1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

My Philosophy... on X-Mas 2020 Balance Changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Tango

Tango Horny Mushroom

Feb 27, 2018
    Male
    2:26 AM
    Chronicles
    Paladin
    With 2020 coming to an end, we have experienced another Balance Change within the server. I won't be discussing too much about the changes in general, but I do want to focus on the "Hot Topics" within the changes: Shaolin Temple and Macros. Here are the sections regarding Shaolin/Macro changes.

Shaolin Temple monsters are now able to jump and are immune to freezing
    • After studying the techniques of those that came to kill their brothers, monsters of Shaolin Temple have now acquired the advanced skill of... jumping and immunity! This should make the map less dull and clustered, and more alive!

The following skills can no longer be added into a skill macro:
    • Legendary Spirit
    • Dragon Roar
    • Meteor Shower
    • Blizzard
    • Genesis
    • Dash
    The reasoning behind these changes is due to the massive usage of them when it comes to multiclienting.

You can read the whole article (if you haven't yet) for all changes here.

Based on the feedback from the ML Community, the majority say I/L Archmages are now considered NERFED and can no longer grind in an "effective" manner. Also, classes with Ice-elemental attacks, such as Paladins, Marksmen and Corsairs, have suffered "collateral damage" because they are no longer able to train there cause they can't freeze.
    Based on the statement of I/L mages being "nerfed", THIS IS FALSE, AND EVERYONE KNOWS THIS. In regards to Ice-elemental attackers, there are alternatives on bypassing this hiccup.

I'll start with the Ice-elemental attackers before I get into the I/L Archmages. These may not be 100% effective, but here are my suggestions to try out before jumping ship:

Paladins: Heaven's Hammer does an insta-200k damage (or lowers mobs to 1 HP) on use. By casting HH once and also using your Charge Combo (or even rush if they're 1 HP), you easily clear out all mobs. The lack of Freezing for Paladins should NOT BE A BIG ISSUE if you can basically 1-shot them.

Marksmen: You have a skill called Puppet. USE IT. Yes, there are Wooden Fishes in the map that can hit you constantly, but if you can't deal with the damage dealt from those annoying F%#KERS in the first place (trust me I hate them as much as the next guy), don't bother training there.

Corsairs: Sadly, Corsairs do get hit with this a little hard, but the only other thing I can think of is to do the following: Setup a Macro with Ship (Dismount) > Blank Shot > Ship (Mount). At max level, Blank Shot 100% STUNS up to 3 mobs for up to 4 seconds, but because you'll need to be more attentive to maximizing DPS without getting hit on your Ships this is the only Macro that I can think of that can help.
    ***EDIT: It is confirmed that Wooden Fishes can be frozen, so Marksmen can freeze the fishes and puppet the Monks for the best efficiency. The same goes for Corsairs freezing fishes as well after remounting their battleships.***

Again, these ideas are just me brainstorming ideas on alternatives to training there. Definitely take a shot at attempting these before you decide that Shaolin is no longer viable for you to train at. And now.... The I/L Archmages.

EDIT: I/L Archmages do the same damage at Shaolin. The only change is the inability to freeze, so if you can man up and tank the hits, I/L Archmages will be fine grinding there.

For this section, I'll just be listing off alternatives to what I/L Archmages can do instead, as well as list off some pros/cons.

Road to Oblivion 4/5:
    Pros:
    1. Decent money-maker. Since Pink Bean's release, Time Pieces are now on the market to make new equips/gears for Reverse items, so this can be a somewhat decent money maker (until prices start to go down because Timeless > Reverse).
    2. Great EXP/SPAWN Rates. Based on the MapleLegends library, there is a total estimate of 18 Chief Oblivion Guardians, 4 Oblivion Guardians, and 1 Eye of Time in the Road to Oblivion 4. In Road to Oblivion 5, there are 21 Chief Oblivion Guardians and 2 Eyes of Time. Doing the math, Blizzard can hit up to 15 mobs per cast, which can ultimately lead to over 200k+ EXP per 1-shot cast. Giving the benefit of moving around the map within the 10-second spawn times to hit all mobs (which is hard enough to scale unless you use the teleporters), a I/L Archmage can possibly gain over 2 MILLION EPM. (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE correct me on the math if it is wrong).
    3. Low-Profile Grinding. Because most players do not have access to the Road to Oblivion, finding a map can be easy and there will be less competition.
    4. Elementally Vulnerable to Ice Attributes. Pretty self-explanatory. I/L Archmages don't need to be "Godly" to one-shot these mobs, but that doesn't mean they're easy to one-shot. They do have 141k HP after all.
    Cons:
    1. Locked behind an extensive questline. This is basically self-explanatory, but for those who don't know anything about ToT, you are required to kill 999 of each mob before you can move onto the next map. (Trust me, it's worth doing all of it.)
    2. Small market for Leechers. Unless they have reached this far in the questline, selling leech to other players may not be viable. (I'm not sure if using a Bishop's Mystic Door allows other players to bypass this, but if so this should be patched fairly quickly to prevent any abuse. If it is not, you can smuggle your HS mule and potential buyers into Oblivion 4/5 for the time being with the help of a Bishop who is far enough to do such.)
    Neo-Tokyo (excluding Overloads)
    Pros:
    1. Same EXP Rates. Hey, remember when they buffed NT mobs to be on-par with Shaolin 5-6, which also got slightly debuffed in EXP? ... No? Well, I did. And guess what? THEY'RE NOT IMMUNE TO ICE.
    2. Coin Farming/Drops. Not the best for farming for drops, but there's a few good scrolls you can grab from these mobs, depending on where you are training at. Coins, in general, can be used for crafting, so go sell your crafting services to other Maplers who need it.
    3. Low-Profile Grinding. Because most players do not have access to Neo Tokyo due to the extensive questline, finding a map can be easy and there will be less competition.
    Cons:
    1. The questline SUUUCCKKKSS. I, as a non-mage class, struggled with this issue because nobody was wanting to run bosses to allow me to progress further into Neo Tokyo. However, if you can find a team to give you Boss Clears, this won't be too much of an issue.
    2. Almost impossible to sell leech. Flying mobs, auto-aggro, magic attacks, etc. (Are you starting to notice a trend here?)
    Back to Basics (Petrifighters, Skeles, Newties, Dukus, etc.)

*** I don't need to go into Pros/Cons for this cause everybody knows this. Not everyone wants to go back to the basics, but it's better than nothing.

I haven't talked too much regarding macroing, but I'll keep it short and sweet. I UNDERSTAND WHY the Balance Team did this, and I am in FULL SUPPORT of it. Having ONE SINGLE MULTI-CLIENTER hoarding 2+ maps to leech makes it unfair to the rest of the people wanting to grind in such maps. Sadly, this does not stop those people from doing it still, but it's at least one step in the right direction.

Conclusion
    In short, everybody is OVERREACTING to Shaolin and I/L Archmages being "Nerfed". I literally provided other alternatives to try and get past the issues people keep complaining about, and if nobody is wanting to at least test out those alternatives then you don't have any room to complain. Yes, it does suck that we all have to endure "change" in our lives, but it's part of human nature. Nut Up or Shut Up.

Eventually, a new over-powered Meta will be discovered and it'll most-likely get nerfed too, repeating this whole cycle all over again, so there's just no point in complaining.

As for leechers, specifically multi-client leechers, they can all die in a fire. Hoarding maps to exploit potential gains does not help the reputation of this server being LeechStory or MapleLeechends. Instead, it results in having changes like these that ruin the experience for everyone else. Be as mad as you want toward me and my opinion about multi-clienters, but I'm glad they are no longer given the luxury to "Netflix and Gen".

As usual, all feedback is welcomed, but here's my two-cents.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    4:26 PM
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    Implementing a change just to cover up an existing problem and not tackling the root cause is just meh, even worse affecting players who wish to play the game correctly.

Like what the staff had said making it harder doesn’t mean it’s not possible to do so, and people will find a way to do so eventually. The whole issue will be just a rinse and repeat.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    I thought it was obvious that the balance teams are constantly finding ways to discourage leeching - or specifically selling/buying leech. And when something bad happens to the leech economy, lots of leech sellers gets angry.

I don't have a mage account, so I can't relate. But is LeechStory fun? I for one, cannot stand grinding 7f for more than 40 minutes. I have no idea how people tolerate hours of selling leeches.

4. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    5:26 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Just personal wishes.

let 1~6F mobs immune to freeze and jump, but don't touch 7F.
    sairs and MMs are innocent from that 'braindead effortless 2IL-duo leech' and even if 7F still gets frozen, IL won't sell leech in 7F since there's no afkable spot in 7F anyway.

still have a small wish to see below happens

[​IMG]
    (translation : Magidlekarp used SPLASH, nothing happened) - written in korean.
    Nice nerf for 7F grinders since they'll get way lower EPH cuz it's hella fun to see, hard to focus on grinding lulz

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. wang8d2334

wang8d2334 Blue Snail

Mar 26, 2020
    Beginner
    Netflix is necessary for a great leech seller

6. stomachache

stomachache Horny Mushroom

Mar 11, 2020
    Tokyo
    5:26 PM
    Remorse
    Hero
    Colors
    Eh, honestly I don't think grinding at Neo Tokyo as a mage is fun at all, especially with the insane amount of debuffs you get and there's like literally only four maps there.
    Odaiba should be okay-ish to grind but the Overloads are annoying as fuck, Park map is super big and I don't think it's even efficient grinding there. For NTPQ it should still be alright but again, unless you have like another client that has unlocked the NT prequests up till NTPQ to HS yourself while you're there, the potion/ACP cost is not worth it for the little experience you get there. Not to mention the limited amount you can enter NTPQ per day.(I've solo-ed NTPQ on my I/L and it's not that bad, but just I'd rather grind at Petris or somewhere else). For Akihabara rooftop, the map is annoying for your pet to loot stuffs on and the map is pretty wide too, casting blizzard twice or thrice to kill like 3 or 4 Eruwaters and then repeat the process countless time isn't worth the pot money. Tokyo Skies is just ass.

And I don't really care about Shaolin mobs jumping around but making Blizzard not being able to freeze mobs is just weird. While Guardian is buffed to give "tankiness" and "survivability" to warriors, I/L mages at Shaolin are having an identity crisis.

And I don't think theres really the need to tell all the multi-clienting leechers to just die or something.
    If you don't like leeching, just don't leech lol. No ones stopping you from grinding alone or with your friends while not leeching.
    Some also made the effort of making their mules or what-so-ever too. For example, the SI nerf for mages hit me like 3 weeks after I made my SI mule lol. Guess it's I shall go die for trying to have my buyers enjoy higher EPH to make their money worth.

Brb imma go die in a fire.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DarthLord

DarthLord Mushmom

Jun 4, 2019
    4:26 AM
    Assassin
    Being honest here but this server will always be regarded to as LeechStory until the staff actually tackle the problem of HP washing and just make it a non issue with either manually giving the needed classes (Bowman, Thiefs) a boosted HP increase of say 2k HP or make more equips readily available at the start for new players journeys that grant HP so they usually don't get pissed off and end up quitting when they keep getting asked if they washed or not when they already made it passed 4th job.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    5:26 AM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    I know leech its a "counter productive" thing on a server that is supposed to be "challenging". but its kinda clown trying to discourage it cause actually its the only way to make mesos that is not getting boomed by the economy. bossing became so worthless in mesos now (especially HT) and also scrolls are getting undervalued too. as its true that leech became the base of the economy in all this time on the 5 years the server its up. i think its too late as always to try to change a thing that became a hard base on the economy. but ok you guys have your reasons to still discourage leech.

Also, i dissagre on that part of neo tokyo grind. i dont think any I/L are going to want to grind there. its a waste of pots and all-cure potions and even in the best part for grind (2100 Map) the eph its pretty garbage. those map are so so bad designed and the buff was done in a wrong way. i would not call it a buff at all cause it didnt solve anything.

AS i dissagre like everyone that I/L cant freeze on shaolin, i mean, why an entire class have to get punished for some sweaty players that are using all the features? because if you can do it and its legal its called a FEATURE. but whatever. in my honest opinion. Shaolin shouldn't never existed in first place. and its the worst idea that was implemented on this server. as a reason why level 200 doesnt worth anything and its easy like a 4x rate server. Shaolin is harmful to the server and you guys know it. this stupid counter-measures only bring more polemic and not a solution.

Alas, i have a love-hate relationship on all balance changes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. ShadowRealm

ShadowRealm Chronos

Jun 18, 2018
    1:26 AM
    Shadower
    Typical balance changes reactions.
    -When something gets nerfed.. "omg people crying/ranting about their class nerfed because their usage became restricted WAHHHH. CHANGE THE SHIT BACK OR IM GOING TO UNINSTALL THIS GAME. " 2 days later they continue to play the game only pretending nothing ever happen.
    -When something gets buffed.. "OMFG LETS F**** GO HYPPPEE TRRAINNNNNNNNNN, PLS FINISH PATCH ASAP LEGGO"

I/L still has obv4 though... and that was the norm ever since shaolin never existed. Still don't get why people get upset that I/l can't freeze anymore.
    You can always smuggle HS Mule? Just tp rock over there and provide door to others for leech. I just don't get it....
    Shaolin is op to begin with, accept it. Nerfs have to be deserved.

• Like Like x 1
  10. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    You’re not able to enter oblivion4 unless you have finished the quests for it. Tele rocking and dooring won’t work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. braaan

braaan Mano

Dec 16, 2020
    Male
    3:26 AM
    brxndon
    Buccaneer
    Agape
    Just like some people enjoy bossing for hours other enjoy grinding for the same amount of time. I know I do. ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    4:26 AM
    DMsRebirth
    The real pepega parts of the balance patch are the def increases. I have absolutely no idea what the staff is trying to achieve with that (20 def is like 10 points of damage reduced)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I'm a casual player, I have a full-time job, and I don't have time to organize HT runs that take ~3 hours for 2 runs.

But I do have time to sell 2 hours of 5-6 leech on my IL or grind for 2 hours at 7F on my Shad. I personally like having the ability to pause whenever I want, which you can't do when bossing.

People have different preferences. I like that when I duo mage with a friend, I have someone to talk to for a couple hours as opposed to focusing super intensely on HT seds and dispels.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  14. thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Also is everyone forgetting that you need 1418 TMA to 1-hit at Oblivion 4? LOL I'm pretty well-funded as a mage (better funded than my Shad) but even then I'd have to get to level 190 for Oblivion 4 to be worthwhile. Let me just pull 25 levels out of my ass real quick.

IL isn't dead or necessarily unplayable with these changes, but I don't think it was fully a good idea to implement so many nerfs all in one patch.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Alden

Alden Slime

May 13, 2020
    Male
    bishops nerfed.. i/l nerfed.. guess whos next

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    I couldn't tell if this was a serious post or not, so if it isn't just ignore my comments.

I think you missed the point of the majority of comments in the posts. Most people were complaining about class identity. There is no reason to make an I/L over F/P. I know you may not understand this because you have never played a mage before so I will fill in the gaps in knowledge that you may not have.

For most mages training progression looks like this once they hit 120: utilize shaolin to get to 130, 1 hit ulu2 until you can 1 hit petris, 1 hit petris, and then finally make the transition to 5-6 shaolin. You can do shaolin at any conjunction post-120, but this is usually the optimal path to be able to upgrade your gear and afford pots via selling leech. Because most training spots involve 1 hitting the mob, I/L only really get to use their freeze advantage at 5-6F which is now gone. This means there is no reason to ever make an F/P over an I/L. This is problematic in terms of game design.

I'm confused as to why you think you can hit 15 mobs at once at ob4 with blizzard. Spoiler: You can not.

I'm not sure why you admit you are a non-mage player but are commenting with so much authority on alternatives for I/L's. None of your alternatives are actually viable alternatives. You'd be better off just sucking up the change and attacking at 5-6 without the freeze. You also seem misinformed on multi-channel leeching if you think they are hoarding maps; I promise you the level 12x bishops hitting 20-30k lines at ulu2 and the 14-15x bishops with no funding soloing 5-6 maps while doing 40k lines are a much bigger problem than anyone multi-clienting or mutli-channeling at any map.

Also I'm going to go ahead and say you might want to seek out a therapist if you feel so strongly about leech in an online mushroom game, going so far as to tell leechers to "all die in a fire." Big yikes from me.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2