1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Leech Mechanic Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by akashsky, Apr 3, 2023.

Is leech fine in its current state?

1. yes

40 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. no

45 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    4:45 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Show me a $levels curve of someone grinding that matches that of someone getting leeched and I'll take your responses seriously.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. ColourOS

ColourOS Slime

Jul 25, 2023
    Male
    1:45 PM
    completely agree, like, what if i just want to take the tram? why should the tram line take a longer route to reach the destination just because others want to hike? Like make the hiking trail nicer and more efficient then

• Like Like x 2
  3. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Dark Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    7:45 AM
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
    Look at the level histories in my previous post?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    7:45 AM
    iPippy
    Just here to point out that 2017 was a far different game than 2023.

And if you could control 5 characters at the same time, then you could be leeching 25 characters.

• Like Like x 3
  5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    And using my analogy, it exemplifies how your suggestion would make things generally worse for everyone, so it might not be a great solution - at least for this particular leg of the overall balance discussion.

[​IMG]

Leeching 1-70 for 4 characters took less than 10 days for fully INT'd thieves. There really is no comparison to the effectiveness of leech versus grinding. It's even less comparable if you gauge the time it takes to grind X amount of mesos in order to fund Y amount of leech for 5 characters. The current leech mechanic allows for an insane rate of scaling up which is what Akash is arguing against as imbalanced.

That being said, I think there needs to be a better way to allow new players to get to relevant/social aspects of this server - which are typically at the early bossing levels. 3rd job is where most people burn out from the grind, which is where leeching coincidentally becomes extremely efficient. The idealistic change would be to make 70-120 grinding more comparable to the effectiveness of leech. However, this change would not tackle the ever growing 'issue' that players can simply leech armies with seemingly very little effort - 'issue' being in quotes because whether or not it is an issue is up for debate.

6. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I know this is incredibly unhelpful but I change my vote every time the poll becomes unbalanced to keep it 50:50.

• Great Work Great Work x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Zeya

Zeya Orange Mushroom

Aug 31, 2021
    Female
    Ireland
    12:45 PM
    Based

8. GooBeR

GooBeR Master Chronos

Aug 29, 2021
    Ain't nobody got time to read anything other than the thread title.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    6:45 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    shoutout to bloodiest the goat

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I would've cared about this back in 2017, but this late into the server's life I am more worried about endgame. I think the best way to improve the grinding situation would be to make a seasonal ironman mode: when exiting the training camp on Maple Island, allow players the option to lock-in as an ironman character. This character can only trade and party with other ironmen until the season ends. During that time, however, they get an additional 2x EXP until they reach level 120. Seasons should last three months. This would encourage people to replay the game during the season to make new characters and help get new players up to speed with the community.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
    • Creative Creative x 2
  11. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Headless Horseman

Mar 13, 2023
    5:45 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    that actually sounds like a really cool idea, I could see this having potential honestly

• Friendly Friendly x 1