1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The reason why our ToS needs to change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fael, Jul 6, 2023.

1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    1:26 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    This is an entirely different debate, but I think one thing that helps build trust with the community is a face they recognize and respect. Recently there's been several Staff members that cannot be identified (Abagnale, Noire), and while they may have perfectly legitimate reasons for that, it's much easier to give the blind benefit of the doubt when a Staff member is well-liked, trusted, and seen as competent already by a large portion of the community (Nightz and Glaceon immediately come to mind). Not saying that anonymous staff shouldn't be allowed, just wanted to chime in that people are more willing to trust a face they know and already trust, and more willing to nitpick and complain about someone who hides.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The problem I have with a ToS that gets changed due to a difficult decision is that it comes across as a means to wash over pre-existing flaws in the ToS.

"Hey this player did ___ but there were no rules written about it, so we banned them and then wrote a new rule about it."

The above fails to admit that the previous ToS had flaws, and that the player, even though they may have been abiding by the flawed ToS, was ultimately punished for it. I believe this is why Fartsy wants a set ToS (presumably, this is what Staff is already attempting) and wants punishment to be exacted only on them. In a sense, we're asking for similar things but approaching it from different angles - punishment should never be handed out if rules have not existed prior.

That said, the severity of crime should always be the main focus for these types of judgment which was why I suggested the route that gives Staff ultimate authority, but that would require trust from players and training for Staff.

Going back to the point of perfectionism, I think it's important to note that Staff, whether under professional obligation or as volunteer, should be expected to operate with openness and transparency about mistakes made, whatever it may be. I personally find operating behind a ToS and constantly tweaking it in an attempt to create some type of immutable system is the exact opposite of this.

When the community itself is so small, I'd expect a conversation to be had rather than a series of pre-written rules Staff can follow to hand out judgment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    4:26 PM
    democracy when?
    party (guild) representation when?

4. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    5:26 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Sometimes its so fun to see so many players think being toxic as cool thing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    10:26 AM
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    upload_2023-7-22_19-37-58.png

Ur under arrest for TOS section 3.3.3 come with staff RIGHT FCKING NOW

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    11:26 AM
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    This person is banned because rmt jokes lol as I recall 80% of my bl is permanent banned

7. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    In other news, higher evolved life form complains they are unable to communicate properly without usage of slurs. More at 11.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  8. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    why did the staff team deleted my message? it was my honest opinion about the state of the server and you should respect it , I spent no more than 2minutes writing it down and now it gone to waste

dictator gamemaster with a small pp :(

• Creative Creative x 3
  9. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    You should write a longer one, maybe that way it’ll take people longer to read and stay up for more time.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    Look I just don’t think people should be banned because they called someone a retard or many forbidden slurs I cannot say :) I will understand if it’s death threats or someone exposing ur real name , age , and stuff like that anyway I said snowflake legends right?

• Creative Creative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Maybe if you complain more people will agree with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Will never understand people that have the most disgusting attitude they can have and then try to bring up takes like "If you were not so strict people like us would have existed in the server" like its some attraction or positivity or something lol

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I agree. I don’t think people should be banned for saying something that can be seen as offensive. They should be banned depending on their posturing after being confronted about it, though.

14. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    my guy that’s not the point, why would a person who called someone out as a retard is being permanently banned? It doesn’t make any sense at all , I’ve never had this experience before in any game I played,sometimes people make dumb mistakes or get on ur nerves and if u never experienced it you probably need to talk more or play ur game more often

15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    3:26 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    that's just a lack of attempt to understand the opposing side. much of the time people have good intent, but just operate on a different set of information.

16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I feel like we can confidently rule out “good intent” here

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    My point is that you try to approach your point in the most rude and non-polite way to the point there's no way anyone can take you seriously. Nobody gets just permanently banned for saying that word, but if the person (or you) is just rude, negative, and just contributes nothing but negativity to the server I would not want you here. Basically, your way of approaching your point is EXACTLY the kind of people I do not want in here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    B word

• Creative Creative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    How many strikes does he have left :V

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    4:26 AM
    I'm sorry can i get a TLDR? Can people still get banned for "leaked" private discord messages? in guild discord messages? does this depend on severity of the situation? if someone didnt pay for leech or some other shit, i can't smega it assume, but can i talk about it in guild/buddy chat? in fm chat? i think these are more relevant situations for many of us.