1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Winning Dice Roll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mouse, Jan 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    12:37 AM
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    I didn't play Legends when people were doing the dice roll (RollRoll 100 command).

I'm back after a couple of years and seeing the dice roll is disappointing. I thought it was nice at first, because that meant no one had to keep track of who was going next (especially since users in parties change so often). But my oh my people are greedy with this!

Can we all collectively agree that if someone wins a roll, they shouldn't roll the next round? I've seen people get 3 wins in a row. It just doesn't make sense and it's unfair.

Fairness, I thought, was the point of the dice roll!

Let's stop being silly rabbits (trix are for kids) about this.

• Disagree Disagree x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    11:37 PM
    How would it be unfair if the roll starts off fresh?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Fluggo3

Fluggo3 Slime

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    Montreal
    2:37 AM
    Roost
    I/L Wizard
    Community
    It has nothing to do with being fair or unfair, it's RNG. Just as that person won 3x in a row, you could have won 5x in a row. The reasoning behind rolling for drops in PQ's is to prevent arguments and leaves the decision up to chance, if you lose you lose.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. naice

naice Slime

Feb 7, 2019
    Male
    2:37 AM
    shopify
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    But why be greedy? Don't you want to see others get stuff too? Or are you physically incapable of it

legit question

• Disagree Disagree x 10
  6. JosephMis

JosephMis Slime

Sep 27, 2020
    Male
    3:37 AM
    Where is the greedy at everyone sharing the same chance to get an reward for something everyone worked on?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    There's nothing wrong with asking, but on the chance that the subsequent drops are better or more desirable than the first, it would be unfair to block the first winner from a chance at obtaining it. Rolling for drops is just a tool that allows for quick conflict resolution. It's not a set rule, just a commonly followed one.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    Is there a reason to be particularly picky about this aside from being upset that luck ends up favoring others? I don't think it's really fair to dictate other people's decisions in such a way and hardly see it as being greedy. While you may see it as unfair or people being greedy, its still more preferred than the arguing over who gets drops. Surely you could make your suggestion an unwritten rule and just ask, but there isn't really a reason to force others to follow it. Most people wouldn't question the validity or fairness of rolling when they are the ones with the streak of wins, but have a bias against it when they're the ones losing. I personally just stop rolling once I get all my cards or have no need for the drops and just leave it up to the rest of the party to roll for it.

While your proposed collective agreement is made in good faith, its not something that can (or should) be enforced. The only reason people follow rolling for the most part is because they run the risk of getting banned if they don't. I doubt a majority of the players would agree to further complicate rolling for drops to make it more "fair". An unwritten rule that no one follows is as good as a rule that doesn't exist. Still you can always ask for every party you're in, but I wouldn't except most people to agree to it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Don't know why there has to be a "collective agreement" lol. Some groups do progression runs for Horntail drops (i.e. everytime MW20 drops, highest roller keeps it, then doesn't roll again for the same book later if they pass it). If you want that kind of agreement, then you have to have it amongst your own party.

If I was rolling for PQ drops and won 3x in a row, it's 100% fair. Because it's RNG. That's the point. If you don't like it, then come up with a different solution within your party itself.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    This is a good point!

I think a lot of people in here are purposely missing the point to justify their greediness. I just don't understand the mentality behind trying to always be the one to obtain all drops even though you are in a party of people helping you defeat the bosses. Dice rolls are equal, but they are not fair. I think people are refusing to accept this.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    This is a good point too. Having that agreement beforehand makes sense, for sure.

12. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    You're right! It doesn't make sense for me to talk about fairness if I'm trying to argue that my opinion is the one that matters. That I agree with now and feel that these are terms that should be discussed beforehand in the party! I have seen people ignore those terms, though, even if they were agreed upon prior to entering a PQ, so I tried to push my point out of projection.

But I do genuinely think a lot of people in this thread are confusing equality and fairness. They are different.

Everyone has the equal chance to win 3 rolls in a row.
    But if someone is never getting a roll over 10 (hyperbole), then calling that fair is just laughable tbh. Luck and RNG have nothing to do with fairness. Fairness, I think, can only be accomplished through clear communication between party members.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    Genuinely happy to see someone not refer to RNG as fairness, but this is a thread about fairness. I don't disagree with you that RNG has nothing to do with fairness. Quite the opposite, in fact.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    Mine was sort of a TL;DR but the party works together at killing the final boss as a team, and so at the end everyone has a chance at rolling for it.

(quoting a great response)

(quoting a good response)

(quoting a well said response)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    8:37 AM
    Moderator Post
    I am not quite understanding this topic. I mean, a lot of this game is all randomness. Example, someone may use 3 30%'s on a perfect weapon and have them all working on the first try, where you have your 5th booming. That would be 'unfair' in the same sense but it actually isn't unfair because it's pure randomness.

How PQ cards get distributed all depends on the leader, so you should speak to the leader about that, or be the leader yourself.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    You can't compare something accomplished individually to something accomplished within a party though. That has nothing to do with community interaction.

This discussion is literally about fairness within a party, specifically relating to the dice roll command. Or at least it's trying to be lol

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    You're giving yourself too much credit to claim yours was in any way a tl;dr version of those well thought out replies.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    7:37 AM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    MouseMouse it seems most people commenting here aren't understanding a valid "social niceness" question.

One reads so many comments about how Maple is such a great social place/game with a great community but when it comes to sharing drops a lot of people get selfish.

Rolling is a valid method to determine who loots, sure, but it can be such a cold/mechanic way to share drops.
    Wouldn't it be nice to get yours and let other get theirs?
    Even if the 2nd run drops nicer stuff, stuff that you need/want, couldn't you just, talk or ask about trading drops? What ever happened to the social aspect?!?!

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. JosephMis

JosephMis Slime

Sep 27, 2020
    Male
    3:37 AM
    "fair" by google
    1. in accordance with the rules or standards; legitimate.
    1. without cheating or trying to achieve unjust advantage.

It's weird to think someone is greedy because of randomness. The same way I could win 3 rolls in sequence I could lose them (and it happens lol).
    I know what you mean when you're thinking about situations that can make people feel bad, like seeing someone winning multiple times during a party roll, but there's really nothing wrong with it.
    As previously mentioned by other people though, there's absolutely nothing prohibiting anyone from creating custom rules for their own party! Just make sure people agree with it beforehand, because not doing this is what would be really unfair.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    8:37 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    What's stopping you from talking about drop distribution within your party? Like posted on this thread before if you want to deviate from rolling just do so.

Some people do not care for drops and others are just happy they get to gamble.

At the very least rolling gives everyone a fair and same chance while not needing to communicate too much or cause too much confusion.

And some people are just greedy lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.