1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tribute to Skarmory: A Friend, Player, and Legend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vowels, May 1, 2023.

1. Lumina

Lumina Master Chronos

Jul 31, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    9:48 AM
    Night Lord
    BanStrike-1
    SHOUTOUT TO HIS COMMITMENT TO HIS MOTTO - no inheritance, no gear share, no rwt. I doubt anybody has ever consistently got top dpm without ever doing any of the 3.

Thank you for taking up guild leader job and going all the way to orbis to make pasta Skarm, always doing the* job that needs to be done.
    I'm sure many miss you for other reasons but for me, it always makes me enjoy pb a little more when you get your first and probably only stun at statues and you start wailing about your loss dpm even though it's literally like.. 3 seconds. Ik you'll have fun tryharding on all your other games, stay the same always -- ulus will miss you for sure :heartbeat:

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. shck

shck Timer Retired Staff

Feb 10, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    9:48 PM
    Recube
    Buccaneer
    Bloom
    While I find myself disagreeing with his views more often than not, the difference in opinion was mostly due to my own lack of ambition for the game and there was nothing inherently wrong with his mentality of taking everything he does in MapleLegends to the highest possible level.

I never had any interactions with him whatsoever and those that I did were strictly business;
    The 2 times I needed help with price checking, he delivered. This may seem like nothing, but among other PB hosts/runners who gave me fake prices for MW30 and opportunistic people who tried to lowball me on my perfect knuckle, he gave proper competitive prices at that point in time.

I had the luxury of running PB with Pasta2 for a short couple of weeks and I can only say personal relations with runners was handled far beyond expectations, especially when you look at the rest of the competition.

I can neither agree or disagree with what he was campaigning for/against, or comment on his unfortunate circumstances. But what I can do, is show my respect for an individual who against all odds, fought for what he believed.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    2:48 PM
    My interactions with Skarmory has mostly been around Pink Bean, and it has definitely been a journey. From the very beginning where i'm privileged enough to be part of the first sub-20 man PB runs to being a regular runner that is recognised as the most underrated PB runner, the eye that the man has and the acknowledgement given by him is something I very much appreciate. Over the course of the many PB runs we ran together, Skarmory has been passionate, committed, responsible, entertaining, and visionary all at the same time. Being the one that is able to macro and micro, which includes shot calling, multiclient handling, party management, performing great in dpm, and most importantly, still being able to have fun during all of these has been an impressive sight to see. Even in the worst scenario that a PB run failed, Skarmory has compensated apples at his own cost, to which he takes full responsibility of something that is a collective effort, he definitely has gain my respect in that regard.

I would also like to say thanks to Skarmory for using the sheet that I created which became "The Pasta Bank". After almost 1.5 years of usage, there's been a record of more than 2k+ rows of items and splits from roughly 150+ PB runs and some HT runs. These have facilitated the transactions across 150+ characters which includes 1k+ of bank transactions. Never have I thought this would be used in such a scale, and I'm very proud to see this happened. This would never be the case if Skarmory has not been persistent with dealing all the logistic required for running PB.

Although the Skarmory ending is not a fairytale one, I'm glad to know Skarmory enjoyed the journey. You know what people say, it's the journey that matters, and I'm happy we cross path in ML. I wish Skarmory the best and just have fun wherever he will be, as always.

• Like Like x 8
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. LiquidOoze

LiquidOoze Mixed Golem

Feb 7, 2018
    This person made fun of my chair irl.

Also one time when ImSinXD and I were going to run bodyguard A/B and the boss, skarmory decided to quit to join Maijin and another NLs run because we were too slow to get ready so we had to get Eiation for SE. Then in the middle of their run they got wiped and I thought that was well deserved.

All names in this story are no longer with us.

Pepepray

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Creative Creative x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    10:48 AM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    Guys thanks for your genuine comments towards our friend, the honesty and love is appreciated

Everyones posts are pretty good. I'd just like to remind future posters to keep it about your friendship with skarmory, your experiences or impressions. Whatever else, this isn't the place, this thread is only for appreciation.

Keep the good vibes!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Gen2 steel type flying pokemon gave me my first taste of running HT as a AM while the class was viable. Good times.

• Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. flow

flow Slimy

Jan 18, 2021
    Male
    Brazil
    10:48 AM
    Lisnar, HolyFlow, Theorist
    Buccaneer
    Funk
    Didn't got the chance to meet him, but i received a lot of insights created by him and you for sure changed ML forever, for me a good upgrade on it, a new way to play.
    Each one have their own motivation and way to have fun on this game, but it was just very hard to saw anyone promoting the game gameplay-wise, not everyone have fun talking 24/7 on town and you and pasta is basically a symbol of the peak gameplay, it was always impressive to see their achievements and of course of their leader, i don't play anymore but i'm sad to see this, a big lost to ML for sure.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    6:48 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    It's a hard pill to swallow that Skar won't be around anymore. It's evident through Gia's list of accolades and by the comments in this thread how impactful and well-respected he was in this community. Despite his oft meme-forward persona on forums, those who interacted with him in game or on discord could see that his main drive was to search for the best solution to any set of problems. While some might have seen this as abrasive, others could see that this was just his way of showing his own type of kindness.

I'm not sure what went down at the end of it, but I'm disappointed there couldn't have been a more amicable way of sorting things out by all parties. This is a small community that will only get smaller over time and we'll all eventually quit this game and move on with our lives. But I hope that during their time spent here, people remember to be kind and remember the kindness of others - even in the many ways they choose to express it.

Maple lost one of its legends and I can't imagine things will feel the same.

upload_2023-4-30_22-9-21.png

(This does feel like a funeral thread. Where are the Sarah McLachlan slideshows?)

• Like Like x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BumBum

BumBum Mano

Feb 26, 2020
    Male
    10:48 PM
    MacaoBum
    Bandit
    Skarmory was wonderful leader. I'd choose you as guild leader in a hundred lifetimes

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    3:48 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Sad to see you gone, clearly you will be missed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    4:48 PM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    I'm still figuring out my thoughts and the words to convey them with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Miniskirt

Miniskirt King Slime

Nov 15, 2020
    Miniskirt
    Corsair
    Perion
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
  13. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Guess it's testimonial time.

I'm typically not one to be swayed by things like gear or even skill or status tbh. From an outside perspective though I totally understood where people's view of skar as toxic, elitist, or whatever other labels we wanna throw out there came from. I've assumed it as well years ago, as my only interactions were typical trash talking in random discords (mostly summer iirc). Internet discussion, especially written, can't accurately say anything about the person behind the words though.

When the first non-30 man pb was first about to start up, I had joined the initial test run as a proof of concept, and subsequently invited to join the actual run. I wanted to see it happen and be a part of the history, but I was already a runner for the pb301 squad. I told skar I would help their first run but then go back to the 301 run. When things got... heated during the formation of this new run, skar asked if i still felt comfortable to do this run and was willing to go to bat on my behalf to smooth things out with the host to keep me out of the drama (I was, after all, lumped in with the 'defectors'). I respected that, especially considering we were acquaintances at best, with largely different goals. You can guess what came next as I chose to stick with him and was a runner with skar until the end.

We had different goals and different methods in-game, but I respected and understood the voice behind them. And that's not something you get from reading text alone. You probably won't catch me writing for most "elite toxic assholes", but skarmory was probably the most human one I've seen.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Snork

Snork Capt. Latanica

Feb 19, 2018
    Snorf
    Paladin
    Lore
    damn pour one out for a lost homie

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    I love how, at some point, he thought I was stronger than him. Boy was he wrong

• Friendly Friendly x 10
  16. sullivan

sullivan Slime

Jul 21, 2022
    Male
    11:48 PM
    sullivan
    Thank you for being a shadower believer.

• Like Like x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. kissMagE

kissMagE Selkie Jr.

May 28, 2017
    Female
    JoeL
    Beginner
    The saddest part of life is when the person who gave you the best memories becomes a memory.
    In skarmory we trust !

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Strong
    Knowledgeable
    Ambitious
    Resilient
    Memorable
    Optimistic
    Reliable
    You will be reminded

• Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Creative Creative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Ever

Ever Mixed Golem

Jun 23, 2017
    Female
    Ever
    Islander
    Team
    R.I.P Skar
    You were one of the few ppl who were both reliable and responsible in MapleLegends
    Good luck on your next journey

• Like Like x 7
  20. Zooploop

Zooploop Master Chronos

Aug 15, 2018
    Male
    Crusader
    I'm rising from the dead just to post on this after hearing about it. Skarmory was a supremely funny and genuine person with a hint of enigma. Always on the frontier, pushing the limits. I originally met them via California/Tempus alliance, got to know them much better after we did some Nameless duos for the hell of it, coming off of being a bozo soloing Dunas and Verga it was rather enjoyable. I also hitched some Honor runs with rather humorous results (pic related).

I remember when Skar was comparing me to Abby, who was a bit of a idol for me in my fledging days, even if it wasn't meant to be that way, I took it as a praise of sorts. They've been there from my start, and long after I had left. I know how controversial they were back then, but honestly couldn't beef with them even if I tried, I wish every community had a part-time nuclear psychist, part-time jester. My favorite memory is when in HT cave you asked me to change my fame settings just so you could defame me. Appreciate you man.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 9