1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Render Pink Bean Susceptible to Debuffs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gurk, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    4:05 PM
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Pink Bean is immune to debuffs, i.e. the Hamstring, Blind, and Threaten trifecta, if you will. This is something that's long been known but has never really been mentioned or brought up by staff or by players and is simply something that is accepted to be true. This "immunity" is entirely unique to Pink Bean as every other boss in the game is susceptible to these debuffs, which makes it a bit of an oddity.

I assume this to be an arbitrary characteristic that simply carried over from the GMS implementation of PB, but I wonder if there is a compelling reason for it to remain this way. My only thought in this regard is that the Blind and Threaten debuff animations alternating with and obscuring the DR symbol could prove potentially problematic, but on this I have two things to say: one is that Hamstring does not share this issue as the debuff animation would be on the body and so does not contest the DR symbol, and two is that the issue above could be addressed by simply having the DR symbol take priority over the other two debuffs (that is to say, when DR is active the symbol should not swap with the other debuffs).

Now, hypothetically, if Hamstring could work on PB, would it somehow trivialize the fight? I think not as it would have very little impact on how ranged characters engage with the boss. It would however have the benefit of making the boss more friendly and inclusive towards melee characters, which is a cause I assume most of us champion, while also furthering the relevance of BMs in the fight who are often entirely overshadowed by MMs there. Blind functioning on the bean would have a similar effect in that warriors (and mages) stand to gain by far the most from it (by virtue of how blind works) whereas the benefit to other classes is barely noticeable. I would say something about Threaten but in its current state it probably wouldn't be too relevant.

I believe that the benefits in allowing debuffs to work on the bean would significantly outweigh any perceived cons associated with its allowance and am thus proposing that PB be stripped of its unique debuff immunity privileges.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Great Work x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Wait why do all the buccs complain about hamstring and repeatedly tell me to not use it

3. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    6:05 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    allow seal and you won't see that dr at all

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Allow stun and doom while we’re at it

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    i actually think a change like this would make pb too easy and open up some degen dual attack setups

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    8:05 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Agree to make our pog threaten op c.c

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    7:05 PM
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    Allowing hamstring to work on PB would make it way too forgiving for poor maintenance of aggro/positioning. I actually think hamstring is honestly broken in general.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    If they were telling you not to use it during body, I don't have any idea what they're on about. But during statues, hamstring apparently makes statues look frozen.

Could you shed some insight on why that might be the case?
    As far as I can tell, I don't think hamstring would normally affect ability to maintain aggro or how often the bean would face left so I can't personally see why it would make dual client attacking significantly more feasible, especially given the seds and zombifies, but I may be missing an angle.

I can see that it could make mistakes via delayed reverse barrages for those who dabble in the art of barrel dancing a bit more forgiving but unless the bean ordinarily makes use of guerilla warfare tactics and frequently employs hit-and-runs on the heart of the ranged squad, I see the only real beneficiaries from this leniency being the melee attackers, which is rather sort of the point. As for the snatchbots, I don't see hamstring having a particularly positive impact on their control other than on the frequency at which they'd have to snatch.

9. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    I'm not saying that hamstring makes it easier to control the aggro, but rather that in the event aggro is lost, the situation under hamstring is significantly more forgiving as PB would barely move out of the ideal position during that time (without hamstring, a de-aggroed PB has the opportunity to walk left and cause difficulty for all players, ranged and melee alike by forcing people out of their ducking safe zones, and requires more effort to be brought back into the ideal position).

10. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    That's fair. I guess the differing squad experiences made it a bit harder for me to understand as I've personally never had to move out of my ducking safe zone on my archer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    I'm surprised to hear you say that especially after Thursday's PB run.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Okay, let me clarify by saying I've never had to when there was actually a bucc present doing their thing :^)

13. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    But that's exactly my point. Hamstring would make such situations far more forgiving. It doesn't really make sense to disregard the utility of the skill by only looking at best-case scenarios when it isn't needed.

I could actually further apply your analysis and say hamstring is trivial at BGAs because my squad always keeps it pinned and never misses their holy shields. We all know such an argument would be ridiculous.

14. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    To be fair, I would also say looking at a worst-case scenario where the buccs are MIA (when buccs would ordinarily be present in every run) to demonstrate that hamstring would be too strong is a bit lopsided. Also, I'm in no way disregarding the utility of the skill since one of my main arguments is that it would be a large boon to melee characters and allow them to perform at a level closer to range.

15. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    It isn't lopsided. Such situations, as rare as they may be, can and should be catastrophic for the run and not be potentially saved by a broken fail safe mechanism such as hamstring which would allow a squad to keep PB on a certain side of the map for extended periods of time even when there is no one alive to re-position it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    I guess the question I would present is whether the benefit of having melee characters be much more viable at the end game boss (in addition to giving BM more utility) outweighs the negative associated with lessening the severity of such rare scenarios. I would say yes, though I do not discount your concerns.

17. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    Fair enough. I guess when we get to the crux of the debate, my answer to that question would be no, and I would rather cleave get buffed in a way that doesn't make the boss easier in general. It should be noted that a drawback to your solution is that even a squad that continues to run without melee would have an easier time running PB with those changes applied (the degree to which it is easier can be debated, but I would say significantly easier specifically in the case of hamstring).

18. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    9:05 AM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    They should make PB vulnerable to shadow web, in an effort to make the boss more inclusive to nightlords

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. randomhs

randomhs Timer

May 25, 2020
    randomHS
    Oyasumi
    let i/l freeze the bean

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Zorele

Zorele Slimy