1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The reason why our ToS needs to change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fael, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    1:29 PM
    At this point I honestly think some posts try to derail the conversation into a some action they don't like and try to bash GMs about it, and it doesn't provide any constructive value to the conversation at all.

Stop thinking your personal opinions as facts and maybe we can get to agree on a mutual point.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  2. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    6:29 PM
    not sure if u have reached end game. but theres more shit and potholes that can get u banned when u reach that level.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    7:29 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Really not sure about this “GMS HAVE A TRAP SET OUT FOR US IN TOS” argument. If you read the ToS, we’ve explicitly clarified what would result in a ban from our side:
    1. There needs to be an offended party
      • Meaning, a GM cant just go around banning people they want arbitrarily, we operate based on reports
      • We thought that was obvious, but apparently not, so we made it clearer
    2. An attempt to de escalate
      • This means you cant just be reported for doing something, we’re asking you to have a conversation. Hopefully the reporter will explain why they feel uncomfortable with being “stalked”. After which if the “stalker” explains what they’re doing and that its a misunderstanding, we hope that as mature adults people can realize whats going wrong.
      • If you feel like you’re being stalked, talk to them, explain why you feel uncomfortable.
      • If someone thinks you’re stalking them, talk to them, explain it clearly. If you refuse to do the bare minimum of having a conversation, or listen to their requests, thats on you.
    If we have wrongly banned, we will own up to it. Also a lot of these incidents under Section 3 are not announced to the public. So unless youre actively going around spreading you got banned, it shouldn’t affect public perception of you because there was no blue text. Harassment bans are silent. I think you might be mistaking “staff fucked up” with “staff didnt decide the way I wanted to”.

And I can cite every ban appeal I’ve dealt with and tell you that we give precise details of what they were banned for. I also run through which specific section of the ToS applies. So much so to the point people are mad that I went to so much detail (literally been cursed out on a few appeals cus of it). Is our standard across the board to this extreme? No, but it is of a level where people are given evidence. Or enough information about the evidence. If you believe your ban appeal was not handled to a standard you were happy with, please feel free to ask for another moderator or a supervisor to respond to your appeal.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    Hiyo
    Camper
    I have and I have yet to be banned and I’ve been around for a long time, it’s not hard to be a decent human and be in the endgame too. Plenty of others I know are in similar shoes as I am. Not everyone in this game is out to get you (generally speaking not specifically directed towards you).

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Friendly Friendly x 7
  5. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    The statement stands for itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    12:29 PM
    Moderator Post
    The idea behind 3.3.3 was to have a way to handle harassment/bullying so extreme that it would force an unfair negative image on a player, to the point where they no longer feel safe in the community.
    A heated discussion between players in a guild discord won't trigger it, a negative comment about another player won't trigger it either. Repeated mockery, or constantly calling someone a cheater to the point where it becomes a public "habit" in-game or in official discord as well, would trigger it.

Personally, I don't agree with it being too invasive of a rule. Its goal is to prevent those extreme cases regardless of where they originated. This is just my view on it though, and as Nise said, we are open to alter it based on feedback.

Please re-read the post you quoted. I'm arguing the exact thing you said.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. philip

philip Mixed Golem

Dec 11, 2018
    Male
    Denmark
    Ziggs, Annie, Aphelios
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta & Funk
    Okay, if this is the case why did you have to change this rule in ToS in the first place. Is it really not a trap to ban people for something that is not even written in the official ToS until legit yesterday? However Kimmy had posted details in a diffrent post (that is not in the official TOS) about it 5-6 years ago to the ToS that I believe most players did not even know about trying to clarify what Harrashment.

I know for a fact Game Moderaters think the rules for stalking is written stupidly. I also like how you very elegantly completely avoided answering what "Following" and "uncomfortable" exactly mean and when you are doing it and its these things that become quite tiring because you just have to stand there and state things in the most politically correct way. Can I not just have a clear answer or is this honestly only up to the Moederators to decide when following is "legally watching" and when its "stalking" and when you are "uncomfortable" and when its unreasonable to be "uncomfortable". example being the possibillity of having invisible moderators in your map stalking you or I mean moderators make the rules so they "legally watch you" or gm's tracking all the logs in the game.

How do you Moderators exactly clear people's names after falsely being accused? - Do you just say sorry here is 5.000 donor points?

Nise: "If you believe your ban appeal was not handled to a standard you were happy with, please feel free to ask for another moderator or a supervisor to respond to your appeal."
    - I don't believe that the moderators would ever admit that it is weird on the forums, but only in dm's that you can get banned for something that is not even written in the rule book, besides two of the gm's that dealed with it stepped down or got audited. My point is traps like this exist and you saying its not a trap is a complete lie and I think you also know that.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Dimez

Dimez Stone Golem

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    6:29 AM
    Crimez/Dimez/Jake
    Paladin
    Pasta
    The goal of 3.3.3 sounds good in nature.. no disagreements here. But allow me to use your own analogy with a spin. Can 30 people in a private non maple-legends official discord call someone a cheater repeatedly ? How about 30 people in a snapchat group chat, or an Instagram group chat, or twitter.. ..Would this fall under the lines of 3.3.3 .. If the answer is yes, what is the difference between this and going to a coffee shop with my guildies to talk horrible about Edann and how hes been cheating at playing maple-legends for years. (ILY Edann just using you as an example)

The issue here is that I've thrown this same question at different staff members and they give completely different answers.. some will say it's okay, and some will say it's completely against the TOS.(Bit of an anecdote but I am sure its not that hard to believe) There is no concrete answer or even consistency (and yes obviously its a case by case) but that's not the point I am trying to make by posing the question above.

Again I will say, I'm coming to this with an open mind, it's very possible I'm not actually seeing the underlying reasons behind 3.3.3 and I might need to be nudged there.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Flamous
    Bishop
    To me the main problem stems from a black and white ToS where each decision stems from a case by case decision from one or many moderator with no transparency.

The ruling and enforcing of the ToS hasn't changed since I started playing and like it or not we re reaching a similar point of community divide from 2016 all over again.
    #dontbringyourintgeartoschooltomorrow

10. Lynx

Lynx Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jan 13, 2020
    Male
    Beginner
    More than enough "room to learn" from your first 3 strikes and their consequences

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Just to clarify, NX rewards are only given with reports that lead to bans related to RWT, Botting, hacking and possibly when game breaking bug is discovered and reported. There will never be any NX reward for successfully reporting someone for harassment. If this wasn't what you meant then disregard my message :)

12. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Flamous
    Bishop
    Thanks for clarification! I'll remove that part :)

13. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    7:29 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I think this is a really important thing we must consider. This may sound elitist but that's not what I mean. It's just because it's impossible to have or even HEAR about any conflict when the Maple Story you play is actually on Maple Island and chat on discord.

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    3:29 AM
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    May I ask, what conflicts are unavoidable in late game?

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I won't say anything in specific because it may be considered public accusation and I'm 1 ban to go. But I can assure you there are a lot of attitudes from people that you wouldn't imagine. This is a 8 years old server, we got a lot of past. People said a lot of shit to the others in Discord before it was considered a bannable offense and other people get involved in conflicts because not everyone can turn a blind eye to lies or injustice. It's normal in the life for you to dislike specific people and publicly talk about it with jokes or insults with your friends c'mon don't tell me you don't do that. I just don't know why the hell there is something called "community harassment" and there are bans for talking on private discord servers. That's why a lot of ppl think that the Staff is trying to play God.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    I dislike people sure, but I won't publicly talk about it and insult them tbh. Most people have not offended me in such a way that garner that attention. However, I could just be an edge case. I do agree that there should be statute of limitations to avoid old history conflict and only narrow down harassment to recent events or start from Aug 2023.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Yeah man I don't insult or talk about everyone I dislike aswell. Unless they keep baiting you somehow. But as I said, I can't be more specific. I tried to make a Ban Appeal/Report Abuse and the Staff simply closed it telling me to post only the necessary information about who I was reporting hahahah but like yeah I literally told you all the necessary information but you guys don't wanna know what happened 1 year ago and why people have been baiting like they do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Oolong

Oolong Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2019
    Female
    5:29 AM
    xoJoolie
    Bowman
    Perion
    Seeing the drama will always be inevitable. However, involving or inserting yourself in the drama to the point where you get the harassment ban is a choice. Like Hiyo said above, a lot of us have been here for 2+ years and haven't been banned. For anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Maybe you just had the luck of never facing a real baiter. Plus you both were from Staff. Do you think people treat staff members - even if they're retired - the same as regular players?

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Maybe a suggestion can be to talk to a GM you trust and discuss the issue you have in hand since you can't disclose it publicly. I do hope you can resolve it.