1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ingame smegas/announcement screening on Discord

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by randomGuy, Dec 4, 2023.

1. randomGuy

randomGuy Red Snail

Feb 16, 2022
    11:14 AM
    BlackJeans
    Bowmaster
    Background:
    I believe every player has been paying attention to in game smegas and potentially participating in public boss recruiting.
    But to be able to view these smegas, sometimes I just need to keep my fm hoe online just to make sure i won't miss a public boss recruiting that i could be interested in(or a good joke :)).

It is also hard to find a bish for zak/ht :(

My Suggestion:
    What if we can add ingame smegas screening on our ML discord and have a dedicated channel for it?
    For example for ingame public messages, we display them in discord:
    1. Smega: display player ign and message(probably player can add their dc name too)
    2. Item smega: a screenshot of the item(or if technically too difficult, just item name and stats), plyer ign and message
    3. GM events and boofs (who will want to miss those??)
    4. Other ingame annoucement, like a chad hit 200 level, or a cute couple's wedding

Technically possible?
    I am no discord power user, but MAYBE and MOST LIKELY there is an API that can publish discord message.
    I am no old school game code expert. But in game smega is probably just real time message pushing to players that have channel established when online.
    So my guess is adding async api calling to the message pushing process shouldn't be too complicated. But this is only analysis from me, don't take it for grant.

Pro:
    1. This definitely helps player participating in more ingame activities and also helps hosts to get participants.
    2. Along with gm events/buffs, there will be more active online status players. More buff also means more bossing and grinding thus more recruiting!

Con:
    1. too much custom?
    2. fm ho like me will probably stay dead and stats of online player count will decrease.(!!but i believe it should be short term impact)

Thank you for reading, let us know what you think!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Great Work Great Work x 8
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I have no idea if this is technically feasible but this would be a fantastic change. I used to play private ARK servers where this was a thing, and in-game chat and notifications could be fed to Discord through a bot and it was incredibly helpful.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    7:14 PM
    As a junior developer, I think this is very doable. And also I see no downside of it. Pog.

About your "too custom" concern, I have an even more custom idea haha, how about rework chatting box to make in-game chatting accessible across platforms? Make a dedicated discord channel, and let users bind their character to discord id, enable player using discord to engage chatting ingame :D. Sounds fun, but too custom.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    2:14 PM
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Reset
    This would be magical! Unsure about feasibility, but it would be really, really cool to bring the server and Discord channels closer together. Especially for the #recruitments channel.

5. OP
    OP
    randomGuy

randomGuy Red Snail

Feb 16, 2022
    BlackJeans
    Bowmaster
    I actually did thought about it and it will be great to actually have. But I do have some concerns.

For whispers/buddy/guild chat:
    For message receiving, you will need to make sure only the correct audience can receive the message. This will require authorization/authentication not only in ML side but also in Discord side.
    For message replying, as far as i know you will need to be online status to actually reply it. But without user's online status channel established to server, backend probably will need to be reworked to keep channels open for every in game characters that have discord binded.(as you know, if you dm a offline player, system will only tell you "Can not find player 'xxx'".) And also again, what about authorization/authentication.
    For personal social platform binding, even though it can be made optional, I do think ML staff will not like it, just like topg used to ask for social platform binding to vote and you know what happened.

But that being said, it is a cool idea :D

• Agree Agree x 1