1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Account Sharing Bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProTato, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    7:49 PM
    Nikki
    Assassin
    way some vets have been acting on the forums lately is pretty cringeworthy. After being punished for breaking a rule you don't scream 'but everybody else' (especially if you're not actually going to snitch) and you deeeefinitely don't scream 'durr but when I lent my gear out and didnt get it back was also attack from evil staff pity me'

bonus: whining about the needed deflation combatting gacha change was major MapleF8MapleF8MapleF8 too

in regards to maplelegends importance each players stretches no further than the +1 they add to the online player count, no clue where some oldies are getting it mixed up

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Frisk

Frisk Pac Pinky

May 3, 2015
    Female
    2:49 AM
    Kasai (new main), Amira (old main)
    F/P Mage
    Labyrinth
    Still haven't gotten a clear reason from both sides
    Why is account sharing bad?
    But I also haven't gotten an exact reason why it should be allowed.

I can't be on one side until I have proper arguments, and frankly, neither side has presented them.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Serin

Serin Game Moderator Staff Member Game Moderator

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    9:49 AM
    Logs have most of the proof when it comes to account sharing. GMs and Assistants dont have access to that. Therefore they cannot fairly ban anyone unless they just go to the person and ask "who is this". Using only IP address is extremely flawed and cannot be used solely to prove account sharing either.
    Yes, we do not have access to these 'logs'. However, if we suspect or have viable proof that a user is account sharing, proper measures are to go to ones with access to and let them know so they can look into them before we even attempt to ban them.

I also agree with you on the point of 'bias', however I do not and can not relate to it as I myself as a player have reported my friends for their wrong-doings and now as staff, have banned all of them. This is not anyone's faults, only a matter of respect and loyalty which I see many players are too afraid(?) or a bit touchy on to 'report' their friends. Maybe even in staff (as you guys seem to claim) there are people who are hiding things from the team, but it is out of our control to even suspect who is hiding what. It is also unhealthy behavior.

However, if you guys are confident that someone is hiding something behind the scenes, privately PMing an unrelated staff member with the proper evidence would also be appreciated if it will put you at ease.

Again, regardless of this debate (which will probably never end as each side their own), the ToS states it is an illegal, ban-able offense.

There are many positive and negative factors of both sides, which I as a person can understand, but again--- remember what you agreed to upon creating an account and playing on MapleLegends.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Frisk

Frisk Pac Pinky

May 3, 2015
    Female
    F/P Mage
    Labyrinth
    Okay, let me rephrase then.
    Why does the ToS state it is an illegal, ban-able offense?
    and, to the people that want account sharing to be a normal thing:
    Why should the ToS be changed to favor account sharing?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    9:49 PM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    You are not answering Frisk's question which is: why is acc sharing on the ToS?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    To be frank, whoever is in charge and created the MapleLegends ToS must have outweighed the pros and cons, and decided to go with the cons.
    This however, should not be brushed off as a "just cause dey sed so" matter, but a simple "i have agreed to the terms of service" upon when you created the account, to play on the server in-which you as the player agreed to this 'someone's" terms and conditions as they fixated the amendments upon the ToS.

7. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    It is possible that other servers allow account sharing. Good for them. But as long as you are playing in this server, you are to abide by the given Terms of Service/Rules.

8. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    the game is skill based. the game is competitive. not everyone has the same skill. not everyone has the same amount of people at their disposal to play for/with them. different people have different skills. the account using different people with their varied skillsets will usually advance further than the one player account, all other variables held constant

time available between 2+ is another, albeit weaker, argument against sharing as one person could likely handle 15-16 hours of maple a day averaged out whereas 2+ could go around the clock

COMPARISON TIME!!! What is the logic behind multiclienting/self leech being permissible and account sharing not so much?

ANSWER: Barriers to entry! Sure, the self leecher gets a leg up on the competition as does the account sharer, but for the former that is only because they first tackled the necessary entry barriers. Non account sharers cannot remove the barriers to entry account sharers use multiple persons to remove. The system would thus be unfair due to not providing equal opportunity for the same outcome between players

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Frisk

Frisk Pac Pinky

May 3, 2015
    Female
    F/P Mage
    Labyrinth
    Yes, I agree to the Terms of Service, which is why I follow them, but that does not mean it shouldn't be open for discussion.

If not even staff can properly answer the question "Why [this/that]..." Is it even worth to keep the rule in the first place?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Frisk

Frisk Pac Pinky

May 3, 2015
    Female
    F/P Mage
    Labyrinth
    While this is a good point, I want to mention something someone else said previously in this thread; even though it's one account, it's still the same amount of time put in.
    If you have 2 accounts and 2 people working on each of them, lets say one got their character to level 30, and the other got it to level 50
    This took them both a fair amount of time.
    But if we took that time, and put that in one account instead, you can possibly have a level 70 character on only one account. The only difference is that it's done on one character, but the same amount of effort and time was put in

11. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    I am looking at the bigger picture of what is official.

However, as I am also a player; I can give input as to why account sharing could be deemed both positive AND negative, but this is not something I personally want to be debating about as I am completely fine with how the ToS is right now. (But again, this is just ME.)

If a proper debate and constructive criticism/ideas can be given out, I do not see why not? Please feel free to continue as I only entered this conversation as things were getting heated in the wrong places as lack of communication from various sides were taken into point.

If this were to be continued via threads, I would prefer it be made in the Feedback/Suggestions area, with minimum trolling if anything is to be considered.
    We are always open to feedback, but please do not confuse constructive criticism with criticism itself.

12. Frisk

Frisk Pac Pinky

May 3, 2015
    Female
    F/P Mage
    Labyrinth
    Which I can totally respect, I'm also just here for a civilized conversation about a decision that the community feels strongly about. So I wish the whole Franco drama was put aside since it doesn't belong in this thread

I will definitely try to give more of my opinion if I have any, but for now, I have put my thoughts out here for everyone to read. Until someone opens up a new perspective for me, I probably won't take sides for now

• Like Like x 1
  13. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    Thank you, and yes, please remember there is not only 2 sides of which is right or wrong/bad or good. There is also a neutral position. ^^

14. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    Yes, this example is why I think that total time spent is a weaker argument than skill. All have enough skill to complete most of the tasks in the game given enough time, but exceptions exist.

The zakum jump quest for example. Why should you get to have a chance at killing a boss for a sick helmet just because your brother is autistic and wrecks jump quests? I don't have an autistic brother!

Skill based parts of the gameplay are why this rule is in place and kimmy would voice that if she wasn't total shit at english. Shes learn it or quit type when it comes to that stuff. Yet still allows self leech because she was worried none of these losers that are whining now would play her server. What a phony MapleF8MapleF8 I would bet thats a regret now that the server would be popular with or without self leech

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    8:49 PM
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
  16. Frisk

Frisk Pac Pinky

May 3, 2015
    Female
    F/P Mage
    Labyrinth
    I... Honestly don't understand lol. It's probably me being an idiot but I didn't really get it the way you phrased it.
    By skill, do you mean that the people sharing an account with a "skilled" person have more of an advantage than less "skilled" people? Skilled AKA, more experience, more understanding, etc

17. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    I mean that 2 or more players combined skill is on average higher than a single players

while I meant skill as in literal reflexive pushing the right button and moving at the right time, experience and understanding aswell

In the most general terms possible, 2+ minds are better than 1. Both in planning and execution. That (I think) is the base logic behind the reasoning for outlawing account sharing, not to use it as a scapegoat when someone ticks you off and you wanna give em a cheeky ban

18. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    8:49 PM
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    also in GMS people would account share so that they could rotate grinding the same account (competitiveness) so that they could get maximum uptime

19. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    heard Hernan ran a trafficking cell south of the border solely for the purpose of purchasing the finest young ninos to grind his bishop

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    No1 reason it isn't allowed is probably to maintain character integrity. Meaning if you speak to someone you'll know who it is.

• Agree Agree x 1