1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information November 2023 Balance Changes [Explained]

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Nise, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    8:34 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    That's understandable and you wouldn't be the only IL that put 1 point in CL at level 120. However, you also wouldnt notice the difference in damage from pre or post patch in that 1 level in CL. I think you're overblowing certain aspects that are just not as relevant to the change

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    2:34 AM
    And you are understating. Its alright, instead of addressing separate points on thread, I will be making a separate thread on all the ridiculous issues of the new formula you have neglected or are deliberating trying to bury.

• Creative Creative x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Dark Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    2:34 PM
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
    Buffing the strong/rich and nerfing the weak/poor is the exact opposite of balance. This change either needs to be reverted or the team needs to come up with a better solution that works for all.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. mjk

mjk Master Chronos

Mar 22, 2020
    Male
    11:34 AM
    MattNL
    Night Lord
    Pasta
    Lets just buff everyone as much as possible so the worst possible builds can still feel strong

what are we even talking about in this thread anymore?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:34 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    actually takes less if you think in terms of marginal tma/cost

6. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    3:34 PM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    mage can make mesos with ease, the concept of a weak/poor mage is self-inflicted if there's a refusal to kill mobs and fund the class and build the class properly, it's often the case that mages end up funding their attackers instead of themselves. should we assume your NL is as poor and with 100 dex or something or you dedicate proper attention to it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    I remember adding a few points to blizzard on my il, but maxing cl first because I didn't need the extra power of those points in blizz nor want the extra mp cost at the time. Plus, I wanted to play a mage, not an ult-bot. Even if it's inefficient, that level range is still absurdly fast.

I see nothing in this new formula that would have changed how I played it then, and I'd do it again now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    it IS kinda weird that a higher lvl mage does LESS damage, with everything else being equal.
    If i didnt know about the formula, i would have expected same TMA = same damage regardless of levels..... and most people won't know the formula.

(i still think this change is great overall. just...this part is a bit counterintuitive)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    You're seeing it in the reverse perspective.
    Think of it like any other class - if a level 190 NL has stronger gear than a level 200 NL and does more damage than the level 200 NL, that's perfectly fine.
    My bishop might have lower TMA because it's 8 levels lower than him, but it has stronger gear than WackyWarlock so it's being given bonus damage for having stronger gear.
    If I leveled up my 192 bishop to 200 and sold off my gear to match that of WackyWarlock's TMA, then my DPM rightfully would go down and match his.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I'd imagine it'd be more intuitive if the way that magic attack was calculated and displayed was tweaked tbh, similar to "Combat Power" in PoGo. Just a simple easy to understand number that doesn't actually accurately reflect your actual damage output but is easily digestible by casuals as an overall representation of strength.

That being said, the math behind it makes sense even if the display numbers feel wonky.

11. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    This "Buffing the strong/rich and nerfing the weak/poor is the exact opposite of balance. This change either needs to be reverted or the team needs to come up with a better solution that works for all." sounds a bit familiar, I'm having deja vu.

The tables have turned, back to the island for me

12. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    does lvl 200 NL do less damage than lvl 192 NL with same ATK?

13. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    How can the 200 NL have the same ATK as the 192 NL if the 192 NL has better gear and does more damage?
    Again, you're getting stuck on the TMA and not looking at the gear itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    9:34 PM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    The reading comprehension of the avarage forums poster

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Why not? What if they have the same exact attack but the lvl 192 NL has an additional 40 luk making their stats exactly the same. Based on the logic of the new mage formula the lvl 200 NL will have less dmg.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Guys, remember that median IQ is median for a reason.

Not everyone can be above the 50% threshold.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. dr0p

dr0p Slime

Jul 24, 2023
    dr0p
    I/L Arch Mage
    I'm just a level 121 IL who joined MapleLegends four months ago, but I've read all 14 pages of this thread thus far, and I feel like this is getting a bit more heated and complicated than it has to be, and all the possible arguments have been made but people aren't really listening to each other or budging on their stances.

Personally I don't have a problem with the change at all, it just increases the weight of gear relative to what it was before, which seems to be a very positive change given the fortunes archmages have had to pour into their gear for very marginal changes to their damage output. Imagine if we had started with this post-patch situation and shifted to what things were like pre-patch - I think we'd have a ton of people (rightfully) reeling from years of grinding meso suddenly made inconsequential due to level and AP in INT being the only thing that mattered anymore. Any change like this will move some people up and some people down relative to each other, and therefore any change is going to ruffle feathers, but given the state of the meta the way I understand it, this balance patch has taken things much more towards the way that they should go.

Worried your mage will get weaker as he/she levels? Put levelup AP into INT. Save up for better gear if you want. I mean, isn't that the game...?

Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know, but that's my feeling reading through all of this~

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 16
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Welcome to the forums

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:34 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    if you add unnecessary stats like str to your nl youll get roughly the same result. Wackywarlock can def upgrade by tossing gloves and staff and capping total luk at 100. He just chooses not to.

20. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    edited:

I'll keep it simple for you to understand: I'm comparing mage with same TMA but different level, and attackers with same atk but different level. if attackers with same atk does the same dmg regardless of lvl, then mage with same TMA should do the same dmg as well regardless of lvl.

Im just pointing out the unintuitive nature of this. i still think the changes are good.

tbh i also think people complaining about other aspect of this change is complaining too much

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023