don't know how to think for myself. I have actually said multiple things how I feel about this situation.
    If there is an argument I have something to say back to, I will.