1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The State of Maplelegends Economy 0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cornwall, May 17, 2023.

1. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    7:42 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    It's both - NPC price of rocks go up - market values go up. Player-to-player sales tax goes up - more mesos burned per transaction either way.
    People aren't NPCing their summon rocks for 1 mesos to begin with. The problem is existing supply and most likely the high farmability versus consumption rate.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    9:42 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    my point is with enough farming capacity, a NPC price increase can induce more players to undercut and decrease the amount of mesos destroyed

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Hard to tell since we don't have that data yet. It still boils down to supply. Summon rocks don't get burned as fast as pots so the demand is fairly low, and sure, increased NPC prices might have turned more players to player-supplied rocks in the market, but for those in the "fuck it i'll buy from Alcaster for convenience" circle, they're paying 50% more and burning that much more than before.

Personally, I cbf owling for rocks because I don't care enough for the marginal savings (250k/stack). My time is more valuable spent elsewhere, honestly. Maybe my perspective is skewing what the normal practice is. I'm also not buying elixirs over bulls for the savings when I know I should be, but that's a luxury/convenience tax I'm happy and am able to pay.

Again, the issue is less the price changes and more the farmability of said items.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    yep, effect of every balance change should be monitored, and if there is no effect it’s better to revert

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    IMO, easier to monitor the entire flow of mesos (seems like that's what they did from previous data shown) rather than micromanaging each item. This passes the buck onto items like NLC pots and those who use them, but it also makes more valuable other items such as elixirs, power elixirs, etc. that can be farmed and used to supplement the increased pot expenses.

Things like white potions, unagis, etc. that are often NPC'd also increase in their utility when pot burn becomes something not as easily dismissible.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    it is, but it's also lazy. lazy fixes are more likely to be distortionary

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Unpopular opinion, but game would be less fun if everything was made to be perfect. Navigating around the good and bad is what distinguishes between good and bad players.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    10:42 PM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    tfw I purchased Magic Rocks in the FM earlier for 3000 Meso each (way less than NPC price lol)

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  9. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    11:42 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Quite a late response, as I've been traveling the past few weeks but wanted to ask about this.
    1. Based on our previous Balance Changes post data shows that the economy is still inflating. The data is three months old data at this point, but nothing in the last round of balance changes would've affected the two points you're trying to takcle (multimage & RWT bans). While not ready for publication, I can quite comfortably say the rate of meso supply change has remained positive consistently. Additionally, the decrease in the amount of banned mesos has also continued.
      • Meso Generated - ( Meso Sank + Meso Banned )
    2. In this case, is there a need to "recover" the loss of meso generated?
    3. Also, wouldn't increasing the meso drop rate simply just inflate everything all across the board, making things the same result anyway?
    4. Finally, what is this "loss of multi mage" players that you're referring to? Is it a reference to population drop (whether it be due to lack of event, or just people generally quitting, or people being banned)? Or are you referring to some specific change that happened recently (talking within the past few months) that caused a decrease in multi mage players?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    The "lost" mesos is more accurately defined as "lost potential mesos" as the mesos being generated daily by many players farming using 6 mages at Temple of Time was abruptly crashing down by not being able to basically AFK-farm any longer. Players were raking in collectively billions daily via the raw mesos alone (not to mention the insane amount of Gachapon Tickets, Piece of Time and high value equips like 103 Dark Neschere, etc.

https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...nspired-by-shivering.41316/page-6#post-303456

[​IMG]

Akash said that he was averaging 55mill per 1 hour, while also bossing on the side. This is just one example but clearly due to nerf and opportunity cost was a real factor.

[​IMG]

So to answer your question, is there a need to "recover" the lost potential from all this?

No, not really, but it did help make up the deficit from lack of new players boosting the economy through natural growth and progression.

Do I think that raw 2x meso across the board itself causes inflation? Again, no, it will be up the the players to farm mesos once again to decide, if it is truly worth their time.

Opportunity cost is huge here when considering how many other options there are currently still left unchecked (Vikerola, ULU1 and more). It's the phrase, if you build it, they will come. But realistically not everyone is dedicated enough to really min-max the raw meso increase. This is even further amplified with the previous patch that nerf'd Sweeper mules.

Remember that you cannot pick-up mesos from another account more than 1000. So if the raw meso droprate was doubled, many people would not be able to farm at those current locations above since the meso would be too high to pick-up. No one would be farming higher level monster spot locations any longer.

So this once change of 2x meso drop rate does not directly impact the economy in any disapproving way of the average player,
    if anything they are even more rewarded for their time playing this game, giving them the higher purchasing power to reach their goals ever so slightly faster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Farming items should be worthwhile, farming gachapon should not be the way to make money. Drop rates are too low and gachapon should not drop from high density maps.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. jasonyuns

jasonyuns Blue Snail

Mar 3, 2020
    Feast
    White Knight
    Idk people keep saying"market will fix itself" but thats not true and we all know it. We have systems irl in place like antitrust laws to prevent monopolies from dominating the market and controlling prices whereas in legends, players take a break and come back after a while, and we have small influx of new players during the summer or events. To tell me that the market for x scroll will fix itself is just ridiculous. There are high end players who are already done with their weapons or other scrolls and players hoarding or buying all of 1 scroll is not admonished or kept in check by ANY staff members. and i dont disagree with them for not doing anything for it is called a "free" market. its delusional and false to think that the "market" will control itself and postt like a link to a very generalized sense of basic economics. I remember one person saying that value isnt determined by supply and demand under economic theories, well thats because the economic theories determine how a market should conduct itself within a said social construct that differs in traditional/cultural values. Not sure if people are just not educated in economics or read a google docs and thinking, "hoarding and setting scrolls above market price because i have the money since i am a long time player and had more time and means to earn money than a newer player isnt hurting the game or economy of our game" is just plain ridiculous. OFC there should be a disparity between the OGs and the new players but to try to justify cringe RP element of hoarding scrolls and putting them for sale higher than avg price does leave a bad taste in many players mouth. It isnt against ToS or is isnt breaking any "laws" or its not directly hurting the community, but youd be lying or be so disconnected from human touch to try to justify it as being "natural". If one person has 120xs gloves for att 30% and no one else has more than maybe 1~2 from occasional gach, how will the market fix itself? especially most money making activities come from past 4th job for consistent meso and the prices are jacked up? I remember 10 att WGs used to be worth 10~15m now its upwards of 20m because of all the GFA scrolls being bought and sold by 2~3 people. if you can explain and tell me how that isnt a barrier to entry for newer players, please elaborate

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    Easier said than done. Why don't you make a suggestion instead of rambling?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    actually thats just how the market works. start undercutting!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    What’s the monetary incentive for someone to hold hundreds of scrolls worth billions doing nothing with them?

16. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    4:42 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Do you take constructive criticism with regards to formatting posts?

17. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    11:42 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Well technically in an inflationary setting, holding items could be argued to be better than holding onto raw mesos. Inflation reduces the value of raw mesos, so even if the value of goods (not price, just talking about value) remains the same, you'd get more mesos for it. Or at least that would be how you'd justify it I think.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    the only relevant cash is prestigious coins

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Even in this scenario they’re only gaining value relative to mesos, not relative to the rest of the economy. You’re not actually gaining value like this, just not losing any.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    10:42 AM
    Still better than losing. Its the same as not holding 100% cash irl.